PDA

View Full Version : 700 WLW Contest, Poor Taste?

Seņor Rojo
05-14-2011, 03:15 PM
Here's a post regarding a contest that The Big One has been airing at the expense of Tony LaRussa. It's a clever pun, but done in poor taste in my opinion. As listeners know, 700 isn't afraid of offending anyone, so I'm sure this was a calculated message. Things like these are sure to increase the budding rivalry between the Reds and the Cards. Thoughts?

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/sports/2011/05/13/is-700-wlw-contest-in-poor-taste/

Who Dey Time
05-14-2011, 03:19 PM
Here's a post regarding a contest that The Big One has been airing at the expense of Tony LaRussa. It's a clever pun, but done in poor taste in my opinion. As listeners know, 700 isn't afraid of offending anyone, so I'm sure this was a calculated message. Things like these are sure to increase the budding rivalry between the Reds and the Cards. Thoughts?

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/sports/2011/05/13/is-700-wlw-contest-in-poor-taste/

I can't stand TLR but to make light of his medical condition is BS and a classless move by 700WLW.

I'm all for poking fun and having a spiritied rivalry with these clowns, but this is over the line. Good for the Reds for not condoning that crap.

lidspinner
05-14-2011, 03:31 PM
I think its funny as all get out....shingles, in 99% of all cases will not kill you...its not like they are making fun of him for cancer, or some disease like gambling....or his addiction to hookers....for cripes sake they are making fun of the man and giving away roof shingles...I call it silly and funny....count me as loving the move....I bet youd take those shingles in a minute if you needed a new roof.

Who Dey Time
05-14-2011, 03:34 PM
I think its funny as all get out....shingles, in 99% of all cases will not kill you...its not like they are making fun of him for cancer, or some disease like gambling....or his addiction to hookers....for cripes sake they are making fun of the man and giving away roof shingles...I call it silly and funny....count me as loving the move....I bet youd take those shingles in a minute if you needed a new roof.

Fine. Then it would be perfectly peachy for the Cardinals to make light of Joey Votto's depression right? After all, 99% of the time it won't kill him. Maybe the Cardinals can team with Kleenex or something and give away tissues.

The DARK
05-14-2011, 03:45 PM
It feels like very poor taste to me. It's one thing to make fun of stupid injuries or decisions by players; it's another to make fun of a 66 year old's illness, even if it is a rival.

bengalsown
05-14-2011, 03:53 PM
They're not even making fun of LaRussa. It's not like they said

"Tony LaRussa has shingles, and couldn't make it to the game today. In honor of Tony LaRussa, we are giving away free boxes of tampons."

BluegrassRedleg
05-14-2011, 06:58 PM
Yes. I thought the same thing when I heard it yesterday. My dad has suffered through shingles, and it can be debilitating.

I think TLR is an arrogant manager, and I love to root against the guy when we're between the lines, but nobody should EVER make jokes about a person's health. Poor taste, and I would hope Reds fans would let WLW know about it so it never happens again.

BluegrassRedleg
05-14-2011, 06:59 PM
Fine. Then it would be perfectly peachy for the Cardinals to make light of Joey Votto's depression right? After all, 99% of the time it won't kill him. Maybe the Cardinals can team with Kleenex or something and give away tissues.

This isn't the 4th grade playground. Tit-for-tat doesn't make it right.

DocRed
05-14-2011, 07:08 PM
Honestly.....I am not a PC guy and I hate PC..but this is a terrible idea and the person who approved this should be fired.

Oh and BTW I would never, EVER....give a cent to Ray St. Clair Roofing and encourage everyone else to do so as well.

justincredible
05-14-2011, 07:56 PM
Honestly.....I am not a PC guy and I hate PC..but this is a terrible idea and the person who approved this should be fired.

Oh and BTW I would never, EVER....give a cent to Ray St. Clair Roofing and encourage everyone else to do so as well.

Because of this or a past experience? If the latter, do share why...

justincredible
05-14-2011, 07:59 PM
As for the contest, I'm pretty indifferent on it. Doesn't bother me but I don't particularly find it that funny.

Now, if they were running a contest making fun of his DUI arrest it would've been great, if not a little outdated.

aldotcs
05-14-2011, 08:00 PM

Exactly. Just because the St Louis fans have no class (the Leake shirts) doesn't mean we have to stoop to their level. It was wonderful to hear that the organization put the kibosh on that.

Who Dey Time
05-14-2011, 08:16 PM

Exactly my point which is why this whole idea should have been axed from the get go.

lidspinner
05-15-2011, 02:48 PM

I am not sure it would make me so mad as to post about it....or so mad that I would not want to spend money at a business who sponsors it, or not listen to a certain radio station because of it......TLR has shingles, Joey was depressed...I just dont see the big deal about either....These guys make their living, and a dam good one at that, by being in the national spotlight...so nothing is private when your the coach of the cards or the 1st baseman of the Reds and MVP....

how many of you would laugh at TLR if he had gotten syphilis from a hooker? should we feel bad for the guy or make fun of him? I m making fun of him cause he wasnt smart enough to wrap it up......The shingles is a little different, he could not have helped it but it still does not mean we should not make light of it.

Chillax

BurgervilleBuck
05-15-2011, 03:27 PM

You've never had shingles, have you? Well, I had them when I was 20 and, take it from me, it's a painful, painful condition. I'm all for making fun of TLR for stupid things like drunk driving but I think a person's health is off limits.

Do you make fun of cancer patients who lose their hair to chemo, too?

Wiggidy
05-15-2011, 04:45 PM
I think it's funny. If I had shingles and was in the same position as Larussa I would probably laugh. No need to be so serious.

BurgervilleBuck
05-15-2011, 05:04 PM
I think it's funny. If I had shingles and was in the same position as Larussa I would probably laugh. No need to be so serious.
Please, let us know when you develop shingles so that we can make jokes about you.

SidneySlicker
05-15-2011, 05:27 PM
Well, 700 has proven in the past they are not above low blows in their talk of Ohio State. (No punn intended) So while not surprising, it is disappointing.