PDA

View Full Version : Bruce breaking into the top 7, with a vengeance!

ntorvik
06-04-2011, 09:16 AM
Has anyone played better than Bruce in the last month? I know that everyone has been talking about how well Bautista is playing for the Blue Jays, blah blah etc...But hasn't Bruce been playing that well for the Reds? And maybe even a little bit better?
http://www.upperdeckreport.com/news_article/show/92049?referrer_id=290721

mckbearcat48
06-04-2011, 10:05 AM
Jay Bruce is one heck of a talent.

Vottomatic
06-04-2011, 11:21 AM
I heard an interview he did, and he finally said what I've been waiting to hear from him. They asked what did he change with his hitting approach, and he said he's not swinging at the pitches the pitcher wants him to swing at. He's making them throw a pitch he can hit.

He finally figured it out. Sweet.

I really think this is the difference in Jay Bruce.

UCBrownsfan
06-04-2011, 03:41 PM
The crazy thing with that list is 5 out of the 10 come from the Cards, Brewers and Reds, and the list doesn't include Votto or Pujols.

mckbearcat48
06-04-2011, 05:17 PM
The crazy thing with that list is 5 out of the 10 come from the Cards, Brewers and Reds, and the list doesn't include Votto or Pujols.

You are completely correct.

VottoFan54
06-04-2011, 06:22 PM

What's even crazier is that the NL Central doesn't have an elite World Series contending team despite all of those great players.

Also the team in the NL Central with the highest payroll (Cubs) don't have any players on that list.

Maker_84
06-04-2011, 08:25 PM
Jay Bruce is more talented than Votto

dubc47834
06-04-2011, 08:33 PM

Whoooa, don't go all crazy, let Bruce do it for a year or two. Then I would agree.:beerme:

Maker_84
06-04-2011, 08:46 PM
Whoooa, don't go all crazy, let Bruce do it for a year or two. Then I would agree.:beerme:

he's definately not as good right, but his overall potential is higher and that's what i meant

lonewolf371
06-04-2011, 09:21 PM
he's definately not as good right, but his overall potential is higher and that's what i meant
If Jay Bruce ever starts getting on base as much as Votto, then we can talk. Until then, it's easily Votto.

Nathan
06-04-2011, 11:08 PM

Jay Bruce is more talented than Votto. I'll say it too. And that's not a slight against Votto, either.

ntorvik
06-04-2011, 11:32 PM
I think, in regards to Bruce and Votto, that their talents are quite a bit different. Bruce was brought up and groomed to be our power hitting lefty, while Votto, although the power is nice, was brought up to hit for average, get on base, and lead this team. Am I wrong? Bruce's power/hitting talents are still a bit undiscovered, but Votto has qualities that Bruce just doesn't have in the clubhouse.

lonewolf371
06-05-2011, 01:21 AM
I think, in regards to Bruce and Votto, that their talents are quite a bit different. Bruce was brought up and groomed to be our power hitting lefty, while Votto, although the power is nice, was brought up to hit for average, get on base, and lead this team. Am I wrong? Bruce's power/hitting talents are still a bit undiscovered, but Votto has qualities that Bruce just doesn't have in the clubhouse.
Votto has slugged better and gotten on base more than Bruce every year of his major league career except this year, and I wouldn't be surprised if Votto slugs better again by the end of the season. That, and their on base rates are not even close. Votto is way ahead and he's been so the entire time they've been in the majors together.

jwmann2
06-05-2011, 01:28 AM
Would a rivalry ever come between these two? I doubt it, they are pretty professional. It crossed my mind the other day when I was thinking of the movie 61 about Mantle and Maris. Fans need to start chanting "MVP" when Bruce walks up to the plate.

BluegrassRedleg
06-05-2011, 01:31 AM
Was impressed with his approach against Kershaw today. That knock up the middle was a sweet swing. You wouldn't have seen that from him early last year or prior to that.

signalhome
06-06-2011, 08:26 AM
Bruce isn't comparable to Votto, at least not yet. He doesn't walk enough and his LD% is much too low; Bruce's BB/9 and LD% are both less than half of Votto's. Bruce likely has more power, even if SLG likely won't corroborate that -- since Votto's BA is so high, ISO (SLG - BA) is the better number to look at there. However, that difference in power in no way makes up for Votto's ridiculous ability to get on base.