PDA

View Full Version : Are fans biased towards prospects?

kfm
05-07-2011, 08:41 PM
If there is one thing that I have noticed that seems to exist on this board and on most fan boards, it is a love affair almost obsession for prospects. I can't help but wonder what is at the heart of this matter. I am curious if others think that fans love prospects more than they merit the love. Are prospects the baseball equivalent of the backup quarterback in football? Is it because we haven't learned what to dislike about them, or that they make, by baseball standards, relatively little money, is it because they don't seem to have big egos, or their future seems limitless or is it just based upon our dislike of the veteran who we think is blocking them? Would love to know what people think.

signalhome
05-07-2011, 08:52 PM
I think it's mostly the possibility that the player could be great for a number of years at a very low cost. Look at Joey Votto. He has been phenomenal the past three years, and the Reds still control him for the next three years at a very reasonable cost. Jay Bruce has been a really good player for two and a half years, all for a very good price. They were able to lock him up in the offseason for six more years at a pretty good cost. I would argue, however, that fans and front offices both tend to overvalue prospects. When you've got a chance to acquire an already-proven talent (at an affordable cost, of course) for someone that may or may not pan out, I think that move should be made more often than not.

mroby85
05-07-2011, 09:41 PM
I think you hit the nail on the head with your post, i've noticed that as well. I tend to be one that would rather have a veteran on my team, but I think it's just one of those things where people think they have potential to be really good, where as a veteran is to the point in their career you already have a good idea of what you're getting. To be honest though, how many prospects did we hear about before Joey Votto arrived? It got to the point for me that I got annoyed just hearing about prospects, however that has changed since the new ownership took over. I think its combination of potential, and not being accustomed to their weaknesses to be frustrated with them. I definitely think it exists though, like you said.

lonewolf371
05-07-2011, 10:09 PM
I saw a quote on this. It was something along the lines of "people always love rookies because they haven't had the opportunity to suck yet."

kfm
05-07-2011, 11:09 PM
Do you think fans would be clamoring for a veteran pitcher who walks as many people as Aroldis Chapman does to be the closer?

Revering4Blue
05-07-2011, 11:37 PM
I think it's mostly the possibility that the player could be great for a number of years at a very low cost. Look at Joey Votto. He has been phenomenal the past three years, and the Reds still control him for the next three years at a very reasonable cost. Jay Bruce has been a really good player for two and a half years, all for a very good price. They were able to lock him up in the offseason for six more years at a pretty good cost. I would argue, however, that fans and front offices both tend to overvalue prospects. When you've got a chance to acquire an already-proven talent (at an affordable cost, of course) for someone that may or may not pan out, I think that move should be made more often than not.

Agreed, but conversely, while in selling mode, a franchise that is in selling mode cannot afford to give away an already-proven talent for low-ceiling prospects or everybody's favorite: Pile 'O Cash.

That's a major reason why it took this franchise so long to return to prosperity.

Vottomatic
05-08-2011, 09:56 AM
I think part of the mentality is because the Reds are small market and have to consider their total payroll. It will always be a natural progression of moving prospects up to the major league level to keep payroll in check.

If the Reds were willing to have a $100M+ payroll, I have no doubt they'd already have Beltran and Reyes traded for.

Grouse
05-09-2011, 02:27 PM
Its the old back-up quarter-back thing. He is always the favirote player utill he gets to play.

RedsFanInBama
05-09-2011, 03:17 PM
Its the old back-up quarter-back thing. He is always the favirote player utill he gets to play.
QFT