PDA

View Full Version : Why anti youth..

brm7675
06-09-2011, 06:33 PM
I would be interested to know what both Walt's and Dusty's issues are with some of the young players we have on the team and why they don't want to seem to give them a shot. I know you want "veteran creaminess" on your team and you do need it, but when a number of those guys are either just not performing or are having health issues, why not see what your other kids can do?

I can of 3 maybe 4 players in the Reds system that have shown the ability to play on the AAA level, so with that shown and the positions they play not producing on the major league level, what is the 'harm' that can be done by giving them a shot? I mean can Heisey really produce worse then either Gomes or Lewis or the other guy we played out there?

At third, what are the chances that say a Frazier or even Fransico will produce worse then either Cairo or Rolen? Then we have SS and well I kinda find it hard that either Cozart or even Valeika would be putting up numbers worse then Janish or Edgar and both I think can probably play more then just SS.

To me this comes down to one thing....Fear. I think Dusty is afraid to give them a chance, I think he as a "players" mentality and that no matter what the vets can still play. As for Walt I think he allows Dusty just way to much control.

AintlifeGrande
06-09-2011, 08:29 PM
I have never understood what those in this organization think.Look at all the young talent the Cards did not hesitate to call up recently,who are for the most part contributing to the team.Very sad we have players in AAA all out killing the ball,and cant get a call up.

brm7675
06-10-2011, 11:14 AM
I have never understood what those in this organization think.Look at all the young talent the Cards did not hesitate to call up recently,who are for the most part contributing to the team.Very sad we have players in AAA all out killing the ball,and cant get a call up.

to me it is also wasting them. If Walt and Dusty don't feel they are prime time players yet, then Walt needs to be on the phone finding out what other teams do they they are and make some moves. Unlike wine, players are not going to gain in value as they age...

Who Dey Time
06-10-2011, 12:57 PM
I would be interested to know what both Walt's and Dusty's issues are with some of the young players we have on the team and why they don't want to seem to give them a shot. I know you want "veteran creaminess" on your team and you do need it, but when a number of those guys are either just not performing or are having health issues, why not see what your other kids can do?

I can of 3 maybe 4 players in the Reds system that have shown the ability to play on the AAA level, so with that shown and the positions they play not producing on the major league level, what is the 'harm' that can be done by giving them a shot? I mean can Heisey really produce worse then either Gomes or Lewis or the other guy we played out there?

At third, what are the chances that say a Frazier or even Fransico will produce worse then either Cairo or Rolen? Then we have SS and well I kinda find it hard that either Cozart or even Valeika would be putting up numbers worse then Janish or Edgar and both I think can probably play more then just SS.

To me this comes down to one thing....Fear. I think Dusty is afraid to give them a chance, I think he as a "players" mentality and that no matter what the vets can still play. As for Walt I think he allows Dusty just way to much control.

IMO, this is just another way to beat your dead horse on Heisey and the SS situation. But, if you actually look at the roster there are young players all over. Not even counting Bailey, 3 of your starting pitchers are 25 and under and a fourth, Volquez is 27. Four key contributors in the bullpen all under 30 (Arredondo, Bray, Masset, Ondrusek). Your everyday lineup has Stubbs, Bruce, Votto, Janish all under 30 and Phillips who will turn 30 this month. That is over half your 25-man roster under 30 and we have issues with young players???

And, even if I were to agree with your premise (which I absolutely do not), you also have to realize it isn't 2005, 2006, etc when the Reds were not a contender. The roster you have now is virtually the same roster that won the division last season and they are going to be given the benefit of the doubt when they struggle, as they should. If September is here and the Reds are toast, then play some of the AAA guys to see if something is there. But they should not and thankfully will not bring a guy up when you have a roster that has proven it can win at the MLB level.

You want Heisey in LF fine. You want to bring up someone to take over at SS fine. Just say that and don't mask it by claiming something that just doesn't come close to being factual.

Vottomatic
06-10-2011, 01:21 PM
IMO, this is just another way to beat your dead horse on Heisey and the SS situation. But, if you actually look at the roster there are young players all over. Not even counting Bailey, 3 of your starting pitchers are 25 and under and a fourth, Volquez is 27. Four key contributors in the bullpen all under 30 (Arredondo, Bray, Masset, Ondrusek). Your everyday lineup has Stubbs, Bruce, Votto, Janish all under 30 and Phillips who will turn 30 this month. That is over half your 25-man roster under 30 and we have issues with young players???

And, even if I were to agree with your premise (which I absolutely do not), you also have to realize it isn't 2005, 2006, etc when the Reds were not a contender. The roster you have now is virtually the same roster that won the division last season and they are going to be given the benefit of the doubt when they struggle, as they should. If September is here and the Reds are toast, then play some of the AAA guys to see if something is there. But they should not and thankfully will not bring a guy up when you have a roster that has proven it can win at the MLB level.

You want Heisey in LF fine. You want to bring up someone to take over at SS fine. Just say that and don't mask it by claiming something that just doesn't come close to being factual.

I agree. He's beating a dead horse at this point. This thread is like a skipping record. This has been already said many times in a bunch of threads.

:deadhorse:

brm7675
06-10-2011, 01:48 PM

Actually I am more along the lines of wanting to see Frazier up here along with Cozart and even Merresco. I would see what Frazier could do at 3rd and Cozart at SS and begin working Merresco into game action. Go with 3 catchers we have done it before. I would bring those three up and DFA Gomes/Edgar and Lewis and see what happens.

Vottomatic
06-10-2011, 02:51 PM
Actually I am more along the lines of wanting to see Frazier up here along with Cozart and even Merresco. I would see what Frazier could do at 3rd and Cozart at SS and begin working Merresco into game action. Go with 3 catchers we have done it before. I would bring those three up and DFA Gomes/Edgar and Lewis and see what happens.

I'm glad you're not the GM.

MrRed2127
06-10-2011, 03:04 PM
Not be grammar police, but at least spell the names right. Who is Merresco? Isn't it Mesoraco?

Why would we carry 3 catchers, with one being a rookie with zero major league experience and have him sit most games with the occasional spot start and pinch hit. Wouldn't it be best to play him most everyday in AAA. Catching isn't the problem right now.

bounty37h
06-10-2011, 03:40 PM
Is it time for RedsZone to add another board, a BRM7576 board so he can say the same thing over and over somewhere else? You complained and complained that Janish was the man and called everyone in the Reds org an idiot for not playing him. Oddly, I havent seen where you apologized and admitted you were wrong anywhere, just moved onto calling them idiots for other moves made/not made.

brm7675
06-10-2011, 03:51 PM
Not be grammar police, but at least spell the names right. Who is Merresco? Isn't it Mesoraco?

Why would we carry 3 catchers, with one being a rookie with zero major league experience and have him sit most games with the occasional spot start and pinch hit. Wouldn't it be best to play him most everyday in AAA. Catching isn't the problem right now.

I wouldn't have him sit most days. I would give him and Hanigan most of the starts, I would look move Ramon and otherwise give him a start at 1st every so often to give Votto a break.

brm7675
06-10-2011, 03:52 PM
Is it time for RedsZone to add another board, a BRM7576 board so he can say the same thing over and over somewhere else? You complained and complained that Janish was the man and called everyone in the Reds org an idiot for not playing him. Oddly, I havent seen where you apologized and admitted you were wrong anywhere, just moved onto calling them idiots for other moves made/not made.

I still want Janish in there 90% of the time, when at 100% the man can flat out play the position. I would bring Cozart up to be his backup.

brm7675
06-10-2011, 03:53 PM
I'm glad you're not the GM.

Why...how are we going to find out what our minor league players can do if not given the chance. You can't actually believe they would produce worse then Gomes, Edgar or Lewis are right now?

davereds24
06-10-2011, 04:42 PM

Not saying the Reds shouldn't bring up some guys like Cozart and Frazier, but the Cards are a terrible comparison. They are in first because of vets like Berkman, Holliday, Theriot, Molina and Lohse who have led the team while Pujols and Carp struggled.

Very rarely do you see a team full of rookies and arb players get into the playoffs.

mu4103
06-10-2011, 04:58 PM
Not saying the Reds shouldn't bring up some guys like Cozart and Frazier, but the Cards are a terrible comparison. They are in first because of vets like Berkman, Holliday, Theriot, Molina and Lohse who have led the team while Pujols and Carp struggled.

Very rarely do you see a team full of rookies and arb players get into the playoffs.

Yes, but it doesn't hurt to have some. This is pretty much the same team as last year and the vets aren't getting younger. Again Heisey over a Lewis/Gomes platoon might pay off. Having said that, the dead horse in my backyard is starting to stink. So, I am going to bury it or pony up and buy another.

Kingspoint
06-10-2011, 07:07 PM
We could use less youth on our pitching staff.

AintlifeGrande
06-10-2011, 08:27 PM

You notice I said ''contributing'' for the most part.Not carrying the team.And no it's not a terrible comparison if you understood what I meant.Has nothing to do with them being in first place,it's about them giving their young kids a chance to succeed at the next level.

AintlifeGrande
06-10-2011, 08:57 PM
Allen Craig 40 107 16 36 8 0 4 23 13 23 4 0 .336 .405 .523 .928

Jon Jay 62 140 16 45 6 0 4 14 10 25 5 2 .321 .379 .450 .829

Like I said,contributing in one way or the other to the team,when given a chance too.