PDA

View Full Version : Giants are interested in Hernandez

wlf WV
07-06-2011, 02:54 PM
According to MLB trade rumors: Giants Interested In Ramon Hernandez
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [July 6 at 12:49pm CST]

The Giants like Ramon Hernandez, according to Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle (Twitter links). San Francisco has been looking for catching help since Buster Posey got injured in late May, but the front office is not talking to the Cubs about Geovany Soto or Koyie Hill, Schulman reports.

The Reds have the depth to part with Hernandez, who earns $3MM this year and is hitting .307/.368/.500 with eight home runs. Cincinnati could rely on Ryan Hanigan and prospect Devin Mesoraco if they trade Hernandez in an attempt to return to .500 and repeat as NL Central champions.
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/0...hernandez.html

wlf WV
07-06-2011, 02:56 PM
Strike while the iron's hot,although I would miss Hernandez.

bounty37h
07-06-2011, 02:56 PM
We should see if we can swing him for Renteria, last years WS MVP :)

brm7675
07-06-2011, 03:10 PM
How about Ramon for Cody Ross....:)

malcontent
07-06-2011, 03:31 PM
Hernandez for Eric Surkamp has been floated by several posters.

Anyone think that Hernandez alone would get it done?

AintlifeGrande
07-06-2011, 03:45 PM

I doubt it.He is their second best prospect.Maybe throw in a minor leaguer may get it done.

KYRedLeg
07-06-2011, 03:51 PM
Might as well throw in the starting lineup of the Louisville Bats, since it's clear none of them will ever make it to Cincy.

Vottomatic
07-06-2011, 06:17 PM
I like Ramon. I think he's definitely been a huge asset the last several years.

But he may have the most value right now considering the Giants have a huge hole behind the plate. It would also give him the chance to go to a contender, unlike the .500 Reds. It gives the Reds a chance to see what Mesoraco can do, but not full time since Hanigan is here.

I think it's a good fit. But I expect a top prospect in return.

redssince75
07-06-2011, 07:04 PM
I doubt it.He is their second best prospect.Maybe throw in a minor leaguer may get it done.

Throw in Edgar Renteria. SURELY they love and would want back their WS MVP...right? Right?

jwmann2
07-06-2011, 09:03 PM
I don't listen to any of this crap in baseball. Remember the Homer Bailey for Jermaine Dye trade talks? ESPN even went as far as reporting it. We need Ramon. We are not out of it yet. Pitching is our problem.

partisan
07-06-2011, 09:58 PM
I don't listen to any of this crap in baseball. Remember the Homer Bailey for Jermaine Dye trade talks? ESPN even went as far as reporting it. We need Ramon. We are not out of it yet. Pitching is our problem.

If pitching is our problem, then why not trade a catcher we won't be able to afford at the end of the season (and get value from him while we can) for a strong pitching prospect.

It's not like we're barren at catcher.

SidneySlicker
07-07-2011, 12:39 AM
Nope, Ramon is important to the chemistry of this team and is one of the few clutch hitters the Reds have.

bshall2105
07-07-2011, 02:50 AM
Nope, Ramon is important to the chemistry of this team and is one of the few clutch hitters the Reds have.

What has he done recently to lead you to that ridiculous conclusion? Opening Day is about the only thing clutch that Hernandez has ever done.

Vottomatic
07-07-2011, 07:40 AM
What has he done recently to lead you to that ridiculous conclusion? Opening Day is about the only thing clutch that Hernandez has ever done.

You posted too soon. :D

BluegrassRedleg
07-07-2011, 06:06 PM

No way. Would cost us at least another minor prospect.

peteredwardrose
07-10-2011, 10:15 PM
According to MLB trade rumors: Giants Interested In Ramon Hernandez
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [July 6 at 12:49pm CST]

I bet they are hahaha he is the only catcher we have that would be stupid!

Tuff Nut
07-10-2011, 11:15 PM
For the right price, I'd do the trade. I like Ramon, as he has helped this team immensely,since his arrival, but he is not unreplaceable. Ryan does a great job calling games, and I'd like to get Mesoraco some playing time. This trade makes more sence than some others that I've seen.

malcontent
07-11-2011, 04:47 PM
Surkamp just named EL pitcher of the week.

Leads the League with a 1.78 ERA.

Could be impossible to get.

Vottomatic
07-11-2011, 04:52 PM
Surkamp just named EL pitcher of the week.

Leads the League with a 1.78 ERA.

Could be impossible to get.

He has to be included in the deal or forget it. If they want to win this thing, they will do the deal.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=P&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=474668

malcontent
07-11-2011, 06:01 PM
He has to be included in the deal or forget it. If they want to win this thing, they will do the deal.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=P&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=474668

Assuming that Hernandez alone doesn't get that deal done, what prospect would you add?

Vottomatic
07-11-2011, 06:51 PM
Assuming that Hernandez alone doesn't get that deal done, what prospect would you add?

Giants should be offering the Reds more. Reds shouldn't be adding someone to the deal. Hernandez is an accomplished big league catcher along with probably being near the top offensively this year. Good catchers are hard to come by.

Why is that people on this board think the Reds have to sell the farm to get someone, but no other team has to sell the farm? Giants have few options. If they want a top catcher, they better divy up.

bshall2105
07-11-2011, 07:32 PM
Giants should be offering the Reds more. Reds shouldn't be adding someone to the deal. Hernandez is an accomplished big league catcher along with probably being near the top offensively this year. Good catchers are hard to come by.

Why is that people on this board think the Reds have to sell the farm to get someone, but no other team has to sell the farm? Giants have few options. If they want a top catcher, they better divy up.

Exactly, if Matt Capps gets the Nationals Wilson Ramos I expect a decent prospect for Ramon.

HatchMo
07-11-2011, 11:03 PM
ramon is gone this offseason anyways, might as well move him now!