PDA

View Full Version : Okay how do you shake this team up?

brm7675
05-26-2011, 04:17 PM
You have lost 8 of your last night, and you are now down to 3rd in your division with still 3 tough road games in Atlanta this weekend. So...what should/can Dusty do to shake things up and get this team going?

BAKER12
05-26-2011, 04:21 PM
1. Not panic
2. Realize it is 162 game, not 62 game schedule
3. Get some pitchers that are healthy
4. Acquire a major league caliber LF
5. Do what it takes to get Reyes and Beltran

bounty37h
05-26-2011, 04:22 PM
Fire RedsZone. If firing the best minds in baseball doesnt do it, I dont know what would.

brm7675
05-26-2011, 04:24 PM
1. Not panic
2. Realize it is 162 game, not 62 game schedule
3. Get some pitchers that are healthy
4. Acquire a major league caliber LF
5. Do what it takes to get Reyes and Beltran

1. Okay when do you panic
2. True but you can't continue to win a few, lose a few and such
3. Agree but whom should get the call up?
4. Not that easy to do if at all at this point
5. So give away the farm and over $15-17 million just this season for 2 rentals?

BAKER12
05-26-2011, 04:48 PM
1. Okay when do you panic
2. True but you can't continue to win a few, lose a few and such
3. Agree but whom should get the call up?
4. Not that easy to do if at all at this point
5. So give away the farm and over $15-17 million just this season for 2 rentals?

Panic if you lose 15 of 16 or something like the Royals would do
It is going to be tough sledding with rotation in shreds
I think a trade (even if not for the rentals) is needed
We need more production from LF for sure
Can live with SS like Janish, if we have pitching

brm7675
05-26-2011, 04:52 PM
Panic if you lose 15 of 16 or something like the Royals would do
It is going to be tough sledding with rotation in shreds
I think a trade (even if not for the rentals) is needed
We need more production from LF for sure
Can live with SS like Janish, if we have pitching

If you lose 15 of 16 isn't it a tad to late at that point?
Shreds? i wouldn't go that far, need for Leake and EV to step up their game
Needed? Yes, going to be permitted? That is the big question...

Stray
05-26-2011, 05:11 PM
Is this where we overreact to a rough stretch?

Every team is going to have one of these. We haven't had an off day in ages, we're battling injuries, we're playing the 2 best teams in baseball, and we're on an absolute brutal road trip. Toss in a 19 inning game in the middle, 2 short starts by your starters, and another starter injuring himself plus more injuries to your long man and best available starter in AAA and you get this mess.

This just in, once things get back to normal so will this team. It's a lot for these guys to physically deal with right now.

malcontent
05-26-2011, 05:16 PM
Janish has to go. He's a good guy, probably a smart guy, but he is a legitimate black hole offensively. His defense even seems to be shaky right now.

Reds should bring up Cozart to split SS with ER.

Rolen, IMO, is done. 2 HR, 5 BB, 0.718 OPS.

He looks awful at the dish and in the field. Last night he was flat-footed and managed only to deflect the double down the line. All his throws to 1B (when on the move) are off-balance because he has ZERO flexibility. He also has ZERO range. Done. Toast. Bad, bad call on the extension.

Bring up Frazier to play 3B. Too bad the Reds jerked him around in previous years instead of letting him focus on 3B.

As for LF, I'd like to see an actual platoon of Lewis and Gomes. Of course, that's not Baker's way.

IMO, this season, barring a swindle of a deal by WJ, is lost. Probably time to be planning for 2012.

brm7675
05-26-2011, 05:19 PM
Is this where we overreact to a rough stretch?

Every team is going to have one of these. We haven't had an off day in ages, we're battling injuries, we're playing the 2 best teams in baseball, and we're on an absolute brutal road trip. Toss in a 19 inning game in the middle, 2 short starts by your starters, and another starter injuring himself plus more injuries to your long man and best available starter in AAA and you get this mess.

This just in, once things get back to normal so will this team. It's a lot for these guys to physically deal with right now.

Outside of the Cards series this team has really struggled over the past 20 something games. I think we are lucky to be a game over .500. I think the continued play of Gomes really hurt this team. I think the unproductivity at 3rd and SS has hurt this team. I am worried that Homer now and maybe at some point Cueto's arm issues from ST are going to bite us. Then you have EV for whom is a head case and has issues with throwing strikes. I think we are also struggling with the idea of expectations. Sometimes that burden alone can be a pain...

brm7675
05-26-2011, 05:21 PM
Janish has to go. He's a good guy, probably a smart guy, but he is a black hole offensively. His defense even seems to be shaky right now.

He looks awful at the dish and in the field. Last night he was flat-footed and only managed to get a glove on and deflect the double down the line. All his throws to 1B (when on the move) are off-balance because he has ZERO flexibility. He also has ZERO range. Done. Toast.

Bring up Frazier to play 3B.

IMO, this season, barring a swindle of a deal by WJ, is lost. Probably time to be planning for 2012.

Janish is a black hole at the plate, but you have to wonder how much the bad ankle is bothering him. I also agree on Rolen, however as long as your owner is in his corner, he is not going anywhere...

Billy_Bearcat
05-26-2011, 05:24 PM
Janish has to go. He's a good guy, probably a smart guy, but he is a legitimate black hole offensively. His defense even seems to be shaky right now.

He looks awful at the dish and in the field. Last night he was flat-footed and only managed to get a glove on and deflect the double down the line. All his throws to 1B (when on the move) are off-balance because he has ZERO flexibility. He also has ZERO range. Done. Toast. Bad, bad call on the extension.

Bring up Frazier to play 3B.

Unfortunately I think you are right and this is a bigger problem than most realize.

Stray
05-26-2011, 05:28 PM
Outside of the Cards series this team has really struggled over the past 20 something games. I think we are lucky to be a game over .500. I think the continued play of Gomes really hurt this team. I think the unproductivity at 3rd and SS has hurt this team. I am worried that Homer now and maybe at some point Cueto's arm issues from ST are going to bite us. Then you have EV for whom is a head case and has issues with throwing strikes. I think we are also struggling with the idea of expectations. Sometimes that burden alone can be a pain...

Oh yeah, I'm not saying we don't have problems. I'm just saying that there's a lot of things that had to align to create the mess we're in now. It's unfortunate but we're still a good team, once we get past this road trip and get a day off/guys start healing up I think we're gonna get back to winning a lot of games. We just need to survive the rest of this trip IMO.

If Bailey's issue was just spasms from swinging the bat then maybe it isn't that horrible, but you never know with these Bailey injuries.

brm7675
05-26-2011, 05:30 PM
Oh yeah, I'm not saying we don't have problems. I'm just saying that there's a lot of things that had to align to create the mess we're in now. It's unfortunate but we're still a good team, once we get past this road trip and get a day off/guys start healing up I think we're gonna get back to winning a lot of games. We just need to survive the rest of this trip IMO.

If Bailey's issue was just spasms from swinging the bat then maybe it isn't that horrible, but you never know with these Bailey injuries.

that is why i am asking what we need to do to shake things up. Also, I am not buying back spasms...not for one minute

Vottomatic
05-26-2011, 05:38 PM
This team is screwed.

Management will go with what they got. If they're out of it come late July, the firesale of Cordero and Phillips will begin.

What this team needs is a willingness to increase payroll and take on some help via trade. But it won't happen. Ownership is too cheap and the Reds are small market.

brm7675
05-26-2011, 05:47 PM
This team is screwed.

Management will go with what they got. If they're out of it come late July, the firesale of Cordero and Phillips will begin.

What this team needs is a willingness to increase payroll and take on some help via trade. But it won't happen. Ownership is too cheap and the Reds are small market.

They won't deal Phillips. I can see them dealing Co-Co, but i really believe our division is so weak we won't be out of it till maybe early Sept so I don't see any dumping of talent.

How is ownership cheap? they just signed a number of player to extended deals, spent 30 million on a kid for Cuba and such. I would say they are fisically challenged maybe, but not cheap.

Reds
05-26-2011, 05:50 PM

I think the payroll will only really increase when the Reds have that year that 100+ game sell out season and season ticket sales spike. I don't think ownership is cheap, but I do think they need figures to justify spending.

Phillips is likely to stay. I DO agree that Coco is making too much considering our payroll , 12 mill is too much and it's not because of what he does on the field that it's too much, it's just too much to spend on a closer.

Stray
05-26-2011, 05:51 PM
that is why i am asking what we need to do to shake things up. Also, I am not buying back spasms...not for one minute

I don't know how much things can really be shaken up right now. The best medicine for this team would be to have a few consecutive 7/8 inning starts from our starters.

And yeah, I really have no idea what to think about Bailey. His 'minor' injuries can sometimes last for months.

brm7675
05-26-2011, 05:58 PM
I don't know how much things can really be shaken up right now. The best medicine for this team would be to have a few consecutive 7/8 inning starts from our starters.

And yeah, I really have no idea what to think about Bailey. His 'minor' injuries can sometimes last for months.

to me a shake up would be to:

DFA:Gomes and Edgar

Call up Frazier and Chris V.

Put Chris V. at SS and go with Fraizer at third for a series and see what happens. Move Bruce up to the 4 spot and go with Heisey at lead off, Phillips hitting 2nd, Votto 3rd, Bruce 4th, Stubbs 5th, hanigan 6th, Frazier 7th, Chris V. 8th....

Pitching wise bring up Horst for the Pen, move Lecure and Leake to the rotation. DL Homer and depending on how Bronson goes in his start in Atlanta DL him if he struggles and bring up Reinke to start.

texasdave
05-26-2011, 06:13 PM
It sounds as if Dusty thinks it is getting close to panic time if I am reading this quote correctly.

“I don’t know,” Baker said. “I don’t know how many more changes we have. Walt (Jocketty) will be there in Atlanta tonight. We’ll try to figure this thing out. We can’t be sinking too much deeper, too much faster.”

malcontent
05-26-2011, 06:33 PM
Call up Frazier and Chris V.

Put Chris V. at SS and go with Fraizer at third for a series and see what happens.

Why CV and not ZC (at SS)?

malcontent
05-26-2011, 06:35 PM
It sounds as if Dusty thinks it is getting close to panic time if I am reading this quote correctly.
Yep. I don't know why a lot of RZers aren't sensing the end-times lately.

I know I am. I was afraid Marcum was gonna do really well.

brm7675
05-26-2011, 06:42 PM
Why CV and not ZC (at SS)?

Right now I think CV is a bit more ready that Zach is...not much but a bitter better, plus I believe he is a bit more versitile in where he can all play.