PDA

View Full Version : Do long socks have anything to do with a pitcher's success?

jhiller21
05-27-2011, 11:18 PM
Noticed Leake came back tonight sporting the red legs, so to speak. Bill Bray has always been a proponent of wearing the long socks as well as many other pitchers.

I always thought a pitcher like Arroyo might benefit from wearing them (with the high kick and all), it could certainly mess with a batter's concentration and eye level.

R_Webb18
05-27-2011, 11:21 PM
really?

jt4prez
05-27-2011, 11:28 PM
I think high socks are just that; high socks. I'm highly doubt that there is any sort of correlation between high socks and winning. Nevertheless, wearing our socks high looks awesome with our uniforms, and in particular with the home uni. Hopefully Janish, and now Leake, can get more of the team to wear their socks high.

jhiller21
05-27-2011, 11:28 PM
really?

Yes, really. As much as hitters have used them to establish the bottom of the strike zone, pitchers have used them to give the batter another quick distraction when the ball comes plateward.

jhiller21
05-27-2011, 11:36 PM
It's sort of the same ethos of a guy like Dempster waggling his glove during his windup. You show the hitter a little something he hasn't seen regularly.

Maybe it works, maybe not... it's up for discussion.

BluegrassRedleg
05-28-2011, 01:13 AM
Other than it being awesome? No. :)

BAKER12
05-28-2011, 01:39 AM
Long socks, not in style, look ridiculous in my opinion. That stated, can not imagine socks have anything to do with performance. Same with facial hair, earrings, hairstyle.

jhiller21
05-28-2011, 02:22 AM
Take into consideration what the hitter sees when the pitch is made. A fully white or gray leg, or a big colored sock flying down towards the mound.

It might sound stupid, but if you're trying to hit a 90mph fastball...

BluegrassRedleg
05-28-2011, 04:18 AM
Long socks, not in style, look ridiculous in my opinion. That stated, can not imagine socks have anything to do with performance. Same with facial hair, earrings, hairstyle.

Looking like a ballplayer is never ridiculous. Love it when they look like true Redlegs.

Screw George Hendricks bringing in the pants-on-the-shoes look. :thumbdown:

Reds
05-28-2011, 11:22 AM
yeah it might sound dumb but if it works/distracts a batter 1/1000 times it's still a plus.

It's like wearing black pants in hockey so the puck blends in with the goalies pads and pants and makes a video review every five or so years inconclusive, it's not something you really think about but every once in a blue moon it works out to you advantage.

BAKER12
05-28-2011, 01:08 PM
Looking like a ballplayer is never ridiculous. Love it when they look like true Redlegs.

Screw George Hendricks bringing in the pants-on-the-shoes look. :thumbdown:

It is 2011 not 1971, the way guys wear their uniforms has changed. If you are saying "looking like a ballplayer" means conforming to the norm, then the few guys who wear high socks should adjust to the times.

jhiller21
05-29-2011, 02:41 PM
yeah it might sound dumb but if it works/distracts a batter 1/1000 times it's still a plus.

It's like wearing black pants in hockey so the puck blends in with the goalies pads and pants and makes a video review every five or so years inconclusive, it's not something you really think about but every once in a blue moon it works out to you advantage.

This is pretty much what I meant.

I'm not saying the long socks will turn a guy like Mike Leake into the next Greg Maddux, but like you said, if it works one pitch out of a thousand, it's worth it.

Players are too concerned with looks. Back in the day they wore long socks to define the strike zone at the plate, and emphasize their leg kicks while pitching.