PDA

View Full Version : La Russa does his BEST to lose, but...

Magdal
05-22-2011, 09:33 PM
KC tricked him and gave the Cards the game in the 10th on an error, 3 BB and a hit batsman. No hits in the inning, 2 runs.

Allen Craig gets a rare start getting a walk, a single and a HR but is BENCHED by LaRussa in the 5th! Green, who replaced him is not a good fielder and much less a hitter.

Wait, it get's better! Holliday pulls up lame and is replaced by the backup catcher. BOTH catchers in the game at the same time! So what happens? Later Laird gets drilled by a pitch, breaking a finger.

Wait, it gets better! Garcia, the staff Ace (1.62 ERA) is lifted in the 6th having thrown only 80 pitches! TLR said later he wanted to get some work for the pen. Anyway, he replaces him with a known gas can named Batista who is promptly pummeled.

KC overcomes a 7-1 deficiet to eventually tie the game up. They had went like 9 games w/o an error and commit 2 in this game, one in the critical 10th.

TLR remains the secret weopon of the NL Central. ;)

10xWSChamps
05-22-2011, 11:50 PM
Since La Russa joined the Cardinals in 1996, the Cardinals have the second most regular season wins in the NL (second to the Braves. Since 1998 the Cardinals have the lead) and the most post season wins

The DARK
05-23-2011, 12:36 AM
I respect Larussa's ability to put a winning team together, but I must agree that this managing seems pretty atrocious. Dusty at least knows his players; Heisey replaces Gomes at the end of games because he's a better fielder and is better at hitting relievers than starters.

Admittedly, I know little about the Cardinals bench bats. That's just how it seems from what I've been told.

Razzle
05-23-2011, 01:14 AM
Nobody can really defend LaRussa's game management today. His motto has been "play a hard nine", but he managed like the game was over in the 6th. Just some really curious moves, especially with a home plate ump that had an incredibly small and inconsistent strike zone. And Batista is a terrible, terrible pitcher.

Magdal
05-23-2011, 02:58 AM
Since La Russa joined the Cardinals in 1996, the Cardinals have the second most regular season wins in the NL (second to the Braves. Since 1998 the Cardinals have the lead) and the most post season wins

What's that got to do with anything? Today, in 2011 he is the worst manager in baseball. At any level. If Dusty pulled half of the Crap that TLR does, he would be ran out of town!

10xWSChamps
05-23-2011, 11:50 PM
What's that got to do with anything? Today, in 2011 he is the worst manager in baseball. At any level. If Dusty pulled half of the Crap that TLR does, he would be ran out of town!

What does that have to do with anything?

Oh, just the fact that it shows your comment was completely wrong. If Tony is doing his best to lose, he is not doing a very good job. This year or any year. Fact is that he is a winner and he always has been.

Saying he loses a lot of games is just flat out wrong . Unless, of course, you're contending that the Cardinals should have an even bigger regular season and post season wins lead!

Only three teams in baseball have a better record then the Cardinals do right now. Either you have enormous expectations or you're very wrong. I'm thinking that you're just wrong