PDA

View Full Version : Is there a spot for Homer

brm7675
04-06-2011, 11:46 AM
With each game passing by with continual great pitching, I really have to wonder if it isn't time to begin considering trading Homer. Yes he is still young, but come on at this point I feel he is never going to be able to put together a completely healthy season and never be more then a thrower. If you look at Leake last night, he never seemed out of control and even when he did struggle a bit in the 3rd he still got through it. I feel Homer was given his chances and for whatever reason couldn't put all the pieces together here in cincy and we have the depth now to make a move and move on with the likes of Wood, Leake, Bronson, Cueto and such.

davrix
04-06-2011, 12:24 PM
Of our young starting pitching, I think Bailey or Volquez would be the easiest to let go, but it would be nice for Baily to come out and have a few good outings before any attempted trade.

mattfeet
04-06-2011, 12:32 PM
Im not ready to sever ties with Bailey. This team has depth, and that's not something we should take for granted only 1 week into the season. At the MINIMUM, ride everyone out until the ASB. If we're in contention and need a true #1 Lease, then we can approach a trade idea at that point. For now, let's appreciate and enjoy the depth and talent our Redlegs are fortunately blessed with.

-Matt

bshall2105
04-06-2011, 01:03 PM
Even if hes not in the rotation I'll take him in the bullpen over Maloney and Lecure.

brm7675
04-06-2011, 01:47 PM
Even if hes not in the rotation I'll take him in the bullpen over Maloney and Lecure.

Not me, Homer doesn't have the mentality to work out of the bullpen, he believes he is a SP and has even said it takes him a long time to warm up. Right now I don't see him or Cueto being able to go until early May at the earliest, and that is with a few starts at AAA.

Captain13
04-06-2011, 04:00 PM
I think to worry about it now is premature. By May, one of our other pitchers could be struggling, or worse. If not, then the Reds could extend his rehab stint and/or throw him in the pen. I know he would rather start, but I believe he will do whatever it takes to stay in bigs.

davereds24
04-06-2011, 04:19 PM
Lets wait a few months before we judge Leake. He looked solid, but still had to throw a lot of pitches to beat an offense that isn't much better than Louisville. The chances of all 6 being healthy and throwing well at the same time is very slim.

Knightro28
04-06-2011, 04:33 PM
he believes he is a SP and has even said it takes him a long time to warm up.

This seems like a silly excuse. Just tell Homer to suck it up and get ready.

Krawhitham
04-06-2011, 04:46 PM
He can have Volquez's spot

Krawhitham
04-06-2011, 04:49 PM
Of our young starting pitching, I think Bailey or Volquez would be the easiest to let go, but it would be nice for Baily to come out and have a few good outings before any attempted trade.

Trade Volquez, he wants big money next year. Homer is still cheap

malcontent
04-06-2011, 05:09 PM
I've been for trading Bailey for prospects for quite awhile.

I think Maloney, Willis and Lecure are plenty of insurance should one of the other five starters go down.

Of course, his shoulder issues aren't helping his trade value.

The DARK
04-06-2011, 05:13 PM
I do wonder if we actually are looking at a 6 man rotation here. Bronson could use a bit of rest between starts while recovering from mono, Mike still needs to keep his innings under control, and if Edinson, Homer, or Johnny is having control trouble, he can take a start off to work with the trainers. Not to mention, having 6 options gives Dusty a lot of flexibility in terms of having the right pitchers in the right conditions. And if it becomes too much, there's always room for Leake in the bullpen.

brm7675
04-06-2011, 05:46 PM
I do wonder if we actually are looking at a 6 man rotation here. Bronson could use a bit of rest between starts while recovering from mono, Mike still needs to keep his innings under control, and if Edinson, Homer, or Johnny is having control trouble, he can take a start off to work with the trainers. Not to mention, having 6 options gives Dusty a lot of flexibility in terms of having the right pitchers in the right conditions. And if it becomes too much, there's always room for Leake in the bullpen.

Starting pitchers don't like it when their routine is messed with, they like to go every 5th day and to throw that off usually is not a good thing. Also why would you ever even consider putting Leake in the bullpen?

The DARK
04-06-2011, 06:04 PM
Starting pitchers don't like it when their routine is messed with, they like to go every 5th day and to throw that off usually is not a good thing. Also why would you ever even consider putting Leake in the bullpen?

He'd be very useful as a long man, more so than Maloney, if one of our starters gets blown up. He could do spot starts without having to be shuffled back and forth between Louisville. And if he's not going back to Louisville, where is one of the six starters going? Jocketty is not gonna trade for the sake of trading (especially if it disrupts the clubhouse) unless he can find someone that could legitimately bolster the Reds. The only positions where that could possibly happen are SS, where there are few names on the market, LF, where Sappelt/Heisey/Alonso/Francisco are all looking to force their way into a starting role, and the top of the rotation, where no team is currently out selling starting pitching (King Felix doesn't look to be on the market).

Your point about the routine I see, but unless Dusty is insane enough to try to send Wood back to Louisville, where else does Leake have to go?

NeilHamburger
04-06-2011, 06:12 PM
Come on. Leake just pitched in 40 degree weather against the worst offense in baseball. And it's not like he was dominating. Both Lee and Pence hit balls that would've been home runs if it were in the 70's. When Bailey returns I put him in the rotation without hesitation.

UPRedsFan
04-06-2011, 10:30 PM
Exactly right. and that's what Dusty and Walt will do. Leake will be the long guy or be a spot starter if needed. There are big wild cards with this rotation. Volquez could blow up and not recover in a start where you'd need Leake to come in the 3rd or so. Or Arroyo may have a night with no energy - same scenario. You need a good long man.