PDA

View Full Version : Bring Volquez Back Up

arkimadee
05-31-2011, 09:04 PM
This guy hasn't pitched bad tonight but I honestly like my chances better with Volquez on the mound. With Arroyo sucking, Bailey hurt, LeCure hurt, Maloney hurt, you need Volquez up at this level. If all those guys weren't hurt I would say that Volquez stays down but you have to take your chances with him.. What do you all think?

Krawhitham
05-31-2011, 09:11 PM
no

BAKER12
05-31-2011, 11:38 PM
no

Reason for no?

uteroasis
06-01-2011, 12:09 AM
I think you let Volquez make his next scheduled start in Louisville on Thursday June 2. We have Leake, Arroyo, Cueto and Wood to pitch us through Sunday. Leake, with the off-day Thursday, will be able to pitch Monday on his regular rest.

My guess is Volquez starts next Tuesday against the Cubs.

Krawhitham
06-01-2011, 10:36 AM
Reason for no?

1) He needs a checkup from the neck up, you bring him back up because of injuries he does not learn anything. He needs to make at least 4-5 starts in AAA

2) 6.35 ERA

3) 18 ERA in 1st inning

brm7675
06-01-2011, 11:36 AM
1) He needs a checkup from the neck up, you bring him back up because of injuries he does not learn anything. He needs to make at least 4-5 starts in AAA

2) 6.35 ERA

3) 18 ERA in 1st inning

What he said...

brm7675
06-01-2011, 11:37 AM
I let Reinke go against the Cubs and see what happens. Lets remember he was facing one of hte best hitting teams last night, i think he might be a tad more successful vs. the hurthing cubbies next week.

Spaxspore
06-01-2011, 12:00 PM

2) 6.35 ERA

3) 18 ERA in 1st inning

This

Reinke wasnt that bad, not until that routine play turned out to be an error, and edgars lack of hustle made the runner got to second leading off the innnig. If you take that innning out he would have been alot better than his finished stat line.

ntorvik
06-03-2011, 12:40 PM
I don't care to see Volquez back up for another 2-3 weeks. At least then I would feel like he actually had to do some work to earn his way back up into the majors. We are filling in ok, pitchers just need to settle down a bit. Jay Bruce = Beast Mode.

SidneySlicker
06-03-2011, 12:50 PM
I agree with most here. Let him pitch in Louisville for a while and try and get his head straight. Self admittedly my expectations of success are low because this is who he is. He's been this way since his first season in the bigs except the year where he was allegedly on roids.

Fon Duc Tow
06-03-2011, 12:57 PM
1) He needs a checkup from the neck up,

Only if he is allowed to scamper home, otherwise... its gonna bee gone!!!!

:D

mr. red
06-03-2011, 01:05 PM
It's just funny to think that we traded Josh Hamilton for him. I would take 100 games out of Hamilton over a completely healthy EV. Can you imagine that lineup with Hamilton in it (assuming everything else stayed the same).

Stubbs
Phillips
Votto
Hamilton
Bruce
Rolen
Hernanigan
Bat boy

signalhome
06-03-2011, 01:14 PM
I let Reinke go against the Cubs and see what happens. Lets remember he was facing one of hte best hitting teams last night, i think he might be a tad more successful vs. the hurthing cubbies next week.

I'm unsure of why you think the Cubs are so much worse than the Brewers; they're pretty much neck and neck in most statistical categories.

lonewolf371
06-03-2011, 02:09 PM
I'm unsure of why you think the Cubs are so much worse than the Brewers; they're pretty much neck and neck in most statistical categories.
The crap of the Brewers lineup has been much stinkier than the crap of the Cubs lineup. But the top of the order, 1-4 isn't even close.

texasdave
06-04-2011, 10:18 AM
From FayBlog:

Right-hander Edinson Volquez could return to the Reds’ rotation for his next start.

“There’s a good chance,” manager Dusty Baker said today. “Our reports are that he’s throwing the ball well.” Pitching coach Bryan Price said the Reds staff still wants to sit down and talk before deciding on when Volquez will return. On paper, Volquez’ next start could come in the Cubs series next week.

I'd say the odds are good that Reineke gets skipped and Volquez slides into the rotation. Reineke is a feel-good story, but if the Reds are going to contend it is with Edinson Volquez in the rotation and pitching well.

Stray
06-04-2011, 10:50 AM
I think he had like 4 walks in 6+ innings in his last start. That isn't great by any means but I would be okay with that kinda ratio, he's never going to be a control pitcher.

We need him to pitch well so I hope that temporary demotion did some good.

Krawhitham
06-04-2011, 11:53 AM
115 pitches in 6.1 innings, he has not learned a damn thing

4 walks in AAA is 6+ walk in the majors, AAA kids swing at bad pitches

KOBasinger
06-04-2011, 12:56 PM
It's just funny to think that we traded Josh Hamilton for him. I would take 100 games out of Hamilton over a completely healthy EV. Can you imagine that lineup with Hamilton in it (assuming everything else stayed the same).

Stubbs
Phillips
Votto
Hamilton
Bruce
Rolen
Hernanigan
Bat boy

Stop with that talk already.

texasdave
06-04-2011, 04:17 PM
Edinson Volquez will return from Triple-A and probably will start Tuesday against the Cubs, Reds manager Dusty Baker said today.

Mike Leake would now start Monday instead of Tuesday, with Chad Reineke bumped from his scheduled Monday start.

“This is all in theory,” Baker said.

Baker said he talked this morning with Mario Soto (special assistant to GM Walt Jocketty), who saw Volquez throw in Louisville.

“Mario said he threw the ball excellent down there,” Baker said.

No new news here.

lonewolf371
06-04-2011, 09:31 PM
I think he had like 4 walks in 6+ innings in his last start. That isn't great by any means but I would be okay with that kinda ratio, he's never going to be a control pitcher.

We need him to pitch well so I hope that temporary demotion did some good.
Lolwut? 4 walks in 6 innings is terrible.

tobttr
06-06-2011, 06:57 PM
There are other interpretations possible, but the only explanation for Volquez that makes any sense to me is that he is a head case. How else can a guy get hammered in every first inning (when the game is tight) then pitch well (when the pressure is off) in innings 2 - 5? Maybe the surgery is still a consideration, but I just don't see it.
No, please in the name of Brandon Claussen don't bring Mr. Volquez up until he has put together a string of outstanding outings in AAA. Otherwise don't even let him in the ballpark unless he has a ticket.

brm7675
06-06-2011, 07:02 PM
Wow...he got like what 2 starts in AAA? OMG can this franchise ever do something and do it right?

ntorvik
06-06-2011, 10:57 PM
tomorrow ought to be interesting...sigh...

signalhome
06-07-2011, 09:23 AM
There are other interpretations possible, but the only explanation for Volquez that makes any sense to me is that he is a head case. How else can a guy get hammered in every first inning (when the game is tight) then pitch well (when the pressure is off) in innings 2 - 5? Maybe the surgery is still a consideration, but I just don't see it.
No, please in the name of Brandon Claussen don't bring Mr. Volquez up until he has put together a string of outstanding outings in AAA. Otherwise don't even let him in the ballpark unless he has a ticket.

Volquez gives the Reds a better chance to win than Reineke. The Reds need wins, pronto. If everyone is healthy they would likely leave him in AAA, but as it is, they need him in the bigs.

Captain13
06-07-2011, 12:31 PM
Volquez gives the Reds a better chance to win than Reineke. The Reds need wins, pronto. If everyone is healthy they would likely leave him in AAA, but as it is, they need him in the bigs.

100% agree. The best chance to win is to have EV go every 5th day. Right now the team just doesn't have a lot of other options.

Kingspoint
06-07-2011, 02:53 PM
This guy hasn't pitched bad tonight but I honestly like my chances better with Volquez on the mound. With Arroyo sucking, Bailey hurt, LeCure hurt, Maloney hurt, you need Volquez up at this level. If all those guys weren't hurt I would say that Volquez stays down but you have to take your chances with him.. What do you all think?

With all of the other injuries, they were forced to bring him back up too soon. We'll roll him out there, watch him struggle to get through six innings, and use 3 or 4 more bullpen arms.

Kingspoint
06-07-2011, 10:59 PM
Earlier today from Larry Dobrow and his "Power Rankings":

18th (Pirates...16th) Beyond "but ... but ... but we have better players!," there is no persuasive case that Reds fans can make right now that they're superior to the Pirates. That's gotta sting ... To clarify: The accumulation of pitching depth is a wonderful thing; the accumulation of mediocre pitching depth is not. Whether we realized it or not back in March, the Reds are trending toward the latter ... It's nice to see Edinson Volquez back after his rehab/deprogramming stint in the minors. The Reds will enjoy the fruits of it when reporters ask about his start and he responds, in a clipped monotone, "My teammates provided much mirthful support. I appreciate their contributions. Any insinuation to the contrary is hurtful and inaccurate."

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/story/15208758/power-rankings-draft-is-a-crapshoot-while-the-cubs-are-just-lousy

Kingspoint
06-07-2011, 11:00 PM
With all of the other injuries, they were forced to bring him back up too soon. We'll roll him out there, watch him struggle to get through six innings, and use 3 or 4 more bullpen arms.Nice to be wrong. He went 7 strong innings in less than 100 pitches giving up only 1 run.

lonewolf371
06-08-2011, 01:48 AM
Nice to be wrong. He went 7 strong innings in less than 100 pitches giving up only 1 run.
That's the line Volquez posts when he isn't walking billions of batters.

tobttr
06-08-2011, 09:46 AM

...and pitching against a dreadful Cub team that's on a long losing streak. I just hope he can pitch that well next time out.

signalhome
06-08-2011, 09:53 AM

The Cubs walk less than any other team in baseball. Shouldn't be surprising that he didn't walk many batters.

It was because of this that I picked up Volquez for a spot start in fantasy baseball; his problem is walks, the Cubs just don't walk. That move worked out alright. :D

texasdave
06-08-2011, 10:07 AM
The Cubs walk less than any other team in baseball. Shouldn't be surprising that he didn't walk many batters.

It was because of this that I picked up Volquez for a spot start in fantasy baseball; his problem is walks, the Cubs just don't walk. That move worked out alright. :D

Exactly. The Cubs swing at more pitches outside the zone and more pitches overall than any other team in baseball. For the season EV has thrown a strike on 59.4% of his pitches. Last night against the hacktastic Cubs it was only 58.1%. The Cubs simply won't let a Volquez-type pitcher pitch himself into trouble.
On the bright side though. Pitching deep into a game may do wonders for his confidence. And maybe the game plan was to not throw strikes because the Cubs are going to swing at it anyway. In any case, it was good to see Volquez post a quality start. Nice job, EV. Now string a bunch together.

ntorvik
06-08-2011, 10:21 AM
I'll believe it if it happens again. You heard Zambrano, the Cubs are like a AAA team anyways, so that is the kind of team EV was going up against previously.

RedLegsToday
06-08-2011, 10:43 AM
You heard Zambrano, the Cubs are like a AAA team anyways

Speaking of Zambrano, anyone interested in getting him? signed through next year, for 18M. He's talking his way out of Chicago. Maybe the Reds can get the Cubs to pay some of his salary for next year?

ntorvik
06-08-2011, 11:41 AM
I think I would be ok with giving him a shot, it can't hurt right? Our rotation sucks right now anyways.

bounty37h
06-08-2011, 12:13 PM
Speaking of Zambrano, anyone interested in getting him? signed through next year, for 18M. He's talking his way out of Chicago. Maybe the Reds can get the Cubs to pay some of his salary for next year?

I wouldnt want him if he offered to pay us to play for the Reds.

Vottomatic
06-08-2011, 02:40 PM
I will give Volquez props. Maybe the Cubs swing at alot of pitches and didn't allow Volquez to get into trouble, but the top of their lineup is loaded with .300 hitters. If not for making $14.5M dollars this year, I wouldn't mind having Fukodome in LF with his .420 OBP and .310 batting average. Darwin Barney has a funny name, but can flat out hit. Starlin Castro makes me nervous everytime he bats. They said on one broadcast that he had the fewest amount of swings, last year, where he completely swung and missed.......meaning he makes alot of contact. Even if Ramirez has lost his power.......he's still hitting close to .290. And Blake Dewitt seems to own the Reds lately.

I think Volquez did pretty well to keep them down with that good hitting lineup.