04-18-2011, 03:49 PM
accused of theft

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20110418/SPT04/304180108/

will5979
04-18-2011, 03:52 PM
Jesus Christ what next?

kearns and dunn
04-18-2011, 03:53 PM
He's rich....why would he need to do this?

Also he looks like a punk in his picture.

davereds24
04-18-2011, 03:55 PM
This is odd, hopefully more of a misunderstanding.

BuckWild03
04-18-2011, 03:57 PM
This is odd, hopefully more of a misunderstanding.

Fingers crossed...

brm7675
04-18-2011, 04:03 PM
Not sure why this is even a news story....

Kiss the Baby00
04-18-2011, 04:24 PM
Leake was stopped by Macy's employees in downtown Cincinnati after trying to leave the store with nearly $60 worth of T-shirts. He was taken to jail and is facing a misdemeanor. Leake, 23, is earning right around $425,000 this season.

tshirts bro.....

Reds
04-18-2011, 04:25 PM
MikeLeake44
Happy monday. hope everybody got their taxes in. who's going to be at the ballpark tonight?

twitter

arkimadee
04-18-2011, 04:27 PM
This is the weirdest thing EVER! What in the blue hell is going on?

robmadden1
04-18-2011, 04:28 PM
Mike Leake was arrested after Macy's personnel said they saw him remove tags from six American Rag shirts and leave without paying for them.

http://www.wlwt.com/sports/27588053/detail.html

Reds
04-18-2011, 04:35 PM
http://www.citizenarcane.com/files/2005/June/09/winona_ryder.jpg

Vottomatic
04-18-2011, 04:37 PM
I hear he was shopping with a couple of Xavier basketball players. D'oh!

DirtyBaker
04-18-2011, 04:43 PM
Not sure why this is even a news story....

It's a professional athlete who makes over $400k shoplifting tshirts of all things.

Not to pick on you but I'd argue Brandon Phillips' offseason ChiSox hat, or Gomes' Wainwright comments as not newsworthy. Leake had a full blown lapse of judgement today.

Cant Touch This
04-18-2011, 04:48 PM
My guess is any grown man buying T-shirts like that is probably too embarrassed to go through the check out line.

markymark69
04-18-2011, 04:51 PM
It's a professional athlete who makes over $400k shoplifting tshirts of all things.

Not to pick on you but I'd argue Brandon Phillips' offseason ChiSox hat, or Gomes' Wainwright comments as not newsworthy. Leake had a full blown lapse of judgement today.

If Leake played for the Bengals - ESPN would already have blown this thing out of proportion. Maybe they already have - I don't have ESPN on at the moment.

Seriously though - this is definitely not a good situation if proven to be true.

brm7675
04-18-2011, 04:51 PM

It's 5 tshirts for a total of $60 and will never go to court, it's not like he was gotten for say DUI, or spouse abuse or something, sorry this is a non story...

Reds
04-18-2011, 04:57 PM
Web-only news story. Isn't worth wasting actual ink on.. and I happen to think this is no big deal. Stealing a shirt is like skipping out on a check or unpaid parking tickets, as long as he follows the legal process now and shows a moderate about of contrition I see no issue.

redsfanmia
04-18-2011, 05:00 PM
What are the odd's that this was the first time he has done this? I say pretty low, maybe he gets a thrill from doing it.

arkimadee
04-18-2011, 05:00 PM
It's 5 tshirts for a total of $60 and will never go to court, it's not like he was gotten for say DUI, or spouse abuse or something, sorry this is a non story...

Are you serious? Non story? I think it's a very big story. If all of this is true Leake is the biggest idiot ever and deserves to be in AA the rest of the season. Anyone who steals tshirts and makes over 400k doesn't deserve to get off easy with the media

Krawhitham
04-18-2011, 05:03 PM
it was the lead story on the 5:00 news for all 3 channels

brm7675
04-18-2011, 05:14 PM
Are you serious? Non story? I think it's a very big story. If all of this is true Leake is the biggest idiot ever and deserves to be in AA the rest of the season. Anyone who steals tshirts and makes over 400k doesn't deserve to get off easy with the media

Yes non story. Did he kill someone? Was he driving drunk or charged with some violent crime. He tried to (accused) of swiping 5 tshirts. He is 23 years old, he did something stooopid. If found guilty he will get community service, this is no big deal and something most folk his age either have tried, done or think about...sorry not a big deal..

Kiss the Baby00
04-18-2011, 05:30 PM
Yes non story. Did he kill someone? Was he driving drunk or charged with some violent crime. He tried to (accused) of swiping 5 tshirts. He is 23 years old, he did something stooopid. If found guilty he will get community service, this is no big deal and something most folk his age either have tried, done or think about...sorry not a big deal..

im 26. ive never stolen from a department store or any other kind of store.

RedsFanInBama
04-18-2011, 05:33 PM

He chose a career in professional baseball, and by doing so, he threw himself into the public spotlight. He is going to be held to a higher standard because he is a public figure. This is a story, and unless there was some misunderstanding, Leake comes across as very stupid.

signalhome
04-18-2011, 05:41 PM

I understand what you're saying about this not being as big of a deal as a DUI or an attempted murder or something, but that doesn't change the fact that he was attempting to steal. Would you look at it any differently if he had been caught trying to steal $60 from someone's wallet? It's the same thing: stealing is stealing, no matter from whom you are stealing.

Simon Rhymon
04-18-2011, 05:46 PM
As Jay Leno said to Hugh Grant "What the h*** were you thinking?" What a fool. It doesn't matter that it was only tshirts. It's just blatant stupidity.

Oxblood
04-18-2011, 05:48 PM
Moronic.

ruREaDy2
04-18-2011, 05:50 PM
Needless to say, very disappointed with Leake today. He'd be one of the last guys on the roster that I would've expected this from before today. Hope he learns from it and moves on.

brm7675
04-18-2011, 05:50 PM
I understand what you're saying about this not being as big of a deal as a DUI or an attempted murder or something, but that doesn't change the fact that he was attempting to steal. Would you look at it any differently if he had been caught trying to steal $60 from someone's wallet? It's the same thing: stealing is stealing, no matter from whom you are stealing.

It's a non story at this point because he has not been convicted, if he is convicted then it's a story, at this point ....no story..

Mr Larkin
04-18-2011, 05:51 PM
I like Leake. I hope he has learned a lesson. This is very dumb of a MLB player.

brm7675
04-18-2011, 05:52 PM
As Jay Leno said to Hugh Grant "What the h*** were you thinking?" What a fool. It doesn't matter that it was only tshirts. It's just blatant stupidity.

23 year olds don't think, they are living life and having fun and I still say this was due to a bet or dare from a friend or teammate and he just didn't think. Was it stupid, sure, is it a big deal....no.

Mr Larkin
04-18-2011, 05:53 PM
It's a non story at this point because he has not been convicted, if he is convicted then it's a story, at this point ....no story..

As usual, I disagree with you. This is a story. Well respected MLB player supposedly caught on tape stealing less then $100 worth of clothing on the day of a game. Guilty or not, this is a story.
If he is innocent he will have a lot of explaining to do.
I would love to see him innocent, but this is a story regardless.

Simon Rhymon
04-18-2011, 05:55 PM
23 year olds don't think, they are living life and having fun and I still say this was due to a bet or dare from a friend or teammate and he just didn't think. Was it stupid, sure, is it a big deal....no.

15 year olds and drunken frat boys don't think. If he's 23 and has no judgment, that's sad.

RedsFanInBama
04-18-2011, 05:55 PM
Please don't try and dumb down society. The vast majority of 23 year olds don't shoplift, whether a buddy goaded them or not. If he were 16, I'd accept your reasoning. 23? No, that's a tremendous stretch. He's plenty old enough to know what is right and what's not right.

signalhome
04-18-2011, 06:02 PM

So everything is a non-story until the person is convicted? What about O. J. Simpson? He was cleared of all murder charges, but I still think it was a pretty huge story.

Also, I think it's very unfair to make such a blanket statement about 23-year-olds. I'm 24, but that's pretty close to my age. Believe me, I am far from living life and having fun, unless you consider attending four or five hours of lecture and studying for seven hours every day fun. 23-year-olds are like every other age group: you have plenty of people who are mature, and you have plenty of people who are not mature. I know plenty of people in their 40s and 50s who do far more foolish things than what Leake supposedly did.

mckbearcat48
04-18-2011, 06:03 PM
The kid screwed up if this is true. His next move should be writing a check to pay for the stuff. That said, he's not the first young player to do something stupid, and probably won't be the last.

brm7675
04-18-2011, 06:12 PM
So everything is a non-story until the person is convicted? What about O. J. Simpson? He was cleared of all murder charges, but I still think it was a pretty huge story.

Also, I think it's very unfair to make such a blanket statement about 23-year-olds. I'm 24, but that's pretty close to my age. Believe me, I am far from living life and having fun, unless you consider attending four or five hours of lecture and studying for seven hours every day fun. 23-year-olds are like every other age group: you have plenty of people who are mature, and you have plenty of people who are not mature. I know plenty of people in their 40s and 50s who do far more foolish things than what Leake supposedly did.

How many 23 year olds do you think steal and get caught? Of those how many make the lead story of the evening news? Yes he is a major league baseball player, but he is still just a kid basically who probably made a stupid mistake, but to make it the lead story on your evening news? Really has that how "star" struck our society has become that war, travesity and other things that are important get pushed back because a 23 year old stole a whopping $60 worth of Tshirts? Really?

signalhome
04-18-2011, 06:18 PM
How many 23 year olds do you think steal and get caught? Of those how many make the lead story of the evening news? Yes he is a major league baseball player, but he is still just a kid basically who probably made a stupid mistake, but to make it the lead story on your evening news? Really has that how "star" struck our society has become that war, travesity and other things that are important get pushed back because a 23 year old stole a whopping $60 worth of Tshirts? Really?

It's a big deal because he's a major league baseball player. Do you think every case of a DUI gets reported all across the country? No, but when it's Tony La Russa who was caught drinking and driving, it's a big deal, so it is reported everywhere. You may have an issue with the fact that it gets reported, but the fact remains that any time a well-known athlete is arrested, it is a story, because people care about it (obviously -- this thread was stickied immediately and has already racked up three pages of comments).

Kiss the Baby00
04-18-2011, 06:19 PM

I refuse to believe you are a real person. cant.be.real. can we meet at a game or something? id LOVEEEEEE to meet the person on the other side of the computer.

Trace's Daddy
04-18-2011, 06:34 PM
Here is his stat line for today:
CS (Mike Leake, $60)

Stray
04-18-2011, 06:35 PM
What gets me is, why would he steal them? If he has the money to pay I guess he was doing it for the thrill? Very strange, especially from someone who appeared to have his head on straight.

Hopefully this isn't more than it is, he deals with the consequences, and moves on better for having gone through it.

BPhillips4
What a very very silly thing to get in trouble for. It doesn't matter how "young and dumb" he is. When you put on a MLB jersey, you should understand that you're looked at in a different light and as a role model even. Maybe coming straight to the majors was a mistake, and not from a performance perspective.

Reds
Well.. I do think it's a non-story too, he didn't hurt anyone but himself and I respect privacy, although I agree it's a crime and punishable.. but it's probably a larger issue if it's not a misunderstanding. People don't steal, if not necessary, unless they have a problem.

brm7675
I refuse to believe you are a real person. cant.be.real. can we meet at a game or something? id LOVEEEEEE to meet the person on the other side of the computer.

Why because I understand 23 year olds due dumb stuff and just because he is a major league baseball player doesn't make him ammune to that, and that our society has gotten to the point where they are more concerned with this type of issue then issues that really mean something. I mean really how can this be a lead story with all that is going on around the world at this time? How can anyone here think this is shocking behavior just because he is a baseball player? Was he stupid yes, is this a "major" news story event that should result in his demotion to Dayton as punishment....not even...

Stray
04-18-2011, 06:37 PM
Brm I was a typical young dumb guy that did my fair share of moronic things, but I never stole anything. A lot of people can be young and dumb, that doesn't make it okay to be a thief.

bshall2105
04-18-2011, 06:38 PM
As a fan of the Indiana Pacers it's nice to know that the biggest criminal on the Reds is somebody that stole $60 worth of shirts.

Vottomatic
04-18-2011, 06:38 PM
I hear he was in bankruptcy court just before he did this.

LeDoux
04-18-2011, 06:43 PM
There are several possible motivations for this behavior- compulsivity, narcissism, simple forgetfulness, group inclusion (e.g. a dare), etc. All of these vary in degree of perceived culpability. The fact that he took the tags off several of the same item seems to exclude the 'forgetting to pay' hypothesis. I would guess he is going to shoot for the compulsivity explanation and jump through the treatment hoops to mitigate damage to his public profile. I guess we'll see soon.

takealeake
04-18-2011, 06:44 PM
What a freaking idiot. Guy gets paid half a mil and is stealing $60 worth of stuff? Seriously. STUPID. STUPID. STUPID.

Cant Touch This
What gets me is, why would he steal them? If he has the money to pay I guess he was doing it for the thrill? Very strange, especially from someone who appeared to have his head on straight.

Hopefully this isn't more than it is, he deals with the consequences, and moves on better for having gone through it.

The decision to commit theft for such a petty amount, considering his unique circumstances as a professional baseball player, appears to be an irrational move. Based on that assumption, and that alone, I wouldn't rule out the possibility that this 23-year-old kid was shopping under the influence. Influence of what, I don't know...but his mug shot doesn't do him any favors.

If he was in right mind, and actually did this with intent under his own freewill, then I can't answer your question. Either for the thrill or he's really conservative with his cash.

brm7675
Brm I was a typical young dumb guy that did my fair share of moronic things, but I never stole anything. A lot of people can be young and dumb, that doesn't make it okay to be a thief.

Never said it was "okay' what I said is it is not a big deal. Huge difference. I also feel it's not lead story news worthy and that as of right now we have no admission of guilt or conviction, yet people want him sent down, released and beheaded I think. He is a 23 year KID, who made a dumb mistake to some degree and if found guilty will have reprocussions, but at this point, it's a non issue.

arkimadee
04-18-2011, 06:45 PM
honestly in the eyes of the media and public, stealing 60 dollars worth of t-shirts is probably worse than a DUI. Not saying it's right but that's how it is and Mike Leake should have known better for this if he indeed did it. Like one poster on here said previously, he's probably a repeat offender that gets some kind of high from it because he sure as hell can afford 60 dollars worth of tshirts.

signalhome
04-18-2011, 06:49 PM
Never said it was "okay' what I said is it is not a big deal. Huge difference. I also feel it's not lead story news worthy and that as of right now we have no admission of guilt or conviction, yet people want him sent down, released and beheaded I think. He is a 23 year KID, who made a dumb mistake to some degree and if found guilty will have reprocussions, but at this point, it's a non issue.

I strongly disagree about theft not being a big deal.

Krawhitham
04-18-2011, 06:50 PM
Video has him removing security tags on the 10 dollar shirts or so says local TV

Cant Touch This
04-18-2011, 06:50 PM
...I also feel it's not lead story news worthy...

It wouldn't be a lead story if brm7675 stole $60 worth of merchandise from Macy's. But it was MikeLeake44 so it is. If Cincinnati suffered a 8.0 quake ealier today, perhaps Leake's story wouldn't have been the lead.

Doesn't make his crime any worse than if my 23-year-old cousin did the exact same thing - it just makes it more newsworthy because my cousin doesn't pitch for the Reds.

BAKER12
04-18-2011, 06:53 PM
It wouldn't be a lead story if brm7675 stole $60 worth of merchandise from Macy's. But it was MikeLeake44 so it is. If Cincinnati suffered a 8.0 quake ealier today, perhaps Leake's story wouldn't have been the lead.

Doesn't make his crime any worse than if my 23-year-old cousin did the exact same thing - it just makes it more newsworthy because my cousin doesn't pitch for the Reds.

CrimsonCrusader
04-18-2011, 06:59 PM
Yikes! So many opinons!

Let me state mine...:D

Yes, it IS a big deal. Theft. Ever had anything stolen from YOU?

If $60.00 was stolen from you, you would think it was a big deal. So, to the naysayers -- Child, Please!

Yes, it is a BIGGER deal because he is a Reds pitcher. Duh...

No, I hope he doesn't get booted for it. But...he does deserve the appropriate penalty for his CRIME.

That's all I got. Game's 'bout to start. Need to get a cold beverage. :beerme:

Reds
04-18-2011, 07:00 PM

If he was your cousin and pitched for the Reds that would be HUGE news :ughmamoru:

Cant Touch This
04-18-2011, 07:03 PM
If he was your cousin and pitched for the Reds that would be HUGE news :ughmamoru:

Right on. The Can't Touch This family is kind of a big deal.

Vottomatic
04-18-2011, 07:06 PM
I hear it's a surfer's ritual, stealing from a department store.

texasdave
04-18-2011, 07:19 PM
Headline reads, "Leake arrested on department store theft". How do you steal a department store? This is all so illogical that I cannot even comprehend it. The money he has and he is stealing some t-shirts? Craziness.

Kiss the Baby00
04-18-2011, 07:44 PM
Why because I understand 23 year olds due dumb stuff and just because he is a major league baseball player doesn't make him ammune to that, and that our society has gotten to the point where they are more concerned with this type of issue then issues that really mean something. I mean really how can this be a lead story with all that is going on around the world at this time? How can anyone here think this is shocking behavior just because he is a baseball player? Was he stupid yes, is this a "major" news story event that should result in his demotion to Dayton as punishment....not even...

when u are 23. make 400k a year. you arent allowed to do dumb stuff like petty theft. once again. ive never stolen from a department store and i dont make close to 400k a year. if he was 16 id write it off as him being a kid. 23. nope. do not pass go.

texasdave
04-18-2011, 07:55 PM
when u are 23. make 400k a year. you arent allowed to do dumb stuff like petty theft. once again. ive never stolen from a department store and i dont make close to 400k a year. if he was 16 id write it off as him being a kid. 23. nope. do not pass go.

I agree. When you are a professional athlete making what he makes (along with a multi-million dollar signing bonus), petty theft is completely unacceptable.

aldotcs
04-18-2011, 08:02 PM
But this is a big deal. Stealing is wrong, and I can't accept that he's a kid and that's things kids do. He's an adult and knows better. And it's news because of his certain amount of fame, but you see stories about some unknown stealing from Walmart all the time.
Pete Rose got hit for gambling, which is a big crime for baseball but not in general. I am in full support of this being newsworthy.

Chiledog
04-18-2011, 08:15 PM
This is definitely newsworthy, if it is true. If a guy can get his name on the front page of the local papers every time he wins a game, like Leake does, then he needs to take into account that all his actions become newsworthy. Hopefully the next time we will read about him doing something good for someone in need. He needs to live responsibly with his new found fame.

goreds2
04-18-2011, 08:33 PM
Not saying that he is but I was once a friend of a kleptomaniac. Things would just turn up missing etc. :thumbdown:

I wonder if teammates have noticed things missing recently?

I hope I am totally incorrect. :(

Vottomatic
04-18-2011, 08:35 PM
Headline reads, "Leake arrested on department store theft". How do you steal a department store? This is all so illogical that I cannot even comprehend it. The money he has and he is stealing some t-shirts? Craziness.

I hope he grabbed the one I asked him to get.

Kingspoint
04-18-2011, 08:41 PM
I didn't know we had Cincinnati Bengals on this team.

Jack Burton
04-18-2011, 09:00 PM
This is just flat stupid and his mental makeup should be questioned. Maybe this idiot doesn't have what it takes to pitch for the Cincinnati Reds, we don't want criminals.

George Foster
04-18-2011, 10:33 PM
This is just flat stupid and his mental makeup should be questioned. Maybe this idiot doesn't have what it takes to pitch for the Cincinnati Reds, we don't want criminals.

Reds need to send him to the lowest of the low...Billings Montana, make him work his way back up. This would send a message to the entire organization of young kids in the minor leagues. The Reds should issue a statement that it's a previlage to wear a Cincinnati Reds uniform, and no one should do anything to dishonor the Reds organization. The statement should also say that the Reds understand how difficult finances are for familes in the tri-state area and throughout the country at this time. For someone who received a multi-million dollar bonus and makes 400K a year to shoplift is not only stupid but a slap in the face to all honest people who do not steal and struggle to make ends meet.

That's called sending a message...a positive message.

BAKER12
04-18-2011, 10:52 PM
Good punishment: Keep him in bigs (we need him badly) High socks, crewcut, no facial hair, solid black shoes, jacket and tie when not in uniform.

Jim
04-19-2011, 12:30 AM
Since this isn't drug related, I'm surprised he's not already banned from baseball (yes, I'm kidding)!

gilpdawg
04-19-2011, 12:43 AM
Good punishment: Keep him in bigs (we need him badly) High socks, crewcut, no facial hair, solid black shoes, jacket and tie when not in uniform.
No offense, but what is that going to accomplish? Dressing nicely isn't going to make a hill of beans of a difference. I wear heavy metal shirts every day and I've never been in any trouble. What needs to happen is find out what triggers this abnormal behavior and then correct it. That's how you would punish a 12 year old. This is a grown man we're talking about.

Sent from my Liberty using Tapatalk

Natty Redlocks
04-19-2011, 01:07 AM
probly some rookie initiation thing. heh heh he got busted whatev

DirtyBaker
04-19-2011, 02:27 AM
Here is his stat line for today:
CS (Mike Leake, $60)

:laugh::castellini::laugh:

davrix
04-19-2011, 11:07 AM
This really is depressing. He is my 8 year olds favorite player. He signed my boys baseball and was very gracious to him last year at a game in Florida. So I had to have the conversation about this with him last night, all while the Reds were getting trounced.

Not a fun evening.

bounty37h
04-19-2011, 11:10 AM
My guess is any grown man buying T-shirts like that is probably too embarrassed to go through the check out line.

Haha, no kidding. Like Gomes with his teeny bopper clothes, only famous older peoplecan do that and get away with it, anyone else just looks like a huge richard cranium.

bounty37h
04-19-2011, 11:13 AM
If Leake played for the Bengals - ESPN would already have blown this thing out of proportion. Maybe they already have - I don't have ESPN on at the moment.

Seriously though - this is definitely not a good situation if proven to be true.

If he played for the Bengals it would be a non issue as it would be the tamest crime anyone on that roster has. He would be beat in the locker room as the weakest link with his cute lil petty shoplifting.

bounty37h
04-19-2011, 11:15 AM

6 pages beg to argue with you.

brm7675
04-19-2011, 11:23 AM
Reds need to send him to the lowest of the low...Billings Montana, make him work his way back up. This would send a message to the entire organization of young kids in the minor leagues. The Reds should issue a statement that it's a previlage to wear a Cincinnati Reds uniform, and no one should do anything to dishonor the Reds organization. The statement should also say that the Reds understand how difficult finances are for familes in the tri-state area and throughout the country at this time. For someone who received a multi-million dollar bonus and makes 400K a year to shoplift is not only stupid but a slap in the face to all honest people who do not steal and struggle to make ends meet.

That's called sending a message...a positive message.

Gee I don't remember people calling for Brandon Phillips getting sent down to Billings last year when he was arrested...so do we have a double standard here?

brm7675
04-19-2011, 11:26 AM
This really is depressing. He is my 8 year olds favorite player. He signed my boys baseball and was very gracious to him last year at a game in Florida. So I had to have the conversation about this with him last night, all while the Reds were getting trounced.

Not a fun evening.

It's called a learning moment with your child, something I would hope every parent would do. It's really simple you explain to your child that eveyone, and i mean everyone makes mistakes and does dumb things. That is what Mike did in this case, doesn't make him any less a person or someone who should looked bad upon.

bounty37h
04-19-2011, 11:29 AM
Right on. The Can't Touch This family is kind of a big deal.

My friends cousin danced for MC Hammer.

davrix
04-19-2011, 11:31 AM
It's called a learning moment with your child, something I would hope every parent would do. It's really simple you explain to your child that eveyone, and i mean everyone makes mistakes and does dumb things. That is what Mike did in this case, doesn't make him any less a person or someone who should looked bad upon.

No it does not mean he is a bad person, and we do not know the whole story. It just when you teach your children that the Steelers are evil because they steal, it can come back to bite you. :)

brm7675
04-19-2011, 11:55 AM
No it does not mean he is a bad person, and we do not know the whole story. It just when you teach your children that the Steelers are evil because they steal, it can come back to bite you. :)

Steelers are evil, but so are Browns, Bengals, Bears and other non Indianpolis Colts teams...:thumbup:

Cant Touch This
04-19-2011, 01:21 PM
My friends cousin danced for MC Hammer.

I am MC Hammer.

freestyle55
04-19-2011, 01:41 PM
I agree. When you are a professional athlete making what he makes (along with a multi-million dollar signing bonus), petty theft is completely unacceptable.

So is it partially acceptable when you're not a professional athlete making what he does?

He should be treated like every other first-time offender who commits misdemeanor petty theft. People always whine when a celebrity gets better treatment than the average person on criminal activity, but it sounds like there are a lot of folks looking for a double-standard to be applied.

Brisco
04-19-2011, 01:53 PM
From my experience in the prosecutorial side of things, there are many reasons that folks steal when they don't need to financially.

Sure, it could be a psychological condition or cry for attention as others have alleged... but I think that happens more rarely than other explanations. FFrom what I have seen, some folks steal from the faceless victim (like Macy's) because:

1. The salesclerk or some other employee irritated them or ripped them off (from the thief's perception). In other words, if Mike felt he was owed a 60 dollar refund that they refused to give him, he makes up for it by just taking things. This is propbably the most common motive I have seen when the theft seems out of character.

2. Hubris. Just the idea that they can beat the system. I think that many of us (myself included), when we see a security system or measure sometimes think about how we could beat it. There is a reason we are fascinated by the 'jewel thief' criminal that uses stealth rather than violence to steal (and only steals from the rich, of course).

3. Dare. This is probably not very viable. If this were the motive, Mike could have come clean immediatly to the store security and probably been released without police involvement. His emotional reaction would be bashful embarassment, which i did not see reflected in the mug shot by any means.

4. Habit. This is probably, unfortunately, the leading candidate for Mike. When he was young someone showed him, or he just figured out on his own, how to steal things without paying. Originally it might have been based on perceived need, but it eventually transforms into a norm for the indidividual. We all absorb bad norms in life... think of the folks that always force their way to the very front before merging into traffic... they did it once because they were in a hurry or just impatient, and then it transformed into a norm for them... they now simply think that they should not be required to comply with the rules of common courtesy.

One final thought... there has been some talk about Mike not being convicted yet, and therefore this is not a story. I simply cannot agree. Our criminal system says that noone can be punished until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. That places absolutely no restriction on your personal opinion. For example, if the day care person was arrested for sexual child abuse and the story was that there was video evidence, the government still can't punish without a trial, but you better believe i would not send my kids to be watched by that individual.

Along those same lines, if one of the people on this board told me that they were mugged by their next door neighbor... I would believe them until i had a reason not to. I could not punish the neighbor, but I would be very careful around them in the future.

LeDoux
04-19-2011, 02:16 PM
There two separate issues here. One is what the criminal justice system will decide to do, and the other is what the Reds will decide to do - if anything. As far as the justice system is concerned, I think community service and/or a fine is the likely outcome if Leake is found guilty or accepts a plea agreement. As far as the Reds are concerned, they need to handle things very carefully. They can’t alienate their fan base by ignoring the situation and they don’t want to alienate their players by resorting to draconian measures. But, since the Reds try to maintain a family-friendly image, I believe they will be compelled to do something in order to distance themselves from Leake’s actions. I would expect a temporary demotion to Louisville at the very least. And baring some new and improbable revelation, I am also expecting some sort of "treatment" plan to be announced as the solution for Leake apparent theft proclivities.

brm7675
04-19-2011, 02:19 PM
There two separate issues here. One is what the criminal justice system will decide to do, and the other is what the Reds will decide to do - if anything. As far as the justice system is concerned, I think community service and/or a fine is the likely outcome if Leake is found guilty or accepts a plea agreement. As far as the Reds are concerned, they need to handle things very carefully. They can’t alienate their fan base by ignoring the situation and they don’t want to alienate their players by resorting to draconian measures. But, since the Reds try to maintain a family-friendly image, I believe they will be compelled to do something in order to distance themselves from Leake’s actions. I would expect a temporary demotion to Louisville at the very least. And baring some new and improbable revelation, I am also expecting some sort of "treatment" plan to be announced as the solution for Leake apparent theft proclivities.

I read somewhere that there will be no trial that Leake has waved that and allowed the judge to decide his fate which given the crime will probably be restitution and some community service. As for the Reds, it's simple, a fine and maybe 3-5 game suspension and that is it. I see no reason to demote as it is not a major crime, I mean did the Reds demote Phillips last year when he was arrested?

LeDoux
04-19-2011, 02:35 PM
I see no reason to demote as it is not a major crime, I mean did the Reds demote Phillips last year when he was arrested?

I think the Reds will be compelled to react a little differently with Leake's crime. Theft carries a social stigma that speeding on Dixie Highway with your mother does not. It is not so much the class of crime, but what those crimes imply about the character of the persons involved. I am not saying Leake is evil, but it would appear he needs to make larger behavior changes than Phillips. Bottom line: a lack of patience by a young man is much more excusable than a lack of honesty.

signalhome
04-19-2011, 03:11 PM
I think the Reds will be compelled to react a little differently with Leake's crime. Theft carries a social stigma that speeding on Dixie Highway with your mother does not. It is not so much the class of crime, but what those crimes imply about the character of the persons involved. I am not saying Leake is evil, but it would appear he needs to make larger behavior changes than Phillips. Bottom line: a lack of patience by a young man is much more excusable than a lack of honesty.

Thank you. I was looking for the correct way to compare Phillips' and Leake's offenses, but was struggling to find the words. Your last sentence summed up my feelings perfectly. In my eyes, thievery is a much bigger representation of character (or lack thereof) than simply being in a hurry.

markymark69
04-19-2011, 04:29 PM

Not a fun evening.

Your second sentence about this being your eight-year olds favorite player is why this is a big deal. Pro athletes are role models whether John Kruk and Charles Barkley think they are or not. I'm not saying it's right, but it comes with the territory and they must recognize that. When they do something wrong it's going to be magnified.

First time offense he won't get the max, but the max is 180 days in jail - the law thinks stealing is a big deal, even if it is $60 worth of T-shirts. Correct me if I'm wrong - but a person doesn't get a max sentence of 180 days in jail for DUI or beating his spouse? Again I realize that he won't get the max penalty, but it doesn't mean it's not a big story.

brm's point about whether it should be or not can be argued, but the fact is -it is a big deal because of who he is and because of what he did - he's a pro athlete and he stole something - forget that it was $60 bucks worth of t-shirts. He took something that didn't belong to him - and no matter how you slice it - it's a big deal.

Another point that shouldn't be overlooked is the fact that he is making six figures in salary - people making six-figure salaries shouldn't be stealing anything. People in general shouldn't steal - which just makes the previous point even stronger.

Not a good move - I hope this is a one time thing and not something of compulsion for Leake - I hope he makes the necessary corrections, takes whatever punishment it is and repairs his image - because it took a hit - which is another reason why this was a big story.

markymark69
04-19-2011, 04:31 PM
Gee I don't remember people calling for Brandon Phillips getting sent down to Billings last year when he was arrested...so do we have a double standard here?

Brandon Phillips was not arrested - he was pulled over for speeding - not arrested - huge difference as you like to point out.

Cant Touch This
04-19-2011, 04:34 PM
Your second sentence about this being your eight-year olds favorite player is why this is a big deal. Pro athletes are role models whether John Kruk and Charles Barkley think they are or not. I'm not saying it's right, but it comes with the territory and they must recognize that. When they do something wrong it's going to be magnified.

First time offense he won't get the max, but the max is 180 days in jail - the law thinks stealing is a big deal, even if it is $60 worth of T-shirts. Correct me if I'm wrong - but a person doesn't get a max sentence of 180 days in jail for DUI or beating his spouse? Again I realize that he won't get the max penalty, but it doesn't mean it's not a big story.

brm's point about whether it should be or not can be argued, but the fact is -it is a big deal because of who he is and because of what he did - he's a pro athlete and he stole something - forget that it was $60 bucks worth of t-shirts. He took something that didn't belong to him - and no matter how you slice it - it's a big deal.

Another point that shouldn't be overlooked is the fact that he is making six figures in salary - people making six-figure salaries shouldn't be stealing anything. People in general shouldn't steal - which just makes the previous point even stronger.

Not a good move - I hope this is a one time thing and not something of compulsion for Leake - I hope he makes the necessary corrections, takes whatever punishment it is and repairs his image - because it took a hit - which is another reason why this was a big story.

All of this is true. Sadly for Leake, this will never...and I mean NEVER be erased from his legacy. He could go on to put together a Greg Maddux-like career, and this incident will still be brought up. Over time, it may become more of a joke if he lives a crime-free life and puts himself in a more favorable light moving forward, but this one act of stupidity is going to hang on him forever.

Just imagine the broadcasters' comments the first time Leake attempts to steal a base. Brutal.

Vottomatic
04-19-2011, 04:39 PM
I went to pick up some bags of concrete like 25 or so years ago. I couldn't back my truck up to the pile of concrete bags because they had stuff piled in front of them.

There was a worker on a towmotor who was there to help people. Instead of helping me, he told me I'd have to carry them to my pickup, while he went on break.

I needed 10 bags. I took 15.

Why? Because he was a jerk and didn't do his job.

Throw me in jail.

I felt like he was stealing from me by not doing his job and helping me. He easily could have used the towmotor to pick up the pallet of concrete bags and drive it over to my pickup. But he was a jerk and lazy and made no effort to help me. I was young and strong and carried all the bags to my truck. But I felt I deserved 5 extra bags since he was a jerk. :D

Not sure this has anything to do with Mike Leake. But I see Brisco's point in terms of why people steal at times.

Vottomatic
04-19-2011, 04:42 PM
All of this is true. Sadly for Leake, this will never...and I mean NEVER be erased from his legacy. He could go on to put together a Greg Maddux-like career, and this incident will still be brought up. Over time, it may become more of a joke if he lives a crime-free life and puts himself in a more favorable light moving forward, but this one act of stupidity is going to hang on him forever.

Just imagine the broadcasters' comments the first time Leake attempts to steal a base. Brutal.

We're already making jokes. Someone asked today if Leake was going to make his next start and my response was "yeah, he's going to try and STEAL the Reds a win!"

Hehehe. :p

brm7675
04-19-2011, 04:45 PM
Fans have very short memories and unless this behavior continues and such, in a while people will forget. How many people look at Ray Lewis of the Baltimore Ravens and remember what he did?

bounty37h
04-19-2011, 04:48 PM
I went to pick up some bags of concrete like 25 or so years ago. I couldn't back my truck up to the pile of concrete bags because they had stuff piled in front of them.

There was a worker on a towmotor who was there to help people. Instead of helping me, he told me I'd have to carry them to my pickup, while he went on break.

I needed 10 bags. I took 15.

Why? Because he was a jerk and didn't do his job.

Throw me in jail.

I felt like he was stealing from me by not doing his job and helping me. He easily could have used the towmotor to pick up the pallet of concrete bags and drive it over to my pickup. But he was a jerk and lazy and made no effort to help me. I was young and strong and carried all the bags to my truck. But I felt I deserved 5 extra bags since he was a jerk. :D

Not sure this has anything to do with Mike Leake. But I see Brisco's point in terms of why people steal at times.

I must confess Father, for I too have sinned. In very similar fashion at that. Bought a bunch of land scaping posts, couldnt get truck to them to load, the loader said he was on break, so I just started carrying and piling them in my truck til I couldnt move anymore. Figured they were not concerned about helping me or doing their job so I wasnt concerned about counting and doing their job either. Was it right, nope, am I worried or consider myself a bad person, nope.

bounty37h
04-19-2011, 04:49 PM
Fans have very short memories and unless this behavior continues and such, in a while people will forget. How many people look at Ray Lewis of the Baltimore Ravens and remember what he did?

I cant look at that POS thug without seeing murderer who happens to be allowed to play football.

brm7675
04-19-2011, 04:53 PM
I cant look at that POS thug without seeing murderer who happens to be allowed to play football.

And you are in the minority. He is loved by fans, and will be a HOF player after he retires and i am willing to bet many don't even recall what happened.

Mr Larkin
04-19-2011, 04:55 PM

Yes it does make him someone to be looked down upon. He is suddenly the uncle that you hope never shows up when you are around people you respect. He is the punch line to jokes whenever he walks into a room.
This will follow him and he is only 23. Things will change in a major way for him if he doesn't make some tangible life turn around. He is in a similar boat to Josh Hamilton - not the drugs, but the distrust and disbelief. He will have to prove himself again, and again, and again, and again. . .

markymark69
04-19-2011, 04:55 PM

I'm with you on that one.

markymark69
04-19-2011, 04:57 PM
And you are in the minority. He is loved by fans, and will be a HOF player after he retires and i am willing to bet many don't even recall what happened.

Sadly, you're probably right on that point.

Señor Rojo
04-19-2011, 05:05 PM
Not to make too much light of because it is a serious matter, but I think that the Reds could turn this into some positive PR by having a Mike Leake T-shirt night as a promotion. :lol:

Cant Touch This
04-19-2011, 05:07 PM

I disagree. He may be loved by Baltimore fans, but I'm with the others on this site that can't help but think MURDERER whenever I see his mug. I hate him. Hate.

Todd Gack
04-19-2011, 05:14 PM

*SIGH*

He's not a murderer. From reading about the case and seeing as that the prosecution felt they didn't have enough evidence to try HIM, I think he was with friends who was the real murderer. I know he'll forever be known as a murderer by some like yourself simply because of guilt by association.

texasdave
04-19-2011, 05:21 PM
Leake’s lawyer asked Tuesday that Leake be considered for the Hamilton County court program for first-time offenders. The 23-year-old was arrested Monday on a first-degree misdemeanor charge for allegedly removing price tags from six T-shirts in a Macy’s store and trying to leave without paying.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5gVoHLDqRVtpWuQ2OSJGzxjXHOQLg?docId=6611944

Todd Gack
04-19-2011, 05:22 PM
For some reason, I think that he's stolen before.

brm7675
04-19-2011, 05:25 PM
Okay take this for what you want...but here is Dusty's comment on the Leake issue today..

"“I can’t say, but at some point, his story will come out with exactly what happened. It just can’t come out now.”

Reds
04-19-2011, 05:27 PM
Leake will start Thursday and talk to the media following the game. I wouldn't expect anything further on the issue until then, and likely nothing more after that.

brm7675
04-19-2011, 05:29 PM
Leake will start Thursday and talk to the media following the game. I wouldn't expect anything further on the issue until then, and likely nothing more after that.

my bet is he will apologize, thank the Reds and state he is willing to accept what the judge rules and wishes to move on. It will be interesting to see how much the Reds media push him. Also wonder if we will know what the Reds will do or if it will remain in house. I mean since he is basically admittting it via his plea, if the Reds do start him on Thursday, there is no way they can then demote him as punishment after that.

Hondo
04-19-2011, 05:31 PM
I can't wait for the Cardinal and Cub fans to start heckling us on Redszone...

I hear the calm before the storm.

Reds
04-19-2011, 05:34 PM
I have to believe there was never any thought of a self-imposed penalty, it's just a misdemeanor. Dusty said he showed contrition, so as long as it's not an ongoing issue that's detrimental to the team, it's over with now as least from a baseball perspective.

thorn
04-19-2011, 05:53 PM
Well, as long as Leake makes the honest attempt at righting himself, makes necessary apology to his parents, the team and the fans, I am willing to let it go and give him that second chance, I think we all have deserved one at some point in our lives, unless your perfect. If it happens again I might not be so kind. I'm not going to make assumptions about if he has done this before, I think that is wrong. With that being said, everyone has a right to feel the way they want to about the situation, it's their choice.

brm7675
04-19-2011, 05:56 PM
Well, as long as Leake makes the honest attempt at righting himself, makes necessary apology to his parents, the team and the fans, I am willing to let it go and give him that second chance, I think we all have deserved one at some point in our lives, unless your perfect. If it happens again I might not be so kind. I'm not going to make assumptions about if he has done this before, I think that is wrong. With that being said, everyone has a right to feel the way they want to about the situation, it's their choice.

He will, but i have never understood why athlete's and such "have" to apologize to the fans. Family of course, teammates yes they should, but fans? Please...

CrimsonCrusader
04-19-2011, 05:58 PM

I appreciate your position, thorn...but...taking everything into consideration (everything being salary, status, the obvious repercussions, etc.)

...doesn't it seem like he's done this before?

Maybe not HERE...but previously?

That being the case...hasn't his "chance" already come and gone?

Just sayin'......:confused:

thorn
04-19-2011, 06:00 PM
Because fans are as much as part of this team as the players, people invest their emotions into sports and because of that their money also. I love this sport and if it wasn't for fans it might as well be soccer. :D

thorn
04-19-2011, 06:02 PM
I appreciate your position, thorn...but...taking everything into consideration (everything being salary, status, the obvious repercussions, etc.)

I don't have any evidence he has, and I've learned a long time ago assumptions can and most often do make an a?? out of me. :)

brm7675
04-19-2011, 06:02 PM

A) we don't know he has a history of this
B) doing it in the past and not getting caught is nothing like doing it here and getting caught, being arrested, being mug shot, being the lead story on all local channels and such.

brm7675
04-19-2011, 06:04 PM
Because fans are as much as part of this team as the players, people invest their emotions into sports and because of that their money also. I love this sport and if it wasn't for fans it might as well be soccer. :D

But we are not part of the team. We are not permitted on the field, in the clubhouse and such. We are just fans, he didn't do anything to us. the only time he or any athlete should apologize to fans is when their actions were against fans, like when the pacers went into the stands adn attacked fans or when the dodgers went into the stands at wrigley and attacked fans and such. Mike Leake owes us nothing more then showing up each day and doing his best when he takes the mound, nothing more...

CrimsonCrusader
04-19-2011, 06:05 PM
I do concur with that. I would buy a Reds ticket before a Bengals ticket anyday (NEVER been to a Bengals game, BTW)...and I try to attend my fair share of games throughout the year. But, yeah....if they aren't producing...or if they're getting into trouble left and right...who wants to invest in that?

CrimsonCrusader
04-19-2011, 06:16 PM
A) we don't know he has a history of this
B) doing it in the past and not getting caught is nothing like doing it here and getting caught, being arrested, being mug shot, being the lead story on all local channels and such.

A) Well, I'm not trying to speculate, God forbid...but that's a pretty bold "first offense" -- and...we also don't know that he HASN'T done this before...?

B) doing it in the past is still theft...whether he was or wasn't caught, in all the news or not...:D

...at the very least, it was a very strange move. Average people run yellows, or fib about a co-workers ensemble when asked...but they don't pre-meditatively plan to steal clothing if there isn't something else going on...or if it hasn't gone on before.

Most normal folks don't have that on their agenda.

Just sayin....;)

thorn
04-19-2011, 06:18 PM
But we are not part of the team. We are not permitted on the field, in the clubhouse and such. We are just fans, he didn't do anything to us. the only time he or any athlete should apologize to fans is when their actions were against fans, like when the pacers went into the stands adn attacked fans or when the dodgers went into the stands at wrigley and attacked fans and such. Mike Leake owes us nothing more then showing up each day and doing his best when he takes the mound, nothing more...

I understand and respect your position. I brag about this team to my co-workers, I don't do that for cubs players, or any other team. I feel like a little of that was taken away and feel like he should appreciate my support and this is his chance to show it. It's funny I only get to catch them on the west coast, I get to see very little of them, haven't lived back east in 25 years, but still root and follow them just as hard as if I was there. Can't quit them, and trust me I have tried. So when I say I feel as much as part of this team as the players do, it's because I am, I would bet anything I am more of a fan than any of the players are.

brm7675
04-19-2011, 06:28 PM
I understand and respect your position. I brag about this team to my co-workers, I don't do that for cubs players, or any other team. I feel like a little of that was taken away and feel like he should appreciate my support and this is his chance to show it. It's funny I only get to catch them on the west coast, I get to see very little of them, haven't lived back east in 25 years, but still root and follow them just as hard as if I was there. Can't quit them, and trust me I have tried. So when I say I feel as much as part of this team as the players do, it's because I am, I would bet anything I am more of a fan than any of the players are.

but how did he "harm" you? He made a dumb mistake that's all and the law is going to hold him accountable, this idea that athlete's "owe" us something is a sad state we have come to I feel...

brm7675
04-19-2011, 06:48 PM
A) Well, I'm not trying to speculate, God forbid...but that's a pretty bold "first offense" -- and...we also don't know that he HASN'T done this before...?

B) doing it in the past is still theft...whether he was or wasn't caught, in all the news or not...:D

...at the very least, it was a very strange move. Average people run yellows, or fib about a co-workers ensemble when asked...but they don't pre-meditatively plan to steal clothing if there isn't something else going on...or if it hasn't gone on before.

Most normal folks don't have that on their agenda.

Just sayin....;)

5 shirts at Macy is bold? You would be surprised how many "normal" folk do..

bleedsred
04-19-2011, 06:49 PM
Mike Leake should apologize to his parents..........I'm sure his dad would like to hide under a rock until this all blows over. On the other side of it, he don't owe me anything at all other than performing the best he can on the field. I'm sure there are a lot more drug users, drunks, thiefs, criminals than we will ever know that are professional athletes....just a few days ago didn't a Green Bay defensive lineman get bust for selling drugs? I guess it really doesn't matter how much money one makes in their life......integrety can't be bought.

CrimsonCrusader
04-19-2011, 07:00 PM
5 shirts at Macy is bold? You would be surprised how many "normal" folk do..

It was 6....

And I meant normal as in, well...normal people...not normal thieves.

I don't know anyone in my circle....and I know, I think, average people...that wouldn't steal 1 shirt. They would pay for it. That's the difference between law-abiders and lawbreakers -- which is my only point.

I don't think I'm owed anything. I could give a hoot less. But he broke the law. THAT can't be argued away.

brm7675
04-19-2011, 07:18 PM
It was 6....

And I meant normal as in, well...normal people...not normal thieves.

I don't know anyone in my circle....and I know, I think, average people...that wouldn't steal 1 shirt. They would pay for it. That's the difference between law-abiders and lawbreakers -- which is my only point.

I don't think I'm owed anything. I could give a hoot less. But he broke the law. THAT can't be argued away.

I think you might be surprised what "normal" people might or might not do. Okay it was 6 and i don't anyone has tried to argue it away, just that it's not Lead Story news and such.

Natty Redlocks
04-19-2011, 08:00 PM
I for one am not going to stand idly by while this poor disadvantaged youth turns to a life of crime. We need to put together a charity benefit for him, or something. Maybe Arroyo can do a concert. It's a sad world we live in when a major league baseball player can't afford to buy clothing

mlh1981
04-19-2011, 08:41 PM
"and I'm....an....American Rag @ss"

Pete4prez
04-20-2011, 01:45 AM
Chalk it up to youthful ignorance, hopefully he will have learned something from this incident, get himself straightend out, and be judged favorably for his actions.

BigJohn
04-20-2011, 10:10 AM
http://cdn.tauntr.com/sites/default/files/AmericanRagAd.jpg

bounty37h
04-20-2011, 02:07 PM
n/m

brm7675
04-20-2011, 03:33 PM
how would people look at this incident if the following info is true..

There is a source that states Leake did indeed pay for T-shirts some time prior to yesterday’s episode. And only in the process of clumsily trying to exchange them, did he run afoul of, if not the law, then certainly the dictates of common sense.

That Leake somehow thought that he could affect what is termed an “even exchange” without benefit of a store employee presiding over the transaction.

For his part, Leake has to produce a receipt or some other documentation of the original purchase. Macy’s, without compromising its policies, would have to review security video of the young man entering the premises, to determine if he was in possession of that merchandise.

Oxblood
04-20-2011, 04:12 PM
LMAO @ the new Leake thread in the ORG, check it out... some very funny posts. :beerme:

Red in Atl
04-20-2011, 04:20 PM

There is a source that states Leake did indeed pay for T-shirts some time prior to yesterday’s episode. And only in the process of clumsily trying to exchange them, did he run afoul of, if not the law, then certainly the dictates of common sense.

That Leake somehow thought that he could affect what is termed an “even exchange” without benefit of a store employee presiding over the transaction.

For his part, Leake has to produce a receipt or some other documentation of the original purchase. Macy’s, without compromising its policies, would have to review security video of the young man entering the premises, to determine if he was in possession of that merchandise.

I hope that's what happened. That's about the only thing that makes sense. I've done that, but usually with a sales assoc. agreeing that it was OK.

How did he get the tags off though? You have to have a tool or go to the register and use their automated one.

Seriously though, Macy's is the worst for customer service, especially on a weekday. I've waited around for help before for quite awhile.

Please make this be what really happened.

CrimsonCrusader
04-20-2011, 06:26 PM
"and I'm....an....American Rag @ss"

LmAO!!!!

CrimsonCrusader
04-20-2011, 06:29 PM
I hope that's what happened. That's about the only thing that makes sense. I've done that, but usually with a sales assoc. agreeing that it was OK.

How did he get the tags off though? You have to have a tool or go to the register and use their automated one.

Seriously though, Macy's is the worst for customer service, especially on a weekday. I've waited around for help before for quite awhile.

Please make this be what really happened.

It is still a very telling tale in lack of common sense on his part...IF it's true.

First time shopping? Geez....

Todd Gack
04-20-2011, 06:55 PM

Anyone who believes this is a Reds homer.

Reds
04-20-2011, 06:59 PM

30 minutes or it's free

love the "especially on a weekday" line :laugh:

brm7675
04-20-2011, 07:01 PM
Anyone who believes this is a Reds homer.

Why?

Todd Gack
04-20-2011, 07:02 PM
Why?

Common sense? Who in their right mind exchanges shirts and walks out without ever talking to anyone. At worst, Leake is a common thief. At best, he's just a complete idiot.

brm7675
04-20-2011, 07:06 PM
Common sense? Who in their right mind exchanges shirts and walks out without ever talking to anyone. At worst, Leake is a common thief. At best, he's just a complete idiot.

Maybe he did talk to somone, got impatient (like many do especially 23 year olds) and did just walk out. Heck I know if I couldn't get good customer service I sure as heck would consider it, remember the product was paid for, if Macy can't handle him in a timely manner that is a Macy problem, not a Mike Leake problem.

bshall2105
04-20-2011, 07:08 PM
Maybe he did talk to somone, got impatient (like many do especially 23 year olds) and did just walk out. Heck I know if I couldn't get good customer service I sure as heck would consider it, remember the product was paid for, if Macy can't handle him in a timely manner that is a Macy problem, not a Mike Leake problem.

It may not be Mike Leake's fault that he didn't receive acceptable customer service, but that still doesn't mean you go ahead and exchange the shirts yourself.

brm7675
04-20-2011, 07:12 PM
It may not be Mike Leake's fault that he didn't receive acceptable customer service, but that still doesn't mean you go ahead and exchange the shirts yourself.

Maybe he just didn't wait around for the transaction to be complete. I mean they did say the security tags were removed, so maybe the sales person removed them and then got busy with something else and Mike didn't want to wait around anymore, figured everything was okay and headed out. Smart? Maybe not, but I can see it happening.

bshall2105
04-20-2011, 07:14 PM
Maybe he just didn't wait around for the transaction to be complete. I mean they did say the security tags were removed, so maybe the sales person removed them and then got busy with something else and Mike didn't want to wait around anymore, figured everything was okay and headed out. Smart? Maybe not, but I can see it happening.

Can you at least admit that Mike Leake did something wrong?

brm7675
04-20-2011, 07:22 PM
Can you at least admit that Mike Leake did something wrong?

Stupid yes...wrong? not until we have all the information.

Krawhitham
04-20-2011, 08:36 PM
It is still a very telling tale in lack of common sense on his part...IF it's true.

First time shopping? Geez....

First time shopping who can remove security tags without the special tool

Krawhitham
04-20-2011, 08:37 PM
Stupid yes...wrong? not until we have all the information.

What he did was illegal, intent or not. By the definition of the law he stole.

Krawhitham
04-20-2011, 08:39 PM

He is on video removing the tags

Hondo
04-20-2011, 08:53 PM
For the record, I would have just bought him those Shirts.

Kiss the Baby00
04-20-2011, 09:47 PM
He is on video removing the tags

youd have better luck talking logic w a brick wall. brm will ignore your logic and say something else obnoxious to throw you off. thats his strategy

Simon Rhymon
04-21-2011, 12:20 AM

http://www.poorwilliam.net/gif-ani/smart_guy_shaking_head_no_md_clr.gif

Moosie52
04-21-2011, 07:49 AM
Seriously, Macy's puts security tags on $10 tee shirts? This smacks of bad customer service and eager beaver loss control employees. What's up, Barney Fife?

goreds2
04-21-2011, 08:48 AM
Errrrrrrrrr ! (See bottom of this link)

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/sports/2011/04/20/cardinals-fans-prepare-idea-to-taunt-reds/

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/sports/files/2011/04/Leake1.jpg

SidneySlicker
04-21-2011, 08:59 AM
I wouldn't worry about it too much about the shirts. Leake won't be on the mound this weekend in St. Louis. I'd be more worried about how he pitches today. In a 4 way tie for first the Reds badly need to end this 4 game skid.

bounty37h
04-21-2011, 10:10 AM

If this scenario is true, then yes, it is a Mike Leake problem, as he was in jail, not macys.

Brisco
04-21-2011, 06:08 PM
*SIGH*

He's not a murderer. From reading about the case and seeing as that the prosecution felt they didn't have enough evidence to try HIM, I think he was with friends who was the real murderer. I know he'll forever be known as a murderer by some like yourself simply because of guilt by association.

Lewis plead guilty to telling all the witnesses in the vehicle to "Keep your mouths shut" when police asked questions. That is part of the court record.

That alone makes his actions despicable in my book. FYI, under common law, obstruction that assists another in an offense makes you an accessory after the fact, and therefore liable for the same level of offense as they committed. In other words, if you intentionally hide the murder weapon for someone else, you are chargeable with murder yourself.

(Side note, he is alleged to have perjured himself in the subsequent murder trial, but the prosecution had insufficient evidence to charge him)

Brisco
04-21-2011, 06:15 PM

I have actually had defendants claim this scenario before... it is as common and credible a claim as the DUI accident driver who claims he started drinking AFTER the accident while waiting for the cops to arrive.

Kingspoint
04-21-2011, 06:17 PM

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/sports/2011/04/20/cardinals-fans-prepare-idea-to-taunt-reds/

That is way too funny.

Kingspoint
04-21-2011, 06:19 PM
Lewis plead guilty to telling all the witnesses in the vehicle to "Keep your mouths shut" when police asked questions. That is part of the court record.

That alone makes his actions despicable in my book. FYI, under common law, obstruction that assists another in an offense makes you an accessory after the fact, and therefore liable for the same level of offense as they committed. In other words, if you intentionally hide the murder weapon for someone else, you are chargeable with murder yourself.

(Side note, he is alleged to have perjured himself in the subsequent murder trial, but the prosecution had insufficient evidence to charge him)

Yep. Ray Lewis is an A#1 scumbag of this Earth.

Brisco
04-21-2011, 06:19 PM
First time shopping who can remove security tags without the special tool

My guess is that the term "security tag" also includes the paper price tags that have small metal sensors within them. I believe some stores use them to price any and all of their merchandise.

Kingspoint
04-21-2011, 06:20 PM
I wouldn't worry about it too much about the shirts. Leake won't be on the mound this weekend in St. Louis. I'd be more worried about how he pitches today. In a 4 way tie for first the Reds badly need to end this 4 game skid.

He's the first pitcher to step up to the plate in a while. Maybe this "incident" ends up jump-starting the team.

It's amazing where inspiration can derive from. God works in mysterious ways. "Thou shalt not steal." Except when it turns around the fortunes of the Cincinnati REDS. The end justifies the means?

Hondo
04-21-2011, 06:57 PM

Can I really buy this?

Michelle
04-21-2011, 07:49 PM
I want to know why Mike leake Stold shirts?
Michelle

Michelle
04-21-2011, 07:51 PM
I just am wondering why Mike Stold Shirts? Someone told me he loves shirts. Id Say just give him one of my shirts to donate to him if he love teashirts.
Michelle

George Foster
04-21-2011, 11:45 PM

Stealing and speeding are apples and oranges. Being arrested has nothing to do with it. You can be arrested at a protest you feel passionately about.

justincredible
04-22-2011, 01:12 AM
Leake getting arrested for petty theft, while embarrassing, is far less serious than all of the DUIs the Cardinals organization have been hit with recently. Leake put nothing (and no one) in danger but his self-image.

Vottomatic
04-22-2011, 03:37 AM
I work three jobs. Sign of the times, I guess. Anyway, I was on the way home from my construction job, after hanging drywall all day, on Tuesday, and Lance was hammering home about Mike Leake and his theft. I went to my office, spent an hour going over bills, and then got back in my car to head to my second job. Lance was still hammering about Leake. I called in for the first time in 2 years and told him that I don't condone theft, but that I was tired of hearing about Leake's ordeal, and that I was more interested in how the Reds were going to do that night with Phillips back. Lance actually gave me credit and said "that's a fair point".

After one more email about Leake, he moved on and changed the subject. Which I appreciated. I told him the legal process would hash it out and we should move on. I think everyone should. Who really cares. It seems kind of cut and dried.

Vottomatic
04-22-2011, 03:40 AM
Leake getting arrested for petty theft, while embarrassing, is far less serious than all of the DUIs the Cardinals organization have been hit with recently. Leake put nothing (and no one) in danger but his self-image.

I'm not here to lessen the crime that Leake committed. But I feel that we should just let the legal process do it's thing and move on.

Simon Rhymon
04-22-2011, 12:58 PM
I just am wondering why Mike Stold Shirts? Someone told me he loves shirts. Id Say just give him one of my shirts to donate to him if he love teashirts.
Michelle

I, for one, am impressed that Mrs Obama is taking an interest in Mike Leake so quickly after having problems landing at Andrews.

Michelle
04-22-2011, 04:43 PM
I am sorry for asking this question.
Michelle

Phoenix2
04-23-2011, 07:00 PM
As a Sun Devil and Reds fan, this episode is very disappointing. There really is no excuse. Leake is a fool. And you will not be able to convince me that this was the first time he ever shoplifted. This was the first time he got caught. I will never view him the same way. I just can't believe that he did this to himself.

Red in Atl
04-23-2011, 07:03 PM
You know folks, in America, you are innocent until proven guilty. Did no one here go to school?

Can we let the legal process do it's job and quit talking about this?

Phoenix2
04-23-2011, 07:35 PM
You know folks, in America, you are innocent until proven guilty. Did no one here go to school?

That is just official legal status as you go through prosecution. In reality, of course, you are guilty once you commit the crime.

Reds
04-23-2011, 07:53 PM
Did you guys hear Leake stole shirts? Not that it'll be overblown or anything..