PDA

View Full Version : And here come the Brewers!

Vottomatic
06-12-2011, 04:07 PM
Nearly everyone thought this divisional race would come down to the Reds and Cardinals. But look who is making the most noise right now? The Brew Crew. Fielder is on fire and their starting pitching is outdueling the Cards.

Interesting.

texasdave
06-12-2011, 04:08 PM
Grienke has the best xFIP in the league.

Vottomatic
06-12-2011, 04:10 PM
Grienke has the best xFIP in the league.

The Reds probably could have had Greinke.

texasdave
06-12-2011, 04:15 PM
The Reds probably could have had Greinke.

Walt "Glacier" Jocketty.

SidneySlicker
06-12-2011, 04:17 PM
Nearly everyone thought this divisional race would come down to the Reds and Cardinals. But look who is making the most noise right now? The Brew Crew. Fielder is on fire and their starting pitching is outdueling the Cards.

Interesting.

I still don't see them doing this for the rest of the season. Their offense though on a roll is streaky and their bullpen is shaky at best. It's a long season and alot can and will imo happen.

Fullboat
06-12-2011, 05:52 PM
It's you're typical horse race with the leader falling back a bit.Someone is going to win
this by a nose.

foxfire123
06-12-2011, 06:03 PM
Better them than the frakkin' Cardinals IMO. If we can't be in first, then ANYONE but the deadbirds.

We were at Fairmount Racetrack last night for a friend's 50th B-day. I managed to piss off half the party by cheering when the Brew Crew took the lead in last night's game. :D

Razzle
06-13-2011, 06:09 AM
For me this was only a matter of time. Outside of Philly nobody in the NL has as good of a rotation as they do. Their top three is phenomenal and Wolf and Narveson are solid 4/5 guys. I'm not in love with their lineup depth, but they've got 4 or 5 guys that can hit and hit well. If they could shore up SS with Jose Reyes (doubtful they can afford the prospects to do so) I think they win the division pretty easily. I don't think they are far and away the best team and they are an incredibly thin team so injuries would effect them more drastically than the Cards and Reds, but I still think as of now they are the team to beat.

I'm just glad that they essentially put all their chips in this year and will likely be back to a middle of the pack team in the next few years.

Old NDN
06-13-2011, 10:17 AM
The Brewers were willing to make deals to improve their weakness...pitching. The Reds stood pat. Virtually every team that was in the playoffs last year made changes via free agency or trades, in an attempt to improve their clubs. The Reds?

OGB
06-13-2011, 05:09 PM
Remember a few years ago when people said trading for Sabathia was going to hurt the long term viability of the club? Oh, and the can't miss prospect they gave up in the deal is now 26 years old and hitting .246?

Well, it turns out the Brewers as an organization were strong enough to add 2 more arms this offseason in an attempt to make another run at a world championship.

As a smaller market team, you're not going to get many legitimate oppurtunities to win it all. When that talent is there, you go all in. If your organization is going to remain successful when you're spending half the amount of money (or less than that) that the top clubs spend, then you need to draft and develop well every year. If you don't do that, nothing else matters. If you can pull that off, then you'll restock your organizations talent pool often enough to do what the Brewers are doing.

Kingspoint
06-13-2011, 05:11 PM
Didn't they pass us in the standings at least two weeks ago?

And, before the season began, it was supposed to be only a two-team race between the Brewers and the REDS, with the Cardinals having a "slight" chance to compete.

The REDS have had injuries.

The Cardinals have been a surprise.