PDA

View Full Version : Why is Jonny Gomes the Starter in Left Field?

Kingspoint
05-03-2011, 09:10 PM
Can't think of one logical reason.

I'd release the guy.

BAKER12
05-03-2011, 09:38 PM
He is leading the team in HR, RBI and second in SB

signalhome
05-03-2011, 10:11 PM
He is leading the team in HR, RBI and second in SB

His OPS was north of 1.131 on April 17th. It is now .792. People are going to be frustrated when a player has a stretch like that. You play up how he is leading the team in RBIs, but the only reason for that is the amount of time Votto has been on base in front of him. He's actually only hitting .200 with RISP. For a guy touted as being a super-clutch hitter, only three position players on the roster have a worse batting average with men in scoring position (Francisco, Bruce, and Hernandez). However, he does have an OBP of .381 in those situations, so it's not like he's been absolutely worthless at the plate. I'm just noting that the reason he has more RBIs than anyone else is because he's had more PAs with RISP than anyone on the team -- 41 PAs for Gomes, next closest is Bruce with 31; I have not accounted for HBPs in calculating that, so it's possible Gomes may have more, if either of his two HBPs occurred with RISP.

BAKER12
05-03-2011, 10:59 PM
If the Reds had someone that was a huge upgrade he would be playing. I am not sure, what the obsession is with Heisey. He is a better fielder than Gomes and other than being a fan favorite (backup QB syndrome) I do not think he is better. Simply put, the likes of St. Louis and the Brewers added pieces to their teams in the off season and the Reds stayed pat. Without Rolen we are just not a very good baseball team.

Reds
05-04-2011, 12:54 AM
Jonny Gomes you so streaky!

Vottomatic
05-04-2011, 06:17 AM
If the Reds had someone that was a huge upgrade he would be playing. I am not sure, what the obsession is with Heisey. He is a better fielder than Gomes and other than being a fan favorite (backup QB syndrome) I do not think he is better. Simply put, the likes of St. Louis and the Brewers added pieces to their teams in the off season and the Reds stayed pat. Without Rolen we are just not a very good baseball team.

I'm not so sure how good we are with Rolen in the batting order. He's a far cry from what he used to be.

HalMorrisRules
05-04-2011, 09:03 AM
Because he has the 6th best OBP on the team. Better than Heisey, Bruce and Hermida. See? Nice and logical.

texasdave
05-04-2011, 09:34 AM
In a nutshell: Dusty Baker. End of discussion.

STAT Heisey Gomes
OPS 0.787 0.760
PA/RBI 3.6 6.6
GLOVE YES NO
MOHAWK NO YES
VC NO YES

1)VC - Found in the glossary of Bakermetrics 101. VC stands for Veteran Creaminess, which is usually in the eye of the beholder. Bakermetrics holds that no team can win on a consistent basis without an excess amount of Veteran Creaminess.

2)In his last 42 PA (Heisey has 43 on the season, Jonny Gomes has an OPS of .300. This is testing the very limits of VC.

brm7675
05-04-2011, 11:13 AM
There is no logical reason, on any other team he is your bench player at best...

bounty37h
05-04-2011, 11:28 AM
Can't think of one logical reason.

I'd release the guy.

Funny, 2-3 weeks ago the posts seemed to be how he had turned it around, what great at bats he was having this season, etc.

Simon Rhymon
05-04-2011, 11:50 AM
Funny, 2-3 weeks ago the posts seemed to be how he had turned it around, what great at bats he was having this season, etc.

How true. Apparently he is the best option in a less than mediocre lot. Fred Lewis was just activated so maybe he'll get some playing time.

BAKER12
05-04-2011, 05:49 PM
The Mohawk is probably worth three starts a week

Hondo
05-04-2011, 05:58 PM
The Mohawk is probably worth three starts a week

Makes Sense.

Vottomatic
05-04-2011, 06:07 PM
Fred Lewis was just activated so maybe he'll get some playing time.

Not if you read Dusty's comments today. Dusty seems disinterested in Fred Lewis. Fred must have broken up with Dusty's daughter.

Kiss the Baby00
05-04-2011, 06:12 PM
Not if you read Dusty's comments today. Dusty seems disinterested in Fred Lewis. Fred must have broken up with Dusty's daughter.

link to comments please

Vottomatic
05-04-2011, 06:14 PM
link to comments please

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2011/05...-optioned/

Dusty Baker gave Lewis somewhat less than a ringing endorsement .

“His rehab expired yesterday,” Baker said. “He’s healthy. He was looking pretty good. It’s a combination of a baseball decision and a business decision. Being on the roster, being on rehab, if you don’t call them up, the rule says they become a free agent and you’ve got to pay them anyway. So, like I said, it was a baseball decision and a business decision. Hermida had options and Fred had no options.”

Sean_CaseyRules
05-04-2011, 10:47 PM
I think that by the end of May Gomes is gonna be on one of his hot streaks again, and tear the cover off the ball.

To basically steal a Dennis Green quote, "He is who we thought he is". Streaky, and although right now he's not clutch, he'll get that AVG up with RISP, and his OBP of .300+ w/RISP is pretty darn good.

He'll come around, and then I'll get my mohawk lol.

LeDoux
05-04-2011, 11:14 PM
In a nutshell: Dusty Baker. End of discussion.

STAT Heisey Gomes
OPS 0.787 0.760
PA/RBI 3.6 6.6
GLOVE YES NO
MOHAWK NO YES
VC NO YES

1)VC - Found in the glossary of Bakermetrics 101. VC stands for Veteran Creaminess, which is usually in the eye of the beholder. Bakermetrics holds that no team can win on a consistent basis without an excess amount of Veteran Creaminess.

2)In his last 42 PA (Heisey has 43 on the season, Jonny Gomes has an OPS of .300. This is testing the very limits of VC.

So how creamy is Fred Lewis?

Reds
05-04-2011, 11:16 PM
http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2011/05...-optioned/

Dusty Baker gave Lewis somewhat less than a ringing endorsement .

“His rehab expired yesterday,” Baker said. “He’s healthy. He was looking pretty good. It’s a combination of a baseball decision and a business decision. Being on the roster, being on rehab, if you don’t call them up, the rule says they become a free agent and you’ve got to pay them anyway. So, like I said, it was a baseball decision and a business decision. Hermida had options and Fred had no options.”

Dusty did say that it was both baseball and a business decision and said Fred looked pretty good, so I wouldn't say he was in the dog house from the get go.

Simon Rhymon
05-05-2011, 09:47 AM
I think that by the end of May Gomes is gonna be on one of his hot streaks again, and tear the cover off the ball.

Do you also have the Powerball numbers for any upcoming draw? ;)

texasdave
05-05-2011, 10:19 AM
So how creamy is Fred Lewis?

Not as creamy as Hermida it would seem. Hermida was recalled on the 18th and played that day. He also played the 19th and started on the 20th.

Fred Lewis was chained to the bench to the bench yesterday and with a righthander going today for the Astros one might think he would be leading off and playing left. But, nope, Jonny Gomes is gonna face a tough righthander in Brett Myers.

Probably because Gomes is swinging such a hot bat. .095 Average and .339 OPS in his last 50 PA.

Law of averages is on Jonny's side though.

markymark69
05-05-2011, 01:07 PM
Because he has the 6th best OBP on the team. Better than Heisey, Bruce and Hermida. See? Nice and logical.

Easy now - you're letting facts get in the way of most of the opinions on this board. You see if they don't like said player - said player is not allowed to slump - ever. And if they play well - Chris Heisey should still play.

I agree with you I just think the club thinks there is not enough of an upgrade to unseat him. I'm not a huge Gomes fan - but they are committed to him until they believe they have something better.