PDA

View Full Version : 3 mile line for a hamburger?

RBA
05-13-2011, 11:44 AM
I guess it wasn't a white castle. ;)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/12/in-n-out-burger-north-texas-expansion_n_861172.html

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/276950/thumbs/s-IN-N-OUT-large300.jpg

In-N-Out Burger (http://www.in-n-out.com/), the extremely popular and fanatically-followed California-based burger chain, has long remained a staple of the western United States.
But on Wednesday, May 11, history was made. The first two In-N-Out Burger restaurants east of Arizona opened up in Frisco and Allen, Texas.
The response has been overwhelming thus far. Many customers camped overnight in the parking lot on Tuesday, hoping to be the first to taste the legendary burger, while others waited for hours in the lengthy drive-thru line, which stretched over two miles during the lunchtime rush on Wednesday.

BuckeyeRed27
05-13-2011, 11:47 AM
If you've ever had it you'd understand.

A cheeseburger animal style with animal style fries and a shake might be the greatest meal ever.

paintmered
05-13-2011, 12:05 PM
In-n-Out is good. It isn't that good.

RBA
05-13-2011, 12:09 PM
In-n-Out is good. It isn't that good.

I agree. However, some people go nuts over them.

And they opened a 5 Guys, a couple year ago on North Island, Coronado. Overpriced and long waits. Ok burger, just not the best.

klw
05-13-2011, 12:12 PM
When Krispy Kreme opened in Rhode Island a few years ago, I think it was its first NE location and the lines and traffic in that area became horrific. It quickly petered out and the store was shut within 2 years, if not shorter than that. I regularly ran into spots where the lines to get into a Dunkin Donut were out onto a road and blocking my commute, even though Dunkin' was/is on just about every block there.

Johnny Footstool
05-13-2011, 12:47 PM
Any burger that does not contain ground brisket, kobe beef, or rib meat does not warrant a wait longer than one hour. Unless it's the only burger joint within an hour's drive...

Oxilon
05-13-2011, 01:52 PM
Don't understand all the hype around fast food burgers. They all leave you feeling bloated and lethargic afterwards. Just give me a charcoal grill and a pound of lean ground beef and I'll cook myself a real hamburger.

BuckeyeRed27
05-13-2011, 02:10 PM
Don't understand all the hype around fast food burgers. They all leave you feeling bloated and lethargic afterwards. Just give me a charcoal grill and a pound of lean ground beef and I'll cook myself a real hamburger.

In and Out doesn't taste like any fast food hamburger. Trust me.

westofyou
05-13-2011, 02:19 PM
If a teenager (in a box of a building,an exit off the freeway) hands me a burger through a window and they are wearing a uniform with a logo on it then I'm lead to believe I'm eating fast food.

No matter how it tastes.

BuckeyeRed27
05-13-2011, 02:29 PM
If a teenager (in a box of a building,an exit off the freeway) hands me a burger through a window and they are wearing a uniform with a logo on it then I'm lead to believe I'm eating fast food.

No matter how it tastes.

I didn't say it wasn't fast food. I said it doesn't taste like fast food.

In and Out has a very fresh taste to it. I believe part of the reason they have resisted expansion is because they don't want to risk quality by using different suppliers and farms.

westofyou
05-13-2011, 02:48 PM
I didn't say it wasn't fast food. I said it doesn't taste like fast food.

In and Out has a very fresh taste to it. I believe part of the reason they have resisted expansion is because they don't want to risk quality by using different suppliers and farms.

They also cook on order IIRC, so they aren't staging your food while you sit in traffic

mole44
05-13-2011, 02:55 PM
Those are some good burgers, Dude.

05-13-2011, 03:04 PM
If you've ever had it you'd understand.

A cheeseburger animal style with animal style fries and a shake might be the greatest meal ever.

Just for the record, animal style means covered in cheese, grilled onions and thousand island dressing.

It takes all my will power not to have that every day.

I have vegetarian friends who order their animal style grilled cheese (same but without the burger), and healthier friends who order their burger protein style, in which it is wrapped in a huge lettuce leaf instead of a bun.

NoCalRed
05-13-2011, 06:52 PM
They also cook on order IIRC, so they aren't staging your food while you sit in traffic

That's correct which is why I believe they do have a decent burger. The fries on the other hand are awful.

They just opened the third one in the county I live in which is the farthest north I have ever seen them.

Redhook
05-13-2011, 09:50 PM
Great fast-food burgers. Once went through a drive-thru in a limo at an In-n-Out in Vegas. Good times.

Unassisted
05-17-2011, 03:51 PM
There are scores if people here in San Antonio clamoring for In-n-Out to come to town... lots of California transplants here. From what they tell me, if San Antonio had this and Trader Joe's, it would be just about perfect. ;)

Roy Tucker
05-17-2011, 04:01 PM
I've had In-n-Out burgers and they are very good for that genre of burger.

But there are tons of places that fix a good burger (the best being the Roy grill, I make a mean burger). And it would have to be the second-coming-of-Jesus burger for me to wait in a 3 mile line for one.

RFS62
05-17-2011, 05:09 PM
I prefer Fat Burger, the king of California burger joints.

KronoRed
05-17-2011, 05:13 PM
Unless it's been days since you ate, waiting in a 3 mile line for any food is wonky.

...cept a nice cool bottle of dole apple juice.

Mutaman
05-17-2011, 05:13 PM
Didn't Donny tell Walter those were good burgers?

mole44
05-18-2011, 08:35 AM
I am the Walrus

westofyou
05-18-2011, 09:23 AM
Tommys #5

Razor Shines
05-18-2011, 10:49 AM
I am the Walrus

:laugh: In complete honesty, I have not been able to stop chuckling about this post for 5+ mins.

Ghosts of 1990
05-28-2011, 11:43 AM
Is the cattle even grain fed?

WVRed
05-28-2011, 11:49 AM
I had Five Guys in Ashland KY when it first opened. First time I had ever tried it and while it was really good, definitely pricey.

Chick Fil A does free sandwiches for a year and people camp out for that.

RiverRat13
05-28-2011, 03:13 PM
Culver's is vastly underrated.

BoydsOfSummer
05-28-2011, 06:19 PM
I believe the best burger I ever had was at the Brazenhead over in Mason. Maybe it was the company, the brew and atmosphere, but dang it was good. Also had the Five Guys burger over there and failed to realize the hype.

guttle11
05-28-2011, 06:43 PM
I'm sure In and Out is great, everyone I hear from raves. But that store will still be around next week. If the line's out of the parking lot, I can settle for a Wendy's and try again next time.

That's what I did when Five Guy's opened. Great burger, IMO, but I wasn't fighting that crowd. I "settled" for Chick-Fil-A up the street the first couple of weeks.

Caseyfan21
05-29-2011, 10:18 AM
In-n-Out is great for a fast food hamburger. I lived in Phoenix, AZ for a summer and probably ate there once a week. But any drive thru line out the parking lot just isn't worth it.

Johnny Footstool
05-29-2011, 09:45 PM

Wafer-thin burgers are not my particular taste. Winstead's here in Kansas City does the same thing, and a certain percentage of the locals swear by it. To me, it looks and tastes like the kind of thing you scrape out of the pan after you cook a burger. But it's personal taste.

Raisor
05-30-2011, 09:29 PM
I love both Five Guys and Whataburger. Never had a In and Out though.

dabvu2498
05-31-2011, 09:04 AM
Burger Wagon -- Miamisburg, Ohio. Must have.

remdog
05-31-2011, 11:59 AM

I'll second that. Hopefully they will survive their financial problems. I'd go over to the mall right now to get one but the franchise in Orange County filed a BK and that unit is being replaced by, IIRC, Five Guys.

When Magic Johnson was involved with Fat Burger they expanded aggressively. Not sure what happened there but Magic doesn't seem to be in the picture at this point and their marketing has fallen off quite a bit.

Rem

DocRed
06-03-2011, 10:07 AM
I lived in California for 6 years and I could never get it. Decent burgers but that's about it....

Yachtzee
06-05-2011, 11:50 PM
Personally, I don't think anything can beat a cheeseburger from Swenson's Drive In, a chain in the Greater Akron area. Not too long ago, Food Network came around to do a show on Swenson's vs. Skyway (the two Akron area drive-in chains). Swenson's was definitely the winner. It's definitely a unique, yet tasty burger.

BEETTLEBUG
06-06-2011, 02:10 AM
I heard Burger Wagon in the Burg is too Greasy so those are not for me.

GAC
06-06-2011, 05:22 AM
http://www.theawl.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/wimpy.jpg

VR
06-08-2011, 01:32 AM

Butter burgers. The perfect combination.

Each patty starts with a tablespoon of butter on the grill, followed by freshly ground beef smashed down on it. The doubles or triples are pure heaven.

You then finish it with a custard milkshake.

Heaven is real people. And you can have a taste of it at Culver's.

In n' out.......a close second.

fearofpopvol1
06-08-2011, 03:34 PM
In n Out is great because not only does it taste good, but the price isn't ridiculous.

If money weren't an issue though and for a similar burger, I'd go with the Shake Shack (a NYC staple). I think it's even better.

Raisor
06-13-2011, 12:35 PM
Let's not forget MadeRite in Greenville OH.

*BaseClogger*
06-13-2011, 03:18 PM
Is that the same as the MadeRite that opened in Oxford and then closed less than a year later?