PDA

View Full Version : Reevaluating the Drop-and-Drive in Pitching Mechanics (re: Young Seaver in ORG)

Number_Fourteen
05-01-2011, 09:17 AM
http://www3.amherst.edu/sports/current/mantle/0614_tipoftheweek.html

A question was asked in ORG in the thread "Young Seaver", on why few of today's hurlers use the drop-and-drive delivery as exemplified by Seaver himself and Nolan Ryan.

Some interesting tidbits in the link above that break down the drop & drive, and counter with some plausible arguments on why it's not for everybody. I did YouTube Seaver & Ryan, paying particularly close attention to the shoulder & back muscles near the end of the delivery. While I am no pitching coach, it did seem that their deliveries were exceptionally strenuous on the shoulder & throughout the back -- precisely the areas drop & drive is touted to spare from excessive stress.

I do not recall Seaver or Ryan (elbow Ryan) ever having shoulder issues, so perhaps they were exceptions mainly due to having very thick & powerful lower bodies? Anyway, would love to hear some analysis and opinion.

BluegrassRedleg
05-01-2011, 06:32 PM
Interesting topic. Both were known for exceptional durability. They both owed a lot to tremendous leg/core strength, too.