PDA

View Full Version : What if the Reds didn't score in the 13th?

brm7675
07-07-2011, 11:01 AM
Lets say the Reds don't score in the top of the 13th and hold the Cards in the bottom, who do the Reds pitch in the 14th?

R_Webb18
07-07-2011, 11:05 AM
chapman

FireDusty
07-07-2011, 11:08 AM
Pedro Borbon.

texasdave
07-07-2011, 11:10 AM
Aaron Harang.

brm7675
07-07-2011, 11:24 AM
chapman

Really, you are going to have the kid go a 3rd inning? Why? Do we really want to ruin another arm?

texasdave
07-07-2011, 11:34 AM
Really, you are going to have the kid go a 3rd inning? Why? Do we really want to ruin another arm?

It would have only been his second inning. But you have a point. The Reds put Chapman in a situation where he potentially could have been forced to pile up a lot of innings/pitches. Not a position I would put a 30-million dollar arm into.

nux fan
07-07-2011, 12:01 PM
greg caderet

Vottomatic
07-07-2011, 12:05 PM
Do you have any eligibility left?

Redeye fly
07-07-2011, 12:19 PM
Has anything come out on Lecure? I thought it was really odd that the long man who's perfect for that situation if it goes extended extra innings only worked one inning. I know they mentioned he pitched the day before. But it almost seemed like Dusty had a toothpick fart and forgot to use a double switch or something. From an outside perspective it looked like "oh crap, Lecure would be batting next inning. Better send Gomes up to strike out for him and get ready to use one or both of my pitchers who have major issues throwing the ball over the plate at times."

Glad it worked out in the end but it just was odd to say the least.

Moosie52
07-07-2011, 12:29 PM
I'll bet Bruce can pitch.

R_Webb18
07-07-2011, 12:52 PM

lol @ 6 million to throw 10 pitches cmon?

brm7675
07-07-2011, 01:29 PM
lol @ 6 million to throw 10 pitches cmon?

given the issues you the Reds have had with Chapman this season, it just showed again how poorly Dusty is at managing a game. He left his starter in to long, he used his long man only 1 inning, he found himself out of pitchers in the 13th. Again how much proof is needed to show Dusty has no business managing anything besides maybe his sons little league team:laugh:

R_Webb18
07-07-2011, 01:36 PM
given the issues you the Reds have had with Chapman this season, it just showed again how poorly Dusty is at managing a game. He left his starter in to long, he used his long man only 1 inning, he found himself out of pitchers in the 13th. Again how much proof is needed to show Dusty has no business managing anything besides maybe his sons little league team:laugh:

i agree he manged bad last night but cmon chapman can go 2 innings there.

brm7675
07-07-2011, 01:43 PM

I am okay with 2, but what happens after that? Who was left in the bullpen to pitch?

DocRed
07-07-2011, 01:44 PM
Chapman has 2 arms doesn't he? Even if he blows out one he can pitch with the other....

DocRed
07-07-2011, 01:46 PM

I thought the moves pre 9th inning were not smart, but I also thought PH'ing LeCure for Gomes with the bases empty was dumb and Arredondo would surley lose the game for us...but he didn't. Dusty rolled the dice on Dondo and we won.....you have to give him some credit for that as much as it pains me to.

wlf WV
07-07-2011, 01:51 PM
i agree he manged bad last night but cmon chapman can go 2 innings there.Cursed if you do and cursed if you don't.And many are crying to stretch him out as a starter.I agree Dusty does seem to make pitching moves a step too late,a fault I think attributed to his loyalty.The loyalty factor causes a lot of his criticisms.We could do a lot worse. I do wish he would hire a tactician,that he would listen to.

Stray
07-07-2011, 01:53 PM
When you have an 8 run lead and then you eventually hand it over to your bullpen with what, a 5 run lead (?), you're not managing to protect your bullpen if it manages to go 14.

He managed to win the game, our guys just blew it and had to go to extras.

brm7675
07-07-2011, 02:01 PM
I thought the moves pre 9th inning were not smart, but I also thought PH'ing LeCure for Gomes with the bases empty was dumb and Arredondo would surley lose the game for us...but he didn't. Dusty rolled the dice on Dondo and we won.....you have to give him some credit for that as much as it pains me to.

No you don't, the game should have never gotten to that point HAD our "manager" done his job earlier in the game. He go "lucky" he gets zero credit.

brm7675
07-07-2011, 02:02 PM
When you have an 8 run lead and then you eventually hand it over to your bullpen with what, a 5 run lead (?), you're not managing to protect your bullpen if it manages to go 14.

He managed to win the game, our guys just blew it and had to go to extras.

No HE blew it by not going to the bullpen to start the 7th. You go to Masset to start the 7th you don't see the score being 8-7 at the end of the 7th.

Stray
07-07-2011, 02:04 PM
No you don't, the game should have never gotten to that point HAD our "manager" done his job earlier in the game. He go "lucky" he gets zero credit.

By using Bray, Ondrusek and Coco to hold a lead?

Stray
07-07-2011, 02:07 PM
No HE blew it by not going to the bullpen to start the 7th. You go to Masset to start the 7th you don't see the score being 8-7 at the end of the 7th.

Bronson was around 80 pitches and was pitching a good game. I don't know why we would have pulled him with a huge lead. Sure Bronson had a couple of guys on base but our best relievers HAVE to hold that lead, that is on them.

brm7675
07-07-2011, 02:13 PM
Bronson was around 80 pitches and was pitching a good game. I don't know why we would have pulled him with a huge lead. Sure Bronson had a couple of guys on base but our best relievers HAVE to hold that lead, that is on them.

You pull him because he was gassed. You could see in the 6th he was struggling mightly and was barley able to get out of it. No chance in you know what he should have ever come out to start the 7th.

brm7675
07-07-2011, 02:16 PM
By using Bray, Ondrusek and Coco to hold a lead?

I would have gone with Nick to start the 7th, then chapman to pitch the 8th and then Co-Co to finish off.

Stray
07-07-2011, 02:18 PM
You pull him because he was gassed. You could see in the 6th he was struggling mightly and was barley able to get out of it. No chance in you know what he should have ever come out to start the 7th.

He didn't look gassed to me. I guess it's harder to tell with him since he throws a lot of wiffle balls. I wouldn't have pulled him at 80 pitches with a huge lead, and I would fully expect our bullpen to do it's job if Bronson did get in trouble...which they didn't.

brm7675
07-07-2011, 02:20 PM
He didn't look gassed to me. I guess it's harder to tell with him since he throws a lot of wiffle balls. I wouldn't have pulled him at 80 pitches with a huge lead, and I would fully expect our bullpen to do it's job if Bronson did get in trouble...which they didn't.

He was pouring sweat, he was struggling to throw strikes, he had given up 2 runs in teh 6th, you have a fully available bullpen, there is no reason to have him go out in the 7th. Lets not forget the man had dizzy spells earlier in the week and is fighting mono.

ntorvik
07-07-2011, 02:29 PM
as soon as we went to extras, I said out loud we were going to lose, because we hadn't scored since the 5th inning. The Cardinals had all the momentum and Dondo was able to quash that extras. Good to see Chapman get his 3 guys too. Wish CoCo hadn't blown it, especially to a Jon Jay home run, but a win is a win, and we really needed that one. Management could've been way better, but they still shouldn't have scored 5 in the 7th.

mlh1981
07-07-2011, 07:31 PM
One of us.

demas863
07-07-2011, 09:01 PM
Chapman has 2 arms doesn't he? Even if he blows out one he can pitch with the other....

This post reminds me of when we got Jose Rio and Tim Birtsas from Oakland. I think it was an Oakland coach who said we got two good arms. Both of them on Rio.

Spider Tre
07-07-2011, 10:32 PM
Wilson Valdez

markymark69
07-07-2011, 10:48 PM
I really don't see the point to the post - other than to take shots at Dusty. You see, they did score in the 13th so it doesn't matter. The Reds won the game last night. It counts as much as if they would have won 8-0.

Hey, what if the Reds hadn't traded Adam Dunn? What if Ken Griffey, Jr. had never gotten hurt? What if Pete Rose had never bet on baseball and then never lied about it for 15 years? What if the Big Red Machine could have remained in their prime forever and still played for the Reds? All pointless questions - like the post. Since none of those things ever happened or will happen? Why discuss it?

I only feel bad that I actually wasted time on this.

I know some on here don't want to see the bottom line and be mixed up with facts. I understand that second-guessing is a part of being a fan and Dusty certainly set himself for that. But the Reds won the game!!!!!!!

Also, I always like how the players never seem to be held accountable for not producing - it's always Dusty's fault that they lose - and he's never credited when they win. But it's Dusty should have done this and not that Bill Bray couldn't get anybody out or that Francisco Cordero gave up a home run and blew the save.