PDA

View Full Version : Rolen

BAKER12
07-04-2011, 09:06 PM
Not to be Mr. Negative, but he seems to be the only guy really producing a lot worse than from last year. What is the answer? Walt is totally tied to him and I understand the loyalty. Dusty was super loyal to Pole as Pitching Coach, but when forced severed the ties and replaced him with a better guy. Could we be approaching that with Rolen?
C: A little better
1B: Less power, less pitches to hit
2B: Same
SS: A little less, but not glaring
LF: About the same
CF: About the same
RF: A little better
EB: Absolutely worse
Starters: Close to the same
Bullpen: Slightly better
Bench: A little better
Same Management team front office and in dugout, same owner

DocRed
07-04-2011, 09:11 PM
Pretty much agree but I would break down our relief and say that our Middle relief has been worse while Cordero has been way better.

BAKER12
07-04-2011, 09:18 PM
It's funny, if someone would have told me Cordero would have been lights out, I would have said we would be on fire. Instead I fear we may have a fire sale. This road trip scares me a lot. Simply put, we do not have the offense to compete with the big boys. No legit leadoff hitter, very weak 3B, SS spots and spotty at best hitting in two of the outfield spots. Prediction for post all star break, Heisey will play everyday and we will see Stubbs sent down and a new shortstop, even if it is change for the sake of change.

Krawhitham
07-04-2011, 09:20 PM
Rolen started his downfall after the all star break last season

He is a lot better when he gets time off, but his range is what is really lacking this season. He made a great attempt today but most of the time balls are getting by him that he always use to get to

BluegrassRedleg
07-04-2011, 09:21 PM
The raw numbers don't tell the story of this team. It's *when* the hits/production is coming that has made the difference. Stacking up hits and RBIs in a 9-2 victory isn't the same as getting the big hit to win 1-0 or 4-3. They just haven't gotten them when they "counted" this season to date.

BAKER12
07-04-2011, 09:31 PM
I agree with all these points. Rolen may be entering a platoon phase of his career, but for what he is making, that is not a legit idea. And frankly, good point Kraw, Rolen looks great when he gets two weeks off and plays four of seven days, etc. It sucks, because he is a great team guy and a guy who plays the game the right way.

Mutaman
07-04-2011, 09:37 PM
Dusty was super loyal to Pole as Pitching Coach, but when forced severed the ties and replaced him with a better guy.

What's the basis for this statement? What has occurred to make anyone think that Price is better than Pole?

bounty37h
07-05-2011, 03:49 PM
Not to be Mr. Negative, but he seems to be the only guy really producing a lot worse than from last year. What is the answer? Walt is totally tied to him and I understand the loyalty. Dusty was super loyal to Pole as Pitching Coach, but when forced severed the ties and replaced him with a better guy. Could we be approaching that with Rolen?
C: A little better
1B: Less power, less pitches to hit
2B: Same
SS: A little less, but not glaring
LF: About the same
CF: About the same
RF: A little better
EB: Absolutely worse
Starters: Close to the same
Bullpen: Slightly better
Bench: A little better
Same Management team front office and in dugout, same owner

Did our ss have 15 errors and only one homer at the break last year?

izzy's dad
07-05-2011, 04:49 PM
The raw numbers don't tell the story of this team. It's *when* the hits/production is coming that has made the difference. Stacking up hits and RBIs in a 9-2 victory isn't the same as getting the big hit to win 1-0 or 4-3. They just haven't gotten them when they "counted" this season to date.

Agreed. Stats can give you an idea of how a team is performing or will perform, but they also can give you the wrong idea. If you watch this team everyday you will notice that the biggest weakness is the lack of a consistent run producing threat behind Votto. If you look at the statistics the numbers suggest that the offense is fine. Clearly the offense is not "fine."