PDA

View Full Version : Reds Lead All of Majors in Road Attendance

jhc2010
06-17-2011, 12:12 PM
The Reds lead all major league clubs in attendance on the road - as of today, averaging about 1,000 more than the second place Yankees.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/attendance/_/sort/awayAvg

Is this just coincidence that Cincy has played in front of the largest crowds in the majors?

Tadasimha
06-17-2011, 12:18 PM
The Reds lead all major league clubs in attendance on the road - as of today, about 1,000 more than the second place Yankees.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/attendance/_/sort/awayAvg

Is this just coincidence that Cincy has played in front of the largest crowds in the majors?

Doubt it - having the 2010 MVP and the best 2nd baseman in the game coming to town has something to do with it. Votto and Phillips are exciting players to watch and have become the name players on the Reds.

Don't forget that Cards fans came out to boo (badly, as BP tweeted) in droves due to the rivalry and the Indians fans were really fired up in the early part of the season as well, wanting their team to prove they were for real against the other Ohio team.

Grouse
06-17-2011, 12:43 PM
The reds have played 8 more road games than the Yanks also, I think an average would give you a better stat.

1 things for sure, our road attendance is better than our home attendance.:(

jhc2010
06-17-2011, 01:02 PM
The reds have played 8 more road games than the Yanks also, I think an average would give you a better stat.That number is an average.

TheBigLebowski
06-17-2011, 01:04 PM
I would like to raise a glass to our players for all faithfully showing up for our road affairs. Kudos.

smixsell
06-17-2011, 02:04 PM
I did my part, took myself and the Mrs. to 2 games in San Fran. (and BP threw me a ball during warm-ups, thanks BP!)

mlh1981
06-17-2011, 04:23 PM
I try to go to a few road games a year. Last year it was New York, Pittsburgh, and Philly. This year, I'm driving to Baltimore, and then from there driving down to Tampa to see them

wlf WV
06-18-2011, 11:07 AM
That is an interesting stat.I can't decide what it means,other than the Reds have played against teams that had more support than other MLB teams.I don't think we have traveled better than other MLB teams.

Vottomatic
06-18-2011, 11:11 AM
Reds are probably the most exciting team in baseball. High powered offense and decent pitching.

Plus, the weather hasn't been rainy where they've played their road games, so people come out.

davereds24
06-18-2011, 02:31 PM
I'd say this is more a product of who they've played on the road, people don't pay to see Votto and BP.

They've been to St Louis, Chicago, Milwaukee, Philly for 4, San Fran for 4, hit Cleveland as they were peaking. Those games would have been near sellouts against any team. Just wait til the Reds go to Baltimore, Tampa, Pittsburgh a few times, DC, Florida

Razzle
06-18-2011, 11:01 PM
Reds are probably the most exciting team in baseball. High powered offense and decent pitching.

Plus, the weather hasn't been rainy where they've played their road games, so people come out.

As opposed to the Red Sox high powered offense and good pitching? Or the Phillies solid lineup and remarkable pitching? I doubt the Reds are the most exciting team in baseball for anybody but Reds fans.

The DARK
06-18-2011, 11:20 PM
As opposed to the Red Sox high powered offense and good pitching? Or the Phillies solid lineup and remarkable pitching? I doubt the Reds are the most exciting team in baseball for anybody but Reds fans.

Even though Aroldis Chapman isn't playing right now, he's as exciting as you get for the casual baseball fans. "Solid lineups" and "good pitching" don't sell tickets like the reigning MVP and a 105 mph fastball can.

Razzle
06-18-2011, 11:23 PM
Even though Aroldis Chapman isn't playing right now, he's as exciting as you get for the casual baseball fans. "Solid lineups" and "good pitching" don't sell tickets like the reigning MVP and a 105 mph fastball can.
I'm not sure Aroldis Chapman sells tickets either as exciting as he is. He's been a reliever and nobody has a clue if he's even going to pitch going into a game.

Krawhitham
06-19-2011, 01:00 AM
the best 2nd baseman in the game

10 2nd baseman have a higher OPS
10 2nd baseman have better Zone Rating
7 2nd baseman have a higher WAR
5 2nd baseman have a higher UZR

Not even close to the best 2nd baseman in the game

tkemmerer14
06-20-2011, 09:39 AM

Remember when he threw a ball between his legs for an out? Stats don't always tell the whole story on how good someone is. Brandon Phillips has about 1 out per game the ZERO other MLB second basemen would. Who knows how many runs that saves?

texasdave
06-20-2011, 10:12 AM
He leads the majors in flipping the ball through his legs for an out. That settles that.

Reds
06-20-2011, 11:00 AM
Regarding the topic, I think it's mostly coincidence.

Krawhitham
06-20-2011, 12:44 PM
Remember when he threw a ball between his legs for an out?

I remember that play

I even remember the slow mo on Sportscenter showing the running was safe

BluegrassRedleg
06-20-2011, 01:43 PM

Best example of why the new-age baseball stats are, well, a little unreliable at times.

I won't claim he's the best, but to suggest 10 might be better with the glove is :laugh:

jhc2010
06-20-2011, 02:19 PM
I remember that play. I even remember the slow mo on Sportscenter showing the running was safeI remember that it was the final out of the inning and FS Ohio returned from commercial like nothing had happened and had no mention of it for innings until it was the Hot Dog Play of the Game in the 8th. They have no idea of how to make a decent sports production.

jwmann2
06-21-2011, 12:53 AM
Everyone wants to see teams they have never seen before, in this case, fans are now making it a point to check out the Reds. We have their attention.