PDA

View Full Version : Juan Francisco to DL; Hermida called up

Cant Touch This
04-18-2011, 02:44 PM
From the Cincinnati Reds Twitter feed...

Also - Burton transferred to 60-day DL.

Hermida over Sappelt. That guy could hit 1.000 and not get the call.

Captain13
04-18-2011, 02:49 PM
Hopefully Hermida can get a few big hits in his time up here. Here is his chance.

texasdave
04-18-2011, 02:52 PM

Jared "Snakebit" Burton to the 60-day DL. He ought to be quite familiar with that place. Odd that they brought up Hermida. Heisey can't even get enough playing time. How is Hermida? He is hitting the ball though, no denying that much.

P.S. Snakebit Burton sounds like a character from a dime store Western.

Cant Touch This
04-18-2011, 02:56 PM
Tough to find PT in this outfield. Gomes is obviously the weakest link defensively, but can the Reds take his bat out of the lineup right now? Bruce could possibly be at the beginning of one of his trademark streaks - and you know what he is capable of doing when he gets hot. Stubbs, although still on my naughty list for swinging at the 2-0 pitch in the 9th inning Sunday, is someone I believe needs to play every day.

Then there is Heisey, who has proven to me that he could be starting in LF. He can obviously slap the leather, and with consistent plate appearances, could be a very productive hitter.

Where does that leave guys like Hermida, Sappelt, and perhaps Gomes? Best bench in baseball?

As mentioned in an earlier thread today - the Reds are DEEP everywhere, from catcher, around the horn, in the OF, and on the mound.

Fun Fact: Kyle McCulloch has a WHIP of 1.06....good enough for 8th best on the Bats roster. Are you kidding me? (I realize innings pitched are low, but that's impressive.)

I also like seeing Dontrelle's 11 Ks in 12 innings, to go along with his 0.00 ERA and 0.92 WHIP in two starts.

I've just taken this thread off topic. Sorry.

bshall2105
04-18-2011, 03:14 PM

We don't need Sappelt up here to be a 5th outfielder. If Gomes were to get hurt then maybe you call up Sappelt, but he needs to be starting.

thorn
04-18-2011, 04:19 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong here but Sappelt is not left handed, Hermida is. Outside of Bruce and Votto, that's all we have.

markymark69
04-18-2011, 04:47 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong here but Sappelt is not left handed, Hermida is. Outside of Bruce and Votto, that's all we have.

I think you hit on it. Hermida (a lefty) replaces Francisco (a lefty).

krm1580
04-18-2011, 04:47 PM

I think you hit the nail on the head. They really needed a lefty and he was pretty much the best option.

Cant Touch This
04-18-2011, 04:50 PM
I had it in my head that Hermida was a righty.

"A lot you f***kin know, D'Annunzio."

Simon Rhymon
04-18-2011, 05:39 PM
Hermida will give them a lefty pinch hitter which might at least cause the other team to use another pitcher. I wouldn't think he would take much playing time away from Heisey.

will5979
04-18-2011, 05:43 PM
I can't believe there is even a hint that Jonny Gomes should be benched and is the weakest link, unbelievable. If this guy keeps up pace he will not only be playing the Mid-Summer Classic but also the Home Run Derby!

Cant Touch This
04-18-2011, 06:09 PM
I can't believe there is even a hint that Jonny Gomes should be benched and is the weakest link, unbelievable. If this guy keeps up pace he will not only be playing the Mid-Summer Classic but also the Home Run Derby!

Weakest link defensively. You can't hit home runs on defense.

signalhome
04-18-2011, 06:12 PM
Weakest link defensively. You can't hit home runs on defense.

Correct; he is absolutely awful in the field. I was one of the people calling for a Gomes and Lewis/Hermida platoon before the season, but I have to say, if he keeps up this new-found patient approach at the plate, he can start in left field every day for me. I'm still not entirely sure he'll keep it up, but it has absolutely been great while it's lasted. He has impressed me quite a bit.

Maker_84
04-18-2011, 06:24 PM
Gomes started off great at the plate last year and we we all know how that ended up

LeDoux
04-18-2011, 06:29 PM
Wow. That must have been quite the leg cramp.

The DARK
04-18-2011, 06:37 PM
Correct; he is absolutely awful in the field. I was one of the people calling for a Gomes and Lewis/Hermida platoon before the season, but I have to say, if he keeps up this new-found patient approach at the plate, he can start in left field every day for me. I'm still not entirely sure he'll keep it up, but it has absolutely been great while it's lasted. He has impressed me quite a bit.

He may definitely be the weak link defensively, but the fact remains that Cincinnati lived with Adam Dunn in LF for many years. We'll live ;).

signalhome
04-18-2011, 06:41 PM
Gomes started off great at the plate last year and we we all know how that ended up

Absolutely right, but last year's impressive performance came thanks to a massive spike in BABIP, so nobody really expected him to keep it up. This year he's doing it with a completely different approach at the plate which is leading to him getting on base at a much better clip. Also, his BABIP is a paltry .207, so if he keeps up everything from a patience standpoint, his performance could actually improve (or, at least, his OBP could improve).

As I said, I'm not entirely confident he will stick with the new approach he has taken, but where I wasn't confident at all in Gomes' ability to continue his All-Star level production last year, this year I think he has a chance to have sustained success (though, obviously, he isn't going to OPS 1.131 for a full season).

signalhome
04-18-2011, 06:44 PM
He may definitely be the weak link defensively, but the fact remains that Cincinnati lived with Adam Dunn in LF for many years. We'll live ;).

Yeah, but Dunn's offensive prowess more than made up for his deficiencies in the field. Last year, Gomes' awful defense combined with his average offense actually led him to a -0.1 WAR. So far this year, Gomes is doing the same thing that Dunn did for years -- performing well enough at the plate that his horrid defense is acceptable. I hope he keeps it up.

Kingspoint
04-18-2011, 08:35 PM
Yeah, but Dunn's offensive prowess more than made up for his deficiencies in the field. Last year, Gomes' awful defense combined with his average offense actually led him to a -0.1 WAR. So far this year, Gomes is doing the same thing that Dunn did for years -- performing well enough at the plate that his horrid defense is acceptable. I hope he keeps it up.

And, that's the difference (through two weeks of a 26-week season). There will be an adjustment. He can't and won't keep up the OBP or the SLG. The OBP will drop 100 points and the slugging will drop 200 points. And, he'll be back to giving the team a negative WAR rating.

signalhome
04-18-2011, 09:03 PM
And, that's the difference (through two weeks of a 26-week season). There will be an adjustment. He can't and won't keep up the OBP or the SLG. The OBP will drop 100 points and the slugging will drop 200 points. And, he'll be back to giving the team a negative WAR rating.

Yeah. You're probably right. I hope not, though.