PDA

View Full Version : Worried about the path the Reds are on so far?

jwmann2
05-30-2011, 03:16 PM
All too often in past seasons have we seen the Cardinals take a 7 or 8 game lead and just coast the rest of the season to a Division title. I know it is not even June yet, but the Reds have proven that they still cannot hang with the Phillies, our likely opponent if we were to win the Central.

Where do they go from here? The Pirates have our number. We drew the AL East this year for inter-league play. Worst of all, we are at the bottom of the NL in almost every single pitching category. The only bright spots this year thus far are Bruce and Votto, so glad we have the locked up for some years to come.

brm7675
05-30-2011, 03:32 PM
All too often in past seasons have we seen the Cardinals take a 7 or 8 game lead and just coast the rest of the season to a Division title. I know it is not even June yet, but the Reds have proven that they still cannot hang with the Phillies, our likely opponent if we were to win the Central.

Where do they go from here? The Pirates have our number. We drew the AL East this year for inter-league play. Worst of all, we are at the bottom of the NL in almost every single pitching category. The only bright spots this year thus far are Bruce and Votto, so glad we have the locked up for some years to come.

I am unclear, we smacked around 2 of their top pitchers, won a game in Philly and we can't "hang" with them?

Maldez
05-30-2011, 05:19 PM
Didn't the Reds sweep the Cardinals in a three-game series at GAB earlier this year? Didn't we win the Central Division last year? Those sound like good reasons to keep following this team. Maybe Cincy isn't quite ready to win it all but worry-wart, hand-wringing fans aggravate me.

BluegrassRedleg
05-30-2011, 05:30 PM
Disappointed with the current record, but not worried at all about their ability to win this division. A few things need to happen (on and off the field) to make that happen, but I'm optimistic.

webbbj
05-30-2011, 06:26 PM
losing 3 out of 4 to the phillies is not the end of the world. yes we made some mistakes and should won atleast 2 but losing on the road to them does not mean we cant hang with them.

jwmann2
05-30-2011, 11:07 PM
Somehow everyone chose to ignore the fact that we can't beat the Pittsburgh Pirates when responding to my thread.

Stray
05-30-2011, 11:59 PM
I think there have been more bright spots than just Bruce and Votto. To be totally honest, even though Votto has been outstanding, he hasn't been as productive as I was hoping. I realize a lot of it isn't his fault since he has very little protection. Brandon Phillips has had an amazing year so far and so has our bullpen for the most part. Cordero, Ondrusek, Bray, and after a rough start Masset have been solid.

To answer your thread, no I'm not worried about our path. We lost 10 of 12 and never dropped below .500...we were in 1st place recently, and with everything that has happened we're only 4 games out at the end of May.

If you had told me before the season about all of our injuries and problems that we'd have in the first two months I would have gladly taken a game over .500 and 4 out. We're fine.

Krawhitham
05-31-2011, 01:30 AM
but the Reds have proven that they still cannot hang with the Phillies, our likely opponent if we were to win the Central.

They one of 3 and took another to the 19th inning, I think that is hanging with the Phillies

Tadasimha
05-31-2011, 09:25 AM
Somehow everyone chose to ignore the fact that we can't beat the Pittsburgh Pirates when responding to my thread.

Because it's not that big a deal - there's always one team that is going to give a team fits. Sometimes it's a team that isn't very good, sometimes it's a team that is up-and-coming. It happens, doesn't mean the Reds are doomed.

texasdave
05-31-2011, 09:38 AM
Hold on a second. Everyone keeps saying don't panic, it's a marathon. There are ups and downs. Teams have good stretches and bad stretches. Etc. And then they want to point to a four-game series as somehow proof that the Reds are a good team? Can't buy it. Nope.

bigredmechanism
05-31-2011, 09:50 AM
I think 2 things of the situation:

1. The Reds are not the best team in the NL. I wrongly was thinking this after the first week of the season.
2. The Reds are not nearly as bad as they have looked the last few weeks.

brm7675
05-31-2011, 10:58 AM

So what...the Brewers can't beat us. so what if the Pirates have our number what does it matter, we don't play them that much more this season anyway...

Vottomatic
05-31-2011, 04:58 PM
Since May 18th, the Reds have lost 5 one-run games. They went 3-10. Very easily could have been 8-5 or 7-6 or 6-7 or.......:D