PDA

View Full Version : Josh Willingham

izzy's dad
06-13-2011, 07:04 PM
Brand new to Redszone so I feel somewhat awkward starting a new thread. But, I am curious to see what everyone thinks about Josh Willingham. I think he would bring a more consistant power threat from the right side of the plate than Gomes. He is only hitting .235 but has 10 home runs and 41 runs batted in. With half of his games in GABP I believe we could expect .255ish with 20 homers and 60 rbis. He doesn't make much, and I am sure the asking price wouldn't be too bad as far as prospects go. Not sure about his defense, but from the few Oakland games I have seen this year he seems passable in left. Currently he projects as a type A free agent this offseason. So if he isn't resigned there is the possibility of draft pick compensation. Seems like a reasonable move to improve a position in desperate need of offensive help. Thoughts?

powersackers
06-13-2011, 09:30 PM
He's a fine player and your logic is sound. I just wouldn't add to Dusty's log jam in Left. He already has Gomes, Heisey, Lewis, Sappelt, Frazier, Alonso all as options. Suppose we sign JW, I'd still play Heisey in front of him personally, and he would limit us seeing any of the youngsters I mentioned.

And you'd have to dump Gomes to bring JW onto the roster IMHO. Dusty/Walt will never do that in my estimation.

Who Dey Time
06-13-2011, 09:38 PM
He's a fine player and your logic is sound. I just wouldn't add to Dusty's log jam in Left. He already has Gomes, Heisey, Lewis, Sappelt, Frazier, Alonso all as options. Suppose we sign JW, I'd still play Heisey in front of him personally, and he would limit us seeing any of the youngsters I mentioned.

And you'd have to dump Gomes to bring JW onto the roster IMHO. Dusty/Walt will never do that in my estimation.

I don't know much about Oakland's farm system but I'd imagine that they would ask for Heisey if this deal were to be made since I don't envision any scenario where the Reds would trade one of our young pitchers to land Willingham.

Hillsdale87
06-13-2011, 10:06 PM
How is Willingham's defense? As much as Gomes is maligned here, and I am certainly not his biggest fan, I would expect him to put up those kind of numbers if he was playing every day. Their OPS is currently equal. I know Willingham has had more success in the past, so maybe he's just slumping right now. But I would be hesitant to trade a prospect of value for him at this point.