PDA

View Full Version : Zach Cozart...Refreshing

keeganbrick
07-16-2011, 12:54 AM
It really is refreshing watching this guy play. He seems to do all the little things right day in and day out so far. His base running is awesome, especially tonight tagging up from 1st on that ball hit to RF from Votto. I can't remember the last time I saw a Red do that. He was also clutch tonight scoring the runner from 3rd base in a situation with the bases juiced and less than 2 outs. For some reason we have the hardest time scoring runs in that situation. I hope some others on the team actually learn a thing or two from him and how he plays the game.
:beerme:

Roush's socks
07-16-2011, 02:50 AM
Agree that Cozart is playimg well. If he is better than Janisharia on both the offensive and defensive ends, that would be a big improvement for the Reds.

Kevin1476
07-16-2011, 09:05 AM
What is amazing is that it took so long for management to bring him up. From what I have seen Cozart could have made a difference in a few of our loses. I know I am beating a dead horse, but it just does not make sense why it took them so long to pull the trigger on bringing him up.

markymark69
07-16-2011, 09:19 AM
He certainly is playing well. It appears that the shortstop question has been addressed at least in the short term. I'm not necessarily sure about the future because no one knows for sure but I like what I see.

izzy's dad
07-16-2011, 09:27 AM
I think "refreshing" is the best way to describe his play thus far. Well said. I think his sound fundamental play has quite a bit to do with the coaching in Louisville. Methinks that coaching changes are needed, and we need to look no further than Louisville, Ky. I like Dusty, semper fi. But, this team just is not fighting the way I want them to. Maybe this team needs some more "refreshing" influences.

drowg14
07-16-2011, 09:29 AM
I think "refreshing" is the best way to describe his play thus far. Well said. I think his sound fundamental play has quite a bit to do with the coaching in Louisville. Methinks that coaching changes are needed, and we need to look no further than Louisville, Ky. I like Dusty, semper fi. But, this team just is not fighting the way I want them to. Maybe this team needs some more "refreshing" influences.

Maybe we can bring Lou back in, get him out of retirement :p

TheBigLebowski
07-16-2011, 11:24 AM
I am a big Cozart fan. I will even go as far as to say we've shored up this position for the next few years.

Now, let's fix LF (Heisey full-time, anyone), figure out whither Drew Stubbs and add a starter.

malcontent
07-16-2011, 01:12 PM
I am a big Cozart fan. I will even go as far as to say we've shored up this position for the next few years.

Now, let's fix LF (Heisey full-time, anyone), figure out whither Drew Stubbs and add a starter.

Agree. I like Cozart's swing. So much better than Janish's. Not sure why he was ever considered a glove-only type when drafted, as I seem to recall.

As for Stubbs, career-wise he's been better hitting in the 7-hole than leading off (0.777 to 0.730).

But we know how Baker feels about speed at leadoff, so it's pointless to even consider.

TheBigLebowski
07-16-2011, 03:31 PM
Agree. I like Cozart's swing. So much better than Janish's. Not sure why he was ever considered a glove-only type when drafted, as I seem to recall.

As for Stubbs, career-wise he's been better hitting in the 7-hole than leading off (0.777 to 0.730).

But we know how Baker feels about speed at leadoff, so it's pointless to even consider.

Janish does not swing. He uses a wooden implement to cause a disturbance in the air 3-4 seconds after a leather-bound sphere has sped past him.

Old NDN
07-16-2011, 03:48 PM
Well, Cozart's doing so well, Dusty has him on the bench today. "Playing SS, and batting 2nd Renteria." Pathetic. Biggest win this year and Baker benches his SS, moves Heisey to 7th, and inserts Stubbs as leadoff. Why?

Cincy10
07-16-2011, 03:51 PM
Well, Cozart's doing so well, Dusty has him on the bench today. "Playing SS, and batting 2nd Renteria." Pathetic. Biggest win this year and Baker benches his SS, moves Heisey to 7th, and inserts Stubbs as leadoff. Why?

Exactly what i was wondering. Why kill the momentum of a kid who goes 3 for 5 and plays a big part in the win last night? And then move a guy who hits 2 homers down in the lineup and put the strikeout machine batting leadoff?? I dont see the logic

wlf WV
07-16-2011, 04:10 PM
Exactly what i was wondering. Why kill the momentum of a kid who goes 3 for 5 and plays a big part in the win last night? And then move a guy who hits 2 homers down in the lineup and put the strikeout machine batting leadoff?? I dont see the logicI agree.I think this is the biggest line up error he's made.I hope it's a mistake.

Tuff Nut
07-16-2011, 04:55 PM
Exactly what i was wondering. Why kill the momentum of a kid who goes 3 for 5 and plays a big part in the win last night? And then move a guy who hits 2 homers down in the lineup and put the strikeout machine batting leadoff?? I dont see the logic
I've stopped trying to figure out Dusty.:confused: I can see Stubbs being inserted, but he really isn't a lead off hitter, 'cept he has phenominal speed.(just can't utilize it, because he cannot/willnot bunt). My bigger surprise is that Heisey is even getting another start, period. That to me says something. I was betting that Gomes would be back out, there swinging at air, but, hey hey. :) He, JG, has atleast shown me more defensively than Lewis, who shoulda tried harder on those 'punk' hits Puljos and Holliday had off Cueto.
As for Cozart. Fully impressed, and imo, should get the majority of PT. After last night, I am surprised he isn't starting, then getting an off day Sunday. But, Edgar is gonna have to get some starts, to show he can still be effective, or may as well have another youngster, not named Janish, as a back up IF.

Old NDN
07-17-2011, 08:14 PM

Well, just shows how much I know: Stubbs and Renteria a couple of knocks, Heisey looked foolish in a couple of AB's. In Dusty I trust.lol But they still lost!

malcontent
07-17-2011, 10:00 PM
Janish does not swing. He uses a wooden implement to cause a disturbance in the air 3-4 seconds after a leather-bound sphere has sped past him.
:laugh:

bounty37h
07-18-2011, 10:42 AM
It really is refreshing watching this guy play. He seems to do all the little things right day in and day out so far. His base running is awesome, especially tonight tagging up from 1st on that ball hit to RF from Votto. I can't remember the last time I saw a Red do that. He was also clutch tonight scoring the runner from 3rd base in a situation with the bases juiced and less than 2 outs. For some reason we have the hardest time scoring runs in that situation. I hope some others on the team actually learn a thing or two from him and how he plays the game.
:beerme:

And in his first week in the majors he has as many homers as the rest of the Reds S.S. the entire first half of the season.

fingokra
07-18-2011, 09:25 PM
Cozart fan here(my first post), and it is great to see him doing so well. Got his first MLB homerun against college teamate Lance Lynn, and tonight he is going against another college teamate and hot rookie Alex Presley. Still trying to figure out how a team with Cozart, Presley, Seth Smith, Matt Tolbert, Chris Coughlin, M. Maloney, Lynn, etc. didn't make the CWS.