PDA

View Full Version : Rolen an All-Star

Krawhitham
07-09-2011, 09:01 PM
Scott Rolen added to National League All-Star team. Joins, Bruce, Phillips and Votto. Details coming....

http://twitter.com/#!/Reds/status/89859796861325312

Krawhitham
07-09-2011, 09:09 PM
How was a .245 hitter with 5HR & 35 RBI picked over a guy hitting .299 with 15HR & 50RBI?

Spaxspore
07-09-2011, 09:31 PM
Rolen has looked aged and washed out this entire season. Poor all star game.

LegallyMinded
07-09-2011, 10:12 PM
Rolen was the next leading vote getter after Chipper Jones among NL third baseman, so you can make a case for selecting him from the perspective of giving the fans what they want to see. Also, UZR rates Rolen as quite a bit better defensively than prospective fill-ins such as Aramis Ramirez.

One other point: Rolen's BABIP this year is only .268, compared to a career mark of .307, so perhaps he's just been unlucky more so than "aged and washed out."

That being said, I do agree that there are more deserving All Star candidates out there. All Star selection does seem like a flawed process, but until they change it, we might as well enjoy seeing another Red in Arizona this year.

markymark69
07-09-2011, 10:39 PM
Points that have been made are valid, but can't we just be happy that another Red will be at the All-Star game. I can remember when this team would get only one player - at least it will be worth watching.

It's not like Rolen is crashing the party - he received a lot of votes and MLB asked him to fill-in.

I guess it may be just something else for Reds fans (and I use the term loosely) on RedsZone to whine and gripe about.

mroby85
07-09-2011, 11:00 PM
Points that have been made are valid, but can't we just be happy that another Red will be at the All-Star game. I can remember when this team would get only one player - at least it will be worth watching.

It's not like Rolen is crashing the party - he received a lot of votes and MLB asked him to fill-in.

I guess it may be just something else for Reds fans (and I use the term loosely) on RedsZone to whine and gripe about.

As a Reds fan, I'd rather him have the 3 days off instead of having to give him another couple days of rest during the season.

DocRed
07-09-2011, 11:16 PM
Cairo should make the AS team before Rolen IMO

Krawhitham
07-09-2011, 11:30 PM
"I left a small village on base tonight"

redsfan1995
07-09-2011, 11:41 PM
He doesnt deserve it and i hate to say it but a Cub player deserves it more than him.

R_Webb18
07-10-2011, 12:44 AM
He doesnt deserve it and i hate to say it but a Cub player deserves it more than him.

ur right but u can say that about other players also

redsrolen
07-10-2011, 01:20 AM
How soon we forget!!! Before Scott Rolen came to this team, this team wasn't just bad, they were pathetic. He, and he alone brought leadership, league leading work ethic, he has spent many hours working and teaching every member of this team! He will be in the hall of fame and is one of the most respected players in the league today. Not to mention the fact he is on your team. Yes, his best yrs. are behind him and he definately needs the rest and would probably take the rest rather than going, but he's being a stand up guy and doing what was asked of him!

Redeye fly
07-10-2011, 01:26 AM
Rolen was the next leading vote getter after Chipper Jones among NL third baseman, so you can make a case for selecting him from the perspective of giving the fans what they want to see. Also, UZR rates Rolen as quite a bit better defensively than prospective fill-ins such as Aramis Ramirez.

One other point: Rolen's BABIP this year is only .268, compared to a career mark of .307, so perhaps he's just been unlucky more so than "aged and washed out."

That being said, I do agree that there are more deserving All Star candidates out there. All Star selection does seem like a flawed process, but until they change it, we might as well enjoy seeing another Red in Arizona this year.

I think it's fairly obvious that Scott is in the twilight of a fine career and the BABIP is as much or more of a product of that than it is bad luck. It's not that much of a stretch to say that the guy is not making as much consistent hard contact at this point in his career. I'm not sure what his line drive percentage is as compared to other years, but I'm not sure even that would tell the whole story. Even last year when he was a deserving All Star, his power numbers tailed off significantly in the second half of the season, and while the naked eye doesn't tell the whole story, it does tell maybe more than any set of statistics does when a player is aging and near the end. Scott doesn't look as spry at the plate or in the field these days, and the injuries and aches and pains he incurs wear on his body at this point more than they did in his Phillies or Cardinal days.

Still, deserving or not, Rolen seems to be a great guy and an integral part of the team for reasons that go beyond his production on the field. So congratulations to him!:thumbup:

nux fan
07-10-2011, 01:39 AM
a farce rolen is so washed up they might as well have elected Gene Freese

Stray
07-10-2011, 01:49 AM
Good deal, I'm glad he made it. Four Reds on the team!

malcontent
07-10-2011, 02:01 AM
No way he deserves it.

He really needs to opt out and let somebody more deserving go.

That would show some integrity.

Moosie52
07-10-2011, 02:07 AM
As a Reds fan, I'd rather him have the 3 days off instead of having to give him another couple days of rest during the season.

You can't store up rest. You can take a week off work, but it only takes a few days back at the grind to tire you out. I just hope he doesn't get hurt while he's there.

Redeye fly
07-10-2011, 03:03 AM
No way he deserves it.

He really needs to opt out and let somebody more deserving go.

That would show some integrity.

I get what you're saying and you're not wrong. But it's also pretty naive if you actually think any player in Rolen's position would do that. I shouldn't say any perhaps, because I may vaguely remember it being done a time or two, but it's a very small minority.

I'm pretty sure Scott Rolen has plenty of integrity.

It's the All Star Game, an event that major league baseball had to hype up as something that matters by putting World Series home field advantage on the line.

Cal Ripken at the end of his career didn't necessarily deserve to keep getting voted in to the All Star Game. Derek Jeter doesn't necessarily deserve to be there this year. Barry Larkin should have been getting more All Star starts and appearances and collecting more Gold Gloves once he was clearly better than Ozzie Smith. Heck, based on numbers it's hard to say Chipper Jones deserved to be there over someone like Aramis Ramirez, who's been mentioned, or even Chase Headley of the Padres.

It is what it is, and in the grand scheme of things ( i.e. really not all that important) I don't think it's worth arguing over the integrity of Scott Rolen for accepting the bid.

DannyB
07-10-2011, 07:58 AM

It was the players vote that got him in.

bleedsred
07-10-2011, 08:34 AM
I thought the players voted in Victorino??? and Konerko. Pretty sure Rolen was selected by the manager as a replacement for Chipper.

Vottomatic
07-10-2011, 11:40 AM
I'm happy for Scott, but I don't think he deserves it. Obviously, the voters helped him because of his outstanding career and name recognition. But he definitely does not have it anymore.

I appreciate what he has done in terms of leadership. And he still wows me on defense occasionally like the other night with that play and throw that nearly got the runner out at first base. He still surprises me. But his bat is big time on the decline.

I actually hope he retires at season's end. I like seeing players retire before they really embarrass themselves badly, like KGJ did or Willy Mays did. Retire while you still have some dignity.

Krawhitham
07-10-2011, 12:36 PM
Fay says new All-Star Rule

When a player goes down and can not make the game the person with the highest votes at that position is asked

http://twitter.com/#!/johnfayman/status/89861709392658432

roby
07-10-2011, 12:44 PM
You can't store up rest. You can take a week off work, but it only takes a few days back at the grind to tire you out. I just hope he doesn't get hurt while he's there.

"You can't store up rest." I don't know where that came from, but that is exactly what rest is! Rolen is obviously worn down and needs a feways off. Having said that, I'm glad he's an all-star and love having him as part of the Reds.

markymark69
07-10-2011, 03:25 PM
Obviously baseball does not have a problem with him being there or they would not have asked him to be a replacement.

As far as him opting not to go - how many would turn down a bonus in their job if offered - whether you deserve it or not?

As far as rest - valid point - but he could get hurt at home just as easy as being at the ballpark - it's not like he's going to play all nine innings - or even five innings for that matter.

As far as not deserving - this just makes up for past years when there were Reds who deserved to go and didn't get chosen because the team was bad.

I can't say that I'm surprised by the reaction - we get good news - another All-Star representative - and this board still can't be happy. Business as usual.

50YrRedsFan
07-10-2011, 08:38 PM
IMHO, the ASG has become meaningless even with home field at stake. Many players opt out because of the risk of injury, a minor injury, or they just want rest. You're getting the 3rd, 4th and maybe 5th player in line to play. Not the kind of All Star Games that were played years ago. Money is the underlying motivation. Bonuses for players if selected
or big money at the end of the season with post season play has become the impetus to play or not.

davereds24
07-10-2011, 10:28 PM
Rolen is now starting in the ASG