PDA

View Full Version : I'm not sold on this team right now......

Vottomatic
04-17-2011, 08:14 PM
The pitching isn't as good as advertised and there are other teams in the division that appear to be better at it.

Votto isn't getting anything to hit. Bruce, for the most part, isn't hitting. Gomes has been pretty good at the plate, surprisingly. How long will Rolen hold up?

Chapman needs to be sent down and turned into a starter since he can't go multiple days in a row, essentially ending his relief pitching career.

Volquez is a problem. He's going to wear out our bullpen fast.

The sky is falling. The sky is falling. :D

Actually it isn't, but I see some concerns. The first month is always a look and see what you got month, and then they'll have to make some adjustments to fill weaknesses . Hopefully they do.

Carolina_Redleg
04-17-2011, 08:32 PM
It's early in the season. I think the pitching will be fine. One thing you don't have to worry about is the lineup. This team will score runs. We just need the pitching to hold up.

RedsFanInBama
04-17-2011, 10:02 PM
Still 90% of the season to go, but I can't say that this team is making me feel great. Maybe once (or if) we get healthy, I can get a better feel for it.

VottoFan54
04-17-2011, 11:43 PM
I think we will be fine since IMO we still have our best pitcher on the DL and Bailey has the potential to have a good year, along with Volquez showing signs of brilliance but being inconsistent. If Phillips can come back strong and the young outfielders can start hitting we will be able to recover from this series just fine.

Krawhitham
04-17-2011, 11:58 PM
The pitching isn't as good as advertised and there are other teams in the division that appear to be better at it.

2 of the starters will be back soon, plus the D-Train is being lights out in AAA

Votto isn't getting anything to hit. Bruce, for the most part, isn't hitting. Gomes has been pretty good at the plate, surprisingly. How long will Rolen hold up?

Votto is hitting over .400, the problem is he has only had 8 AB with runners in scoring position (but he is batting .625 when they are). Bruce is starting to hit. Rolen will last about half the season. Juan has made some good plays in the field and his bat will come around when he is playing everyday

Chapman needs to be sent down and turned into a starter since he can't go multiple days in a row, essentially ending his relief pitching career.

We will have 7 starters in 2 weeks plus D-Train racing down the track

Yep Yep

Yep Yep

NorrisHopper30
04-18-2011, 12:04 AM
9-6 while not playing well is a good thing

Maker_84
04-18-2011, 01:50 AM
9-6 while not playing well is a good thing

we played good baseball during the 5-0 start. Not playing well-> 4-6

DirtyBaker
04-18-2011, 02:31 AM
Who is to say this is the real Reds team and not the team that started 5-0 out of the gate? Plus a few of those losses could have easily been wins - it's not like this team is getting outclassed on a nightly basis.

If this team goes on monthly 4-5 game tears, and treads .500 outside of those, that should be good enough to at least make the playoffs.

Cant Touch This
04-18-2011, 07:49 AM
While I understand the concern - after dropping 2 of the first 3 at home to PIT - the Reds have found a way to win 9 of their first 15 games. If they continue to go 9-6 every set of 15 games, they'll end up with 97 wins. I'll take that.

Remember: Cueto and Bailey have yet to sniff the bump. In addition to a wealth of pitchers, the Reds are deep with position players. Louisville is tearing it up, and that's no surprise.

Based on what I've seen in the Central so far....I AM sold on this team. In the end, I don't think it will even be that close.

Carolina_Redleg
04-18-2011, 08:06 AM
Seriously, how can you not be optimistic about this team? We have 2 starters on the DL, and Louisville is absolutely killing it right now. We have a lot of major league ready guys down there, and Dontrelle is killing it so far down there. We're 9-6 have been without BP for 3 games, and without 2 of our best starters, and our supposed set-up man has **** the bed so far. And yet we're still on a 97 win pace.

Sounds good to me. Go Redlegs!

DaytonFlyer
04-18-2011, 08:53 AM
Yeah, I was a little worried seeing us drop 2 of 3 to PIT until I realized that a 9-6 pace is actually pretty darn good.

Problem is, we're not going to be playing Houston, Arizona, and Pittsburgh forever.

Simon Rhymon
04-18-2011, 12:03 PM
The pitching will always be a key. However there isn't a team in baseball other than the Phillies and Giants that feels confident about their staff.

This team can score runs and defend which hopefully will overcome pitching deficiencies more than not especially when facing teams with the same dilemma. However I don't care what kind of stats Willis is putting up in Louisville. He has been awful for a long time including this spring training. A couple good outings doesn't give me any hope that he has turned it around. If he is pitching like the old DTrain at the end of July, that's a different story. But 12 innings in April gives me no encouragement that he can help the Reds.

brm7675
04-18-2011, 12:21 PM

Actually it isn't, but I see some concerns. The first month is always a look and see what you got month, and then they'll have to make some adjustments to fill weaknesses . Hopefully they do.

I would disagree on the pitching, outside of Edison the rest of the staff has pitched either real well or pretty darn well.

Votto is still raking even getting less to hit.

This team is still young and will struggle at times, lets remember no other team in the Central has the overall talent this team has...

krm1580
04-18-2011, 12:23 PM
I think the frustration with the Reds right now comes from the fact they are 4-4 in their last 8 games but very easily could be 7-1.

The thing I find most frustrating is the number of walks being given up. The Reds are 2nd worst in the NL with walks allowed and it seems like every time a guy gets a free pass it comes back to haunt them. Its especially hard to deal with considering how good they are defensively. Odds are if the pitchers can keep it in the park good things will happen.

arkimadee
04-18-2011, 01:28 PM
Look how far this organization has come in one year. We are in first place and we are all concerned. Beats chasing first place! I'd say the pitching will warm up once we hit May. It was like that last year and the year before. I do worry about Rolen but I am siked about the start of Gomes. I don't think it's a temporary thing with all the walks he is taking. Stubbs is off to a pretty good start. There will be a stretch this summer where Stubbs, Bruce, Rolen, Votto, Rolen and Phillips are all on a tear and that stretch will be when we build some games in a division lead. I would predict we will be 4 to 10 games over until about the end of May or June when we hit that stride.

will5979
04-18-2011, 03:19 PM
I'm not sold on this team either, yesterday was an indicator of that and a flat out embarassment. I wasted a whole Sunday when I could have been watching the Talladega race, drove 8 hours and spent over 100.00 to watch that mess.

Bases loaded, 1 out, and the LEAGUE MVP, and a gold-glover/All-Star can't drive in 1 run, 1 freakin run. Then when we have the lead the stupid bullpen was outdone by Pittsburgh's, hope they feel good knowing they have lost 2 of 3 to a AAA organization.

Krawhitham
04-18-2011, 03:42 PM
@will5979 You realize that a HOF'er will make an out 7 out of 10 times

Reds
04-18-2011, 04:31 PM
Last year at this time we got SWEPT by Pittsburgh.. I'm sure that was the defining moment from last season :laugh:

Cant Touch This
04-18-2011, 04:34 PM
Anyone who thinks attending a Reds game is a waste of money should reconsider attending Reds games. Win or lose.

Simon Rhymon
04-18-2011, 05:25 PM
I'm not sold on this team either, yesterday was an indicator of that and a flat out embarassment. I wasted a whole Sunday when I could have been watching the Talladega race, drove 8 hours and spent over 100.00 to watch that mess.

That's an interesting perspective. If Stubbs got a base hit to score 2 in the 9th, would that have made the 8 hour drive and $100 a worthwhile endeavor? Just wondering. :confused:

will5979
04-18-2011, 05:33 PM
That's an interesting perspective. If Stubbs got a base hit to score 2 in the 9th, would that have made the 8 hour drive and $100 a worthwhile endeavor? Just wondering. :confused:

Absolutely cause I only have a good time if Cincy wins, if they don't its a long quite drive home if they lose, along with a day of depression the following day. :cry:

Mr Larkin
04-18-2011, 05:49 PM
I'm very excited that my team has been in first place all season.
The pitching, outside of the first inning with Volq and the 8th with our set up guy, has been outstanding.
The offense is better than last season and it was the top rated offense last season.
Pondering injuries is impossible. Every team could do the same - what if Fielder went out for 50 games?
They have had some very bad luck and are still in first place. The rest of the central is not as talented.
I am glad they are off to a solid start and I think things will only get better.
This is a very solid team that has been built to last - gotta love that.
As for dropping 2 of 3 to Pitt - they have played well. The Pirates, as much as they have been berated over the last decade, have played two very solid games. It happens, which is ok, there are 160 other games to a season.
Hope they win tonight and that Leake is scared straight. What a dopey move.

signalhome
04-18-2011, 06:07 PM

Bases loaded, 1 out, and the LEAGUE MVP, and a gold-glover/All-Star can't drive in 1 run, 1 freakin run. Then when we have the lead the stupid bullpen was outdone by Pittsburgh's, hope they feel good knowing they have lost 2 of 3 to a AAA organization.

Votto has been successful in 54.4% of his plate appearances this year (OBP of .544). That appearance just happened to fall in the 45.6% range. It happens.

Vottomatic
04-18-2011, 08:34 PM
And once again, the Reds stink of GABP. Ridiculous. Nice work Wood.

bounty37h
04-19-2011, 11:56 AM

Your worried about wasting time that you could have spent watching racing :lol:?? Irony?

will5979
04-19-2011, 01:09 PM
Your worried about wasting time that you could have spent watching racing :lol:?? Irony?

:laugh: You're from the Tobacco Belt in NC and don't like Nascar? Irony?

bounty37h
04-19-2011, 04:43 PM
:laugh: You're from the Tobacco Belt in NC and don't like Nascar? Irony?

I can stomach the last few laps or a wreck, other then that, not really. Oddly, I have been to a ton of races across the country, but have fallen asleep more then watched. Love the pre-race festivities and culture behind it all, and do respect what the drivers are doing and how hard it really is, but the event itself bores the heck out of me, worse then tennis or golf on tv.

lonewolf371
04-19-2011, 04:54 PM
Absolutely cause I only have a good time if Cincy wins, if they don't its a long quite drive home if they lose, along with a day of depression the following day. :cry:
Dang, man that's gotta be stressful. When I go to Reds games I have a great time, no matter what the score is. That's why I love baseball so much. I just love being out there on a nice day, relaxing, and watching my team get out there and play. Nothing better.

Hondo
04-19-2011, 05:35 PM

This team needs a Solid Bull Pen arm.

This team needs a Bonaifde Right Handed Power Hitter to take Rolens Clean Up slot in the lineup and allow Rolen to move down in order.

It could also use Felix Hernadez for 1B/DH Yonder Alonso, C Devin Mesoraco, LHP Donnie Joseph, IF/OF Todd Frazier, SS Zach Cozart, LHP Matt Maloney

Oxblood
04-20-2011, 10:53 AM
OP might be on to something.

tkemmerer14
04-22-2011, 02:40 AM
I can stomach the last few laps or a wreck, other then that, not really. Oddly, I have been to a ton of races across the country, but have fallen asleep more then watched. Love the pre-race festivities and culture behind it all, and do respect what the drivers are doing and how hard it really is, but the event itself bores the heck out of me, worse then tennis or golf on tv.

I always found it funny that NASCAR is a sport in which the most exciting part of the event comes when someone makes a huge error. (a wreck). That would be like if the most exciting thing in a baseball game was to see someone ground into a double play haha.

But staying on the topic, I think that this team will be fine. Do you all remember how we started last season? No you say? Oh that's right, it's all about where you FINISH.

Oh and my advice for going to the ballpark... Enjoy America's Pasttime with friends, some 8 dollar brews, and a cheese coney. Nothing better. A reds win is just the cherry on top of an always excellent day at GABP. :beerme:

Vottomatic
04-22-2011, 03:31 AM
This team needs a Solid Bull Pen arm.

This team needs a Bonaifde Right Handed Power Hitter to take Rolens Clean Up slot in the lineup and allow Rolen to move down in order.

It could also use Felix Hernadez for 1B/DH Yonder Alonso, C Devin Mesoraco, LHP Donnie Joseph, IF/OF Todd Frazier, SS Zach Cozart, LHP Matt Maloney

I think what you are basically saying is that the Reds have alot of good things going for them, but they don't have that superstar starting pitcher, or starting Babe Ruth/Albert Pujols who will make them better than everyone else in the National League. And I agree. The Reds have a very nice team, but they currently are lacking that difference maker that sets them apart from the rest of the NL.

Sorry.

Hondo
04-22-2011, 01:12 PM
I think what you are basically saying is that the Reds have alot of good things going for them, but they don't have that superstar starting pitcher, or starting Babe Ruth/Albert Pujols who will make them better than everyone else in the National League. And I agree. The Reds have a very nice team, but they currently are lacking that difference maker that sets them apart from the rest of the NL.

Sorry.

Are you agreeing with me?

IMO: I think one Big Bat would make all the Hitters better, especially Jay Bruce. Also moving Rolen down to 5/6 in the Batting Order would be Significant.

And having that 1 ACE pitcher to go against the Halladays, Lincecums of the world would be Great... If this team would just spend the Extra Money (20-25 Million) they would go deep in the playoffs and get extra Revenue from that and TV Playoff Money...

The Reds are SOOOOOO Close!

brm7675
04-22-2011, 01:53 PM
Are you agreeing with me?

IMO: I think one Big Bat would make all the Hitters better, especially Jay Bruce. Also moving Rolen down to 5/6 in the Batting Order would be Significant.

And having that 1 ACE pitcher to go against the Halladays, Lincecums of the world would be Great... If this team would just spend the Extra Money (20-25 Million) they would go deep in the playoffs and get extra Revenue from that and TV Playoff Money...

The Reds are SOOOOOO Close!

It would be great to add an 'ACE" problem is there are non available or in our value market price range. Remember the Reds shelled out some serious money this offseason and you are wanting them to sign Votto long term which means eaisly between 20-25 million per season. I know you favor jetting BP, and that 'might' happen but it would not shock me to see them ink him for 12-14 million a year and for 3 years at somepoint in the next few months. BP is loved in this town and the Reds know it. So, it doesn't leave alot of dough available for what is a very limited choice field when it comes to "Aces"....

Hondo
04-22-2011, 05:33 PM
It would be great to add an 'ACE" problem is there are non available or in our value market price range. Remember the Reds shelled out some serious money this offseason and you are wanting them to sign Votto long term which means eaisly between 20-25 million per season. I know you favor jetting BP, and that 'might' happen but it would not shock me to see them ink him for 12-14 million a year and for 3 years at somepoint in the next few months. BP is loved in this town and the Reds know it. So, it doesn't leave alot of dough available for what is a very limited choice field when it comes to "Aces"....

If this team pays for Phillips at 12-14 million per year for 3 years...

The front office should be shot for not paying Votto 20 Million per year to extend him...