PDA

View Full Version : Do Catchers Call Games Any More?

redssince75
04-07-2011, 01:09 PM
Some of the comments about EV have me wondering.......

As I noted in another thread, our announcers had a lot of discussion last night about EV not "trusting" his fastball and throwing it enough, or about all the other kinds of pitches he was throwing that maybe he shouldn't have been. Then, after the game, I saw Dusty say something (in an article) to the same effect, that EV showed every pitch he had to every batter in the first inning, and he should settle down and just go with a couple of his best pitches.

Is the catcher not calling the game? Isn't he responsible for the types of pitches EV is throwing (not counting shake-offs, of course)? Why was the role of the catcher not mentioned at all in any of this?

swaisuc
04-07-2011, 01:57 PM
In general the answer is, it depends. It depends on the team, depends on the pitcher, depends on the catcher, etc.

I'm with you though that I'm curious how things break down for the Reds. If I had to guess, I would think Hernandez is calling most of the pitches for EV.

The DARK
04-07-2011, 02:13 PM
I'm not sure about this, but it seems to me that all Reds catchers call the games. I know Hanigan does, Hernandez would probably as a veteran in charge of guys who are prone to blowing up, and Corky seems to be teaching Mes the art of it in AAA.

goreds2
04-07-2011, 07:02 PM
I don't think next game starters chart pitches anymore.

kfm
04-07-2011, 07:56 PM
I actually heard an interview with Rick Sweet and he basically said that in professional baseball catchers call the game period.

Kingspoint
04-10-2011, 01:45 PM
They pointed out on the broadcasts that there's a specific REDS' Coach (they showed his face and said his name, but I forgot who it was...and for some reason, I don't think it was Price_ that has been calling all of the pitches so far this year.