Jay Bruce RF
Scott Rolen 3B
Fred Lewis DH
Ramon Hernandez C
Paul Janish SS

Edinson Volquez P

kaldaniels
05-22-2011, 11:21 AM
The lineup is a winning one. Hopefully the guy on the mound does his part.

reds44
05-22-2011, 11:53 AM
Love the lineup.

Homer Bailey
05-22-2011, 12:18 PM
Good lineup, but with Volquez going, let's hope it doesn't go to waste.

GAC
05-22-2011, 01:01 PM
I was told by the baseball deity that if we could get 10 people in chat he'd guarantee us a win! :beerme:

cincyinco
05-22-2011, 01:02 PM
Reds need to pull out a W today.. praying Voltron finds his control...

GAC
05-22-2011, 01:04 PM
Reds need to pull out a W today.. praying Voltron finds his control...

He'll always does..........

after the 1st, and 4 runs later :mooner:

cincyinco
05-22-2011, 01:06 PM

Dusty should start using the Larussa Raingate move on days Volkie starts..

cincyinco
05-22-2011, 01:10 PM
Stubbs safe on a wide throw from the short stop

kaldaniels
05-22-2011, 01:12 PM
Off the HR-less schnide!

mth123
Joey finally

cincyinco
Stubbs caught running..

That was clearly a balk. Where Bob Davidson when you need him?

GAC
would have been nice if stubbs didn't get picked :rolleyes:

cincyinco
05-22-2011, 01:13 PM
I am obviously behind so someone else can do the play by play

kaldaniels
05-22-2011, 01:13 PM
BP is up right now...everyone synced up?

mth123
05-22-2011, 01:15 PM
would have been nice if stubbs didn't get picked :rolleyes:

Another example of why I hate the running game in front of the big hitters. Run at the bottom of the order where the hitters actually need the help to get the runner around, but don't risk removing runners in front of the big boys.

GAC
05-22-2011, 01:16 PM
Ears with a diving catch in LF to end inning

1-0 Reds with the Indians coming to bat

kaldaniels
05-22-2011, 01:20 PM
Whether he is wild or accurate, it is about impossible for EV to have a low pitch count...his stuff is that hard to hit.

kaldaniels
05-22-2011, 01:21 PM
Whether he is wild or accurate, it is about impossible for EV to have a low pitch count...his stuff is that hard to hit.

I meant his stuff is hit hard.

CTA513
05-22-2011, 01:22 PM
That lead didn't last long

2-1 Indians

05-22-2011, 01:22 PM
Another example of why I hate the running game in front of the big hitters. Run at the bottom of the order where the hitters actually need the help to get the runner around, but don't risk removing runners in front of the big boys.

The running game has hurt the Reds so far this season, but I have no problem with Stubbs being aggressive at all times. And if the umps did their job, Stubbs is at second base there. Carrasco clearly flinched.

05-22-2011, 01:23 PM
I hope Pete has the over for today's game. ;)

mth123
05-22-2011, 01:25 PM
The running game has hurt the Reds so far this season, but I have no problem with Stubbs being aggressive at all times. And if the umps did their job, Stubbs is at second base there. Carrasco clearly flinched.

I agree that Stubbs should be aggressive. He and Phillips should hit 5th or 6th.

Lewis/Heisey
Rolen
Votto
Bruce
Stubbs/Phillips
Phillips/Stubbs
Catcher
SS
Pitcher

WVRedsFan
05-22-2011, 01:25 PM
How long? How long will the Reds continue to put themselves in a hole in the first inning? Volquez simply is our fifth worst starter in that regard. It gets old pretty quick for me. Dusty must have the patience of Job.

kaldaniels
05-22-2011, 01:26 PM
Geez Welsh, don't pin yesterday's loss on Bailey.

Big Klu
05-22-2011, 01:27 PM
That lead didn't last long

2-1 Indians

Volquez in the first inning is as predictable as the sun rising in the east.

kaldaniels
05-22-2011, 01:29 PM
We are the Cubs!

Screwball
05-22-2011, 01:30 PM
What in the hell just happened?

CrackerJack
05-22-2011, 01:30 PM
Thanks Ramon for two high throws = 2 runs

WVRedsFan
05-22-2011, 01:31 PM
Great goodness. Why don't they just give the whole freaking series to the flipping Indians and shut down for the season. I've given up on this club doing anything this year. Where last year was perfect chemistry, this year is chemistry gone bad.

mth123
05-22-2011, 01:32 PM
Thanks Ramon for two high throws = 2 runs

Looks like he lost his release point. Ramon is supposed to be having an effect on Volquez, but it looks like its the other way around.

kbrake
05-22-2011, 01:32 PM
Great goodness. Why don't they just give the whole freaking series to the flipping Indians and shut down for the season. I've given up on this club doing anything this year. Where last year was perfect chemistry, this year is chemistry gone bad.

You get upset when people claim you're negative. You just gave up on the season on May 22nd. With the team in 2nd place. Just saying.

cincyinco
05-22-2011, 01:33 PM
Ooooooglay

Blitz Dorsey
Volquez has no clue what he's doing out there.

CTA513
Thank goodness the Cubs threw the ball around against the Reds or we would be looking at more than a 4 or 5 game losing streak.

Blitz Dorsey
05-22-2011, 01:35 PM
If I were the opposing manager, I would give all my hitters the take sign until they had a strike against Volquez. He's that bad.

*Missing Josh Hamilton*

Kc61
05-22-2011, 01:35 PM
Volquez should be removed from the rotation.

He hasn't been good since he came back from surgery.

He should go down to the minors and start getting his command back.

Reds must think they are the 1927 Yankees. They seem very reluctant to change things that aren't working.

CTA513
05-22-2011, 01:36 PM
LeCure and Smith will likely get work in with the way Volquez is throwing this inning.

Blitz Dorsey

Reds must think they are the 1927 Yankees. They seem very reluctant to change things that aren't working.

And you have to wonder how much of his '08 season was based on PED use. You know, considering he was busted for PED use by MLB in '09.

Screwball
Back to back walks to a couple of terrible hitters. Maddening.

WVRedsFan
05-22-2011, 01:38 PM
You get upset when people claim you're negative. You just gave up on the season on May 22nd. With the team in 2nd place. Just saying.You're right. That was an emotional remark that should not have been made. But I get so tired of watching the same old show from Volquez time after time after time. He puts this club in horrible situations every start and then has to depend on the offense to bail the club out. He also puts strain on the bullpen. And yet, Dusty and Price continue to roll him out there every fifth day. I think that the errors are players trying to reach to stop the runs and maybe have a chance to win the game, but regardless, as a long-time Reds fan, how can so much potential go wasted and how can those in charge not make corrections?

kbrake
And you have to wonder how much of his '08 season was based on PED use. You know, considering he was busted for PED use by MLB in '09.

Lots of guys use PED's to come back quicker from injury. Impossible to say since if he was using in 08 since he didn't get busted before 2009, you know?

OesterPoster
Not to make any excuses for Ramon's throws, but don't you think the guys behind Volquez press just a little on defense, knowing that he needs all the help he can get to erase baserunners, etc.? Add in the fact that it really sucks trying to stay on your toes on defense while the guy pitching doesn't have a clue how to throw strikes.

CTA513
Marson helps Volquez out and grounds out on the 1st pitch to end the inning.

Big Klu
05-22-2011, 01:39 PM
By my figuring, three of the four runs were earned. Is that right?

kaldaniels
05-22-2011, 01:39 PM
Reds hitting it hard.

WVRedsFan
05-22-2011, 01:40 PM
Back to back walks to a couple of terrible hitters. Maddening.36 pitches in the first inning. He may not make it three today. And yet it continues...

mth123
05-22-2011, 01:40 PM
Not to make any excuses for Ramon's throws, but don't you think the guys behind Volquez press just a little on defense, knowing that he needs all the help he can get to erase baserunners, etc.? Add in the fact that it really sucks trying to stay on your toes on defense while the guy pitching doesn't have a clue how to throw strikes.

I think there is something to this. Good defenders make errors. Ramon isn't as good as Hanigan on defense, but he isn't Javy back there either. It happens.

CTA513
05-22-2011, 01:41 PM
Those 3 walks last inning give Volquez 37 walks on the season.
Wood is the next highest with 17 followed by Arroyo with 14

WVRedsFan
05-22-2011, 01:41 PM
By my figuring, three of the four runs were earned. Is that right?ESPN says all 4 were earned. EV's ERA now at 6.02.

Even Eric Milton wasn't that bad...

Kc61
05-22-2011, 01:43 PM
Walt, this is what you get when you rest on your laurels. Classic small market mentality. We won a division last year so things will just naturally get better.

No top starter, no LF, no SS. Same guys at AAA with no significant additions from the farm.

Status quo, while other teams were trying to improve.

Big Klu
05-22-2011, 01:45 PM
ESPN says all 4 were earned. EV's ERA now at 6.02.

Even Eric Milton wasn't that bad...

OK, that sounds right. I missed a batter somewhere.

Like I said, as predictable as the sun rising in the east.

cincrazy
05-22-2011, 01:45 PM

You've really already given up on the season? I don't believe that. You can't get so high and low my friend. Let's not forget at the end of last August, the eventual world champion Giants were barely part of the NL West discussion before storming back and winning the division. Same thing with the Twins a few Septembers ago. It's a long season. This team can, and will, improve upon its current play. They're just entering a hellish stretch of the schedule that is going to expose all of their flaws. Flaws that were blatantly obvious, and have so far not been addressed.

kaldaniels
05-22-2011, 01:46 PM
Walt, this is what you get when you rest on your laurels. Classic small market mentality. We won a division last year so things will just naturally get better.

No top starter, no LF, no SS. Same guys at AAA with no significant additions from the farm.

Were you saying that a week ago today with the Reds 1.5 games in first? Post the link please. The Reds are really struggling. Volquez is pitching bad. This is baseball, things could flip 180 degrees in a week.

WVRedsFan

Status quo, while other teams were trying to improve.Exactly and coupled with depending on a starter just off TJ surgery who struggled last year and a kid from Cuba who hadn't proven anything. Gomes, as predicted, has been a liability, Janish morphed back to his norm at the plate, Renteria hasn't been good, and managerial decisions have been below par. No moves to improve might mean a long 2011.

CrackerJack

I'm not sure Dusty is capable and/or willing to start putting positions on the roster up for grabs and threatening zero tolerance with poor performance. It seems that is what they need possibly.

I'd start with LF, SS and EV's spot. Bring up anybody they can who wants to win a job.

Maybe I'm just being naive.

WVRedsFan
05-22-2011, 01:47 PM
You've really already given up on the season? I don't believe that. You can't get so high and low my friend. Let's not forget at the end of last August, the eventual world champion Giants were barely part of the NL West discussion before storming back and winning the division. Same thing with the Twins a few Septembers ago. It's a long season. This team can, and will, improve upon its current play. They're just entering a hellish stretch of the schedule that is going to expose all of their flaws. Flaws that were blatantly obvious, and have so far not been addressed.Of course not. Emotional statement based on the frustration of watching Dusty and Price march EV out every fifth day when everyone but them knows what is going to happen. Just frustrated, that's all.

mth123
05-22-2011, 01:48 PM
Were you saying that a week ago today with the Reds 1.5 games in first? Post the link please. The Reds are really struggling. Volquez is pitching bad. This is baseball, things could flip 180 degrees in a week.

Not to speak for KC, but he and a lot of others have been saying it since December. Calling him out for those criticisms is wrong IMO.

Reds/Flyers Fan
05-22-2011, 01:48 PM

This is exactly right.

This season felt like a punt on first down the day they resigned Johnny Gomes instead of legitimately trying to upgrade the virus in LF that continues to plague the offense.

Reds/Flyers Fan
05-22-2011, 01:49 PM

The Reds could improve, yes. But I think we've seen more than enough from Volquez and Gomes to know that they will not.

WVRedsFan
05-22-2011, 01:50 PM
Hernandez rushed that throw. He had to since EV had allowed that jump.

OldXOhio
05-22-2011, 01:50 PM

Agreed. Enough is enough.

kaldaniels
05-22-2011, 01:51 PM
The Reds could improve, yes. But I think we've seen more than enough from Volquez and Gomes to know that they will not.

If you want to say that Volquez and Gomes are liablities that need to be addressed I'm not gonna jump in.

But labeling Walt with a small market mentality and saying he thinks things will just naturally get better is when I jump in.

CTA513
05-22-2011, 01:52 PM
It looks like Volquez brought the gas can back out for the 2nd inning.

1st and 3rd with 0 outs after Choo singled in a run to make it 5-1

kaldaniels
05-22-2011, 01:52 PM
So seriously...predict the roster move that will be made in 24 hours.

WVRedsFan
05-22-2011, 01:53 PM
This is really disgusting. LeCure is up throwing in the second inning. Six hits and five runs in two innings. Wow.

BuckeyeRedleg
The Tribe playing ridiculously over their heads.

Getting all the calls. All the breaks.

I'll enjoy their regression when it happens.

This series and road trip cannot be over soon enough.

Screwball
Indians now up 5-1. Feels like it's about 10-1.

kaldaniels
The Tribe playing ridiculously over the heads.

I said on Friday and I will stand by it. I am bearish on them. Sell,sell,sell!

OldXOhio

I have no problem with how Walt handled the offseason. It's not even June yet and they're still 3 games over .500 with a loss today, so there's been no reason to panic. The team is still equipped to make a deal or two and I think by waiting, the FO has a clearer picture of exactly what this team's deficiencies are.

Have a little faith.

WVRedsFan
05-22-2011, 01:54 PM
So seriously...predict the roster move that will be made in 24 hours.Not going to happen. I doubt they'll even move EV out of the rotation.

OldXOhio

Move, as in singlular?

mth123
If you want to say that Volquez and Gomes are liablities that need to be addressed I'm not gonna jump in.

But labeling Walt with a small market mentality and saying he thinks things will just naturally get better is when I jump in.

Isn't that pretty much what Walt said though? IIRC his main points were limited budget and a lot of young players who should improve from within. I think he also referenced a return to health from EV as his plan for the top of the rotation.

BuckeyeRedleg
05-22-2011, 01:55 PM
I have no problem with how Walt handled the offseason. It's not even June yet and they're still 3 games over .500 with a loss today, so there's been no reason to panic. The team is still equipped to make a deal or two and I think by waiting, the FO has a clearer picture of exactly what this team's deficiencies are.

Have a little faith.

They will be lucky to be over .500 after this road trip. Especially the way they are playing right now.

Or maybe this is just more of random variance?

Either way, it's too nice of a day to waste it watching this garbage.

Reds/Flyers Fan
05-22-2011, 01:56 PM

Johnny Gomes will be the everyday starter starting tomorrow in Philly; Edinson Volquez will make his next start Friday night in Atlanta.

Rinse.

Repeat.

kaldaniels
05-22-2011, 01:56 PM
Isn't that pretty much what Walt said though? IIRC his main points were limited budget and a lot of young players who should improve from within. I think he also referenced a return to health from EV as his plan for the top of the rotation.

The Reds handed out a lot of money this offseason. I just think it is a bit unfair to especially label Walt with a small market mentality.

kaldaniels
05-22-2011, 01:57 PM
Johnny Gomes will be the everyday starter starting tomorrow in Philly; Edinson Volquez will make his next start Friday night in Atlanta.

Rinse.

Repeat.

A good possibility no doubt.

kaldaniels
05-22-2011, 01:57 PM
Volquez found the on switch.

oneupper
05-22-2011, 01:58 PM
Gomes will start tomorrow in LF. Hamels is slated to pitch. Normally, I'd like that move, now I'm not sure he can hit lefties anymore either. Too messed up in the head.

Big Klu

Jordan Smith sent down to Louisville. Dontrelle Willis called up and added to the bullpen. With Sam LeCure likely seeing significant action today, the Reds will need to add someone who can throw multiple innings in relief.

_Sir_Charles_

I'm not sure if this post was prophetic....or predictable.

OldXOhio
05-22-2011, 01:59 PM
They will be lucky to be over .500 after this road trip. Especially the way they are playing right now.

Or maybe this is just more of random variance?

Either way, it's too nice of a day to waste it watching this garbage.

Maybe so, but I'm not going to hit the panic button over a stretch of lousy play in May. I believe this team learned a lot from its run last year. I also believe in our GM and his track record of dealing from a point of strength. We're not the organization we were 3-4 years ago with little to no hand to play with.

Kc61
05-22-2011, 02:00 PM
The Reds handed out a lot of money this offseason. I just think it is a bit unfair to especially label Walt with a small market mentality.

The Reds didn't improve. They won a division and didn't make a single significant off-season addition. That's a recipe for disaster. When you are good, you try to be great. The Reds didn't.

It takes a lot to be great. You need to sign your guys. You need to fill your weak spots by adding players. The Reds did half the job. But overall they were too passive.

And to answer your previous post, I was loud and clear about this all off-season. Nobody was more outspoken than me about the Reds' passive off-season.

mth123
05-22-2011, 02:00 PM

I don't know. Isn't that what small markets do? He locked up his own in their pre-arb years, added years to aging guys for some relief this season and signed a couple scrap heap vets as his only addition of outside talent when the team is in position to go for it.

kaldaniels
05-22-2011, 02:01 PM
I don't know. Isn't that what small markets do? He locked up his own in their pre-arb years, added years to aging guys for some relief this season and signed a couple scrap heap vets as his only addition of outside talent when the team is in position to go for it.

I would argue the Reds acted like a mid-market team. Specifically Bruce and Arroyo.

kbrake
The Reds didn't improve. They won a division and didn't make a single significant off-season addition. That's a recipe for disaster. When you are good, you try to be great. The Reds didn't.

It takes a lot to be great. You need to sign your guys. You need to fill your weak spots by adding players. The Reds did half the job. But overall they were too passive.

And to answer your previous post, I was loud and clear about this all off-season. Nobody was more outspoken than me about the Reds' passive off-season.

The budget is what it is I'm not sure how much you think they could have added.

OldXOhio

Why is it believed that the offseason is the only time a team can improve?

pahster
05-22-2011, 02:02 PM
Gomes will start tomorrow in LF. Hamels is slated to pitch. Normally, I'd like that move, now I'm not sure he can hit lefties anymore either. Too messed up in the head.

His OPS against lefties this year is over 1.000 and is approaching .900 for his career.

Red in Chicago
05-22-2011, 02:02 PM
The Tribe playing ridiculously over their heads.

With a win today, the tribe could play .500 ball the rest of the season and have close to 90 wins. Won't take much more than that to win their division.

OldXOhio
05-22-2011, 02:03 PM

Might be a win-win at this point. He either hits Hamels and contributes or further cements his fate.

oneupper
05-22-2011, 02:03 PM
His OPS against lefties this year is over 1.000 and is approaching .900 for his career.

I know. But mentally...where is he at right now.

WVRedsFan
05-22-2011, 02:04 PM
Cy Young mows through the Reds lineup--the guy with the 5.03 ERA.

Time to go outside and enjoy this wonderfully sunny day.

OldXOhio
With a win today, the tribe could play .500 ball the rest of the season and have close to 90 wins. Won't take much more than that to win their division.

The "lowly" Twins will have something to say about that.

kbrake
Might be a win-win at this point. He either hits Hamels and contributes or further cements his fate.

Its been that way for two weeks but I think his fate has already been cemented. Call me crazy but I don't think we'll see Gomes in LF tomorrow night.

Kc61
05-22-2011, 02:05 PM
The budget is what it is I'm not sure how much you think they could have added.

I would have settled for one meaningful addition. One.

Instead, the team sat still and now some of the guys are performing worse.

It would be more palatable if the Reds had tried harder over the winter.

OldXOhio
05-22-2011, 02:05 PM
Its been that way for two weeks but I think his fate has already been cemented. Call me crazy but I don't think we'll see Gomes in LF tomorrow night.

One can only hope.

Orenda
05-22-2011, 02:06 PM
Dear Reds fans

Although Edison Volquez has been struggling, we would like to express our full commitment to EV. His stuff is clearly unquestionable, please don't listen to these basement loving stat folks who mention whip. Walks aren't that bad anyhow, it's not like its a home run. After all baseball is a team game, just be thankful that there are guys willing to pick up EV. Our priority should not be wasting our energy on ridiculing EV, but on figuring out how to better accommodate those who may go unnoticed.

Sincerely,

Reds long relievers

_Sir_Charles_
Not going to happen. I doubt they'll even move EV out of the rotation.

Unfortunately...I agree. And if they ever DO manage to come to their senses and send him to the minors...they'll say it's an injury that's causing his wildness and it'll be a DL stint. No injury is causing this. He's ALWAYS done this. I've said it before and I'll say it again, great stuff is pointless if you don't have command. And he doesn't and never has had any. Recovery from surgery is not going to teach him how to locate his pitches.

And with that...he plunks someone. Good lord.

kbrake
I would have settled for one meaningful addition. One.

Instead, the team sat still and now some of the guys are performing worse.

It would be more palatable if the Reds had tried harder over the winter.

I just don't get the sense of doom. I understand people being frustrated but this team is in one hell of a rough stretch and its struggling. I still think they'll bounce back and I still think this team is better than St. Louis.

WVRedsFan
Volquez hits Kearns.

mth123
I would argue the Reds acted like a mid-market team. Specifically Bruce and Arroyo.

Bruce was a great deal and any team would have signed that.

Arroyo was purely a small market play. They needed him for 2011 and locked themselves in for 2 seasons beyond that when either internal options who develop or an upgrade from outside was the logical play for 2012 and beyond and they added those years because they were out of room in the budget and needed relief from his 2011 option salary.

On the whole Walt has been a good GM, but the problems people are pointing out now are the same ones that had people calling for upgrades in December. Posting that these criticisms were in repsonse to a recent losing streak was way off base and what started this whole discussion.

kaldaniels
05-22-2011, 02:07 PM
Bruce was a great deal and any team would have signed that.

Arroyo was purely a small market play. They needed him for 2011 and locked themselves in for 2 seasons beyond that when either internal options who develop or an upgrade from outside was the logical play for 2012 and beyond and they added those years because they were out of room in the budget and needed relief from his 2011 option salary.

On the whole Walt has been a good GM, but the problems people are pointing out now are the same ones that had people calling for upgrades in December. Posting that these criticisms were in repsonse to a recent losing streak was way off base and what started this whole discussion.

There is no way the Arroyo deal was a small market deal.

oneupper
05-22-2011, 02:07 PM
The last week:

REDS can't be beat (Sweep series with Cards)
REDS can't lose (Cubs give away games)
REDS can't hit (Stymied by Buc no-name pitchers)
REDS can't win (lose close ones to Tribe on fri and sat)
REDS can't pitch, hit, field or win (today).

Some rollercoaster

WVRedsFan
05-22-2011, 02:09 PM
There is no way the Arroyo deal was a small market deal.Wasn't that Krivsky that made that deal? And Harangs?

kaldaniels
05-22-2011, 02:09 PM
Wasn't that Krivsky that made that deal? And Harangs?

Eye Yi Yi...

_Sir_Charles_
05-22-2011, 02:10 PM
Walk.

Even the players have to be thinking to themselves...YANK HIM!!!

Now a wild pitch.

Red in Chicago
05-22-2011, 02:10 PM
The "lowly" Twins will have something to say about that.

To get to 90 wins they would have to win 75 of the next 118. That's a big turn around from where they're at now. I'd say their done.

Kc61
05-22-2011, 02:11 PM
Wild pitch.

Some performance by V today.

WVRedsFan
05-22-2011, 02:11 PM
Eye Yi Yi...weren't we talking about Walt? I don't think he had anything to do with Arroyo's deal. I think Walt has done a superior job. He has done what he has done with the resources he has. His only misstep was depending on EV to be an ace. Many folks knew that was a stretch.

Big Klu
05-22-2011, 02:12 PM
Walk.

Even the players have to be thinking to themselves...YANK HIM!!!

Now a wild pitch.

I leave him in to take one for the team at this stage. No sense in burning the bullpen before going to Philly and Atlanta.

kaldaniels
weren't we talking about Walt? I don't think he had anything to do with Arroyo's deal. I think Walt has done a superior job. He has done what he has done with the resources he has. His only misstep was depending on EV to be an ace. Many folks knew that was a stretch.

Arroyo signed an extension this past offseason.

Homer Bailey
Walt re-signed Arroyo in the off season for 3 more years.

Quatitos
weren't we talking about Walt? I don't think he had anything to do with Arroyo's deal. I think Walt has done a superior job. He has done what he has done with the resources he has. His only misstep was depending on EV to be an ace. Many folks knew that was a stretch.

Walt signed Arroyo to a 3 year extension that was more team friendly with deferred money so he could spend more money on the team in the near term.

_Sir_Charles_
05-22-2011, 02:13 PM
2 ip / 6 hits / 5 runs / 4 bb / 2 k's / 1 hr / 1 hbp / 1 wild pitch

Stat line stuffer extraordinaire.

Oh yeah, 70 pitches in the 3rd.

WVRedsFan
05-22-2011, 02:13 PM
Arroyo signed an extension this past offseason.Yes, but the bar had been already set, hadn't it? Matters not. That, IMHO, was a good move.

mth123
05-22-2011, 02:14 PM
There is no way the Arroyo deal was a small market deal.

I think the smart play with Arroyo was to exercise his option and let him go after 2011. Chapman, Leake and even Volquez should probably be ready in 2012 (and IMO were long shots to be plusses in 2011 which is why Arroyo was needed this year) and if not, the salary slot would have allowed them to bring in a pretty good vet (maybe Arroyo himself). Instead they locked-in 2012 and 2013 and precluded the option of getting something better. They did it because his $12 Million option was a budget buster for 2011. Adding years to balance the current budget is pretty much a small market move IMO.

GAC
05-22-2011, 02:15 PM
I told you people that if we didn't get 10 in chat we would lose.

But do you people listen to me?

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

chat is open :beerme:

kaldaniels
05-22-2011, 02:15 PM
Yes, but the bar had been already set, hadn't it? Matters not. That, IMHO, was a good move.

Missing the point. A small market team mentality would not have resigned Arroyo for 10 MM plus a year.

They would have been fine to go forth with Leake,Wood,Chap,EV,Cueto,LeCure,Homer etc...

WVRedsFan
05-22-2011, 02:16 PM
Missing the point. A small market team mentality would not have resigned Arroyo for 10 MM plus a year.

They would have been fine to go forth with Leake,Wood,Chap,EV,Cueto,LeCure,Homer etc...OK. I see your point.

kaldaniels
I think the smart play with Arroyo was to exercise his option and let him go after 2011. Chapman, Leake and even Volquez should probably be ready in 2012 (and IMO were long shots to be plusses in 2011 which is why Arroyo was needed this year) and if not, the salary slot would have allowed them to bring in a pretty good vet (maybe Arroyo himself). Instead they locked-in 2012 and 2013 and precluded the option of getting something better. They did it becaise his $12 Million option was a budget buster for 2011. Adding years to balance the current budget is pretty much a small market move IMO.

We will just disagree on whether or not the Arroyo deal was a small market move, neither of us will be swayed.

Kc61

They would have been fine to go forth with Leake,Wood,Chap,EV,Cueto,LeCure,Homer etc...

It's an arguable point.

A substantial market passes on Arroyo and goes after a bigger fish. Or keeps Arroyo and also adds from the outside.

CTA513
05-22-2011, 02:18 PM
Voquez is finally done after giving up his 7th run

kaldaniels
Edinson to DL would be my first guess at a roster move.

JaxRed
So Dusty's legs DO work......

WVRedsFan
EV at 76 pitches--7 runs allowed--6.24 ERA (via ESPN). Time to sit him down and let him enjoy the pine in Louisville.

JaxRed
05-22-2011, 02:20 PM
For those of you watching the game, with a DVR.... watch LeCure start laughing as he jogs past Bruce. You know Jay had to have said something, like "bout time...."

_Sir_Charles_
05-22-2011, 02:20 PM
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Great job Edinson. Way to tire out those Indians by making them run around the bases.

Can we PLEASE end this garbage? Send him PACKING!

WVRedsFan
05-22-2011, 02:23 PM
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::c lap:

Great job Edinson. Way to tire out those Indians by making them run around the bases.

Can we PLEASE end this garbage? Send him PACKING!You're as emotional as me about this subject. I showed my tail by spouting off in the first inning, but it's true. He is putting the team in a hole early (something I can't even remember Milton or Fogg doing), over-working the bullpen, and doesn't seem to be improving. Short of dealing him (who would want him), send him down and see if he can be straightened out. I seriously doubt it's possible. This is the EV we saw in Texas, the minors--throughout his career. But try. And if he doesn't get it, DFA him. And thank the Good Lord that we didn't sign him this season.

CTA513
05-22-2011, 02:23 PM
Don't worry the Reds only have to face Hamels, Halladay and Lee in 3 out of the 4 games against the Phillies along with them getting some guy named Utley back.

05-22-2011, 02:24 PM
I love losing streaks. It brings back Redszone memories of years past. ;)

kaldaniels
05-22-2011, 02:25 PM
It's an arguable point.

A substantial market passes on Arroyo and goes after a bigger fish. Or keeps Arroyo and also adds from the outside.

And I am sorry for giving you a hard time earlier...but to get on Walt for having a small market mentality strikes a nerve with me.

Cause when the dust settles, what is Cincy? It is either a larger small-market or one of the smaller mid-markets. Payroll is what it is. So why complain about the GM for not spending like one of the big boys...when Cincy is not? Walt's gotta get more bang for his buck than most other clubs. It was just that generalization that bothered me.

If you want to talk about individual moves, I'm all ears.

_Sir_Charles_
05-22-2011, 02:27 PM
You're as emotional as me about this subject. I showed my tail by spouting off in the first inning, but it's true. He is putting the team in a hole early (something I can't even remember Milton or Fogg doing), over-working the bullpen, and doesn't seem to be improving. Short of dealing him (who would want him), send him down and see if he can be straightened out. I seriously doubt it's possible. This is the EV we saw in Texas, the minors--throughout his career. But try. And if he doesn't get it, DFA him. And thank the Good Lord that we didn't sign him this season.

I like Edinson, I really do. But if there is ONE THING I won't tolerate from my team's pitchers is walks...consistent walks. If you can't throw strikes...what's the point? You can throw it 50 mph or 110 mph, you can have your pitches break a foot or not move an inch, you can hide your pitches well or you can tell the hitters before you throw it what you'll throw...none of that makes any difference what-so-ever if you can't throw strikes. Period. I don't care WHO the pitcher is...throw strikes, or we'll find someone who will. When you've got one of the best (if not THE best) defenses in the majors standing there behind you...why wouldn't you pitch to contact? But regardless, walking guys, hitting guys, throwing wild pitches...you don't even give yourself a CHANCE.

kaldaniels
05-22-2011, 02:27 PM
So can we option Volquez to Louisville or not? I keep asking that but still don't know if that is for lack of a better word, an option?

Cause I don't know if I have the stomach to DFA him. I'll take a phantom DL trip myself.

WVRedsFan
05-22-2011, 02:29 PM
So can we option Volquez to Louisville or not? I keep asking that but still don't know if that is for lack of a better word, an option?

Cause I don't know if I have the stomach to DFA him. I'll take a phantom DL trip myself.Fay says yes, but you know Fay...

kaldaniels
05-22-2011, 02:30 PM
Fay says yes, but you know Fay...

So he's out of options, shoot. :laugh:

GAC
EV does have 1 option left.

_Sir_Charles_

Cause I don't know if I have the stomach to DFA him. I'll take a phantom DL trip myself.

Fay says yes. But he says yes because he first said no mistakenly and was corrected by a Reds FO exec who told him plainly that yes Volquez has an option remaining. So Fayl WAS wrong as expected...but it was a good mistake in this case.

Bottom line. Yes. He has an option.

kaldaniels
05-22-2011, 02:33 PM
Then EV to Louisville is certainly an easy decision at this point. I would predict that.

_Sir_Charles_
BRUUUUUUUCE! :jump:

So nice seeing him with that stroke back. #11 for Jay.

mth123
Bruce starts the comeback.

Yeah, I can be positive sometimes.

_Sir_Charles_
05-22-2011, 02:37 PM
Rolen followed with a double, but Lewis grounds to 1st to end the inning.

I know many on here were calling for Lewis in the offseason and it continued this season with people wanting him hitting leadoff. I'm just not seeing it. Why is he a better option than Stubbs leading off? And why is he a better option than Heisey in left? I've looked at his stat history and I'm just not understanding the love for Lewis.

GAC
05-22-2011, 02:38 PM
we added a person to chat, and got a run. See, I told you all!

WVRedsFan
05-22-2011, 02:40 PM

I know many on here were calling for Lewis in the offseason and it continued this season with people wanting him hitting leadoff. I'm just not seeing it. Why is he a better option than Stubbs leading off? And why is he a better option than Heisey in left? I've looked at his stat history and I'm just not understanding the love for Lewis.Two of us. I sort of watched him from a distance for a couple of years and he's shown me nothing. That was a trash can move if there ever was one--a gamble. And it hasn't worked out. I hope they soon bring up one of the AAA outfielders even if they have to DFA Gomes.

GAC
05-22-2011, 02:42 PM
Is there a stat for teams that hit the most solo Hrs? LOL

Kc61
05-22-2011, 02:43 PM
Two of us. I sort of watched him from a distance for a couple of years and he's shown me nothing. That was a trash can move if there ever was one--a gamble. And it hasn't worked out. I hope they soon bring up one of the AAA outfielders even if they have to DFA Gomes.

Once the Reds passed on all the major players, at the end there, I hoped they would get Lewis as a decent lefty alternative for the outfield.

I've been disappointed in his hitting. Lots of routine ground balls.

Nice inning by Lecure. He should be starting over Volquez.

Reds/Flyers Fan
05-22-2011, 02:43 PM
Is there a stat for teams that hit the most solo Hrs? LOL

Or non-clutch homers?

Honestly, where are they when the game is on the line ... like the last two nights?

Quatitos
05-22-2011, 02:44 PM

I know many on here were calling for Lewis in the offseason and it continued this season with people wanting him hitting leadoff. I'm just not seeing it. Why is he a better option than Stubbs leading off? And why is he a better option than Heisey in left? I've looked at his stat history and I'm just not understanding the love for Lewis.

I personally was calling for him in the off season and thought he would make a good 5th outfielder/platoon partner with Gomes. He is never gonna put up amazing stats, but he has established a track record, so you basically know what you are getting with him. Before the season started, he was also insurance against righties in case Stubbs wasn't getting it done in the leadoff spot. I don't know if I would argue that he is better than Heisey for left, but you also have to consider Heisey is the first backup for both center and right.

_Sir_Charles_
05-22-2011, 02:44 PM
Home Runs since April 25th....

Gomes...1
Votto...2
Phillips...3
Bruce...NINE

He's one off the NL lead

Screwball
05-22-2011, 02:45 PM
The Reds have hit plenty of "clutch" home runs. To say otherwise is looking for something to complain about.

JaxRed
05-22-2011, 02:46 PM
How did Feller have more shutouts than complete games? That must be typo.

Edit.... he had 279 complete games not 36...

Quatitos
05-22-2011, 02:46 PM
The Reds have hit plenty of "clutch" home runs. To say otherwise is looking for something to complain about.

People looking for things to complain about in a game thread when the Reds are losing, I could never imagine that happening :p

GAC
05-22-2011, 02:47 PM
Or non-clutch homers?

Honestly, where are they when the game is on the line ... like the last two nights?

nate, who is in chat, actually found one LOL

http://www.fangraphs.com/teams.aspx?pos=all&stats=bat&lg=all&type=0&season=2011&month=27&season1=2011

_Sir_Charles_
05-22-2011, 02:47 PM

Career, 44 shutouts...279 complete games. Or were they talking about a season?

JaxRed
05-22-2011, 02:48 PM
Career, 44 shutouts...279 complete games. Or were they talking about a season?

Nope,,,,, they were just wrong.

Kc61
05-22-2011, 02:48 PM
Reds should bring up a young lefty named Jeremy Horst from AAA. He's done well as a reliever down there.

Move Lecure into the rotation for awhile. Put Volquez at Louisville.

jojo
05-22-2011, 02:49 PM

Ha, ha...no he didn't. He had 36 complete games in '46 alone....

According to BR.com, Feller had 279 CG! He started 484....

_Sir_Charles_
05-22-2011, 02:50 PM
Reds should bring up a young lefty named Jeremy Horst from AAA. He's done well as a reliever down there.

Move Lecure into the rotation for awhile. Put Volquez at Louisville.

40 man roster. Somebody would have to be DFA. Herrera?

kaldaniels
05-22-2011, 02:51 PM

Human physiology hasn't changed that much in 70 years. There are pitchers out there now who I imagine could do the same. They should be identified...they would be very rich men.

Kc61
05-22-2011, 02:52 PM
40 man roster. Somebody would have to be DFA. Herrera?

Volquez to AAA. Herrera off the 40-man roster. Texas Rangers are smiling.

_Sir_Charles_

Yep. I was just looking at his numbers too. I wonder what kind of pitch count he was on? *grin* Was he in a 5 man rotation, or a 4 man rotation? If not for today's contracts and the money involved...would anybody be following pitch counts these days? I kinda doubt it.

WVRedsFan
Just think if LeCure had started. I seriously doubt the score would be 7-2.

<sigh>

Reds/Flyers Fan
05-22-2011, 02:53 PM
Volquez to AAA. Herrera off the 40-man roster. Texas Rangers are smiling.

I think they have been smiling - no, laughing hysterically - every single day since that trade was made.

CTA513
05-22-2011, 02:55 PM
LeCure with a no hitter through 2 innings.

Quatitos
05-22-2011, 02:56 PM
nate, who is in chat, actually found one LOL

http://www.fangraphs.com/teams.aspx?pos=all&stats=bat&lg=all&type=0&season=2011&month=27&season1=2011
Did the math, and the Reds rank 8th in terms of having the lowest percentage of solo HRs with 58%. The lowest solo HR percentage is held by the Mets with 49%. Along with that, the Reds have the second most HRs in the major leagues.

kaldaniels
05-22-2011, 02:56 PM
I think LeCure got a taste of the cup of coffee last year and really wants to have it for good.

WVRedsFan
05-22-2011, 02:57 PM
I think they have been smiling - no, laughing hysterically - every single day since that trade was made.

I guess I've been on board with the "trade was bad" crowd from day one. I thought that if Hamilton was a risk, EV was just as big of a risk. But, in those days, we needed pitching since we really didn't have any and everyone went ga-ga over Edinson. Now that the truth is known, some still defend him, but the eye doesn't lie. He has no idea what he's doing.

"There's just so much a pitching coach can do. A lot of it is between the ears..." - Chris Welch.

Kc61
05-22-2011, 02:59 PM
In the minors, Lecure had a few incredible hot streaks where he dominated. Seemed to me that an injury always stopped his hot streaks.

Great to see this guy perform so well. He's probably best suited for his current role, but as a fifth starter he'd give the Reds some good five or six inning stints I'm sure. I hope they go with him for awhile.

kaldaniels
If just 2 runs could be mustered this inning I may pick up the towel I threw in.

jojo
Yep. I was just looking at his numbers too. I wonder what kind of pitch count he was on? *grin* Was he in a 5 man rotation, or a 4 man rotation? If not for today's contracts and the money involved...would anybody be following pitch counts these days? I kinda doubt it.

He pitched 371 innings in '46.... I don't think anyone counted pitches back then period...

Feller basically pitched every 4th day.

CTA513
05-22-2011, 03:01 PM
Carrasco has a potty mouth

WVRedsFan
05-22-2011, 03:01 PM
Once again, the Reds are coming back as Heisey and Votto double . 7-3, with Votto on second with no one out.

kaldaniels
05-22-2011, 03:03 PM
Groundout by BP scores JV. 7 to 4.

Screwball
05-22-2011, 03:05 PM
Seems to me the Reds have had a lot of lineouts this game.

_Sir_Charles_
05-22-2011, 03:07 PM
I guess I've been on board with the "trade was bad" crowd from day one. I thought that if Hamilton was a risk, EV was just as big of a risk. But, in those days, we needed pitching since we really didn't have any and everyone went ga-ga over Edinson. Now that the truth is known, some still defend him, but the eye doesn't lie. He has no idea what he's doing.

"There's just so much a pitching coach can do. A lot of it is between the ears..." - Chris Welch.

It's definitely a win for the Rangers in regards to the trade. But I still think the Reds had to make that trade. They had a surplus of OF'ers with Bruce on the brink and Stubbs too (plus others). And they had no starting pitching. Time to take a chance. Worked out poorly...but it was a shot worth taking. Nobody knew what Hamilton would do or if he'd relapse, and nobody knew what Volquez would do. I'd STILL make that deal at that time. But knowing what I know now...I'd rearrange the pieces of the deal. But we all know that hindsight's 20-20.

_Sir_Charles_
05-22-2011, 03:09 PM
Asdrubal Cabrera with #9. 4 for 4 today.

CTA513
LeCure takes tips from Volquez and gives up a solo shot

WVRedsFan
8-4. Oh well.

Gallen5862
05-22-2011, 03:14 PM
What inning is it?

WVRedsFan
05-22-2011, 03:14 PM
6th

WVRedsFan
05-22-2011, 03:15 PM
Bottom of the 6th inning. 3 out. We head to the 7th.

Gallen5862
05-22-2011, 03:15 PM
Thanks.

WVRedsFan
05-22-2011, 03:18 PM
Lewis, Hernandez, and Janish up for the Reds. Lewis doubles to right. Runner on second with 0 outs.

reds44
05-22-2011, 03:18 PM
I wake up after a long night (lol) and George Grande and Aaron Boone are in the booth and we're on the verge of being swept.

SMH.

WVRedsFan
05-22-2011, 03:19 PM
I blame this series sweep on George. Someone's gotta take the blame, right?

Quatitos
05-22-2011, 03:20 PM
I blame this series sweep on George. Someone's gotta take the blame, right?

What was the other series George did so far this season?

WVRedsFan
05-22-2011, 03:23 PM
Janish clueless at the plate.

Blitz Dorsey
05-22-2011, 03:25 PM
Wow, Janish has been awful at the plate for over a month now. This is exactly what I feared would happen with him taking over as the "everyday" SS. We'll probably see Renteria play more and more ... and hopefully Cozart proves he can be the SS of the future. Janish will never hit well enough to hold the job.

hebroncougar
05-22-2011, 03:26 PM
I'm blaming George Grande for this disaster of a weekend.

Blitz Dorsey
I'm blaming George Grande for this disaster of a weekend.

He is without question a big part of the problem.

Reds/Flyers Fan
What was the other series George did so far this season?

He did the series in Milwaukee when the Reds won 2 of 3

CTA513
05-22-2011, 03:27 PM
Wow, Janish has been awful at the plate for over a month now. This is exactly what I feared would happen with him taking over as the "everyday" SS. We'll probably see Renteria play more and more ... and hopefully Cozart proves he can be the SS of the future. Janish will never hit well enough to hold the job.

Probably but its not like hes doing much better with the bat.

WVRedsFan
05-22-2011, 03:29 PM
Over and out. Have fun kiddies

_Sir_Charles_
05-22-2011, 03:31 PM

Over a month now? How about since he's come back from the ankle injury (7 games he's played since the injury). Just prior to that he was swinging a VERY solid bat...the best I've seen him as a Red in fact.

Quatitos
05-22-2011, 03:32 PM
Over a month now? How about since he's come back from the ankle injury (7 games he's played since the injury). Just prior to that he was swinging a VERY solid bat...the best I've seen him as a Red in fact.

True, he has been absolutely horrible since coming back from the ankle injury, and I like Janish.

JaxRed
05-22-2011, 03:33 PM
Smith in, nice solid job by LeCure

Big Klu
05-22-2011, 03:34 PM
LeCure allows one run in 3.1 innings.

reds44
05-22-2011, 03:35 PM
Jordan Smith, still bad.

Screwball
05-22-2011, 03:37 PM
LeCure allows one run in 3.1 innings.

Same number as Jordan Smith in 0.1 innings.

CTA513
05-22-2011, 03:38 PM
Jordan Smith, still bad.

Hes no longer the future closer?

Kc61
05-22-2011, 03:40 PM
Think we can get Reyes and Beltran for Gomes, Smith, Volquez, Renteria, and future considerations?

_Sir_Charles_
05-22-2011, 03:40 PM
Okay, I'm done. See you guys later. Wow.

mth123
05-22-2011, 03:41 PM
Jordan Smith is just too easy to hit. He doesn't miss enough bats and the misconception that simply being a ground ball pitcher makes a guy an asset is just wrong. There is more to it than that.

reds44
Think we can get Reyes and Beltran for Gomes, Smith, Volquez, Renteria, and future considerations?
Throw in Janish and George Grande.

Orenda
He did the series in Milwaukee when the Reds won 2 of 3

That was just a small sample size against a much larger track record of reds ineptness.

The guy is great when it comes to live action play-by-play, which I also think goes for Marty and Thom, but when it comes to the dead space that he fills, he reveals himself as a yes man with poor analysis, repeated cliches, and stories that drag about some guy 20 years ago.

I just realized that my thoughts about George Grande are similiar to Micheal Scott's feelings about Toby Flenderson.

Quatitos
05-22-2011, 03:42 PM
Jordan Smith is just too easy to hit. He doesn't miss enough bats and the misconception that simply being a ground ball pitcher makes a guy an asset is just wrong. There is more to it than that.

Agreed, Smith is not getting enough movement right now to get weak ground balls/miss bats. It seems like every ground ball he is getting right now is hit like a rocket and finds a hole.

Red in Chicago
05-22-2011, 03:43 PM
J. Smith :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Red in Chicago
05-22-2011, 03:45 PM
How many times has George said "but the damage done".

CTA513
05-22-2011, 03:47 PM
J. Smith :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Hes probably figuring if he gives up a bunch of runs in his 1st inning that he could be a starter for the Reds.

GAC
05-22-2011, 03:49 PM
Anyone notice the huge difference between these two bullpens?

The Indians throw strikes and challenge hitters

BuckeyeRedleg
05-22-2011, 03:50 PM
Jordan Smith does not belong in the major leagues. Just who is he related to in the front office?

How does a guy like this get speed-tracked through the minors, without proving ANYTHING while others way more deserving that have proved something just toil away?

As far as I'm concerned, you can take him, Herrera, and Gomes off the 40-man.

mth123
Anyone notice the huge difference between these two bullpens?

The Indians throw strikes and challenge hitters

We've seen our 12th man and a fill in. The fill in is a minor leaguer and the 12th man did a pretty good job.

OldXOhio
To get to 90 wins they would have to win 75 of the next 118. That's a big turn around from where they're at now. I'd say their done.

I'd be willing to bet that the Twins we see now are not the ones we'll see in Aug/Sept. And they may be in too big of a hole to dig completely out of, but the ALC champ is going to have to go through them at some point.

kaldaniels
05-22-2011, 03:51 PM
That was just a small sample size against a much larger track record of reds ineptness.

The guy is great when it comes to live action play-by-play, which I also think goes for Marty and Thom, but when it comes to the dead space that he fills, he reveals himself as a yes man with poor analysis, repeated cliches, and stories that drag about some guy 20 years ago.

I just realized that my thoughts about George Grande are similiar to Micheal Scott's feelings about Toby Flenderson.

I had to pick at least 2. :laugh:

YouTube - &#x202a;The Office - "Why are you the way that you are?"&#x202c;&rlm; (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5d5jxJ5vbM)

YouTube - &#x202a;The Office: I would shoot Toby twice (HD)&#x202c;&rlm; (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HFHsF-zJy4)

BuckeyeRedleg
05-22-2011, 03:52 PM

Yep, and painful to listen to when the Reds are playing like the Reds of the lost decade.

Sorry George, too many bad memories.

CTA513
05-22-2011, 03:52 PM
In about 1400 major league at bats Cabrera had 18 HRs
This year he has 9 HRs in 182 at bats

oneupper
05-22-2011, 03:53 PM

He's been training with José Bautista.

BuckeyeRedleg

Must have hired Bautista's trainer.

BuckeyeRedleg
oneupper got me.

oneupper
05-22-2011, 03:54 PM
Must have hired Bautista's trainer.

We are so predictable. :D

mth123
05-22-2011, 03:55 PM
I'd be willing to bet that the Twins we see now are not the ones we'll see in Aug/Sept. And they may be in too big of a hole to dig completely out of, but the ALC champ is going to have to go through them at some point.

I don't know. Thome is showing his age, Morneau appears to be permanently changed by the concussion, Mauer is hurt and the hole just keeps getting deeper. I think they may be selling at the break, Liriano will be a free agent and they need a replacement for Thome/Morneau. The Reds should offer Leake and Alonso plus stuff for 3 months of Liriano.

GAC
05-22-2011, 03:59 PM
Earlier I predicted a 14-4 game (Indians). I'm looking good so far! :D

oneupper
05-22-2011, 03:59 PM
On to Philly. Lee pitched yesterday and Oswalt today, so we won't get those two.

Harvey is not on the roster.

kaldaniels
05-22-2011, 04:00 PM
On to Philly. Lee pitched yesterday and Oswalt today, so we won't get those two.

Sorry but it's a 4 game series. :(

oneupper
05-22-2011, 04:01 PM
Sorry but it's a 4 game series. :(

So....Harvey IS on the roster? :(

kaldaniels
05-22-2011, 04:02 PM
So....Harvey IS on the roster? :(

Rimshot please. :lol:

GAC
05-22-2011, 04:02 PM

Got Hamel tomorrow. A TBA for game #2. But we then face Holiday, and I think Lee in game #4.

oneupper
05-22-2011, 04:03 PM
Got Hamel tomorrow. A TBA for game #2. But we them face Holiday, and I think Lee in game #4.

Don't need to go west to have a crappy road trip. Yikes. :eek:

mth123
05-22-2011, 04:05 PM
Got Hamel tomorrow. A TBA for game #2. But we then face Holiday, and I think Lee in game #4.

Gotta figure Kyle Kendrick in game 2.

CTA513
05-22-2011, 04:06 PM
Not only does this pitcher (Josh Judy) have 2 first names but one of them is a girls name.

traderumor
05-22-2011, 04:38 PM
I was encouraged by the line drives today, signs of the offensive slump ending very soon, if not over.

Volquez just solidified his standing as our 5th starter, at best.

Jordan Smith has the same problem all the Reds pitchers have had this season: can't seem to find the bottom half of the zone. Not sure why it is affecting the whole staff, but it has. I keep on hoping it is a prolonged slump and not just off seasons. Time will tell.

Conclusions about the Indians: what the heck is that? I am sure this will spawn many "oh, the Indians are for real, I could see it coming," but seriously, today was a blowout game, the first two games just hard to swallow.

jojo
05-22-2011, 05:14 PM
The cards game has turned into a dogfight and they're into their pen so hopefully today will only represent a hard to watch missed opportunity or the reds.

jojo
05-22-2011, 08:14 PM
The cards game has turned into a dogfight and they're into their pen so hopefully today will only represent a hard to watch missed opportunity or the reds.

Going into the Philly series, the Reds are 2.5 games behind the Cards and only 1 game ahead of the Brewers. The Cards are heading to San Diego to play the Padres who only scored two runs while being swept by the Ms. Then they head to play the Rockies The Brewers play the Nats and Giants before a head to head with the Reds.

This next week has the potential to dramatically impact the central division standings and the Reds could find themselves squarely in third place if they continue in their funk. They don't "have" to win right now but if they don't, in a week and a half, they could actually be several games out of second place...

It's "man up" time.

BuckeyeRedleg
05-22-2011, 08:52 PM
I don't see them winning more than two games on this trip.