PDA

View Full Version : Why Double Switch?

GOBCU33
05-14-2011, 11:52 AM
Dusty seems to be a big fan of the double switch and in most cases it is effective, namely to get Gomes out of the game for a defensive replacement... but last nights double switch had me shaking my head...

It was in the top of the 7th i believe, Dusty put Heisey in for Lewis in left, putting Heisey in the 9 hole so he led off the next inning, and taking Lewis out of the game moving the pitchers spot in the order to #7

We all knew Leake was not going to pitch the 8th, so why double switch at all and leave Lewis in the game?
Why not just pinch hit Heisey for Leake in the bottom half of the inning, leaving Lewis in LF for the top half?

What ended up happening was that the Reds batted around to the pitchers spot, having to pinch hit with Cairo instead of having Lewis there in the first place. All it did was waste another bench player, and in an extra inning game, could have really hurt as at one point.

davereds24
05-14-2011, 12:31 PM
Leake was going to pitch the 8th and probably the ninth if they had remained a couple runs down.

signalhome
05-14-2011, 01:28 PM
Leake was going to pitch the 8th and probably the ninth if they had remained a couple runs down.

I would much rather Lewis remain in the #7 hole than to have Leake pitch two innings.

Who Dey Time
05-14-2011, 01:32 PM
I would much rather Lewis remain in the #7 hole than to have Leake pitch two innings.

Can't think of it like that, IMO. The Reds don't have another off day until June 2 and you need to keep the bullpen as fresh as possible. LeCure wasn't an option last night so you needed someone to eat innings, especially since the team was down at that point. You have options off the bench.....use them and try to keep the arms as fresh as possible.

The DARK
05-14-2011, 03:29 PM
Can't think of it like that, IMO. The Reds don't have another off day until June 2 and you need to keep the bullpen as fresh as possible. LeCure wasn't an option last night so you needed someone to eat innings, especially since the team was down at that point. You have options off the bench.....use them and try to keep the arms as fresh as possible.

That's probably one of the reasons that Arredondo wasn't called up until now as well. If Chapman is struggling and isn't going to be used until his mechanical issue is fixed, that gives you only 6 relievers to work with over a long haul. If you're the manager, you want to get as many innings as you can out of Leake before he's sent down.