PDA

View Full Version : Dodgers File for Bankrupcy

Girevik
06-27-2011, 09:33 AM
The Dodgers have officially filed for bankrupcy protection. Not how this affects any potential trades.

izzy's dad
06-27-2011, 12:59 PM
Not sure either, but I would be interested in Furcal if the price is right.

wlf WV
06-27-2011, 01:57 PM
Kershaw,Kemp,and Furcal,if we can sign Kershaw and Furcal(reasonably).Give them what it takes of people not in starting lineup and in minors.

Vottomatic
06-30-2011, 09:54 AM
More than likely, the Dodgers situation will cause MLB to block any potential trades, to maintain the value of that organization for possible buyers. Unless they want to lighten the Dodgers payroll, then they might allow it.

I really feel that Matt Kemp is the answer to the Reds 4-hole hitter need. The Reds will never get their money's worth out of Votto with opposing teams clearly pitching around him. If they want to get their money's worth out of Votto, they're going to have to spend money for a feared quality 4-hole hitter to protect Votto. Also, Kemp meets Dusty's need to keep the lefty, righty, lefty thing going, since Kemp is right handed. This would also allow Rolen to move down to the 6th or 7th spot.

And I know alot of people are in love with Drew Stubbs. But I think the guy is missing a few things between the ears. He K's way too much for me.

I read somewhere about a month back that the Dodgers were interested in Stubbs. If that is true, here is what I would do:

Trade Stubbs and other prospects blocked by Reds major leaguers to the Dodgers for Kemp. Stick Kemp in the 4-hole.

Bring up Sappelt to play either LF or CF (not sure which he is better at), and obviously Kemp plays the other position. Stick Sappelt in the leadoff position.

Release Renteria and bring up Cozart to platoon with Janish.

I wish we had one more spot available. I don't want to release Cairo. I like him and think he's done a great job as a utility player, occasional sub. But I really think we need a lefthanded power hitting third baseman to rotate with Rolen. But there are not enough spots on the 25-man.

You have to trade value to get value.

LF Sappelt
2B Phillips
1B Votto
CF Kemp
RF Bruce
3B Rolen
SS Cozart
C Hernanigan

You can throw all the offensive numbers at me that you want to. My eyes tell me more than stats on this situation. Votto makes this offense go. He is not getting any opportunities to make it go. The Reds HAVE TO protect him in the lineup with a legit feared hitter. Kemp is having a potential MVP type season. You'd have 3 legit HR hitters in the 3, 4, and 5 spots. Sappelt and Cozart have nothing left to prove in triple A.

This team will go nowhere until the 4-hole is solved. Bank on it.

Moosie52
06-30-2011, 12:08 PM
When the Phoenix Coyotes of the NHL filed bankruptcy, the league went to court and got ownership of the team. Because the team was part of a league, the bankruptcy judge didn't want to deal with all the complications of treating the Coyotes as a spearate entity. I expect the same thing will happen with the Dodgers. MLB will find some rich (bona fide) guy to buy the team. This shouldn't create a fire sale.

NCCardfan
07-03-2011, 10:38 PM
The MLB and Bud Selig will block any firesale trades that require the Dodgers to eat payroll, that's a given. The problem is that McCourt siphoned money from the orginization to get it to this point and nothing can be done now. MLB wants to keep 2 LA teams at all cost but will stop short of assuming ownership. The firesale will be there IMO but on a small and quite controlled scale - 1 or 2 big players with MLB ready players in return is my guess. Between Furcal, Kemp, Kershaw, Loney, Broxton and Ethier at least 4 will stay in LA, the value will be nothing if all those guys are traded.