PDA

View Full Version : A trade idea that makes sense ...

mu4103
06-20-2011, 04:00 PM
Chris Heisey for Rafael Furcal

Here is a list of reasons why this makes sense:

1. The Reds started Heisey in all 3 games in LA.

2. Furcal was due to come off the DL yesterday (Strained oblique). He is about a week away from a rehab assignment. Another report said that he thought he could play yesterday. He is doing baseball activities such as swinging and running. The trade would likely be a couple of days or weeks away.

3. Furcal's time in LA is likely over as they have called up their top prospect Dee Gordon, who has been playing well.

4. The Dodgers are in need of a left-fielder.

5. The Reds really do have an abundance of good young LFers now that Sappelt and Alonso are playing well (Alonso always played well - but now he is playing left).

6. Last year in 388 ABs Furcal hit .300 with a .383 OBP, 22 SB, and an .826 OPS.

7. Furcal is a lead-off hitter!!!

8. I think it would be a solid trade for both sides. Who knows, it could become a blockbuster as the Dodgers need a catcher and might be willing to trade Billingsley for one of the and the Dodgers will try to trade an additional player for one of Cincy's minor league catchers.

9. Furcal is making 12 million this year, which could be a downfall. He needs 492 PA this year to receive a an additional 1.3 million or exercise a 2012 option. I believe he is around 75, so he is likely not to make that number. It may be another reason the Dodgers are holding him back. (Billingsley is making about 6.5 million).

Furcal for Heisey - Isn't Furcal everything the Reds need in one player? If he plays like last year it would be a great trade for both sides. The biggest problem I see is the finances. Even if it didn't work out, I think it would be worth the risk. What do you guys think?

brm7675
06-20-2011, 04:21 PM
No chance, Reds will not add that type of payroll. both Walt and Dusty are happy with the play they are getting from their SS position, I see no additions via trades from the Reds this season.

Vottomatic
06-20-2011, 06:40 PM
As I heard a caller say on Mo Egger's show this afternoon, Jocketty wouldn't know how to trade in his own car.

Get used to being a small market team and having to wait for all the planets and stars to align for them to put it all together. They will never take on anymore payroll.

Besides, Furcal doesn't really excite me for $12+M dollars. I'd rather have Matt Kemp for $6.5M.

Newman4
06-20-2011, 06:46 PM
If the Reds take on Furcal's salary, I'd imagine they could get him for less than Heisey. Seems that the Dodgers are just fine with Dee Gordon at shortstop.

mu4103
06-20-2011, 06:59 PM
I think the Dodgers would have to eat some salary (unlikely right?). Regardless, they are going to have to pay his salary, so it is either trade him or I don't know what.

The Dodgers are in quite a pickle. I think Kemp and Ethier's contracts both end this year. How do you trade away good young talent? For the Dodgers' sake I hope they get new ownership with some cash. Kemp, Ethier, and Kershaw are guys you build your team around. If McCourt gets the team back, I think the Dodgers are in danger of becoming a large market Pittsburgh Pirates.

brm7675
06-20-2011, 07:16 PM
As I heard a caller say on Mo Egger's show this afternoon, Jocketty wouldn't know how to trade in his own car.

Get used to being a small market team and having to wait for all the planets and stars to align for them to put it all together. They will never take on anymore payroll.

Besides, Furcal doesn't really excite me for $12+M dollars. I'd rather have Matt Kemp for $6.5M.

We made a major trade when we got Rolen. As of right now I really believe there as good of choices in AAA with the Reds as anyone we might be able to get via trade.

brm7675
06-20-2011, 07:16 PM
I think the Dodgers would have to eat some salary (unlikely right?). Regardless, they are going to have to pay his salary, so it is either trade him or I don't know what.

The Dodgers are in quite a pickle. I think Kemp and Ethier's contracts both end this year. How do you trade away good young talent? For the Dodgers' sake I hope they get new ownership with some cash. Kemp, Ethier, and Kershaw are guys you build your team around. If McCourt gets the team back, I think the Dodgers are in danger of becoming a large market Pittsburgh Pirates.

Not a chance either the present owner will get the Fox deal through or new owners will come in with serious jack.

mu4103
06-20-2011, 08:25 PM
Not a chance either the present owner will get the Fox deal through or new owners will come in with serious jack.

Looks like you are right. This is the first thing that I think Bud Selig is not screwing up. I don't know why the other owners would care though.

Vottomatic
06-20-2011, 09:48 PM
We made a major trade when we got Rolen. As of right now I really believe there as good of choices in AAA with the Reds as anyone we might be able to get via trade.

They were talking on Egger's show about Rolen too. The consensus opinion by callers is that Toronto wanted to unload Rolen's salary. They wouldn't have taken a bag of balls for him. And the Reds wanted to unload Encarnacion, which they did. They only gave up Zach Stewart, in addition, and he hasn't really lived up to his billing since.

jwmann2
06-21-2011, 01:00 AM
Welcome to baseball buddy. You want your team to have more money to spend on it's players? Get your a-- out to Great American a little more often with your buddies. Poor attendance=less money. Look at the attendance at Phillies, Red Sox and Yankees ballparks. The mindset of the fan needs to change!