PDA

View Full Version : Cueto looked great!

Hondo
05-08-2011, 04:26 PM
Pitchers IP H R ER BB SO HR PC-ST ERA
J Cueto 6.0 5 0 0 1 4 0 102-63 0.00

Dusty even took him out at just the right time... I guess those 99 pitches through 4 2/3 Innings in his last rehab start were a telling sign that his arm strength was back to throw 100 pitches...

Hey BRM7675 - Guess Cueto was ready to go after all...

Red in Atl
05-08-2011, 05:09 PM
Cueto and Bailey back in the rotation could make all the difference. Now if we could remember how to hit the baseball...

Vottomatic
05-08-2011, 05:12 PM
Encouraging outing. He threw 59 pitches through the first 3 innings. Was surprised he started the 7th, but hey, impressive.

Management needs to look at addressing the lineup. This team is having serious issues. If Stubbs does manage not to strikeout and get on base, Votto isn't getting anything to hit. And Renteria batting second is just plain dumb. They need to acquire a hitter (Beltran) to protect Votto in the lineup. Seriously. Gomes with another embarrassing hitting performance.

nux fan
05-08-2011, 05:19 PM
gomes should be benched

knoonan991
05-08-2011, 05:22 PM
Encouraging outing. He threw 59 pitches through the first 3 innings. Was surprised he started the 7th, but hey, impressive.

Management needs to look at addressing the lineup. This team is having serious issues. If Stubbs does manage not to strikeout and get on base, Votto isn't getting anything to hit. And Renteria batting second is just plain dumb. They need to acquire a hitter (Beltran) to protect Votto in the lineup. Seriously. Gomes with another embarrassing hitting performance.

Carlos Beltran is currently making $19 million this year, no chance the Reds go after him. The offense will be fine once Rolen comes back and Phillips can move back to the 2nd spot.

CWRed
05-08-2011, 05:49 PM
No on Beltran. Play Heisey and Lewis. See what happens.

Vottomatic
05-08-2011, 07:01 PM
Carlos Beltran is currently making $19 million this year, no chance the Reds go after him. The offense will be fine once Rolen comes back and Phillips can move back to the 2nd spot.

You're right. No chance this Reds management goes after him. But they could unload Cordero's salary $12M and then pick up Beltran's.

If you're counting on Rolen hitting behind Votto to give Joey better pitches to hit..........good luck with that. Scott's best hitting days are behind him.

With this mentality of the fans and management, Reds will either fail to make playoffs or get swept again if they even make them. But apparently people on here are just happy to make the playoffs. This team is not good enough to go far with the current lineup.

redsfan_12
05-08-2011, 07:06 PM
Heisey or Lewis should be batting 2nd....and playing everyday.

Maker_84
05-08-2011, 07:51 PM
You're right. No chance this Reds management goes after him. But they could unload Cordero's salary $12M and then pick up Beltran's.

If you're counting on Rolen hitting behind Votto to give Joey better pitches to hit..........good luck with that. Scott's best hitting days are behind him.

With this mentality of the fans and management, Reds will either fail to make playoffs or get swept again if they even make them. But apparently people on here are just happy to make the playoffs. This team is not good enough to go far with the current lineup.

+ 1. I'm happy the pitching is improving but the Hitting needs somewhat of a makeover. Back to back days with only 5 hits is not very good against an average Cubs pitching staff.

lidspinner
05-08-2011, 08:02 PM
how about unloading Coco's contract and going after Josh Johnson? Id rather have him than Beltran....I am not sold on Leake/Wood/Volquez/Cueto all being studs for another few years.....1 of them is going to fail....just try to pick the right one..lol.....give me an ace like JJ and see if Chapman can set up Masset and lets ride......

I think we have the offense and defense to win the central....we need some more pitching.....we need an ace.....every team struggles with the bat for short periods of time...Last year the Phillies struggled for 3 weeks. The Giants hit a rough patch last year as well.....point is, the cream will rise to the top, and I think this pitching staff is not the cream.

Stray
05-08-2011, 08:09 PM
I don't think anyone would mind unloading Coco's contract, the hard part is finding a sucker to take it on.

I'd love to see Stubbs further down in the order and Lewis/Heisey taking a crack at leadoff. As for the bat behind Votto...I agree Rolen can't do it at this stage in his career so I can't imagine a better option than Phillips. What sucks is lately both BP and Votto have gone into mini-slumps. It'll be interesting to see if we're active as we get towards the trade deadline this summer.

Oh and I can't imagine any situation where the Marlins would be looking to deal Johnson this season. They have a good enough team to at least contend for the WC.

lonewolf371
05-09-2011, 09:45 AM

Oh these forums would be so hilarious if we unloaded Coco and started having to watch Chapman and his 9.24 BB/9 start blowing saves out the wazoo. You think you're frustrated right now?

lidspinner
05-09-2011, 12:06 PM
I don't think anyone would mind unloading Coco's contract, the hard part is finding a sucker to take it on.

I'd love to see Stubbs further down in the order and Lewis/Heisey taking a crack at leadoff. As for the bat behind Votto...I agree Rolen can't do it at this stage in his career so I can't imagine a better option than Phillips. What sucks is lately both BP and Votto have gone into mini-slumps. It'll be interesting to see if we're active as we get towards the trade deadline this summer.

Oh and I can't imagine any situation where the Marlins would be looking to deal Johnson this season. They have a good enough team to at least contend for the WC.

I dont mean unload it on another team.....I mean unload it after this year...dont bring him back....lets go get Josh Johnson and let him take the money that we are paying coco and call it a wash....who here would take JJ over coco and Masset as our closer? I think the majority.....

Hondo
05-09-2011, 12:27 PM
I dont mean unload it on another team.....I mean unload it after this year...dont bring him back....lets go get Josh Johnson and let him take the money that we are paying coco and call it a wash....who here would take JJ over coco and Masset as our closer? I think the majority.....

Yep. Josh Johnson will be making 13.75 Million and the Marlins have 10-12 Arbitration elgible players so they will be trading Johnson before next season.

Would be nice to go get this guy... So impressive. Reminds me of Maddux. This could be like the Braves in 1992 Adding Maddux to their good young pitchers...

There is virtually no chance the Reds bring back Cordero for 12 Million so if the Reds can use their farm system to get this guy, I'm all for it.

brm7675
05-09-2011, 01:29 PM
Pitchers IP H R ER BB SO HR PC-ST ERA
J Cueto 6.0 5 0 0 1 4 0 102-63 0.00

Dusty even took him out at just the right time... I guess those 99 pitches through 4 2/3 Innings in his last rehab start were a telling sign that his arm strength was back to throw 100 pitches...

Hey BRM7675 - Guess Cueto was ready to go after all...

wow against the might Cubs with the wind blowing in. Yep that is good, lets see how "good' he is next Sat, at Cincy vs the Cards..

brm7675
05-09-2011, 01:32 PM

We already have someone to hit behind Votto. If the Reds were smart here is the lineup to go with:

Lewis/Heisey
Phillips
Votto
Bruce
Stubbs
Hernanez/Hanigan
Valieka/Cario
Janish

Go with that line up and see what happens.

brm7675
05-09-2011, 01:34 PM
Yep. Josh Johnson will be making 13.75 Million and the Marlins have 10-12 Arbitration elgible players so they will be trading Johnson before next season.

Would be nice to go get this guy... So impressive. Reminds me of Maddux. This could be like the Braves in 1992 Adding Maddux to their good young pitchers...

There is virtually no chance the Reds bring back Cordero for 12 Million so if the Reds can use their farm system to get this guy, I'm all for it.

Take this to the bank, Johnson has a greater chance of ending up on teh DL then he does of being traded. Marlins won't move this guy, they move others, but not Josh, two much presure from fans...

Hondo
05-09-2011, 01:48 PM
wow against the might Cubs with the wind blowing in. Yep that is good, lets see how "good' he is next Sat, at Cincy vs the Cards..

What a true Reds supporter... you just implied that you hope he gets blown up against St. Louis.

Nice! :thumbup:

Post Script: You were WRONG.

signalhome
05-09-2011, 01:51 PM

The wind blowing in has nothing to do with only giving up one walk. That is the most impressive feat of the day for Cueto. A lower BB/9 was key to Cueto's success last year, and if he can continue that, hopefully he can continue to pitch as well as he did last year.

brm7675
05-09-2011, 01:51 PM
What a true Reds supporter... you just implied that you hope he gets blown up against St. Louis.

Nice! :thumbup:

Post Script: You were WRONG.

I will be at the game, I hope he does well, but i am also able to understand that he faced the Cubs with the wind blowing in and next will be facing a very good offense in a homer friendly park and am wanting to see him then and a few more starts before saying he is back.

Hondo
05-09-2011, 01:55 PM
We already have someone to hit behind Votto. If the Reds were smart here is the lineup to go with:

Lewis/Heisey
Phillips
Votto
Bruce
Stubbs
Hernanez/Hanigan
Valieka/Cario
Janish

Go with that line up and see what happens.

I would agree they need to let Lewis just start in left and bat lead off for about 2 weeks to see what happens...

But I would put Stubbs in between Votto and Bruce...

signalhome
05-09-2011, 01:58 PM
I will be at the game, I hope he does well, but i am also able to understand that he faced the Cubs with the wind blowing in and next will be facing a very good offense in a homer friendly park and am wanting to see him then and a few more starts before saying he is back.

http://www.fangraphs.com/plays.aspx?date=2011-05-08&team=Cubs&dh=0&season=2011

Please check the game log. Count the number of fly balls Cueto gave up. He only gave up four fly balls. For the day, his batted balls in play were: 15.8 LD%, 63.2 GB%, 21.1 FB%, for a .263 BABIP. The wind had very little impact on Cueto's day, especially since three of the fly balls were considered fliners (line drive/fly ball mix), meaning three of the fly balls were effected minimally by the wind. The guy pitched very well, and it wasn't because of the wind blowing in. Also, the Cubs have the #7 wOBA in the National League. That's close to middle of the pack, so it's not like he was feasting on the lowly Padres.

Hondo
05-09-2011, 01:59 PM

Please check the game log. Count the number of fly balls Cueto gave up. He only gave up four fly balls. For the day, his balls were: 15.8 LD%, 63.2 GB%, 21.1 FB%. The wind had very little impact on Cueto's day, especially since three of the fly balls were considered fliners (line drive/fly ball mix), meaning three of the fly balls were effected minimally by the wind. The guy pitched very well, and it wasn't because of the wind blowing in. Also, the Cubs have the #7 wOBA in the National League. That's close to middle of the pack, so it's not like he was feasting on the lowly Padres.

Great Post... you went Stat heavy! Will hate to lose you to the ORG but thanks for posting that info!

:beerme:

brm7675
05-09-2011, 02:00 PM

Please check the game log. Count the number of fly balls Cueto gave up. He only gave up four fly balls. For the day, his batted balls in play were: 15.8 LD%, 63.2 GB%, 21.1 FB%, for a .263 BABIP. The wind had very little impact on Cueto's day, especially since three of the fly balls were considered fliners (line drive/fly ball mix), meaning three of the fly balls were effected minimally by the wind. The guy pitched very well, and it wasn't because of the wind blowing in. Also, the Cubs have the #7 wOBA in the National League. That's close to middle of the pack, so it's not like he was feasting on the lowly Padres.

If you don't think the wind blowing in didn't effect what he threw then that is fine. Again i hope he goes out and dominates, but I want more proof and this coming's Sat game in a homer friendly park against the Cards will be a good test for him. He also needs to work on pitch count and get more then 6 innings.