PDA

View Full Version : Janish should backup Rolen

bshall2105
04-12-2011, 07:19 PM
Why does it have to be Renteria that moves to third? Nobody seems to be happy with Cairo or Francisco as the backup 3rd basemen, mainly for defensive purposes. So when Rolen needs a day off why not plug Paul in at third and let Renteria play short.

IMO this gives the Reds the best potential defensive alignment when Rolen is out, and we'd be able to send Francisco or Cairo down if there is a need for another outfielder.

R_Webb18
04-12-2011, 07:41 PM
i hope your joking. if Francisco gets ahold of the ball watch out.......

KYRedLeg
04-12-2011, 07:42 PM

That would involve not swinging at the first pitch he sees, regardless of what it is, and popping out....right?

I've always been disappointed in Juan's defense...I prefer Janish at short, but Renteria at 3rd definitely strikes me as a step up from Francisco.

bshall2105
04-12-2011, 09:11 PM

With 2 career home runs that's a pretty big "if"

Stray
04-12-2011, 09:40 PM
If Francisco is the future at 3rd I'd like him to get his fair share of starts when Rolen is resting.

bleedsred
04-12-2011, 09:51 PM
Francisco needs to be playing every day, he is not getting any better sitting on the bench collecting 1 or maybe 2 starts per week while getting to ph here and there. Hermidia seems like a better fit to play once a week and ph in the late innings, jmho. Don't get me wrong, I like JF but I just think he needs to be playing. Cairo and Edgar can back up the infield....can Hermidia or Heisey play 1st in an emergency situation???

Kingspoint
04-12-2011, 11:18 PM
Just out:

Article on Janish from CBS Sportsline:

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/story/14936540/overshadowed-janish-quietly-seizing-shot-with-reds

Or, as Baker says, "I'm always happy to see a young man seize an opportunity. ... I said the job was his this spring, but it was more giving him the opportunity. It's refreshing to see, especially in modern times when everybody thinks they're entitled."

Kingspoint
04-13-2011, 02:04 AM
Here's the proof (from the above article) that Dusty Baker has had a lot of influence on player personnel, and that our G.M. doesn't get to make all of the player personnel decisions:

Among the things that helped Janish maintain confidence and perspective during the summer -- and among the examples of why Baker is so skilled at handling players -- was the fact that the manager recruited one of his former players, Rich Aurilia, to essentially act as a psychological tutor.

When Aurilia was a pup coming up in San Francisco, same thing had happened to him with Royce Clayton, Shawon Dunston and Jose Vizcaino.

"Richie had to do it three times," Baker says of his former shortstop having the rug pulled out from under him as a young player. "Paulie had to do it once.

"At least this time I had a little more input than last time with Rich."

Meaning, as an established manager now, Baker is allowed more input by general manager Walt Jocketty than he was back in the early days in San Francisco by then-GM Bob Quinn.

The conversations with Aurilia meant a lot to Janish.

"I didn't know Rich well, but he's an awesome guy," Janish says. "And Dusty getting me in touch with him showed me a lot about what Dusty thought of me long-term, too."

That's a lot more than just "input", when players like Corey Patterson and the likes not only are signed to the team, but make the 25-man roster and start and bat leadoff.

Just saying that it answers a lot of questions that have been around here since Baker arrived.

bounty37h
04-13-2011, 09:57 AM
If Francisco is the future at 3rd I'd like him to get his fair share of starts when Rolen is resting.

If Francisco is the future at 3rd I would like to find a new future.

VottoFan54
04-13-2011, 11:10 PM
If Francisco is the future at 3rd I would like to find a new future.

I agree, I dont see whats to like about a guy who strikes out alot and almost never walks, is a free swinger, and plays bad defense. There seems to be good power there but other than that I see nothing. IMO Frazier has a better chance at being a decent third baseman than Francisco.

R_Webb18
04-13-2011, 11:34 PM
With 2 career home runs that's a pretty big "if"

my post was a joke..