PDA

View Full Version : Well Walt make a bold move

brm7675
05-25-2011, 01:11 PM
During Walt's time with the Reds I can't think of any "big time" trade he has done outside of maybe the Rolen deal and i would not lable that as a 'big time' trade. Right now many here believe the Reds need to make a major move to upgrade at LF, SS and some feel we need a No. 1 starter. We can guess or say whom we would like to see the Reds get. But this question is more basic. The question is simple, do you see Walt and the Reds making a MAJOR trade at somepoint between now and the deadline to add something to this team?

RedsFan_26
05-25-2011, 01:16 PM
Walt has been great, this team would not be where they are if it wasn't for him. But yes i do see them making a big move. I say a shortstop at the deadline, not reyes, but a significant upgrade.

The DARK
05-25-2011, 01:27 PM
The circumstances make me think we will. We're slightly behind in a tight division race with holes at the top of the rotation, LF, and SS, and in order to separate from the Cardinals, I think we will.

If the White Sox continue their downward spiral, how would Alexi Ramirez look in red?

webbbj
05-25-2011, 01:31 PM
im not sure if there gonna upgrade in pitching but if I was going to upgrade lf or ss id go lf 1st ss 2nd.

RedsFan_26
05-25-2011, 01:39 PM
I've always like stephen drew, well offensive wise, i don't know too much about his defense. But i don't think it would take too much to pry him away from arizona, although arizona is having an alright year, at 24-24.

smixsell
05-25-2011, 01:48 PM
Major trade will happen. We will get an excellent hitting outfielder and give up some major talent to get him.

smixsell
05-25-2011, 01:48 PM
im not sure if there gonna upgrade in pitching but if I was going to upgrade lf or ss id go lf 1st ss 2nd.

Spot on mate.

5TimeWSChamps
05-25-2011, 01:55 PM
I've always like stephen drew, well offensive wise, i don't know too much about his defense. But i don't think it would take too much to pry him away from arizona, although arizona is having an alright year, at 24-24.

I actually called Extra Innings last year when Arizona was giving players away like Haren last year and thought we should make a move on Drew.

I wish we would, I've always been a fan

SeeinRed
05-25-2011, 02:00 PM
Last year I said it would be a bad idea to mortgage the future for success now. I still feel that way. Reds don't have to win it all this year. I want them to, but there are also parts I don't see them trade. Mesoraco being on top of that list in the minors, as well as Bruce, Stubbs, Votto, Phillips and I'd even say Bailey on the big league club. That leaves you with some valuable chips, but I don't think the club looks for an "Ace" pitcher or a one year rental like Reyes. I think we will likely see the Reds go after a player that will stabilize a position like LF. I know a lot of people like Kemp. I could also see some help at shortstop.

Walt seems to have the knack for getting that piece that pushes the team over the top.

Krawhitham
05-25-2011, 02:05 PM
They do not have money to make a big trade. Only trade we will see is something like Kearns for a PTBN

Reds
05-25-2011, 02:06 PM
The thread title says it all, I've been waiting for a bold move for years now. It's hard to do without depleting the minor leagues in a small-mid market club without a lot of money to throw around. I want a #1 pitcher, I do not believe you can win a World Series without one.

Krawhitham
05-25-2011, 02:07 PM
The thread title says it all, I've been waiting for a bold move for years now. It's hard to do without depleting the minor leagues in a small-mid market club without a lot of money to throw around. I want a #1 pitcher, I do not believe you can win a World Series without one.

Who has a #1 pitcher they are willing to give up?

25 of the 30 teams are within 5 games of making the playoffs

Reds
05-25-2011, 02:10 PM
Who has a #1 pitcher they are willing to give up?

25 of the 30 teams are within 5 games of making the playoffs

No argument, probably nobody. We missed out of Cliff Lee and those chances don't come along every day. I would just prefer that if a pitcher is shopped around like that this season that we push to the limit to get him provided we're in the race. A #1 is a must.

SidneySlicker
05-25-2011, 02:28 PM
With the way things are going and the schedule, I'm begining to fear that they will be out of contention by the time the trade deadline rolls around. So if something is going to happen it better happen sooner rather than later.

Stray
05-25-2011, 02:43 PM
Still way too early to tell.

The pitching is likely going to be thin at the deadline...I know Liriano *sp* has had a shaky year, but he would likely be available. I would think it would be for an outfielder but I honestly have no clue. I know we won't make a panic trade.

mr. red
05-25-2011, 03:02 PM
Honestly, once Dontrelle gets off the DL, I can see him getting called up. He has done great in Louisville and if he can continue that at the MLB level, then he could prove to be an upgrade over 3 out of our 5 SPs. I'd also like to see Cozart get the call to start at SS and see what he does. I think that we should make a deal to get a big piece, but I wouldn't trade the farm system without giving them a shot at the big league level.

brm7675
05-25-2011, 03:27 PM
Honestly, once Dontrelle gets off the DL, I can see him getting called up. He has done great in Louisville and if he can continue that at the MLB level, then he could prove to be an upgrade over 3 out of our 5 SPs. I'd also like to see Cozart get the call to start at SS and see what he does. I think that we should make a deal to get a big piece, but I wouldn't trade the farm system without giving them a shot at the big league level.

I am baffled as to why people think a pitcher who has been unable to do anything on the major league over the past 5 years and how 3-4 AAA starts shows he has anything....:confused:

Stray
05-25-2011, 03:33 PM
I am baffled as to why people think a pitcher who has been unable to do anything on the major league over the past 5 years and how 3-4 AAA starts shows he has anything....:confused:

Because it has never been physical issue with him. When he's right he can be great but unfortunately for him, he's been battling his own mental demons for years now.

A lot of people are holding out hope that he can get past all of that stuff and return to form.

brm7675
05-25-2011, 03:39 PM
Because it has never been physical issue with him. When he's right he can be great but unfortunately for him, he's been battling his own mental demons for years now.

A lot of people are holding out hope that he can get past all of that stuff and return to form.

I would say okay if it was a year or so..but it's been 5 and at this point you don't get it back. He had a nice brief career, but right now Leake is a much better choice.

Stray
05-25-2011, 03:42 PM
I would say okay if it was a year or so..but it's been 5 and at this point you don't get it back. He had a nice brief career, but right now Leake is a much better choice.

You might be right about Leake being the better choice, but the fact that it isn't all that clear cut leaves room to hope for Willis. Leake hasn't exactly been great or anything.

Vottomatic
05-25-2011, 03:45 PM
The Reds never do much on the trade market. I don't see it happening. I expect the message to the fans to be that they are going to war with what they got.

Third place here we come! Woo-hoo!!!!

brm7675
05-25-2011, 03:59 PM
You might be right about Leake being the better choice, but the fact that it isn't all that clear cut leaves room to hope for Willis. Leake hasn't exactly been great or anything.

I guess it depends on your expectations for your No. 5 starter. To me if my No.5 guy can give me 4 out 6 quality starts (6 innings/3 runs or fewer) I will take that everyday and twice on Sunday.

5TimeWSChamps
05-25-2011, 04:58 PM
I guess it depends on your expectations for your No. 5 starter. To me if my No.5 guy can give me 4 out 6 quality starts (6 innings/3 runs or fewer) I will take that everyday and twice on Sunday.

You don't draft #5 starters in the Top 8 of the MLB draft either dimwit

mr. red
05-25-2011, 05:10 PM

Leake has been AWFUL in the majors and the minors this season. How is he a better option? Ted Powers has the D-Train pitching to his capabilities and I think that he would do a good job at the ML level.

brm7675
05-25-2011, 05:27 PM
You don't draft #5 starters in the Top 8 of the MLB draft either dimwit

No you draft quality guys which he is. How many No. 1 picks make their debut in the majors right away with no time in the minors and do as well as he did? He is a number 5 starter right now, in a year or two he will be a 2/3 guy, give us a ton of innings and be a very good pitcher.

brm7675
05-25-2011, 05:29 PM
Leake has been AWFUL in the majors and the minors this season. How is he a better option? Ted Powers has the D-Train pitching to his capabilities and I think that he would do a good job at the ML level.

4 out of his 6 starts this year were of 6 innings or more, 3 or fewer runs and less then 3 walks. Exactly how is that awful? D-Train hasn't produced on the major league level anywhere near what Leake has done over the past season or so in over 5 years. Yep that is whom I want on the mound for the Reds....:thumbdown:

BAKER12
05-25-2011, 06:32 PM
Masset deal was a steal, but not a big trade at the time

mu4103
05-25-2011, 07:13 PM

Willis's problem seems to always have been mental (anxiety disorder). He is young and I think people still look at those great years and think that if he gets his head on straight he could do some big things - perhaps even be an ace.

brm7675
05-25-2011, 07:16 PM
Willis's problem seems to always have been mental (anxiety disorder). He is young and I think people still look at those great years and think that if he gets his head on straight he could do some big things - perhaps even be an ace.

But he has had 5 years to fix the problem and hasn't...

drowg14
05-25-2011, 07:27 PM
If the White Sox continue to struggle, maybe someone such as Jake Peavy would become available. They gave up a lot to get him so they might want quite a bit in return, and he has had injury issues the past year or two. But if people want Walt to go after an ace he may be a decent option. I'm not sure what his contract situation is right now though, so he may be too expensive. Just throwing it out there.

brm7675
05-25-2011, 07:28 PM
If the White Sox continue to struggle, maybe someone such as Jake Peavy would become available. They gave up a lot to get him so they might want quite a bit in return, and he has had injury issues the past year or two. But if people want Walt to go after an ace he may be a decent option. I'm not sure what his contract situation is right now though, so he may be too expensive. Just throwing it out there.

For me way to many injury issues...

5TimeWSChamps
05-25-2011, 07:35 PM
Danks is the guy from Chicago I'd want

brm7675
05-25-2011, 07:51 PM
Danks is the guy from Chicago I'd want

But what would it take to get him?

Vottomatic
05-25-2011, 08:19 PM
Well Walt make a bold move?

Well.........I dunno if he will or won't.