PDA

View Full Version : Votto still a top 10 hitter, thankfully

ntorvik
05-21-2011, 11:11 AM
I've been watching this list, Votto has been in the top 10 all season, but this is the lowest I've seen him, I think.
http://www.upperdeckreport.com/news_article/show/90639?referrer_id=290721

Maker_84
05-21-2011, 11:21 AM
Votto has really sucked lately, but so has all our hitting. Not playing Gomes everyday will help some but this team needs another good bat in the lineup that only can be required through a trade

Vottomatic
05-21-2011, 05:51 PM
Joey's stats look good. But he doesn't seem to be coming up with those big hits like he did last year. He is sucking in rbi situations.

ntorvik
05-21-2011, 06:00 PM
I think it'll come for him, I think he's gotten his numbers pretty much by himself so far. Someone else needs to help him out! Bruce is FINALLY swinging like he is just playing the game, but now we aren't getting people on in front of him. Plus, Dusty sucks at managing the pitching staff...sucks...

vottofever19
05-21-2011, 10:10 PM
Votto has really sucked lately, but so has all our hitting. Not playing Gomes everyday will help some but this team needs another good bat in the lineup that only can be required through a trade

He's still batting over .330. I doubt he's sucking lately!

Magdal
05-21-2011, 10:54 PM
I responded to a post at the end of the game thread that complained about the Reds tanking after the sweep of the Cards....and I think it bears repeating here:

True, as it was for the Cards last year after their sweep of the Reds. But it was much later in the season when the Cards tanked. There is no reason the Reds can't stay in it and regain the lead.

But I will say this: the Reds need protection for Votto. It should be the #1 priority. You know who I am thinking of that would be cheap? Ryan Ludwick, now playing for S.D......he is having a bad year but is still leading them in HRs and RBI....he is about 33 yrs old (maybe older?) and does not fit in their picture in the long term.

They are going nowhere this year, or next. The Reds have good prospects in AAA. Make a deal Walt. We all know you covet ex Cards. And this one is not over the hill yet.

I can't tell you how many times I saw Ludwick hit a gapper after an IBB to Pujols. A move to a contender could get him back to that level.

Vottomatic
05-22-2011, 02:34 AM
I responded to a post at the end of the game thread that complained about the Reds tanking after the sweep of the Cards....and I think it bears repeating here:

True, as it was for the Cards last year after their sweep of the Reds. But it was much later in the season when the Cards tanked. There is no reason the Reds can't stay in it and regain the lead.

But I will say this: the Reds need protection for Votto. It should be the #1 priority. You know who I am thinking of that would be cheap? Ryan Ludwick, now playing for S.D......he is having a bad year but is still leading them in HRs and RBI....he is about 33 yrs old (maybe older?) and does not fit in their picture in the long term.

They are going nowhere this year, or next. The Reds have good prospects in AAA. Make a deal Walt. We all know you covet ex Cards. And this one is not over the hill yet.

I can't tell you how many times I saw Ludwick hit a gapper after an IBB to Pujols. A move to a contender could get him back to that level.

The guy they need and could have because the Mets want to unload his salary, is Beltran.

Problem is, Reds are small market and can't take his salary on.

Beltran is a switch hitter, with a solid reputation ala Holliday, who would add protection for Votto. Beltran is having a solid comeback season.

Magdal
05-22-2011, 06:25 PM
The guy they need and could have because the Mets want to unload his salary, is Beltran.

Problem is, Reds are small market and can't take his salary on.

Beltran is a switch hitter, with a solid reputation ala Holliday, who would add protection for Votto. Beltran is having a solid comeback season.

But as you said...he is TOO expensive concidering his up and down type career.