PDA

View Full Version : Time to extend Brandon Phillips

Pony Boy
05-17-2011, 11:10 PM
I assume that picking up his $12 million option for 2012 is no-brainer at this point, but I would love to extend him for a few more years. We will miss him if he moves on.

webbbj
05-17-2011, 11:13 PM
yea they need to this is a perennial all star

10xWSChamps
05-17-2011, 11:58 PM
Finding his value in an extension would be tricky. The Reds would probably be smart to wait and see what happens next year. He'll be turning 31 during next season and he's having a career year right now. While something like 5 years 65 million may look good at this point I'm not so sure it would look like a good contract in 3 years time.

Jocketty has always been willing to reward players on his own team by over-paying them a bit, so I also wouldn't be surprised to see him give Phillips an extension before next season begins

Probably depends on what the Reds financial situation is like. Can they afford to "risk" overpaying him in his mid-30s? Or risk that his career year is 2011? It's also a risk that you dont extend him this off season, he has a great year next year and prices the Reds out of the market or forces them to pay him even more and maybe pay him til he's 36 or 37 years old.

In this situation I don't envy Jocketty. He doesn't mind overpaying people who are doing well on his team. Although a more flexible payroll in St Louis certainly had something to do with that

arkimadee
05-18-2011, 12:20 AM
I would guess our attendance has been too poor to be able to pay for an extension and add payroll. I'd say he'll want 15 mil atleast per season

will5979
05-18-2011, 08:32 AM
I would guess our attendance has been too poor to be able to pay for an extension and add payroll. I'd say he'll want 15 mil atleast per season

Hey Reds fans, screw this recession, get off your lazy asses and get to the ballpark to support your team! I live 4 hours away in WV and somehow manage to make it out there at least once a month, sometimes I even get off work and drive out to watch the night games, drive back, then go to work the next day...in some sense it may be OUR OWN FAULTS if BP and Votto aren't Reds in 3 seasons.

RedLegsToday
05-18-2011, 09:14 AM
Hey Reds fans, screw this recession, get off your lazy asses and get to the ballpark to support your team! I live 4 hours away in WV and somehow manage to make it out there at least once a month, sometimes I even get off work and drive out to watch the night games, drive back, then go to work the next day...in some sense it may be OUR OWN FAULTS if BP and Votto aren't Reds in 3 seasons.

Yes! How can you all not want to go to games in 40 degree, rainy weather?! So much better to be at the game, than watching it in your dry home on your 46-inch hi-def TV!

SportsNut75
05-18-2011, 09:59 AM
I want BP as a Red for the rest of his career!

arkimadee
05-18-2011, 11:14 AM

Yes! How can you all not want to go to games in 40 degree, rainy weather?! So much better to be at the game, than watching it in your dry home on your 46-inch hi-def TV!
Weather has been a big factor but you don't see that excuse in Philly and St. Louis. Yes I know we are in a smaller market than those places but sometimes these 12,000 crowds embarrass me no matter what the weather is. On the positive, attendance is actually up over this time last year.

BruiserUD
05-18-2011, 01:59 PM
I agree that the Reds should extend BP. He has just been magical in the field this year. Maybe he will give the Reds a slight discount to lock him up because he sure seems to like play in/for Cincy. Hopefully Walt can use his top flight GM ability and get it done. I'd love to see BP retire a multiple gold glove winning Reds second baseman.

DStew88
05-18-2011, 02:38 PM
School is still in and the weather is a little bad. Once it warms up, and dries up for that matter, and school lets out, there will be bigger crowds.

Natty Redlocks
05-18-2011, 03:26 PM
I could see them giving him a backloaded extension like they did with Arroyo and Rolen, if he'd go for it. But if he keeps up the way he has been, picking up the option and putting off the decision is a no-brainer, IMO.

mckbearcat48
05-18-2011, 03:27 PM
Phillips is a great player at 2B. I think he'd be a priority to extend, if for no other reason than his production would be hard to replace.