PDA

View Full Version : Jose Arredondo takes who spot?

brm7675
05-10-2011, 04:45 PM
He is out of rehab time so the Reds have to call him up....so who goes to Louisville?

The DARK
05-10-2011, 05:30 PM
He is out of rehab time so the Reds have to call him up....so who goes to Louisville?

Either Lecure/Leake gets sent down and starts, or Arredondo gets a DFA. There's simply no more room in the bullpen. Smith deserves to be there. Burton would be if he weren't injured, and Maloney is good enough for a longman role as well. If the Reds make any trades during this season, now would be a good time to clear out the reliever logjam.

brm7675
05-10-2011, 05:39 PM
Either Lecure/Leake gets sent down and starts, or Arredondo gets a DFA. There's simply no more room in the bullpen. Smith deserves to be there. Burton would be if he weren't injured, and Maloney is good enough for a longman role as well. If the Reds make any trades during this season, now would be a good time to clear out the reliever logjam.

DFA is not an option, you invested a full year in this kid, you have to see what kind of return you can get with him. Smart move is Leake to AAA to move into rotation.

The DARK
05-10-2011, 06:43 PM
If Dusty is serious about keeping Leake in the majors though, then it has to be Lecure. No one else is replaceable. Cordero and Masset, struggle as they may, are essential. Ondrusek is reliable and puts in serious work. Bray has been dominant and is a lefty. Chapman is Chapman, unless the recent lack of playing time means he's headed to the DL or back to Louisville to start.

mroby85
05-10-2011, 07:31 PM
If Dusty is serious about keeping Leake in the majors though, then it has to be Lecure. No one else is replaceable. Cordero and Masset, struggle as they may, are essential. Ondrusek is reliable and puts in serious work. Bray has been dominant and is a lefty. Chapman is Chapman, unless the recent lack of playing time means he's headed to the DL or back to Louisville to start.

I would definitely go with Leake, I think it would be more beneficial to have him in the starting rotation in the minors anyway so he is still stretched out if they end up needing a starter. Lecure has done a really nice job out of the pen, and that is more of his final destination, opposed to Leake who is better fitted to be a starter eventually.

signalhome
05-10-2011, 09:50 PM

Not sure I agree with this. Smith's ERA is 5.29 on the year. His 4.40 FIP isn't absolutely awful, but it's far from good. He doesn't strike out many batters, and his BB/9 isn't good enough to offset the awful K/9. He's been a bit unlucky on the year with a .382 BABIP (though he's giving up line drives at a 23.2% rate, so maybe it doesn't have a lot to do with luck), however, which has accounted for his ERA being almost a full point higher than his FIP.

LetsGoReds11
05-10-2011, 10:23 PM
Arredondo will almost have to come up. Why let him work his way all the way back from TJ and this latest injury and not give him a chance? There is no reason why Leake should still be up here. He needs to stay sharp and the only way to do that is sending him to Louisville to start. Having 2 long men in the bullpen makes absolutely no sense. Lecure has shown he can come into the game out of the bullpen and get the job done. It does Leake no benefit to stay in the bullpen.

cbowen2112
05-10-2011, 10:37 PM
Arredondo will almost have to come up. Why let him work his way all the way back from TJ and this latest injury and not give him a chance? There is no reason why Leake should still be up here. He needs to stay sharp and the only way to do that is sending him to Louisville to start. Having 2 long men in the bullpen makes absolutely no sense. Lecure has shown he can come into the game out of the bullpen and get the job done. It does Leake no benefit to stay in the bullpen.

Send down Leake for sure. He needs to be the true 6th starter. I know he has never been there, but it will be good for him. We are just loaded with pitching talent. Remember 3 years ago? Wow, what a turn around!

HUHUH
05-10-2011, 10:52 PM
Just watched Chapman face 4, walk 3 and hit 1. He probably needs to go down.

webbbj
05-10-2011, 11:27 PM
Just watched Chapman face 4, walk 3 and hit 1. He probably needs to go down.

agree. It could take time for him to learn how to be a starter why delay that. If its going to happen just do it.

cbowen2112
05-10-2011, 11:37 PM
Send down Chapman and Leake. Bring up Arredondo and Willis.

nux fan
05-10-2011, 11:50 PM
chapman cant help the major league club since he cant throw strikes

Old NDN
05-11-2011, 12:26 AM
Chapman and Volquez down, Willis and Arredondo up. Not sure they're the answer, but its a message that needs to be sent. The Reds have to find SOMEBODY who can throw strikes more consistently.

Pony Boy
05-11-2011, 01:22 AM
Does Volquez have options?

tkemmerer14
05-11-2011, 02:06 AM
Chapman and Volquez down, Willis and Arredondo up. Not sure they're the answer, but its a message that needs to be sent. The Reds have to find SOMEBODY who can throw strikes more consistently.

willis has been pretty bad his last two starts. as soon as he has a bad game RedsZone will be flooded with "Send Willis back Down!" posts. I agree Chapman needs time to develop as a starter

BEETTLEBUG
05-11-2011, 06:01 AM
I think it will be Lecure

Vottomatic
05-11-2011, 06:40 AM
What good is throwing 98 to 105 mph if you can't throw strikes. It seems obvious that Chapman needs to be sent down. He is hurting this team right now. Sure, they had a comfortable 7-0 lead before he gave up 3..........but what about when we REALLY NEED HIM?

Need Arredondo up here soon. Cards series looms. The book is out on Chapman. Just keep the bat on your shoulder and take a walk because he doesn't throw strikes.

Send Chapman down. It will be really stupid if they don't.

DaytonFlyer
05-11-2011, 08:37 AM
I didn't think they would send Chapman down, and I still don't think they will, but now I think they should after seeing his last couple of outings. He needs to develop a 3rd pitch and/or better control. Maybe he will end up getting DL'd with lingering effects from that forearm issue, whether or not it is still an issue.

swaisuc
05-11-2011, 11:08 AM
Is there anyone you guys wouldn't send down after 3 bad innings? He was arguably the best reliever in the majors the first month of the season and you're already putting him in AAA.

That would be craziness and the Reds don't overreact that badly pretty much ever.

davrix
05-11-2011, 12:12 PM
Is there anyone you guys wouldn't send down after 3 bad innings? He was arguably the best reliever in the majors the first month of the season and you're already putting him in AAA.

That would be craziness and the Reds don't overreact that badly pretty much ever.

But if he cannot go multiple days in a row, he cannot be a reliever. If the plan is to make him a starter, then he should go down and start becoming a starter.

brm7675
05-11-2011, 12:41 PM

Did you watch last night's game? The boy can't even come close to the plate, he needs to go down work through some things, address a number of issues at AAA. right now the Reds can not trust him even in games where they lead by 7.

swaisuc
05-11-2011, 01:28 PM
Did you watch last night's game? The boy can't even come close to the plate, he needs to go down work through some things, address a number of issues at AAA. right now the Reds can not trust him even in games where they lead by 7.

I did and he was awful last night. I have also seen Votto, Phillips, and everyone else on this roster have horrible games this season. What is your point?

I'm pretty sure the Reds trust him just fine in games where they lead by 7, but I'm growing used to those kinds of statements on this board.

swaisuc
05-11-2011, 01:38 PM
But if he cannot go multiple days in a row, he cannot be a reliever. If the plan is to make him a starter, then he should go down and start becoming a starter.

I agree, but the evidence certainly doesn't point to that.

No rest
4 IP ERA 0.00 WHIP 1.75

1 or more days rest
8.2 IP ERA 6.23 WHIP 1.73

They need to stick with the plan and I'm pretty sure they will.

tkemmerer14
05-11-2011, 01:47 PM
While there are a lot of overreactions on this board, this is not one of them. He definitely needs work on finding the strike zone and work on being a starter. If things as a starter don't work, it's easier to move him back to the pen than to move him from the pen to a starter's role. Our bullpen is very solid with or without him, so if we can win without him and get him prepped to start, why not?

Vottomatic
05-12-2011, 05:39 PM
Rumors:

Leake and Volquez to be sent down.

Rolen, Francisco, and Arredondo to be activated.

Valaika sent down.

davereds24
05-12-2011, 05:45 PM
rumors from who? you come up with those while making dinner?

they aren't going to send down the long man and a starter to bring back a guy who's coming off arm troubles.

brm7675
05-12-2011, 05:46 PM
Rumors:

Leake and Volquez to be sent down.

Rolen, Francisco, and Arredondo to be activated.

Valaika sent down.

If Leake and Volquez both go down, who is your 5 starter? With the upcoming run of 20 straight games they can't go with a 4 man roation and I can't see them chosing LeCure over Leake to be the 5 guy.

Vottomatic
05-12-2011, 06:20 PM
If Leake and Volquez both go down, who is your 5 starter? With the upcoming run of 20 straight games they can't go with a 4 man roation and I can't see them chosing LeCure over Leake to be the 5 guy.

You are correct sir. I heard it wrong.

Leake becomes 5th starter.

Volquez (starter) goes down.
Chapman (reliever) goes down.
Valaika goes down.

Rolen, Francisco, and Arredondo activated.

We shall see what happens.

webbbj
05-12-2011, 06:44 PM

Valaika goes down.

if this is true is rolen playing 2mrrow?

brm7675
05-12-2011, 07:02 PM

Valaika goes down.

If both Chapman and EV go down I would have a heart attack. The Reds are not that smart, they don't do what you should do. My bet is that it is Leake and Valieka who go down and Rolen and Arredondo who get called up. they will leave Fransciso in AAA.

Kiss the Baby00
05-12-2011, 09:29 PM
If both Chapman and EV go down I would have a heart attack. The Reds are not that smart, they don't do what you should do. My bet is that it is Leake and Valieka who go down and Rolen and Arredondo who get called up. they will leave Fransciso in AAA.

0.0000000% chance Francisco stays in AAA

brm7675
05-13-2011, 11:44 AM
0.0000000% chance Francisco stays in AAA

why? he brings nothing to the major league team at this point and anyone who has seen him at bat or in the field would know that.

ntorvik
05-13-2011, 12:06 PM
francisco doesn't belong in the majors right now, for sure. They should send Leake down, as much as I don't like not having him on the team, but Lecure fits better in the pen than Leake does. I just like Leake's stuff better than Lecure's, so that's more a personal thing.

brm7675
05-13-2011, 12:09 PM
francisco doesn't belong in the majors right now, for sure. They should send Leake down, as much as I don't like not having him on the team, but Lecure fits better in the pen than Leake does. I just like Leake's stuff better than Lecure's, so that's more a personal thing.

The reds would be better suited to do the following:

1. DFA Edgar
2. Go with Chris V. as your versitile backup at SS/2nd and even some 3rd
3. Send down EV
4. Send down Chapman
5. Bring up Arredondo and put in the pen
6. Put Leake back in the rotation
7. Leave Francisco at AAA

Kiss the Baby00
05-13-2011, 12:56 PM

1. DFA Edgar
2. Go with Chris V. as your versitile backup at SS/2nd and even some 3rd
3. Send down EV
4. Send down Chapman
5. Bring up Arredondo and put in the pen
6. Put Leake back in the rotation
7. Leave Francisco at AAA

glad you arent in charge. team would be in trouble

brm7675
05-13-2011, 01:03 PM
glad you arent in charge. team would be in trouble

how is that?

Kiss the Baby00
05-13-2011, 01:07 PM
how is that?

I think of the 10 things you proposed 8 or 9 of them are horrible ideas.

brm7675
05-13-2011, 01:11 PM
I think of the 10 things you proposed 8 or 9 of them are horrible ideas.

Okay which ones? You can't think keeping Edgar on the team over a better younger player is a good idea? You can't think that both EV and EC are capable of pitching right now on the ML level? Juan is not major league ready and that is easily seen. Leake as more then shown an ability to pitch on this level, he has nothing to gain from being in AAA.

Kiss the Baby00
05-13-2011, 01:17 PM

1. DFA Edgar- won't happen.
2. Go with Chris V. as your versitile backup at SS/2nd and even some 3rd- CV is going back down as soon as JFran is ready. It is clear you know nothing about JFran other than the 20 ABs you have seen of him.
3. Send down EV- Maybe, but I'd take EV > Leake in the rotation
4. Send down Chapman- only if it is to learn to be a starter. He was the best RP in the majors the first month of the season.
5. Bring up Arredondo and put in the pen- Yes, will be sending down Leake to make room for him.
6. Put Leake back in the rotation- No way
7. Leave Francisco at AAA- You want Leake to pitch in the Majors bc " he has nothing left to prove at AAA" JFran is the one with nothing left to prove in the minors. You are clearly very uninformed about Juan Francisco.

brm7675
05-13-2011, 01:27 PM

1. Jfran isn't ready for the major league level and needs everyday playing to improve his game. That won't happen in Cincy, so why ruin what potential he might have by having him in cincy. Chris V gives you so much more flexability and talent right now.

2. EV can't throw strikes, can't go long on innings. Both are things that need to be corrected on the AAA level, not the major league level.

3. I agree, EC should be in louisville honing his ability to be a starting pitcher. Having 1 good month means nothing, Nick Massett had 1 horrible month last year and look at his final numbers.

R_Webb18
05-14-2011, 12:23 AM
mike leake going down based on 700 wlw. thats what he heard