PDA

View Full Version : From ORG: Benihana proposes trading with the Dodgers

Vottomatic
05-25-2011, 04:05 PM
From ORG: http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89520

The Dodgers just make so much sense as a trading partner.

Billingsley, Furcal, Kemp and Ethier are all guys the Reds should have some interest in. Billingsley is a local product and the Reds starting pitching depth has suddenly disappeared. Furcal is a FA-to-be on a team going nowhere, and would provide a leadoff hitter and SS with playoff experience to a team that desperately needs all three of those things. Kemp and Ethier would fill the LF and cleanup hitter void, and provide the Reds with arguably the best OF in the game.

The Dodgers' ownership situation is well known, and they are probably looking at a firesale reminiscent of the 2003 Reds (ironically John Allen is now running their team.) In all likelihood, they'll need to completely tear it down and start from scratch. They also have a big hole at 1B (Loney will be non-tendered after this year).

I would offer Alonso, Grandal, and Sappelt for one of their OFs and either Billingsley or Furcal. That should at least get things going. If they're serious and the terms are right, I'd add Leake to the deal as well.

I'd be talking to both the Mets and Dodgers and see who is more desperate to relieve payroll.

Furcal makes $13M this season and is a free agent with no options after this season.

Ethier makes $9.5M this season and is arbitration elgible for the 4th time in '12.

Kemp makes $7.1M this season and is arbitration eligible for the 3rd time in '12.

Billingsley makes $6.3M this season, $9M in '12, $11M in '13, $12M in '14 with a $3M buyout in '15.

Clayton Kershaw makes $500,000 this season and heads to arbitration in '12.

I just don't see the Reds being able to take on additional payroll. But Ethier hitting behind Votto would get Joey some pitches, that's for sure.

mu4103
05-25-2011, 04:30 PM
From ORG: http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89520

I'd be talking to both the Mets and Dodgers and see who is more desperate to relieve payroll.

Furcal makes $13M this season and is a free agent with no options after this season.

Ethier makes $9.5M this season and is arbitration elgible for the 4th time in '12.

Kemp makes $7.1M this season and is arbitration eligible for the 3rd time in '12.

Billingsley makes $6.3M this season, $9M in '12, $11M in '13, $12M in '14 with a $3M buyout in '15.

Clayton Kershaw makes $500,000 this season and heads to arbitration in '12.

I just don't see the Reds being able to take on additional payroll. But Ethier hitting behind Votto would get Joey some pitches, that's for sure.

I am a Dodgers fan. So I can tell you pretty accurately how the Dodgers and fans feel about things.

1. The Dodgers would likely be willing to part with Furcal, their best prospect in the minors is a shortstop.

2. I could see Billingsley being traded and I think he is a lot better pitcher than people give him credit for. I think he would be a great fit for the Reds.

3. The Dodgers might be willing to trade Kemp because he seems to be playing out of his mind and could get max value for him. He was a clubhouse problem in the past.

4. Either and Kershaw are off the table (especially the latter). I am not sure that the Reds have anybody in the minors or combo package that would entice the Dodgers to make that trade. Unless it was like the Herschell Walker trade to the Vikings in the early 90's :). Trading those guys would be like the Reds trading Votto or to a much lesser extent Stubbs (assuming he continues to hit) if the Reds have a bad season this year or next.

Like I said I am a Dodgers fan (Reds second) so I have a pretty good idea as to the feel of the organization (including our financial situation).

brm7675
05-25-2011, 05:43 PM
I am a Dodgers fan. So I can tell you pretty accurately how the Dodgers and fans feel about things.

1. The Dodgers would likely be willing to part with Furcal, their best prospect in the minors is a shortstop.

2. I could see Billingsley being traded and I think he is a lot better pitcher than people give him credit for. I think he would be a great fit for the Reds.

3. The Dodgers might be willing to trade Kemp because he seems to be playing out of his mind and could get max value for him. He was a clubhouse problem in the past.

4. Either and Kershaw are off the table (especially the latter). I am not sure that the Reds have anybody in the minors or combo package that would entice the Dodgers to make that trade. Unless it was like the Herschell Walker trade to the Vikings in the early 90's :). Trading those guys would be like the Reds trading Votto or to a much lesser extent Stubbs (assuming he continues to hit) if the Reds have a bad season this year or next.

Like I said I am a Dodgers fan (Reds second) so I have a pretty good idea as to the feel of the organization (including our financial situation).

the problem with the Dodgers is "whom" is in charge and "whom" will decide what is a fair trade for the team and such. That team is in a real mess right now on the mag't side.

Vottomatic
05-25-2011, 06:59 PM
John Allen is in charge of the Dodgers.

redsfanmia
05-25-2011, 08:00 PM
Like I said I am a Dodgers fan (Reds second)

My how times have changed, when I grew up this would be the equivalent of being a Yankee fan first and Red Sox fan second!