PDA

View Full Version : Trade Idea 1-1

will5979
05-31-2011, 01:04 PM
Interesting trade idea with NYM for Reyes, how many of you would be willing to pull the trigger on this deal.

Chapman for Reyes with both teams taking on the others contracts.

I would do if and only if we could sign Reyes through the 2012 season with an option for the 2013 season. I'm starting to believe that Chapman is just a tad overrated anyways.

brm7675
05-31-2011, 01:07 PM
How is chapman overrated? Also I don't make that deal

will5979
05-31-2011, 01:09 PM
How is chapman overrated? Also I don't make that deal

Control problems, not finding the strike zone, only being able to throw a fastball. Yeah its impressive that he can hit 105 mph but what good is it going to with him not being an effective starter? Seems like we wasted a lot of money on this guy to be a middle reliever/AAA phenom.

brm7675
05-31-2011, 01:17 PM
Control problems, not finding the strike zone, only being able to throw a fastball. Yeah its impressive that he can hit 105 mph but what good is it going to with him not being an effective starter? Seems like we wasted a lot of money on this guy to be a middle reliever/AAA phenom.

He has more then a fastball, his problem is finding a 3rd pitch. He had no problem finding the strike zone last season or the first month of this season. The problem is he is a lump of clay that needs to be molded and that takes some time.

DocRed
05-31-2011, 01:19 PM
Tough call. In essence you are trading the potential future for the present. I don't think I would do it unless the Met's kicked in half his salary. Even then I'm not sure I would do it as I think pitching is a bigger concern for us. On the other hand I am not convinced Chapman will become a superstar, but that would kill me if he did become one on another team.

Krawhitham
05-31-2011, 01:29 PM
Interesting trade idea with NYM for Reyes, how many of you would be willing to pull the trigger on this deal.

I would do if and only if we could sign Reyes through the 2012 season with an option for the 2013 season. I'm starting to believe that Chapman is just a tad overrated anyways.

Trade Chapman for 2.5 seasons of Reyes?

No thanks

will5979
05-31-2011, 01:40 PM
Tough call. In essence you are trading the potential future for the present. I don't think I would do it unless the Met's kicked in half his salary. Even then I'm not sure I would do it as I think pitching is a bigger concern for us. On the other hand I am not convinced Chapman will become a superstar, but that would kill me if he did become one on another team.

Agreed, its going to kill me if we sit on this guy for 5 years and nothing ever develops, but if we trade him and he becomes a Cy Young winner then we'll be depressed.

signalhome
05-31-2011, 02:25 PM
If Reyes can be locked up for a reasonable deal through 2013, I absolutely make the deal. The Reds have a three-year window in which to really compete, one would think (I doubt Votto is sticking around). I'd rather have one of the best shortstops in baseball for the next few years than to wait and hope Chapman develops into an ace; if the plan is to keep him in the bullpen for the remainder of his contract, then I'm in even more favor of making the deal, as that's too much to pay for a reliever.

I really like Chapman, and I think he has a very good chance to develop into a top-of-the-rotation guy. However, I think taking a sure thing like Reyes is the smart move instead of hoping a prospect continues to develop.

Of course, if the Reds are only getting Reyes for a year, or even 1.5 years, then I'd be a little more reluctant to pull the trigger.

Chris Sabowned
05-31-2011, 02:40 PM
I don't want to sell the farm for a SS until Zach Cozart gets a chance at the big league level.

Vottomatic
05-31-2011, 04:44 PM
I'm also in the camp that thinks Chapman is overrated.

The guy can't find the strikezone and has basically one pitch he can count on. And he's also having shoulder fatigue problems.

I trade him now for something valuable.

wlf WV
05-31-2011, 07:09 PM
If we get him for 3 years, I throw in Janish.

vottofan4life
05-31-2011, 08:47 PM
Just saw that the Mets are more likely to trade David Wright...so why not put a package around Edinson Volquez, Yonder Alonso, Chris Heisey, Todd Frazier and perhaps Gomes for David Wright and move him to left field and he can be that clean up batter...maybe the mets can sneak johan santana or jon niese or r.a. dickey in there too

Krawhitham
05-31-2011, 11:27 PM
106 MPH can not be overrated

Spaxspore
06-01-2011, 12:04 PM
Control Control Control, you can throw as hard as you want. But it doesnt matter if you cant throw it over the dish. But i agree, give the Minor leaguer a chance before doing anything. Janish and Rennty are not the answer right now. Janish seems to be the perfect guy off the bench and spot starts, but he doesnt have what it takes for everyday starts.

Natty Redlocks
06-01-2011, 12:38 PM
I wouldn't be against moving Chapman for the right piece, but I have a feeling he's not going anywhere; they've invested a lot in him and there's probably egos and crap involved too.

Vottomatic
06-01-2011, 02:18 PM
106 MPH can not be overrated

They used to say that about 7 footers in basketball too. Then I saw BJ Grove (7') play at UC. And Shagari Alleyne (7'2") play at UK. And Jason Bennett (7'4") play at Kansas State.

106 mph outside, inside, high, in the dirt.........are still called a BALL.

smixsell
06-01-2011, 02:28 PM

Utter rubbish.

smixsell
06-01-2011, 02:31 PM
Just saw that the Mets are more likely to trade David Wright...so why not put a package around Edinson Volquez, Yonder Alonso, Chris Heisey, Todd Frazier and perhaps Gomes for David Wright and move him to left field and he can be that clean up batter...maybe the mets can sneak johan santana or jon niese or r.a. dickey in there too

If we get Wright he will be our new first string 3B.

Unfortunately I think Scottie will probably never regain his form of early last year. Injuries and age seem to have finally caught up with him.

SidneySlicker
06-01-2011, 04:41 PM
I'd rather have David Wright personally. While Janish isn't great offensively, he doesn't have to be. I think he's a .250 hitter which is sufficient in my mind and I think Sappelt will be in Cincy next year to relieve the leadoff problem. Also Reyes has had his issues with injuries and I wouldn't be ready to gamble with that.

5TimeWSChamps
06-01-2011, 05:03 PM
Wright's interesting

6 years, $55 m signed through 2012 with a 2013 team option looks like a good contract for the Reds until you realize that $29 mil of that is due in 2011/2012 and the 2013 team option is for $16 million

He's most likely out of our price range

Wonderful Monds
06-01-2011, 06:53 PM
No way I do that trade. I would laugh at that proposal if I were Jocketty actually.

Chapman is a big part of the team's potential success for the next handful of years. He's nowhere near a finished product, even if he doesn't have control at the moment. We wouldn't have the payroll room to sign Reyes past this year, and trading Chapman for a rental would be one of the most shortsighted moves in baseball.