PDA

View Full Version : Jonny Gomes' nice start to the season

mlh1981
04-16-2011, 06:24 PM
Really loving the early season approach by Gomes this far in 2011.

He's displaying a much better eye at the plate, and though his average is .268, those walks are really showing up in his overall .456 OBP.

His fiery attitude is insturmental in the overall success of this ballclub, I feel. Votto and Rolen are the quiet, lead by example types, and Gomes is the big personality that every ballclub needs.

His outfield defense is still a concern, but there's always Chris Heisey to throw in there for late inning situations. Just thinking of that, and thinking of Heisey overall, makes me very happy about the depth of this ball club.

Gomes may end up regressing to the mean, but for right now, I'm appreciative of his efforts, and they shouldn't go unnoticed.

davereds24
04-16-2011, 06:27 PM
It's a great suprise to this season. I'm sure he'll slump soon but lets enjoy it while it lasts.

BTW his average is .268 and OBP is .456. 1.139 OPS :eek:

mlh1981
04-16-2011, 06:28 PM
It's a great suprise to this season. I'm sure he'll slump soon but lets enjoy it while it lasts.

BTW his average is .268 and OBP is .456. 1.139 OPS :eek:

Ok, thanks. I will edit my original post. I got the stats off yahoo, and I guess they haven't updated them.

davereds24
04-16-2011, 06:30 PM
If Gomes can have a 30/100 year like he very well could have last season he will be the star on the team IMO. It's amazing at how many people already love him, kids can relate to him a lot more than Votto.

Eric the Red
04-16-2011, 06:43 PM
I'm also very pleased with what Gomes has done for the Reds in 2011 thus far. He's off to a great start at the plate and doesn't look overmatched versus right handers and their slider or curve down and away like he did many times last year. I, for one, wanted to see Sappelt, Heisey, Lewis or Alonso as at least a platoon with Gomes in left. I'll gladly admit I've been proven wrong by Gomes to this point.

defender
04-16-2011, 07:25 PM
Gomes was the starting LFer last year, though by the end of the season he was barely holding onto the job. After he worked his butt off in the off season, I felt he deserved to be given the starting job at the start of spring training.

He may not be up to the job over 162 games, but I think it is important to reward effort. Maybe the fact that he does not need to hit himself into the lineup has let him be more selective.

big boy
04-16-2011, 07:43 PM
Gomes is in a contract year. He should earn quite a bit of coin next season with a 900+ OPS.

gedred69
04-16-2011, 08:54 PM
2nd half last year he was very mediocre. But,for that 6 week period May/June last year, he was at the center of the Reds getting hot, and carried them. I'll be happy with a repeat performance of that for this season.

DocRed
04-16-2011, 09:15 PM
When did he become the human walk-a-thon?

bleedsred
04-16-2011, 09:56 PM
I must agree with davereds24, kids do love Gomes. I led a field trip for middle school students with good grades to a Reds game last season.....they all cheered big time for Gomes. By the way...it was the best game I have ever saw in person...the Reds came from behind to win over the Brewers with Votto hitting a homer onto the boat...

justincredible
04-16-2011, 10:16 PM
I've dubbed him "The Treadmill" because he's been a walking machine this season.

LeDoux
04-16-2011, 10:20 PM
While I believe Gomes is enjoying a great start, his L/R splits are significant:

v LHP

2011 1.671
career .887

v. RHP
2011 .967
career .748

Even with his good start, splitting some time with Heisey when facing right-handers may not be a bad idea.

BigJohn
04-16-2011, 10:44 PM
I will eat crow on Gomes. I was ready to make Sappelt the starter in LF this spring.

:beerme:
So here't to you,
Jonny Gomes, You are a machine in early season again this year, if you can find some staying power and maintain this pace, I will buy season tickets in LF next year!

Vottomatic
04-16-2011, 11:46 PM
I like Gomes as a person and good clubhouse influence. I never liked him as a full time starter.

But I like his approach at the plate so far this season. No longer a free swinger. He is working the count. The fact that he was walking so much early proves that pitchers weren't giving him anything to hit because his rap sheet is swinging at anything. Glad he finally realized it.

CrimsonCrusader
04-20-2011, 06:37 PM
He seems to be a steady force in the org this year. Sure, they've been slumping lately...but Gomes usually at least makes it to base, more often than not.

He's not Votto (34 consecutive trips to base so far)...but he has my respect. ;);)