PDA

View Full Version : Starting Pitching = Problems

Vottomatic
05-28-2011, 08:46 PM
Arroyo needs to be DL'ed. He's not healthy, obviously.
Volquez sent down because he's a liability.
Bailey on the DL for the 2nd time this season.

That leaves Cueto, Wood, and Leake (already sent down once).

On one hand, I'm thankful for the experienced depth. On the other hand, it's definitely a concern.

We do have guys who were primarily starters in the minors in Maloney and Lecure. Also, Chad Reineke has pitched pretty well at triple A last year and this year. He's supposed to come up for a game. I guess they want to leave Lecure in the bullpen, plus he's got a forearm issue right now.

I guess we use our depth or is it time for a trade? Hmmm. We still don't have a #1. :confused:

Maker_84
05-28-2011, 10:22 PM
nor will we ever have a #1 because Jocketty is a dumbf***

The DARK
05-28-2011, 11:21 PM

Name a scenario in which we'll be able to get one by the trade deadline. The situation is always the same: they aren't there, or we can't afford to pay them. That's part of playing in Cincinnati. We have to trust our prospects.

BAKER12
05-28-2011, 11:28 PM

Walt and Dusty are not the problem, they are pros and have proven time and time again that they produce good baseball teams. Having an ace is sweet, having 5 healthy very good starters is also nice. When healthy this is a very good baseball team. The team is not healthy, bashing Walt and Dusty is ridiculous.

Maker_84
05-28-2011, 11:34 PM
Walt and Dusty are not the problem, they are pros and have proven time and time again that they produce good baseball teams. Having an ace is sweet, having 5 healthy very good starters is also nice. When healthy this is a very good baseball team. The team is not healthy, bashing Walt and Dusty is ridiculous.

even when they were healthy they weren't that good

Krawhitham
05-28-2011, 11:46 PM

They do not have #1 money plus they do not want to give up 5 prospects to get one

Krawhitham
05-28-2011, 11:49 PM

All were healthy for about 2 weeks. May 4th - 17th. They were 11 - 2 during that time

Vottomatic
05-29-2011, 08:36 AM
Mark Buehrle is a free agent at the end of this season. He is a White Sox icon and there would be a riot if they traded him. But the White Sox are going nowhere and they might be willing to get something for him and then re-sign him in the offseason.

He's a total workhorse, pitching 200+ innings per season for like the past 8 or 9. Innings eater and keeps you in games, which would relieve our bullpen somewhat. Makes $14M this season........cheaper than some other options. Currently has a 3.91 e.r.a. pitching for a bad team in the American League.

Not my first choice, but I'm looking around at the non-contenders for possible trade partners.

Vottomatic
05-29-2011, 08:42 AM
Another crazy trade idea with the White Sox.

Let me preface this by saying that I know Votto won't move to LF. BUT........

Trade for Konerko (currently hitting .293, 10 HR's, 38 rbi) to play 1B and move Votto to LF. Konerko is a right hand power bat signed for only 2 seasons. White Sox have the struggling Adam Dunn DHing and could move him to 1B. Sox get future prospects and salary relief. Reds get Dusty's preferred right hand power bat for the 4-hole to protect Joey. Konerko making $12M this season and $13.5M in '12 and then a free agent.

Of course, Joey won't move to LF, but it's an off the wall idea.

Vottomatic
05-29-2011, 08:52 AM
Orioles Jeremy Guthrie is making just under $6M this season and heads to arbitration next year. Dude has pitched 200+ innings last 2 seasons and currently has a sub-4.00 e.r.a. pitching in the AL. 32 year old righty and former 1st round pick of the O's. Another innings eater who keeps you in games. Also typically has a low WHIP (currently 1.15).

Another guy to consider to relieve our bullpen of being overworked.

Vottomatic
05-29-2011, 08:55 AM
Another O's pitcher, Zach Britton. 23 year old lefty making the minimum which means they probably won't trade him. Former 3rd pick. Currently has a 2.35 e.r.a. and 1.12 WHIP starting in the AL. Averaging 6.5 innings per start (10 starts, 65 IP).

Stray
05-29-2011, 12:58 PM
We're not trading for a first baseman to move our current reigning MVP to left field. I'm not a baseball guru or anything, but I would be willing to bet the farm that will never happen.

Pitching is definitely a concern right now and we're going to need a couple of guys to step up for a while till we can get some guys back. And I definitely agree that Arroyo needs to be reevaluated and possibly placed on the DL. We need him to be right.

brm7675
05-29-2011, 02:03 PM

How can you say that, the numbers say different.

brm7675
05-29-2011, 02:05 PM
Another crazy trade idea with the White Sox.

Let me preface this by saying that I know Votto won't move to LF. BUT........

Trade for Konerko (currently hitting .293, 10 HR's, 38 rbi) to play 1B and move Votto to LF. Konerko is a right hand power bat signed for only 2 seasons. White Sox have the struggling Adam Dunn DHing and could move him to 1B. Sox get future prospects and salary relief. Reds get Dusty's preferred right hand power bat for the 4-hole to protect Joey. Konerko making $12M this season and $13.5M in '12 and then a free agent.

Of course, Joey won't move to LF, but it's an off the wall idea.

Why would you move your best player to a position he has never played? That makes no sense.

texasdave
05-29-2011, 02:15 PM

This is exactly right and the numbers bear that out. Reds' starters have an ERA over 5. 2nd worst in the NL; 3rd worst in the majors.
The little two-week run when everyone was healthy at the same time is meaningless. Are we expected to be that if even one member of the five-man rotation is hurt the others are just going to fall apart? Crazy.
We can assume that every starter that has taken the ball has been healthy on that day. And the numbers don't lie. They have failed miserably as a group.

brm7675
05-29-2011, 02:30 PM
This is exactly right and the numbers bear that out. Reds' starters have an ERA over 5. 2nd worst in the NL; 3rd worst in the majors.
The little two-week run when everyone was healthy at the same time is meaningless. Are we expected to be that if even one member of the five-man rotation is hurt the others are just going to fall apart? Crazy.
We can assume that every starter that has taken the ball has been healthy on that day. And the numbers don't lie. They have failed miserably as a group.

They have failed as a group because they haven't been a group or have had health issues. When 3 of your main guys are fighting health issues you are going to have problems.

texasdave
05-29-2011, 04:09 PM
They have failed as a group because they haven't been a group or have had health issues. When 3 of your main guys are fighting health issues you are going to have problems.

They have failed because, when healthy, they have stunk up the mound. If you have five pitchers pitching well and one goes down the performances of the other four should not be affected. To suggest that the only way every member of a five-man rotation can only pitch well is if the everyone is healthy is ludicrous.

Old NDN
05-30-2011, 08:56 AM
Is this rash of pitching injuries just bad luck, or is it due to something else? Could the workout/exercise/stretching regimen designed by the club be affecting these guys? Surely, someone inside the organization has looked into this possibility.

Vottomatic
05-30-2011, 09:05 AM
Is this rash of pitching injuries just bad luck, or is it due to something else? Could the workout/exercise/stretching regimen designed by the club be affecting these guys? Surely, someone inside the organization has looked into this possibility.

Dusty is killing the pitching arms. :D

Old NDN
05-30-2011, 03:45 PM
Dusty is killing the pitching arms. :D

Yeah, poor Fisher. I wonder if he gets a bonus for taking a couple for the team? All that quantity (over quality) pitching has been depleted. Reinforcements on the way?

brm7675
05-30-2011, 04:09 PM

With Homer I just his body and style of motion is going to continue to cause him health issues. With Bronson I think this team made the bad choice and didn't DL him at the start of the season and allow him to get over or atleast get better from teh Mono. EV isn't a health issue but a mental/mechanical issue and Chapman ISN'T A BULLPEN PITCHER. Not sure how you break a rib sneezing, but Malloney did. As for Sam L, still gotta wonder what is up with him. I think it's fair to think that both Wood and Leake are going to struggle a bit in their second season. As for Johnny, we can only hope the health issues are behind him. I think overall the bullpen is just fine.

markymark69
05-30-2011, 04:13 PM

Maker,

I'm not the moderator and maybe it isn't my place - but I would prefer the language to kept a little cleaner. That type of name-calling is not necessary. I get that you don't like Walt and you are free to voice that - but at least have some respect for those who do not wish to read, hear or speak that type of language.