PDA

View Full Version : So much for the "It's just a matter of pitching" argument

BluegrassRedleg
06-12-2011, 11:13 PM
Four well-pitched games in SF. 2-2 versus a team with a AAA lineup.

Highway to 81-81 rolls on.

This team needs help on BOTH ends. Come on, Walt! SOS!

Jefferson24
06-12-2011, 11:48 PM
Make a trade! The Reds value their players too much, nothing I have seen so far says "don't trade me, I'm an all star or soon will be". Make a move already.

50YrRedsFan
06-12-2011, 11:48 PM
I'm not going to get pumped up about our pitching in this series...we were facing a very POOR Giants offense. We'll see what happens in L.A. We get Kuroda, Kershaw, and Billingsley the next three games. If our pitching can't hold down the Dodgers, we will have another west coast nightmare. I don't see us scoring much in L.A.

Jefferson24
06-12-2011, 11:51 PM
Reyes might have made a big difference this series. Trade for him if you can sign him to an extension, it would be worth it.

Spaxspore
06-13-2011, 12:30 AM
cant afford him... why rent a player for 3 months and no guarantee that the team will make the post season. We have plenty of talent for cheap; that talent is in AAA. Make a move, any move for SS is an upgrade in what we are getting ATM.

Kingspoint
06-13-2011, 03:31 AM

There's two parts to pitching.....Starters and Bullpen.

The Starters did their job. The Bullpen pitched poorly.

There needs to be a Veteran Reliever to take the place of one of the youngsters like Fisher.

izzy's dad
06-13-2011, 08:11 AM
cant afford him... why rent a player for 3 months and no guarantee that the team will make the post season. We have plenty of talent for cheap; that talent is in AAA. Make a move, any move for SS is an upgrade in what we are getting ATM.

Agreed. Cozart, Alonso, Mesoraco would be cheaper alternatives then what we have now, and couldn't produce any less than what we are rolling out there on a daily basis. Reyes would cost way too much, and he WILL NOT SIGN IN CINCY, even if we found the money somewhere.

Vottomatic
06-13-2011, 08:17 AM
Yeah, Dusty and management can be really hardheaded at times. As a fan, it gets old.

UPRedsFan
06-13-2011, 10:34 AM
Clearly there is no good answer in left field right now. Fred Lewis is a disappointment. Not hitting to his career norms. Bring up Alonso and platoon him with Heisey or make a trade

ntorvik
06-13-2011, 10:44 AM
Need a shortstop, period. This team needs to act like it wants to compete in the playoffs, not just get there. Sack up and get a big-time SS.

bounty37h
06-13-2011, 10:47 AM
The right side of our team is fine/great, our left side needs a complete overhaul-ss, 3rd, and LF are all glaring weaknesses on this team.

BluegrassRedleg
06-13-2011, 02:55 PM
Need a shortstop, period. This team needs to act like it wants to compete in the playoffs, not just get there. Sack up and get a big-time SS.

I can live with Janish, provided you have a quality bat at LF and 3B. But you're getting nothing out of those other two traditional offensive positions, it really hurts. The Reds have been playing with a four- or five-man lineup most of the season. It's amazing because those five guys have been responsible for a lot of runs.

DGullett35
06-13-2011, 03:32 PM
Baser running didn't help last night but the bullpen is what really cost us..IMO this team misses Arthur Rhodes. He was really good last year in situations like bray's last night

lonewolf371
06-13-2011, 04:32 PM
The funny thing is that most of us would have been happy with splitting this series before it started.

brm7675
06-13-2011, 05:00 PM
I am unsure how anyone can be upset with the pitching in the four game SF series. Look at what happen last year on our visit to SF and how we did this year. The Reds would have swept this series had the bats not fallen asleep in two games and stupid baserunning been involved, pitching was not the problem in SF.

Kingspoint
06-13-2011, 05:05 PM
I can live with Janish, provided you have a quality bat at LF and 3B. But you're getting nothing out of those other two traditional offensive positions, it really hurts.

That is so true.

Kingspoint
06-13-2011, 05:07 PM
The funny thing is that most of us would have been happy with splitting this series before it started.

That was the goal.

The next goal is to win the series vs the Dodgers, 2 to 1. Losing it would be a disappointment.

Kingspoint
06-13-2011, 05:07 PM
I am unsure how anyone can be upset with the pitching in the four game SF series. Look at what happen last year on our visit to SF and how we did this year. The Reds would have swept this series had the bats not fallen asleep in two games and stupid baserunning been involved, pitching was not the problem in SF.

The bullpen pitching was poor. The Starters were great.

kfm
06-13-2011, 05:15 PM
Getting back to the purpose of this post. While I agree the offensive consistency is a problem and I think they have possible solutions at AAA that they should at least try. Aruging that four games proves a point is just not a good way to make decisions. If that is the case then we can prove or disprove just about anything.

Kingspoint
06-13-2011, 05:21 PM
Getting back to the purpose of this post. While I agree the offensive consistency is a problem and I think they have possible solutions at AAA that they should at least try. Aruging that four games proves a point is just not a good way to make decisions. If that is the case then we can prove or disprove just about anything.

I agree with Dusty's comments during yesterday's game:

"I can "feel" that this team is getting it together. It's something you can "feel". The starting pitching is coming around. The team can feel it and you can feel it in the team. The hitting is getting better."

Can't count the number of disappointing losses lately, but this team keeps rebounding....just like last year. I expect they'll rebound after Sunday's loss and take two of three from the Dodgers, traditionally a place they rarely win at. [Thought that the timing of the REDS going into Los Angeles and Aaron Harang going on the DL was interesting as Harang rarely pitched well there.] We don't have Harang pitching in Los Angeles this season, and that's a good thing.

izzy's dad
06-13-2011, 06:50 PM
I will agree with the "before the series started we would be glad to see a split" statement. But, I will say that having watched all four games I am greatly disappointed that they only won two of those games. Could have very easily been a sweep for the Reds. No doubt in my mind a consistant power bat in left field helps in this series. The starters pitched very well, no complaints on that front.

brm7675
06-13-2011, 07:18 PM
The bullpen pitching was poor. The Starters were great.

The Giants scored what like 9 runs total over the 4 games...again how was the pitching bad in this series? If you were to ask me before the series started that our pitching staff as a whole would only give up like 9 runs total I would say your crazy, but that is what happen. No...our in ability in games to bring runners home is what is hurting this team much more then the pitching.

brm7675
06-13-2011, 07:19 PM
I agree with Dusty's comments during yesterday's game:

"I can "feel" that this team is getting it together. It's something you can "feel". The starting pitching is coming around. The team can feel it and you can feel it in the team. The hitting is getting better."

Can't count the number of disappointing losses lately, but this team keeps rebounding....just like last year. I expect they'll rebound after Sunday's loss and take two of three from the Dodgers, traditionally a place they rarely win at. [Thought that the timing of the REDS going into Los Angeles and Aaron Harang going on the DL was interesting as Harang rarely pitched well there.] We don't have Harang pitching in Los Angeles this season, and that's a good thing.

I can "feel" it...well now I have heard it all....what a joke:thumbdown:

Kingspoint
06-13-2011, 07:47 PM
The Giants scored what like 9 runs total over the 4 games...again how was the pitching bad in this series? If you were to ask me before the series started that our pitching staff as a whole would only give up like 9 runs total I would say your crazy, but that is what happen. No...our in ability in games to bring runners home is what is hurting this team much more then the pitching.

The bullpen pitching was atrocious....absolutely HORRIBLE!

Starters went 29 innings giving up 4 runs. (1.24 ERA)

Bullpen went 5.2 innings giving up 5 runs. (7.94 ERA)

DocRed
06-13-2011, 07:53 PM
The bullpen pitching was atrocious....absolutely HORRIBLE!

Starters went 29 innings giving up 4 runs. (1.24 ERA)

Bullpen went 5.2 innings giving up 5 runs. (7.94 ERA)

And who decides who goes in? Dusty.......dude has no clue about pitchers.

Krawhitham
06-13-2011, 08:30 PM

And without good pitching they lose all 4 games

redsfanmia
06-13-2011, 08:57 PM
Two guys who would not cost much could really boost this team are Wilson Betimet from the Royals and Fukudome of the Cubs.

Kingspoint
06-14-2011, 12:56 AM
Two guys who would not cost much could really boost this team are Wilson Betimet from the Royals and Fukudome of the Cubs.

Always been a Betemit fan.