PDA

View Full Version : How many outings will EV see in Louisville?

brm7675
05-23-2011, 05:14 PM
Okay he is heading to AAA. This is the pitcher Dusty had so much faith in to name him game 1 starter of the playoffs and follow that up with being named opening day starter knowing he had a very shorten spring training due to visa issues. So if you had to guess, how many starts will EV see in AAA before Dusty and the boys say he is "Ready" to return and assume the position as ACE of the staff.

Vottomatic
05-23-2011, 05:26 PM
Kind of funny that the pitcher Dusty had so much faith in to be the Opening Day starter is now being sent down.

Pretty much speaks volumes about Dusty's ability to make decisions or analyze how a guy is doing. Everyone knew Volquez shouldn't have started Opening Day. Everyone but Dusty.

Kevin1476
05-23-2011, 05:28 PM
Hey vottomatic, who did the reds add to the 40 man roster after half pint was claimed by the Brewers?

brm7675
05-23-2011, 05:32 PM
Hey vottomatic, who did the reds add to the 40 man roster after half pint was claimed by the Brewers?

As or now I don't think they have added anyone. Word is it might be Chris Reinke (sp) who would start Friday's game or Horst who is a lefty out of the pen. But I would think if it was him he would already be up, so think Chris R will get the nod and pitch for us Friday in Hotlanta....

Kevin1476
05-23-2011, 05:40 PM
Thanks BRM7675

The DARK
05-23-2011, 05:55 PM
Kind of funny that the pitcher Dusty had so much faith in to be the Opening Day starter is now being sent down.

Pretty much speaks volumes about Dusty's ability to make decisions or analyze how a guy is doing. Everyone knew Volquez shouldn't have started Opening Day. Everyone but Dusty.

I wouldn't say "everyone but Dusty" believed that. Volquez was seen as our potential #1 coming into the season by a good portion of Redszone, and at the very least, he deserved to be given a shot in the rotation. Hindsight is 20/20.

He'll stay in AAA until he can prove otherwise, just like Leake. Willis will get a shot if he's deserving as well. They shouldn't rejoin the major league roster until they can start stringing consistent starts together. My guess is between 7 and 10.

brm7675
05-23-2011, 05:58 PM
I wouldn't say "everyone but Dusty" believed that. Volquez was seen as our potential #1 coming into the season by a good portion of Redszone, and at the very least, he deserved to be given a shot in the rotation. Hindsight is 20/20.

He'll stay in AAA until he can prove otherwise, just like Leake. Willis will get a shot if he's deserving as well. They shouldn't rejoin the major league roster until they can start stringing consistent starts together. My guess is between 7 and 10.

I would be shocked if he is down there that long, 7-10 games would be almost 2-2.5 months which I just can't see happening. I would be shocked if he isn't back here and back in the rotation before late June.

bshall2105
05-23-2011, 06:02 PM
I think that it really depends on how the new 5th starter does. If the 5th starter struggles and Volquez regains control in AAA quickly then it could be a short stay. If the 5th starter throws strikes and keeps the team in the game then I could see Volquez being down for a while.

brm7675
05-23-2011, 06:36 PM
I think that it really depends on how the new 5th starter does. If the 5th starter struggles and Volquez regains control in AAA quickly then it could be a short stay. If the 5th starter throws strikes and keeps the team in the game then I could see Volquez being down for a while.

I don't think it matters whom the new starting pitcher is and unless he is just dominate how he does. In fact Leake could outpitch EV in AAA and EV will still get called up before Leake. :thumbdown:

Vottomatic
05-23-2011, 06:54 PM

I put myself in the majority, but I guess I was in the minority believing late in Spring Training (go read the threads........I didn't like Volquez and didn't think he was ready) that Volquez shouldn't be the Opening Day starter. I was really worried about the guy's performance this season, and obviously I was correct again. They need an emoticon that pats itself on the back, just for me. :D

BAKER12
05-23-2011, 09:28 PM
I voted for the last one, because he simply is a BAD pitcher right now. How many opening day starters are in the minors now?

texasdave
05-24-2011, 02:33 AM
I voted for the last one, because he simply is a BAD pitcher right now. How many opening day starters are in the minors now?

Coincidentally, it's the same number as the number of teams that Dusty Baker manages. One.

Girevik
05-24-2011, 02:00 PM

No way. If Volquez starts showing he's regained whatever it is he's lost, he'll be back up here in a shot. There COULD be a debate over who goes down, but the organization has shown too much love for Edison to think his stay will last any longer than his struggles do.

Krawhitham
05-24-2011, 02:40 PM
we will never see EV again

brm7675
05-24-2011, 03:07 PM
we will never see EV again

why do you say that?

bshall2105
05-24-2011, 04:28 PM
No way. If Volquez starts showing he's regained whatever it is he's lost, he'll be back up here in a shot. There COULD be a debate over who goes down, but the organization has shown too much love for Edison to think his stay will last any longer than his struggles do.

If the guy is pitching like Mike Leake when he first arrived in 2010 I would hope that he would be up here for a while regardless of what Volquez does.

lonewolf371
05-24-2011, 04:30 PM
If the guy is pitching like Mike Leake when he first arrived in 2010 I would hope that he would be up here for a while regardless of what Volquez does.
Volquez doesn't look like he's going to regain his control, instantly. It may take awhile to get it to acceptable levels (think Max Scherzer last season).

brm7675
05-24-2011, 04:38 PM
Volquez doesn't look like he's going to regain his control, instantly. It may take awhile to get it to acceptable levels (think Max Scherzer last season).

I don't think it will take him regaining great control. I think part of this demotion is punishment for his work ethic and attitude on the major league level. In fact I don't think he would have been sent down had he acted differently after the Indians game...

Carolina Red
05-25-2011, 05:52 PM
My hope is that he will be back in time so he can come up and put some good quality starts together before the trade deadline. Then I hope Walt trades him as far away as possible. He has never been worth a crap IMO except for the season he won 17 games (which I still think was when he was on steroids). Thank God he wouldn't agree to a long term deal last year. We should have gotten a lot more for Josh Hamilton, a lot more.

Stray
05-25-2011, 05:56 PM
If they're making changes to his mechanics it could be a while, if it's for him to get his confidence back then maybe not so long. Like someone else said, it'll depend a lot on how well the other guys pitch.

I hope he gets right, I'd rather not see him back up here till that happens.

brm7675
05-25-2011, 06:00 PM
My hope is that he will be back in time so he can come up and put some good quality starts together before the trade deadline. Then I hope Walt trades him as far away as possible. He has never been worth a crap IMO except for the season he won 17 games (which I still think was when he was on steroids). Thank God he wouldn't agree to a long term deal last year. We should have gotten a lot more for Josh Hamilton, a lot more.

Just wondering, but how would roids have an impact on location? That is his issue. His arm strength is there and such, it's just a matter of location and I don't see Roids being something that would impact that.

Carolina Red
05-25-2011, 07:33 PM
From what I've read steroids have an impact on everything, including eye hand/body coordination. That has everything to do with location. The fact of the matter is steroids make you better and he did use them. He has never had but one good season. I'm not a genious but I have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express and it seems more than likely his one good season was when he was juicing.

basballmn0306
05-25-2011, 09:07 PM
I believe we will see EV and AC sometime in the very near future. They NEED them if they want to seriously contend for the central.

bshall2105
05-25-2011, 10:27 PM
They need Chapman to contend this year, I dont think Volquez is as much of a must have.

BAKER12
05-26-2011, 02:47 AM
Volquez had control issues in his best season, so this is not news
Some GREAT pitchers walk hitters, Nolan Ryan comes to mind
The horrendous 1st innings are the issue
One of two things: He does not prepare properly or Price does not know how to handle him

brm7675
06-06-2011, 07:04 PM
Well it looks our winners are:

basballmn0306, BluegrassRedleg, Carolina Red, chisdad, RedRose323, texasdave, upsman

As it appears EV is coming back within the 1-3 AAA starts...congrats guys...