PDA

View Full Version : Can enlarged hearts return to normal size?

cincrazy
05-18-2011, 01:16 PM
Was looking for a bit of medical advice... went in to the doctor today due to the flu, my heart rate was extremely high, so they ran an EKG and found that my heart has enlarged somewhat. My blood pressure has been high off and on the last three years, and it's something I've stupidly neglected, being of the belief that I'm young and invincible and the blood pressure was only stress related.

I have an ultrasound scheduled for Tuesday morning, hopefully that comes back ok. In the meantime, can an enlarged heart return to its normal size with exercise and the right medications? Anyone that has experienced something similar, I'd love to hear from you, even in this thread or through PM. Thanks a ton.

Jon

jojo
05-18-2011, 01:22 PM
Was looking for a bit of medical advice... went in to the doctor today due to the flu, my heart rate was extremely high, so they ran an EKG and found that my heart has enlarged somewhat. My blood pressure has been high off and on the last three years, and it's something I've stupidly neglected, being of the belief that I'm young and invincible and the blood pressure was only stress related.

I have an ultrasound scheduled for Tuesday morning, hopefully that comes back ok. In the meantime, can an enlarged heart return to its normal size with exercise and the right medications? Anyone that has experienced something similar, I'd love to hear from you, even in this thread or through PM. Thanks a ton.

Jon

Yes, enlargement of the heart can be reversed depending upon severity.

foxfire123
05-18-2011, 05:27 PM
And KNOCK OFF ignoring that blood pressure buster! Please, take care of yourself.

Sea Ray
05-18-2011, 07:25 PM
If it's mildly enlarged it absolutely can go back to normal if the cause is successfully treated. The heart is a muscle and as you likely know, muscles enlarge or atrophy based upon how hard it's used. I've gotten the impression that you're quite young so I think that bodes well for a full recovery. :thumbup:

Hoosier Red
05-18-2011, 11:53 PM
Is this the plot of How the Grinch Stole Christmas 2?

Seriously, good luck.

Ghosts of 1990
05-19-2011, 02:26 PM
Good luck man

cincrazy
05-21-2011, 07:36 PM
Thanks guys. I feel pretty good, I've been exercising and such, get no shortness of breath or pain, so I thnk everything is ok. I just need to take my blood pressure medicine and continue working out.

I had the EKG done on Wednesday, and this coming Tuesday they're going to do a heart ultrasound. What can the ultrasound show that the EKG can't? My doctor told me that the ultrasound was more or less precautionary. But if there was a problem with the valve or another serious issue, wouldn't the EKG normally pick up on that?

Regardless, hopefully I find out soon that nothing else but the enlargement is wrong.

Larkin Fan
05-22-2011, 12:31 AM
An ultrasound of the heart (otherwise known as an echocardiogram) allows for functional images of your heart to be obtained. It can be used to diagnose many conditions such as a faulty heart valve, etc., but in your case, it will be able to give your doctor information about the size of your heart.

On the other hand, an EKG (otherwise known as an electrocardiogram) only gives your doctor information about the electrical activity of your heart. Beyond information about the electrical activity of the heart, an EKG tells doctors very little. It can't be used to diagnose structural issues with the heart, such as a valve issue, etc. That's why use of the echocardiogram is essential because it can diagnose those issues.

Good luck to you!

cincrazy
05-24-2011, 11:45 AM
Heart ultrasound looks fine, according to my ultrasound tech. She said according to her measurements my heart isn't even enlarged. Good news :).

oneupper
05-24-2011, 04:36 PM
Heart ultrasound looks fine, according to my ultrasound tech. She said according to her measurements my heart isn't even enlarged. Good news :).

Great. But keep working out anyway!

Sea Ray
05-25-2011, 02:31 PM

It shrank? Are you going to become the Grinch?

Cool. Sounds like much ado about nothing

Mario-Rijo
05-25-2011, 09:50 PM

Great News CC, now let's keep a good eye on that Blood Pressure! Sometimes High BP is just a result of high sodium intake, if you cut back on the salt here and there it may help a lot.

cincrazy
05-26-2011, 10:44 PM
It shrank? Are you going to become the Grinch?

Cool. Sounds like much ado about nothing

First off, thanks for the comments guys, appreciate it :).

Secondly, not sure if it shrank, haha. The ultrasound tech asked me who performed my EKG, because she didn't show a heart enlargement via her measurements. So, the news is good. However, it's a scary wake up call. I've been exercising daily and trying to eat better, I wanna be around a while!

cincrazy
06-02-2011, 02:53 AM
So, the heart is fine. However, my doctor gave me Zoloft to take, started me off at 100 mg. Took the pill for the first time earlier tonight after prodding from her... and I've never been so sick in my life. She told me it would help my blood pressure, but there's no way I'm staying on this medicine, I don't think she knows what she's talking about. I took one pill, and I've had severe stomach discomfort, diarrhea, throwing up, insomnia, dizziness, dry mouth, etc. I know if I call her tomorrow she'll tell me to stick it out, but I think I'm going to get a second opinion. I know everyone probably responds differently to the medicine, and she told me it's caused stomach discomfort in some patients. But this is unbearable.

Sea Ray
06-05-2011, 12:01 PM
So, the heart is fine. However, my doctor gave me Zoloft to take, started me off at 100 mg. Took the pill for the first time earlier tonight after prodding from her... and I've never been so sick in my life. She told me it would help my blood pressure, but there's no way I'm staying on this medicine, I don't think she knows what she's talking about. I took one pill, and I've had severe stomach discomfort, diarrhea, throwing up, insomnia, dizziness, dry mouth, etc. I know if I call her tomorrow she'll tell me to stick it out, but I think I'm going to get a second opinion. I know everyone probably responds differently to the medicine, and she told me it's caused stomach discomfort in some patients. But this is unbearable.

So many times the treatment is worse than the disease. What is your blood pressure if you don't mind me asking? I'm trying to get an idea of how much it needs to be brought down. It seems to me that she's awfully quick to use meds. I'd try other things first like exercise and diet adjustments. You're a young guy. Is it really in your best interests to be on medication for the next 50 yrs?

I think your instincts should be heeded on this one

Larkin Fan
06-05-2011, 06:43 PM
Are you depressed? If not, you should definitely follow your instincts about getting a second opinion, since Zoloft is an antidepressant, not an antihypertensive...