PDA

View Full Version : Whom do you bring up?

malcontent
07-06-2011, 01:04 AM
Willis and Cozart (for Volquez and Janish) seem like no-brainers to me.

Do you send Stubbs down for Sappelt?

Do you bring up Frazier or Francisco to replace or simply spell the room-temp corpse of Scott Rolen?

Assuming he does want to make a move, Jocketty apparently can't reach the buzzer to alert the nursing home staff.

What do you do?

Krawhitham
07-06-2011, 02:38 AM
Willis nor Sappelt are on the 40 man roster

To bring either of them up someone has to be released or go on the 60 day DL

Francisco has 10hr in 49 games and is hitting .295 but he also has 7 errors and a .941 FPct

Frazier is hitting .267 and fields about as well as Francisco

Vottomatic
07-06-2011, 07:55 AM
Sappelt and Cozart should be up here pronto.

Send Stubbs down as a wake up call. It still might not wake him up.

Old NDN
07-06-2011, 08:37 AM
Cozart, Willis, Wood, Sappelt, up. Make whatever adjustments to the 40 man you have to.... releases, trades,etc. What the Reds have now obviously isn't getting it done. Nothing to lose here, other than more games. Let's see some of those "coveted" prospects that we have in the system. OTOH, I don't think Jocketty/Baker will go this drastic. That would be like admitting to making bad decisions and poor judgement in evaluation of talent.

DocRed
07-06-2011, 09:45 AM
Cozart is an absolute no brainer IMO and really makes you question Jocketty's and/or Dusty's decision not to bring him up.

HalKing
07-06-2011, 09:50 AM
Willis nor Sappelt are on the 40 man roster

To bring either of them up someone has to be released or go on the 60 day DL

Francisco has 10hr in 49 games and is hitting .295 but he also has 7 errors and a .941 FPct

Frazier is hitting .267 and fields about as well as Francisco

Frazier is far superior to Francisco with the glove. And he's very versatile.

HalKing
07-06-2011, 09:51 AM
My two cents....

I guess I lean toward not making too many moves all at one time, for whatever reason. That said, I do think the Reds are basically at the brink of the season being a lost cause, so I'm thinking of moves that are more for the long term as opposed to a futile attempt to salvage this season. The things I would do immediately:

1. Swap the roles of Stubbs and Heisey. Heisey becomes the everyday CF and leadoff hitter, Stubbs is a spot starter, pinch hitter and defensive replacement(obviously he plays CF when he does start).

2. Volquez optioned to Louisville. Mop-head in my opinion is now #8 on the depth chart for the starting rotation in Cincy. I would insert Travis Wood in that spot if his start in Louisville goes well tonight. If it doesn't go well I leave Wood in Louisville and insert Dontrelle Willis into Volquez's spot. If Wood/Willis don't do the job then I try Sam Lecure in that spot. Lecure is probably only good for 5 or 6 innings per start, but thats better than Volquez. Mop-head stays in Louisville until he potentially could get a September call-up, but only if he pitches his ass off the rest of the season for the Bats.

3. Call-up Cozart TODAY and send Janish to Louisville. Play Cozart 60% and Renteria 40%. If Renteria plays well enough to draw the interest of other teams, trade his ass for a bag of salty nuts. Eventually trade or dump Renteria and go back with Janish as the backup with Cozart getting the majority of the time.

(Slightly) more long term:

At the all-star break I send Stubbs to Louisville and bring up Sappelt. Sappelt and Heisey somewhat share CF, but I'd give Sappelt the majority of the time.

If Hernandez can bring in even a decent prospect at the trade deadline then move him and bring up Mesoraco.

Bring up Horst as the 2nd lefty in the pen, send down Chapman to be converted to starting. For the Reds to be successful in 2012 I think Chapman has to be in the rotation.

Play Cairo and Rolen pretty much 50/50 for the rest of this season. Play Frazier at 3B the rest of the way in Louisville and groom him to be Rolen's caddy next year. Move Francisco in a deal, probably to an American League team where he'd have the most value.

If the record is bad enough at the trade deadline look for any worthy deal for Gomes and Lewis. Keep them if nothing decent is being offered, if one or both goes then that gives opportunity to look at Alonso, Hermida or Dorn(all of whom are having good years for Louisville and would almost certainly be as good as Gomes).

Any of the Louisville players mentioned above that are not already with the Reds at Sept. 1 should get a look for the final month.

mr. red
07-06-2011, 10:22 AM
I'd definitely get Cozart up here NOW. Volquez has to be optioned to AAA or AA or A or Little League. I'd like to see the D-Train get a chance before recalling Wood.

Stubbs should be sent down just to get his game back together. I'd play Sappelt in CF everyday and Heisey in LF (for the time being). I would be inclined to leave Rolen at 3B, just because he still has it defensively---but I would bring up Frazier to play 40-50% of the time.

Bringing up some of the young guys will make our lineup even more diverse.

DocRed
07-06-2011, 10:27 AM
Arroyo to the pen and LeCure to take Arroyo's next start....I can wish....

Spaxspore
07-06-2011, 10:31 AM
I love all this "who should we bring up"

Because unlike any other team in baseball, we dont use our prospects when we need them.

Just look at the cards, they made changes in the pen and now they are winning games... all without Albert.

Our management thinks
Treading water is fun...

Son, below 500 isnt treading water any more. Its losing, and losing in the most painful of ways.

Krawhitham
07-06-2011, 12:23 PM
Frazier is far superior to Francisco with the glove. And he's very versatile.

Well the stats way otherwise

HalKing
07-06-2011, 12:26 PM
Well the stats way otherwise

Yet another example of stats being misleading.