PDA

View Full Version : Who would your choice for everday LFer be?

UCBrownsfan
06-18-2011, 12:41 PM
Just curious who everyone would want as the everyday LFer given current status being with the Reds.

Gomes
Heisey
Lewis
Hermida
Alonso
Sappelt
Frazier

The DARK
06-18-2011, 02:31 PM
Sappelt, at least once he's figured out the baserunning and defensive components. Right now, he's got an OPS over 1.000 in the IL (he has a slightly smaller sample size than most, but it's still a pretty amazing accomplishment). He'd be a solution at leadoff with his extremely high OBP, and if he could refine his stealing ability, a Sapp-Phillips-Votto-Bruce opening quartet would be extremely hard to take down.

Sean_CaseyRules
06-18-2011, 02:35 PM
Right now? Gomes. He's on a hot streak, and playing a REALLY good LF right now.

bshall2105
06-18-2011, 04:21 PM
If Yonder can play left like he does in MLB 11 The Show he's the guy.

The DARK
06-18-2011, 05:19 PM
Surprised at no votes for Frazier. He can play defense far better than Alonso, and has slightly more power in place of Alonso's better OBP.

mu4103
06-18-2011, 05:23 PM
Gotta give Heisey everyday PT before you look to the minors for options. Gomes is Gomes. He might hit .400 for the next week, then hit .200 for the next 2 months.

Old NDN
06-18-2011, 05:59 PM
Sappelt. He couldn't be much worse on the bases than what the Reds have displayed so far. A true leadoff hitter.

malcontent
06-18-2011, 06:17 PM
Frederick Deshaun Lewis.

Roush's socks
06-18-2011, 06:47 PM
I'd bring up Alonso in a couple weeks once the date passes where they won't lose an arbitration year. If his defense is beyond horrible and the bat isn't worth it, then go back to Heisey/Gomes and/or Lewis.

Kiss the Baby00
06-19-2011, 11:35 AM
Frederick Deshaun Lewis.

the question wasnt who should be DFA

mlh1981
06-19-2011, 11:40 AM
Heisey, and I'd put him in the order in front of Votto so he gets some good pitches to hit and a chance to succeed.

wlf WV
06-19-2011, 01:35 PM
The same guy I had in spring.Sappelt.He did it in spring training against MLB talent.Although Hermedia is making a case for himself.

bshall2105
06-19-2011, 07:10 PM

Lewis has been playing better than Gomes and Heisey lately. I'm not sure why nobody has given him a chance.

Hillsdale87
06-19-2011, 07:43 PM
Lewis has been playing better than Gomes and Heisey lately. I'm not sure why nobody has given him a chance.

He has definitely been hitting the ball well recently. I like his patience at the plate as well. The problem is that I feel like all 3 guys are equally mediocre, but none is really a great option

BLark = HOF
06-19-2011, 10:35 PM

The guy who needs to be DFA is Gomes.

mu4103
06-19-2011, 10:56 PM
He has definitely been hitting the ball well recently. I like his patience at the plate as well. The problem is that I feel like all 3 guys are equally mediocre, but none is really a great option
Again, Lewis had a couple good games, but he is not the answer. Your minor League player of the year has been sitting on the bench the last two years and still producing fairly well. Heisey deserves and has earned an everyday shot. I think everyone agrees that he can produce as well as Gomes and Lewis, and field better. But he needs to play everyday, righties and lefties without feeling like every at-bat hinges on more playing time. If he hits a HR last night he may be in the starting line-up today, but the way it is being juggled is ridiculous. All I am saying is give Chris a chance or trade him! Don't waste young talent in a PHing role.

Stray
06-19-2011, 11:53 PM
Again, Lewis had a couple good games, but he is not the answer. Your minor League player of the year has been sitting on the bench the last two years and still producing fairly well. Heisey deserves and has earned an everyday shot. I think everyone agrees that he can produce as well as Gomes and Lewis, and field better. But he needs to play everyday, righties and lefties without feeling like every at-bat hinges on more playing time. If he hits a HR last night he may be in the starting line-up today, but the way it is being juggled is ridiculous. All I am saying is give Chris a chance or trade him! Don't waste young talent in a PHing role.

I don't really agree with that kind of thinking. The reason Dusty said Heisey wasn't playing more was because he struggled against offspeed pitches, and from everything we've seen that seems to be exactly the case. In a PH role he gets fastballs and he crushes them, in the starting lineup he sees everything and his numbers go way down...he deserves to play, but he hasn't done anything to earn the starting job in LF.

We don't owe him anything...it's not like if he can't be given the starting job it's only fair that we trade him. He's more than capable of helping this team win as a bench player and if that is the role he's best suited for we owe it to the team to keep him there.

That said, I'm glad he's getting more opportunities to start games, but if our choices are Lewis/Heisey/Gomes then there isn't a clear cut 'starter' and we should just platoon them like we are.

Carolina Red
06-20-2011, 09:18 AM
Heisey

izzy's dad
06-20-2011, 10:29 AM
Too bad there is no "create a player" mode for real life. If there was I would be a perfect fit in left. In MLB The Show I won the NL MVP, Silver Slugger, and World Series MVP. Sounds like the solution to our left field problem to me.

bshall2105
06-20-2011, 01:11 PM
Heisey has done nothing in the majors that warrants an everyday job in left field. The guy simply has not hit when given a chance to start. Even a few days ago when he got 3 consecutive starts he struggled.

I'm not saying send him down because of his value as a late inning defensive replacement, I am saying that he has done the least of the three candidates in a starting role.

Kiss the Baby00
06-20-2011, 01:56 PM
Heisey has done nothing in the majors that warrants an everyday job in left field. The guy simply has not hit when given a chance to start. Even a few days ago when he got 3 consecutive starts he struggled.

I'm not saying send him down because of his value as a late inning defensive replacement, I am saying that he has done the least of the three candidates in a starting role.

oh wow, he got 3 starts in a row? awesome sample size.

bshall2105
06-20-2011, 02:11 PM
oh wow, he got 3 starts in a row? awesome sample size.

He's been with the team for the last 2 seasons. It is clear that when he starts he does not preform at the plate, I don't know how much more of a sample size that you need. This team does not have time to sit and wait for Heisey to get comfortable, they need production right away.

Kiss the Baby00
06-20-2011, 02:26 PM
He's been with the team for the last 2 seasons. It is clear that when he starts he does not preform at the plate, I don't know how much more of a sample size that you need. This team does not have time to sit and wait for Heisey to get comfortable, they need production right away.

what do Phillips, Cairo, Stubbs, Lewis, Gomes, Rolen, Hannigan, Renteria and Janish have in common?

they all have a lower OPS than Chris Heisey.

mu4103
06-20-2011, 02:56 PM

A. But he has done the best of the three players over-all.

B. The Reds announcer said the other day that when they go into a new city the number one name that is mentioned by other scouts as a trade target is Heisey. So, he has trade value - play him or trade him. Sappelt is in the minors, if you don't want to give Heisey a shot than are you going to give Sappelt an everyday shot? Heisey was the minor league player of the year in 2009 and has had inconsistent at-bats since coming up (319 in over a year - mostly off the bench). Do you think Sappelt can perform under the same conditions?

Fortunately for Stubbs and Bruce they were given some rope. I think the Reds are spinning their wheels. Lewis and Gomes have shown what they can do. Heisey needs a shot. If you go with Sappelt then trade Heisey because both Gomes and Lewis can perform well off the bench.

You gotta give Heisey a month before you check out the minors. If Sappelt comes up and performs poorly, then he is going to lose his confidence. The Reds can either ride that wave in the middle of a pennant race, send him down, or give him inconsistent at-bats which will hurt him in my opinion. If you try Heisey and he fails, then it takes a lot of pressure off of Sappelt when he comes up.

mu4103
06-20-2011, 03:01 PM

How many starts does he have? Really I can't find it. It is tough to get in a groove when you go from a starting everyday roll to a couple of at-bats per week. Pinch-hitting is a philosophy. You look for one good pitch and try to drive it.

I think they are very different things, pinch hitting and starting. I think you need consistent at-bats before you can get your can get going. They need to be ABs where playing time is based upon every AB. That s too much pressure. You need time to relax and get your swing back.

UCBrownsfan
06-20-2011, 06:28 PM
I'm not too excited by Heisey... but he also never really gets starts against lefty's because of gomes.

bshall2105
06-21-2011, 03:01 AM
what do Phillips, Cairo, Stubbs, Lewis, Gomes, Rolen, Hannigan, Renteria and Janish have in common?

they all have a lower OPS than Chris Heisey.

I'm willing to bet that his numbers when he starts are far worse than pinch hitting. Again I like Heisey as a 5th outfielder but he has done nothing to deserve to be the everyday left fielder. If we improve the offensive production at SS then I could live with LF being a defensive position, but until that happens I don't want Heisey getting more than 2 starts a week.

Kiss the Baby00
06-21-2011, 11:27 AM
I'm willing to bet that his numbers when he starts are far worse than pinch hitting. Again I like Heisey as a 5th outfielder but he has done nothing to deserve to be the everyday left fielder. If we improve the offensive production at SS then I could live with LF being a defensive position, but until that happens I don't want Heisey getting more than 2 starts a week.

an AB is an AB, you probably think clutch hitting is real too. lol.

bshall2105
06-21-2011, 11:55 AM
an AB is an AB, you probably think clutch hitting is real too. lol.

I don't see how you can argue the fact that Heisey has been awful in the starting lineup. He is a bench player right now, and right now that's what he needs to be. He proved it again last night.

Kiss the Baby00
06-21-2011, 11:58 AM
I don't see how you can argue the fact that Heisey has been awful in the starting lineup. He is a bench player right now, and right now that's what he needs to be. He proved it again last night.

i argue that the more at bats someone gets, the closer they are to their true average/OBP/SLG. It doesn't matter when the at bats come. Heisey going 0-4 proves nothing. talk to me when the kid has been given a month straight of starts.

bshall2105
06-21-2011, 12:00 PM
i argue that the more at bats someone gets, the closer they are to their true average/OBP/SLG. It doesn't matter when the at bats come. Heisey going 0-4 proves nothing. talk to me when the kid has been given a month straight of starts.

OK I want to know what he has done to be given a month straight of starts. Do you just have extremely high hopes for him? I guess you're just a lot higher on Heisey than I am.

Stray
06-21-2011, 03:59 PM
The more I see of Heisey the more I realize why he hasn't been given the starting job. Dusty was spot on when he said he couldn't hit off speed pitches. I guess he doesn't look as bad as Stubbs has been looking, but Stubbs is just swinging and missing at everything including fastballs.

At this point I wouldn't mind seeing more of Fred Lewis against righties...hell I might even let him lead off on those days and move Stubbs down in the order. Then have Gomes or Heisey against lefties with Stubbs leading off.

bshall2105
06-22-2011, 08:31 PM
Heisey is making a good case tonight.

Kiss the Baby00
06-22-2011, 09:01 PM
Heisey is making a good case tonight.

2nd HR was on a breaking ball too!

jwmann2
06-22-2011, 09:24 PM
None of the guys we have seen on a regular basis are everyday players. Our entire outfield used to consist of everyday players. Freel, Griffey, Dunn.

Kiss the Baby00
06-22-2011, 10:38 PM
None of the guys we have seen on a regular basis are everyday players. Our entire outfield used to consist of everyday players. Freel, Griffey, Dunn.

Freel? lmao

DocRed
06-22-2011, 10:41 PM

Gomes and Lewis yes, too early to say that about Heisey.