PDA

View Full Version : Platoon (not the movie)

Oxblood
04-20-2011, 11:03 AM
Thoughts on platooning Bruce & Gomes. At this point JB doesn't deserve to start everyday. I say platoon Bruce & Gomes in right and give Heisey the starting job in left. Would pay dividends immediately.

brm7675
04-20-2011, 11:18 AM
Thoughts on platooning Bruce & Gomes. At this point JB doesn't deserve to start everyday. I say platoon Bruce & Gomes in right and give Heisey the starting job in left. Would pay dividends immediately.

What good does it serve to bench him? Do you think sitting will get him out of his funk? how about shaking up the batting order, put him in a spot to see better pitches maybe.

cbowen2112
04-20-2011, 11:49 AM
What good does it serve to bench him? Do you think sitting will get him out of his funk? how about shaking up the batting order, put him in a spot to see better pitches maybe.

This....put him in the 2 hole and BP in the 5 spot.. Bruce would see so many fastballs in fornt of Votto and having Stubbs on base will distract the pitcher. Bruce has speed too.

BigJohn
04-20-2011, 11:57 AM
No Duh! I said that a long time ago!

DirtyBaker
04-20-2011, 01:52 PM
This....put him in the 2 hole and BP in the 5 spot.. Bruce would see so many fastballs in fornt of Votto and having Stubbs on base will distract the pitcher. Bruce has speed too.

Beware, there's a large contingent of Sundeckers who swear by Bruce in the 5 or 6 hole. The "RBI machine" needs a chance of scenery, either in the batting order or by platoon.

Vottomatic
04-20-2011, 05:17 PM
I'd bat Jay leadoff.

Kiss the Baby00
04-20-2011, 05:31 PM
jay jsut got a 50 million dollar deal. he isnt going to the bench after 17 games.

bshall2105
04-20-2011, 06:24 PM
I'd bat Jay leadoff.

He does have Barry Bonds like home run production out of the lead off spot.

Hondo
04-20-2011, 09:24 PM
I really hate it every year people start talking about Jay Bruce not deserving to start. The guys needs PA's and his numbers will be there at the end of the year.

lonewolf371
04-20-2011, 10:46 PM
Bruce is doing bad against everyone right now, not just lefties. There's no point in platooning him. If you bench him vs. lefties you're arguing for benching vs. everyone. Let him play and get out of his funk.

Tadasimha
04-21-2011, 09:23 AM

So you want to bench one of the best defensive outfielders in the league and move Gomes (who is NOT one of the best defensive outfielders) into right?

That makes no sense at all.

Maybe let Heisey get more games in left and use Gomes as a RISP pinch hitter and spot LF. Jay Bruce has saved so many games with his glove out in right that I'll take the slow start at the plate.

swaisuc
04-21-2011, 10:09 AM
1st I'll point out the obvious in regards to the OP. Nobody, even for one game, is crazy enough to start Heisey and Gomes at the same time and play Gomes in Right. Right field (esp at Cincy) is way more important than left and Heisey is 10 times the defender that Gomes is.

In regards to the real point about the platoon, I am completely against it. How will Jay ever develop into a star if you stunt him by never letting him face lefties? Bruce being only good against righties is starting to turn into a self-fulfilling prophecy for the Reds. When he never gets to play against them, ya he will end up being bad against LHP. If you're only concerned about production right now this week, then why mess with a platoon. Just bench him completely. I would be against that too because I do care about the long term, but at least it would make sense.

lonewolf371
04-21-2011, 11:16 AM
1st I'll point out the obvious in regards to the OP. Nobody, even for one game, is crazy enough to start Heisey and Gomes at the same time and play Gomes in Right. Right field (esp at Cincy) is way more important than left and Heisey is 10 times the defender that Gomes is.

In regards to the real point about the platoon, I am completely against it. How will Jay ever develop into a star if you stunt him by never letting him face lefties? Bruce being only good against righties is starting to turn into a self-fulfilling prophecy for the Reds. When he never gets to play against them, ya he will end up being bad against LHP. If you're only concerned about production right now this week, then why mess with a platoon. Just bench him completely. I would be against that too because I do care about the long term, but at least it would make sense.
Also there's the fact that he was good against lefties last year.