PDA

View Full Version : Duh....winning, barely.

cbowen2112
04-21-2011, 05:31 PM
So I got to thinking about the swagger this club had when they started off 5-0. They lost a get away game, no big deal. Then the wheels seemed to come off against the D-Backs, then off to San Diego. We all thought it would end up worse, but we got 2 out of 3 there. Then back to Cincy to face the Pirates. Oh boy what a nightmare! The Pirates were just unstoppable less one game. Yes, the team beat itself up for much of that series too. The win today does save some face, but how in the world did the D-Backs just pull that off, again?

The point is, this team needs to find that swagger tonight before they make the short trek to St. Louis. They need to have some fire in their bellies and really come to life against the division opponent.

The good news: the pitching match ups do not look completely horrible.

The bad news: our bullpen has been worked way too much this last week.

Let's hope to see some good old fashion ball games this weekend!

brm7675
04-21-2011, 06:01 PM
Isn't "swagger" that stuff you get on the bottom of your shoe when leaving a movie theater or ballpark?

Kiss the Baby00
04-21-2011, 06:06 PM
Isn't "swagger" that stuff you get on the bottom of your shoe when leaving a movie theater or ballpark?

i dont even know what you are referring to. how old are you brm? and how do u have so much free time to post all day and night?

brm7675
04-21-2011, 06:14 PM
My point is this idea of 'swagger' or 'game face' and such used by fans is a joke. Players go out and play and sometimes they have slumps or don't play well, but to think 'swagger' or anything like that plays a role is just wrong.:lol:

Kiss the Baby00
04-21-2011, 07:01 PM
how old are you brm? and how do u have so much free time to post all day and night?

you always ignore questions.

im 26 and self employed are my answers to the questions.

brm7675
04-21-2011, 07:07 PM

I am 76 and retired...

Reds
04-21-2011, 07:16 PM

I am 76 and retired...

Great answer :lol:

ruREaDy2
04-21-2011, 07:38 PM
To all you ole' geezers out there swagger=confidence. :thumbup:

In all honesty though, confidence or swagger is important in any aspect of life. Whether it be preparing to take a test at school, giving a presentation at work, trying to impress somone on a date or just going out and playing baseball, confidence (swagger) matters!

Jack Burton
04-21-2011, 09:07 PM
When some wild-eyed, eight-foot-tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head up against the barroom wall, and he looks you crooked in the eye and he asks you if ya paid your dues, you just stare that big sucker right back in the eye, and you remember what ol' Jack Burton always says at a time like that: "Have ya paid your dues, Jack?" "Yessir, the check's in the mail."

CWRed
04-21-2011, 10:31 PM
I tried swagger once back in the 70's but I did not like it. :D

BigJohn
04-21-2011, 11:24 PM
I thought a swagger was someone that handed out SWAG!
:laugh:

tkemmerer14
04-22-2011, 02:26 AM
In all seriousness I do not see how it is even deniable that swagger (confidence) helps athletes succeed... ESPECIALLY in a game that is so mental. Saying anything otherwise shows to me that you have never played the sport

Vottomatic
04-22-2011, 03:42 AM
I will be 46 years old on June 19th. My father bought our first color TV for the 1975 playoffs.

Enough said.

I'm a diehard Reds fan.

Decided to add that my uncle and eventually my father, had Reds season tickets dating back to the 1940's at Crosley Field to Riverfront Stadium until they moved to GABP. Our family couldn't afford GABP season tickets.

I have a huge Baseball Card collection from the 1970's and 1980's. Eventually I'd like to sell it. But I also have the ticket stubs from the first game ever played at Riverfront Stadium. Those stubs are probably worth next to nothing, but I keep them covered in plastic, to keep them from aging.

jrandal9
04-22-2011, 10:09 AM
I would have to say that "swagger" AKA confidence does play a HUGE role in the game of baseball. When you know you are able to do something and it produces results you feel like you can keep doing that. When you fail, you get rattled and doubt yourself. Anybody that has played a sport knows this.:thumbup: