PDA

View Full Version : Lead off with Lewis (in LF) against RHP

malcontent
05-07-2011, 06:42 PM
and move Stubbs behind Bruce.

Watch the offense purr.

So simple...what did Freddie ever do to antagonize Dusty?

:confused:

Jack Burton
05-07-2011, 07:03 PM
and move Stubbs behind Bruce.

Watch the offense purr.

So simple...what did Freddie ever do to antagonize Dusty?

:confused:

Maybe he went Chris Brown on dusty's daughter.

bshall2105
05-07-2011, 07:12 PM
Maybe he went Chris Brown on dusty's daughter.

I can actually confirm that this is exactly what happened.

DocRed
05-07-2011, 08:58 PM
Dude is definitely in the Dusty Doghouse for some reason....

CWRed
05-08-2011, 05:54 PM
Yes Stubbs needs to go back to hitting later in the lineup. I think Lewis said something derogatory about Corey Patterson's eyebrows in front of Dusty.

mu4103
05-08-2011, 06:25 PM
What has Lewis done to show he deserves any playing time? I don't think 1-3 with a homerun and 2 RBI gaurantees a starting position (though if averaged out over 550 abs it is impressive). He hit .204 in the spring. He was called up on Wednesday (after an injury) and you want to give him the full time LFer and lead-off job. There was a lot of talk that he wouldn't make the team in the spring anyway. He may not even be up here if it wasn't for Francisco's injury. Let him at least get a week in before he is proclaimed to be in Dusty's dog house.

Natty Redlocks
05-08-2011, 08:02 PM
This isn't about Lewis; it's about Gomes getting every opportunity to turn it around. Like it or not, Dusty feels he's earned it.

bounty37h
05-09-2011, 09:46 AM
What has Lewis done to show he deserves any playing time? I don't think 1-3 with a homerun and 2 RBI gaurantees a starting position (though if averaged out over 550 abs it is impressive). He hit .204 in the spring. He was called up on Wednesday (after an injury) and you want to give him the full time LFer and lead-off job. There was a lot of talk that he wouldn't make the team in the spring anyway. He may not even be up here if it wasn't for Francisco's injury. Let him at least get a week in before he is proclaimed to be in Dusty's dog house.

Seems right to me.

Old NDN
05-09-2011, 10:00 AM
I suppose if Gomes continues to struggle, somebody should be given more PT. Heisey? Sappelt? Well, the "back of Lewis' baseball card" doesn't suggest he's the answer, either. He's pretty much been a lifer as a fill-in, pitch hitter, SB threat, etc. Never really fulfilling his perceived potential. If a change has to be made, I would bring up Sappelt (when he's healthy again) and see what he can contribute. Heisey hasn't really excelled when given any extended playing time in the past. Just another man's opinion of an on-going problem in LF.

lonewolf371
05-09-2011, 10:07 AM
Career OBP of .354 vs. righties. That's marginal improvement over Stubbs right now, plus he doesn't have Stubbs' speed. Maybe if Stubbs' OBP starts to plummet later this year, it might be a good thing. Lewis doesn't really scream "must-start" to me, though. We're not talking Ichiro Suzuki, here.

Oxblood
05-09-2011, 10:37 AM
Point blank, Gomes sucks. He's not an everyday guy.

Hey Meat
05-09-2011, 12:46 PM
Point blank, Gomes sucks. He's not an everyday guy.
Methinks its time for a platoon in left.

Hey Meat
05-09-2011, 12:47 PM
I wish we hadn't gotten rid of Nix. We could platoon him and Gomes

fielder's choice
05-09-2011, 12:52 PM
Time to bench Gomes, he flatout sucks. Lewis couldnt be any worse at the plate but he can play defense.

SidneySlicker
05-09-2011, 01:59 PM
I love the way Gomes plays the game, but he's simply getting ate up right now at the plate. Heisey is too good to let rot on the bench while Gomes struggles. I don't know that Heisey is ever going to be a great player, but he's earned a chance to start every day and Gomes has earned a spot on the bench.

BAKER12
05-09-2011, 02:01 PM
Dusty (for what it's worth) wanted to keep Nix

signalhome
05-09-2011, 02:05 PM
I don't think I want Lewis at the top of the lineup -- I'm growing pretty fond of Stubbs up there, with his improved OBP -- but I'm more than okay with giving the guy starts in LF against RHP. He's been good against RHP in his career.

mu4103
05-09-2011, 04:03 PM
I don't think I want Lewis at the top of the lineup -- I'm growing pretty fond of Stubbs up there, with his improved OBP -- but I'm more than okay with giving the guy starts in LF against RHP. He's been good against RHP in his career.

Also, Lewis' career OBP is .348 (.354 against righties). Last year his OBP against righties was .337 - that is not a great number for a lead-off hitter. Last year when Stubbs was striking out so much his OBP was .329 (.338 against righties). This year his OBP is .349. With OBP being a key stat for a lead-off hitter, Stubbs would be better than Lewis. Dropping him to the seven hole would allow the use of his power and wheels as well, but he won't have as much protection.

lonewolf371
05-09-2011, 05:57 PM
Stubbs' OBP will come down because he just strikes out too much. He's going to be a .270/.340/.450 guy over the course of his career. There's nothing wrong with that, especially with his defense, but even I'll admit he's not an ideal lead-off hitter.