PDA

View Full Version : Thommy B

BAKER12
05-26-2011, 11:37 AM
Is it me, or does he seem to be way more negative than he was when we were losing every year?

It seems like he continually bashes the way the team is run, roster moves by the front office and the players.

He is an old-timer (grumpy and longing for the good old days) and he is not even old.

I like him much better on football than baseball. The fact that he is Marty Junior and is a native gives him the attitude (or at least to me it sounds that way) that he can say as he pleases because of who he is.

mroby85
05-26-2011, 12:05 PM
I love Thom, I just feel like he's constructive like Marty, which I enjoy watching games. George Grande was a nice guy, but being nice and positive all the time just annoys me when i'm watching a game and they aren't playing well, lol.

Who Dey Time
05-26-2011, 12:13 PM
My only issue with Thom is that he tends to hit the same issue over and over and over. See BP's pickoff last night. Yes it was a completely stupid play but to harp on every 5 minutes for the rest of the game is overkill.

I do like how he, at least IMO, approaches the play by play much like a fan would.....questioning the strike zone, close plays, asking Chris the question about Wood's fatigue, etc.

Moonlite Graham
05-26-2011, 12:49 PM
Im not one to complain about Thom, I actually like an opinionated announcer rather than someone bland and pollyanna like George Grande.

But wow last night was the zenith or nadir (depending how you look at it) of his negative hyperbole. He just wouldnt let anything go, opportunites vs Halladay wasted, Brandons pickoff, the Reds lack of extra inning offense, the batters approach to Valdez on the mound and relentlessly driving the point home that this was basically "the most embarrassing loss in recent Reds history"

Okay, we get it, all of us who stayed up for the 6 hours saw the exact same thing you did.

Even my girlfriend mentioned...."jesus, Thom seems even more bitter than normal tonight"

DocRed
05-26-2011, 12:50 PM
I don't think he is usually negative...well at least compared to dad. I'm not a big fan of his though.

Moosie52
05-26-2011, 01:10 PM
My only issue with Thom is that he tends to hit the same issue over and over and over. See BP's pickoff last night. Yes it was a completely stupid play but to harp on every 5 minutes for the rest of the game is overkill.

Exactly. He made me want to slap him last night.

mlh1981
05-26-2011, 01:12 PM
I've always been a fan of his. He can relate to the extreme frustrations that we as fans can go through. I would rather have someone like than than someone who does nothing but pump sunshine up our @ss 24/7.

BluegrassRedleg
05-26-2011, 03:55 PM
I love Thom, I just feel like he's constructive like Marty, which I enjoy watching games. George Grande was a nice guy, but being nice and positive all the time just annoys me when i'm watching a game and they aren't playing well, lol.

I think he's OK, but he *seems* to be taking the whole Marty thing and trying to incorporate too much of it into his routine. When Marty is critical, I feel like it's almost always merited and agree with the way he handled it about 99% of the time. When Tom does it, a lot of it comes across as nit-picking to me.

I flipped back and forth between WLW and TV last night. When I was on TV, Thom was unbearably negative. (Granted, it was a negative-type night.) But it came across as grating, whining at times.

I got a chuckle today because Thom goofed up and said a fly ball to Heisey was ending the inning. It was only the second out. If a player had made that type of mistake (similar to Phillips' mental lapse last night) Thom would have crucified him. Now, certainly players are held to a much higher standard, but the irony was not lost on me.

Maker_84
05-26-2011, 04:03 PM
Thom and Marty in my opinion have the coolest play by play voices in all of broadcasting so i don't care what they say as long as i get to listen to them.

gilpdawg
05-26-2011, 04:06 PM
As far as Thom and Marty go, just do your job and describe the action. I don't need or care about your opinion. I can form my own.

Sent from my Liberty using Tapatalk

signalhome
05-26-2011, 04:30 PM
Thom and Marty in my opinion have the coolest play by play voices in all of broadcasting so i don't care what they say as long as i get to listen to them.

I could not disagree more on Thom. His voice cuts right through me.

signalhome
05-26-2011, 04:31 PM
As far as Thom and Marty go, just do your job and describe the action. I don't need or care about your opinion. I can form my own.

My feelings exactly.

BAKER12
05-26-2011, 04:43 PM
Marty has a cool, old time smoking play by play announcer voice
Thom has a spoiled brat whine to him

Just like the Buck family in St. Louise
Jack Buck was awesome, Joe is a jerk

bshall2105
05-26-2011, 04:44 PM
Thom Brennaman > Vin Scully

Stray
05-26-2011, 05:14 PM
I like Marty but not a huge fan of Thom. Chris Welsh is awesome though.

Billy_Bearcat
05-26-2011, 05:21 PM
I love Thom and believe what makes him a bit more opinionated is that he is actually a fan of the Reds, not just an announcer. Last night was embarassing and this downward spiral seems to have affected everyone.

BAKER12
05-26-2011, 09:06 PM
I like Marty but not a huge fan of Thom. Chris Welsh is awesome though.

Welsh is the best, he is a Reds guy all the way, but is not afraid to be critical. If Price leaves, Welsh be a great pitching coach.

Natty Redlocks
05-26-2011, 09:48 PM
Thom Brennaman > Vin Scully

Heh. I bet you didn't even type that with a straight face. I would love for the Reds to get a guy who just sits by himself and describes the action, especially on radio. I don't need to hear pointless chitchat about their personal lives. I don't need to hear the same conversation about Jeff Brantley's disgusting eating habits. I don't need to hear T(h)om desperately trying to live up to his dad's legendary reputation with exaggerated excitement anytime anything, good or bad, happens. I don't need for anyone anywhere to "Ask Marty" anything. And for the love of all that is holy, please please please somebody find a way to stop guests from entering the booth and talking about stupid crap nobody cares about while the game is going on -- I don't know about anyone else, but the game is the reason I am listening, not the announcers, I do not care about their personalities at all ok I'm done now.

AintlifeGrande
05-26-2011, 10:28 PM
I was so sick and disgusted over Thom constantly harping over and over and over about Philips getting picked off last night.My friend said he was hoping someone would have called him from the Reds front office and told him to quit harping on it.I lost all respect for Thom Brennaman after that game.

wlf WV
05-26-2011, 10:30 PM
The thing about Marty ,I can't tell if he is a Reds fan.He comes across as the Marty show, and not the Reds broadcaster.Nuxhall kept him straight.

AintlifeGrande
05-26-2011, 10:32 PM
Joe and Grande are the same in the fact they are old school and let the game play out,rather than sit there and harp on the players.Thats why there was so much dead air time with Knuxy,he didnt bother talking a bunch of noise.

Moosie52
05-27-2011, 12:29 PM
Chris is awesome and getting better with age. It doesn't matter who he works beside, either.

MBZags
05-27-2011, 01:19 PM
I like Welsh.

As for Thom, the one thing that really bothers me is that he is calling plays as outs before a ball is even thrown or caught. It comes across as lazy broadcasting, and he could end up getting burned when someone makes an error.