PDA

View Full Version : Breaking Bad Season 4 Premiere Sun 10pm AMC (Spoilers!)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

ervinsm84
07-17-2011, 11:43 AM
Best show on television returns tonight.

Nothing is really close to delivering week in and week out this high quality of entertainment. S4 premiere even got a 96 on metacritic, which if you follow that, u know how absurdly high of a rating that is.

Anyone here watch Mr. White?

If you need to catch up on the show, I can give you the links n websites that will stream old episodes free without downloading anything

Sweetstop
07-17-2011, 02:53 PM
pizza anyone?

yep. it's good .

watch out for the aztek!

Spazzrico
07-17-2011, 04:21 PM
Best show on television returns tonight.

Nothing is really close to delivering week in and week out this high quality of entertainment. S4 premiere even got a 96 on metacritic, which if you follow that, u know how absurdly high of a rating that is.

Anyone here watch Mr. White?

If you need to catch up on the show, I can give you the links n websites that will stream old episodes free without downloading anything

I definitely need to catch up. I've only gotten through season 1. Great show so far.

kaldaniels
07-17-2011, 05:41 PM
I was gonna ask about this one as I've seen the ads lately. Tell me about this show please...no spoilers cause I've never watched an episode. Thanks!

Redsfaithful
07-17-2011, 07:28 PM
Pretty psyched for this. Great show.

Kaldaniels, it's about a chemistry teacher who turns to crime to support his family after receiving a terminal cancer diagnosis, but it's so much more than that.

ervinsm84
07-17-2011, 10:18 PM
I definitely need to catch up. I've only gotten through season 1. Great show so far.

either of these should have multiple links for each episode of each season to stream.

http://www.free-tv-video-online.me/internet/breaking_bad/

http://www.iwatchbreakingbad.com/

I was gonna ask about this one as I've seen the ads lately. Tell me about this show please...no spoilers cause I've never watched an episode. Thanks!

Gist is it follows Walter White, an underachieving mid 40's high school chemistry teacher who is diagnosed with terminal cancer. In order to leave his pregnant wife and teenage son a nest egg, he turns to cooking crystal meth as his last ditch way to provide enough money for them after hes gone. The show follows his trip down the rabbit hole as he gets deeper and deeper into the world of cooking crystal meth, often with serious consequences.

Its a very, very dark show. Morally you will get a sick twisted knot in your stomach watching some of the things that take place. If you or anyone has trouble getting through an episode of dexter, breaking bad is a lot worse imo. But, it has the best characters, best acting, and the best writing. I hate to overyhype a show, and have it not meet expectations, but this is definitely worth a watch.

Redsfaithful
07-18-2011, 01:41 AM
Don't think I'll ever look at a box cutter the same way again.

Razor Shines
07-18-2011, 10:14 AM
That scene with Gus in the lab was about as perfect as a TV scene can get.

medford
07-18-2011, 10:51 AM
We've been DVRing AMC's run thru the last 3 seasons (they ran 2 a night for a while, then when they got thru all 3 seasons, they restarted, going 3 a night every Wednesday night in prep for season 4.) We've finally made it all the way thru season 2, and will be starting season 3 pretty soon, w/ season 4 currently qued up on the DVR. I love this series, as I do most of AMC's stuff. I hope they do something similar with Mad Men so we can do the same w/ that series.

Homer Bailey
07-18-2011, 11:08 AM
Last night was about the 200th time this show has made me legitimately drop my jaw. Just awesome.

Reds Fanatic
07-18-2011, 02:07 PM
That scene with Gus in the lab was about as perfect as a TV scene can get.

Just an awesome scene. One of the more powerful scenes I have ever seen where the actor did not say a word through the whole scene until the very end.

ervinsm84
07-20-2011, 07:41 AM
nsfw violence and will obv be spoilers from Ep 1 S4 and prior seasons so be warned. Inside BB S4 ep1 interviews with walt, jesse, and gus

‪Inside Breaking Bad 401: Box Cutter [HD]‬‏ - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQ9-Ig3GfZk&feature=related)

07-20-2011, 06:55 PM
Just an awesome scene. One of the more powerful scenes I have ever seen where the actor did not say a word through the whole scene until the very end.

Scenes like that win awards. Esposito deserves a bunch of them for his performance so far in the other seasons. This could finally get him what he's deserved.

And Jesse's line at the Denny's was a game changer for the series, imo.

Homer Bailey
07-21-2011, 12:42 PM
Scenes like that win awards. Esposito deserves a bunch of them for his performance so far in the other seasons. This could finally get him what he's deserved.

And Jesse's line at the Denny's was a game changer for the series, imo.

Which line?

CTA513
08-15-2011, 12:35 AM
Gale whole song from Breaking Bad - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wugY6HNLOCo)

Heres the direct link in case the video doesn't show up above:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wugY6HNLOCo

:dancingcool:

medford
08-19-2011, 08:57 AM
So finally caught up w/ the rest of season 3, now thru season 4 and just last night reached the point where were up to day. I'm going to miss not having 1-2 shows to watch at a time a couple of times a week, actually having to wait for a new episode. By far, my favorite show on TV ever (though I haven't watched the wire yet, next time HBO starts showing a full run on HBO on demand starting w/ season 1, I"ll probably catch up on that show) I love the cast of characters in this show and how they've been able to expand it beyond just Walt & Jessie's story.

ervinsm84
08-22-2011, 09:22 AM
I am the one who knocks!!

Homer Bailey
08-22-2011, 12:35 PM

Legendary quote. I rewound it twice to watch it. Got goosebumps.

Walter White- I AM the danger - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfvtcFSu9Ps)

medford
08-26-2011, 12:36 PM

Loved that quote, absolutely loved it.

I also liked Skylar's quote near the end of the episode:

"I'm trying to protect the family from the man protecting this family" or something along those lines.

Redsfaithful
08-26-2011, 02:33 PM
That quote will be remembered for decades.

medford
08-26-2011, 04:06 PM
That quote will be remembered for decades.

Ironically, I'm not sure that AMC even realized that.

We finally watched the episode last night, so this afternoon I was on amctv.com reading the details page for that episode. On the detail page they mention Hal's quote about not being in danger, he is the danger or something along those lines, but no reference to the quote that will likely be tied to this show for a long time.

"I am the one who knocks!"

ervinsm84
08-29-2011, 09:39 PM
last nights episode may be the best one yet this season.

jesses monologue at the rehab center was so good

Homer Bailey
08-30-2011, 09:45 AM
Help me out a bit. What is it exactly that the cartel wants? Walter? Or Walter dead? I'm a bit confused.

Redsfaithful
08-30-2011, 12:49 PM
Help me out a bit. What is it exactly that the cartel wants? Walter? Or Walter dead? I'm a bit confused.

I might be wrong, but I don't think it's been explicitly laid out yet.

CTA513
08-30-2011, 03:25 PM

I think its either Walter or Jesse dead but I can't remember.

ervinsm84
08-30-2011, 07:36 PM
I've read differing opinions on this, but the majority I've seen, including myself, believe that the cartel wants in on the distribution of the blue stuff. gus effectively cut the cartel off from the southwestern united states and has that entire area to himself.

however, the other view ive seen is that the cartel just wants walt dead (recall the cousins). while im not 100% sure this idea is wrong, but from what I've read on other forums those who believe the cartel only wants walt share a high correlation with those who thought jessie didn't kill gail and those who tried to argue jessie was not using this season.

Homer Bailey
09-06-2011, 05:34 PM
Ummm.... bump.

What an episode. What kind of theories do you guys have? Questions I've seen floated out there:

Is Gus gay? Do you care? (I couldn't care less. I think it has nothing to do with the story.

What did Gus mean when he says to Hector, "Is this the day?" and "Maybe next time."

Who is this Don Eladio character?

Is Gus's main motivation simply revenge?

P.S. Did everyone notice the 3rd guy at the meeting was the guy from the cartel that Gus had killed in his home?

Razor Shines
09-06-2011, 05:47 PM
That was one of the best episodes of any tv show I've ever seen.

Right now I am leaning toward him being gay and out for revenge. But there are so many other things it could be.

ervinsm84
09-06-2011, 06:57 PM
i think hes gay (would seem odd to pay for only a best friends education), but I don't think were gonna get a definitive yes/no on that like omar in the wire did with some of his kissing scenes.

either way I don't think gus being gay really affects the story at all.

The most interesting part to me was who really is gus. I think he was probably involved with pinochet in some way, maybe DINA, a general, or relative of pinochet or one of his right hand men.

also stumbled on some money laundering stuff regarding pinochet and Riggs bank that was a massive scandal involving fronts, business shell companies to filter drug, illegal arms, and other black markets money to him. possibly gus was or is directly involved with that type of thing, but its just a wild guess.

Danny Serafini
09-06-2011, 11:52 PM
For the life of me I have no idea where anyone is getting this Gus is gay thing. Seems like a huge reach to me. But the last 10 minutes or so of that episode was incredible.

Homer Bailey
09-07-2011, 09:58 AM
For the life of me I have no idea where anyone is getting this Gus is gay thing. Seems like a huge reach to me. But the last 10 minutes or so of that episode was incredible.

Read up on it. I don't have any direct links, but I read a message board that discussed the Spanish words that were used in that final scene led a native spanish speaker to believe he was gay. Basically, Gus's buddy (can't remember his name) reffered to Gus as his "companero", which is spanish for companion, where as the word "blank" (I can't remember what the word was) would be used in Spanish to describe a business partner.

Also, the taunting that Hector does to both of them after he urinates in the pool by saying the two of them "like what they see", and he blew them three kisses. Could just be a way of demeaning his guests that he did not respect, but he could also be taunting the fact that they were gay.

There are conflicting reports with what was said on the podcast, where Vince said it was open to interpretation, but other producers hinted that it was true.

Again, not that applicable to the storyline at all, but an interesting debate.

Redsfaithful
09-07-2011, 11:29 AM
Their interaction and the conversation led me to believe they were more than friends. I don't think it matters that much, except to suggest that Gus would have taken his death harder than he might have if they were simply friends.

The Gus/Pinochet connection possibility is really interesting. I really hope we see Gus' background fleshed out more with more flashbacks.

I'm sort of more interested in Mike and Gus at this point than Walt. Which is nothing against Walt's storyline, it's all excellent, but Mike and Gus are really intriguing.

ervinsm84
09-19-2011, 01:16 AM
This show just continues to top itself week in and week out. I dont know how they do it. A+ opening scene with jessie taking control of the lab while Gus and Mike nod in almost fatherly like approval. Even better ending/closing scene

Redsfaithful
09-19-2011, 02:22 AM
I feel emotionally drained every week after I watch this show. It's incredible. Only other show I can even compare it to is The Wire, and it's getting closer and closer to how good that was.

RFS62
09-19-2011, 10:53 AM
This show just continues to top itself week in and week out. I dont know how they do it. A+ opening scene with jessie taking control of the lab while Gus and Mike nod in almost fatherly like approval. Even better ending/closing scene

No kidding. What fantastic writing and acting.

Reds Fanatic
09-26-2011, 12:11 AM
Another amazing episode. What an ending. Every week you swear this show can't possibly get any more intense and they just keep topping themselves every week.

Razor Shines
09-26-2011, 10:40 AM
Am I the only one surprised that Walt doesn't have $500K? Even after the $617K they gave to Beneke......he makes over $7mil a year...maybe it just hasn't been as long as I think. How old is the baby now?

Reds Fanatic
09-26-2011, 02:24 PM
Am I the only one surprised that Walt doesn't have $500K? Even after the $617K they gave to Beneke......he makes over $7mil a year...maybe it just hasn't been as long as I think. How old is the baby now?

Actually I read an interview with the shows creator in which he said the whole series has taken place within the same year. So while the series has been on several seasons the story from the beginning to now has taken place within the same year.

Redsfaithful
09-26-2011, 03:48 PM

$600k+ to Beneke, Car wash was $800k, he's paid for Hank's health care, which is probably hundreds of thousands, he blew up a $55k car, and I think he's only been working for Gus for a few months in show time. Just thinking out loud. Plus he might have still had a healthy amount of money down there, hundreds of thousands even, but he needs $500k for 4 identities, plus money to live on. Possibly forever.

That ending last night was an all time great. Think I'll remember that forever.

Razor Shines
09-27-2011, 08:44 PM
$600k+ to Beneke, Car wash was $800k, he's paid for Hank's health care, which is probably hundreds of thousands, he blew up a $55k car, and I think he's only been working for Gus for a few months in show time. Just thinking out loud. Plus he might have still had a healthy amount of money down there, hundreds of thousands even, but he needs $500k for 4 identities, plus money to live on. Possibly forever.

That ending last night was an all time great. Think I'll remember that forever.

That probably is right. For some reason I was thinking that it had been close to a year and Walt was nearing $6mil or so.

Tom Servo
09-30-2011, 06:35 AM
http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ls5egmn1u71qgixzlo4_400.gif

Homer Bailey
09-30-2011, 10:43 AM
http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ls5egmn1u71qgixzlo4_400.gif

Love the show. 2nd greatest show I've ever seen, and it has a chance to rank as #1. However, the Beneke death was kind of strange to me. What the heck was up with that? He dies running in the house?

jredmo2
09-30-2011, 06:31 PM
Love the show. 2nd greatest show I've ever seen, and it has a chance to rank as #1. However, the Beneke death was kind of strange to me. What the heck was up with that? He dies running in the house?

Is he for-sure dead? I thought they left it ambiguous, but could have missed that part.

RFS62
10-01-2011, 10:36 AM

Yeah, that was the weakest thing I've seen on this show since day one.

And they did leave it up in the air as to his condition, I think.

What incredible writing and performances.

Ohayou
10-01-2011, 09:31 PM
And they did leave it up in the air as to his condition, I think.

The oranges falling on him was a direct homage to The Godfather. I think it's safe to assume he's dead.

RFS62
10-02-2011, 09:25 AM
The oranges falling on him was a direct homage to The Godfather. I think it's safe to assume he's dead.

Interesting. Is that just your opinion, or have you seen that somewhere?

Regardless, IMO it was lame, especially relative to everything else they've done in that show.

Redsfaithful
10-02-2011, 09:40 AM
I don't want to defend it too much, because I think a lot of the Skyler storyline this season has been lacking a little (all relative, still great writing compared to most television), but I think his death was kind of fitting given how stupid he's acted all season. He didn't really "deserve" a respectable death, if that makes sense.

Ohayou
10-02-2011, 11:34 AM
Interesting. Is that just your opinion, or have you seen that somewhere?

Regardless, IMO it was lame, especially relative to everything else they've done in that show.

As an amateur writer myself, I can usually predict most endings of movies and see little cues as to what's going to happen next or see what little techniques they're trying to use to tell me the story. But recognizing what they're trying to do doesn't make me enjoy the movie less. Something might seem really obvious, but I recognize that just might be because I'm good at recognizing it and I'm not going to let that ruin a movie for me.

Homer Bailey
10-03-2011, 01:17 AM
Another amazing hour of television. On the edge of my seat the entire episode. Ridiculous.

ervinsm84
10-03-2011, 03:00 AM
I didnt really like the way they wrapped up Teds storyline either. Seemed a bit too easy and convenient almost like a soap opera storyline where the character gets hit in the head and loses their memory, except this time they had him die. Other than that though, I loved last weeks episode. Was an amazing closing scene with walt looking up out through the hole as if its his grave hes looking out from.

But my oh my oh my tonight was very very good. I think at this point Im leaning towards Walt actually being behind the ricin poisoning, even though Id imagine most people didnt take away the same thing. Stuff that jumped out to me to support it being Walt.

1. Gun spinning scene with walt and a plant, almost like spinning the gun between just killing himself and doing some horrible (poisoning the child). Btw, ricin castor beans that are poisonous do grow on a plant http://www.library.illinois.edu/vex/toxic/castor/castor.htm

2. Walt had a lot of unaccounted time in this episode

3. I highly doubt that Gus would have waited to this point if he knew about the cigs for a long time and then choose this exact moment to make some kind of powerplay with the heat hes getting from the DEA going on. Last thing he needs is an unstable Jesse.

4. Scene at saul's that shows him getting patted down by one of Saul's guys was an opportunity for the Cigs to be replaced or changed or whatnot.

5. This shows buildup all 4 seasons has been just how far will Mr. White break bad. And I cant come up with a more disturbing way than for Mr. White to have set this all up.

6. Walts in a desperate situation and would be willing to take such an extreme risk

7. Walt has a lot to gain from poisoning the kid if he can use that to get Jesse back.

8. Walt is obv confident in being able to convince Jesse he'd never do such a thing. Cant fault Jesse for buying it given Walts history and Gus' history in said situations.

9. Jesse/Walt are the only two who know about the ricin. Jessie will probably always go to Walt first to address this head on. Jessie just doesnt know hes about to get leveled by Walt with his, "theres no way id do this" "what would I gain" "isnt this exactly what gus wants? you to kill me" "THINK JESSIE!!"blah blah when actually Walt gains everything he needs if he pulls it off. Was a huge gamble, but it paid off. And really, didnt have many other options.

10. Gus not getting in the car was a bit of a stretch, but i guess theyll say its bc Jesse said the kid was poisoned. Gus wonders how Jesse or the doctors could have determined this with such little info.

11. As a result, Gus picks up on the genius situation Walt created to get jesse back and feels threatened and picks up on something being off.

/conspiracy theory :-)

prob way off and nowhere near right but if so obv i told you so. wee freerolls

Homer Bailey
10-03-2011, 10:52 AM
Pretty awesome analysis there ervin, although I do not agree.

I'm still not seeing the reasoning behind why Walt would poison the kid. I don't think he needed to "get Jesse on his side." He knew that Jesse was not allowing Gus to kill Walt, so despite Walt and Jesse not being on speaking terms, he should know that Jesse was still on his side just based on the fact that he hadn't been killed yet.

Razor Shines
10-03-2011, 04:18 PM
Pretty awesome analysis there ervin, although I do not agree.

I'm still not seeing the reasoning behind why Walt would poison the kid. I don't think he needed to "get Jesse on his side." He knew that Jesse was not allowing Gus to kill Walt, so despite Walt and Jesse not being on speaking terms, he should know that Jesse was still on his side just based on the fact that he hadn't been killed yet.

First I agree, great analysis erv.

I could see both sides. Walt knows that Jesse wasn't allowing Gus to milk him but he knew Jesse wouldn't be on board with killing Gus unless something drastic happened. Maybe it was just "fortunate" (for Walt unfortunate for the boy) that something happened to turn Jesse against Gus, or maybe Walt has no bottom on what he'll do to protect his family and engineered Jesse's turning against Gus.

Razor Shines
10-03-2011, 04:30 PM
My wife just reminded me about Walt letting Jesse's girlfriend die. This is another couple steps beyond that but its not ridiculous to think he's capable of poisoning the kid.

Redsfaithful
10-03-2011, 04:43 PM
The creator of the show has said it's about watching Mr. Chips become Scarface.

I don't think Walt did it, but considering the above I'm really not sure.

RFS62
10-03-2011, 05:35 PM
The creator of the show has said it's about watching Mr. Chips become Scarface.

I don't think Walt did it, but considering the above I'm really not sure.

Wow. I hadn't heard that. That scenario isn't so unthinkable, after reading the past few posts.

ervinsm84
10-03-2011, 05:49 PM
This http://www.amctv.com/breaking-bad/videos/inside-breaking-bad-episode-412-end-times interview thats up on AMC with cranston and giancarlo esposito seems to suggest that Gus was not aware of the poisoning and that as he was walking to his car he had an epiphany.

Key parts start at the 3:27 min mark

from real life giancarlo:

" Gus doesnt really know the circumstance of all that happened. Then finds out what that is."

"then a clue happens." (when jessie says boy was poisoined)

"as hes walking out hes thinking in his head, the boy was poisoned? poisoned? poisoned?"

"and he realizes he parks where hed always park. Then it hits him."

While this doesnt confirm that Walt did it (ive read theories that Saul set it all up), I think it does kinda remove Gus from the List of Possible people

I also dont think its possible the boy ingested it accidentally based off the time frame that jessie gave for when he last had the cigs and bc its not like ricin was mixed in and could be smoked. It was actually stored in a vial inside the cig. I really want Walt to be behind all of this bc I think it just shows how terrible hes become, but idk if thats for sure what the writers are doing.

ANother thing in support of walt doing it though is we have to remember how big of an ego Walt has. Even in EP 1 of this season when jessie and walt have the sit down in front of Mike and Gus and its really tense Walts ego is huge. Same thing with Hank at the dinner table and cant let Gail take the blame as heisenberg. So why would Walt, actually admit to ever being outsmarted by Gus. That doesnt fit with his whole ego thing, even in a desperate spot, unless he was lying.

Redsfaithful
10-03-2011, 08:58 PM
I sort of wonder if Walt might have given the kid something milder that would wear off after a few days but have similar symptoms, along with stealing the cigarette.

ervinsm84
10-03-2011, 10:31 PM
I sort of wonder if Walt might have given the kid something milder that would wear off after a few days but have similar symptoms, along with stealing the cigarette.

thats definitely very possible as well.

Homer Bailey
10-05-2011, 11:19 AM
You guys brought up a lot of excellent points that makes me now think Walt did it.

Sent from my HTC Incredible using tapatalk

ervinsm84
10-08-2011, 10:12 PM
<24 hours till orgasm

Ohayou
10-09-2011, 05:16 PM
Bryan Cranston on the Letterman show, October 7th 2011 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHPCitt94XQ#t=7m40s)

I already know what happens during the finale, I'm just curious what object he's talking about. Hopefully not the obvious...

Tom Servo
10-09-2011, 11:07 PM
http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab52/robochrist/noeye.jpg

CTA513
10-09-2011, 11:09 PM
nothing a little makeup can't fix

Ohayou
10-09-2011, 11:20 PM
And it was the obvious.

I saw that picture immediately after 'End Times' aired. It was confirmed real by an article earlier today, so that's how I knew. :(

Homer Bailey
10-09-2011, 11:38 PM
And it was the obvious.

I saw that picture immediately after 'End Times' aired. It was confirmed real by an article earlier today, so that's how I knew. :(

I had seen the picture, but thought it was an internet fake. No way did I think they would actually use that. What the heck was the point of having Gus walk out of that room? Insanely unrealistic.

Finale was amazing otherwise.

Ohayou
10-09-2011, 11:55 PM
I had seen the picture, but thought it was an internet fake. No way did I think they would actually use that. What the heck was the point of having Gus walk out of that room? Insanely unrealistic.

Finale was amazing otherwise.

TBH, there was nothing unrealistic about his wound, his not dying immediately, or his shock induced reaction. Remember the chimpanzee lady?

Homer Bailey
10-10-2011, 12:01 AM
TBH, there was nothing unrealistic about his wound, his not dying immediately, or his shock induced reaction. Remember the chimpanzee lady?

A guy gets half his face blown off, walks perfectly straight out of a room, straightens his tie, then collapses and dies?

And I'm not sure what you mean by the chimpanzee lady.

Ohayou
10-10-2011, 12:06 AM
A guy gets half his face blown off, walks perfectly straight out of a room, straightens his tie, then collapses and dies?

People don't die instantaneously from missing part of the face and his adjusting tie reaction was due to being disoriented.

A woman had her entire face torn off by a chimpanzee and she's still alive.

Razor Shines
10-10-2011, 12:33 AM

Read the Lone Survivor. Luttrell claims one of the guys kept fighting a short time with half his face blown off. He specifically mentioned him trying to "fix" his appearance.

I don't know about a chimpanzee lady either.

ervinsm84
10-10-2011, 12:35 AM

winner

Redsfaithful
10-10-2011, 12:50 AM

Two things:

1) Love that the finale's title was Face Off, no hyphen.

2) Gus is the chicken man. It's not surprising he kept moving after he was basically dead.

Incredible season of tv. I'm glad more is coming, but that could have been the series finale and it would have been satisfying.

Homer Bailey
10-10-2011, 01:06 AM
Two things:

1) Love that the finale's title was Face Off, no hyphen.

2) Gus is the chicken man. It's not surprising he kept moving after he was basically dead.

Incredible season of tv. I'm glad more is coming, but that could have been the series finale and it would have been satisfying.

Both points you just made blew my mind.

Yes, pun intended.

yab1112
10-10-2011, 09:22 AM

I feel the same way. Kinda makes me wonder what conflicts they're saving for next season and the eventual series finale. I hope it's not Walt vs. Jessie but I have a feeling that's exactly what it'll be.

And to those who figured out it was Walt that poisoned Brock, nice call! I had my doubts about that theory because I figured there was no way they'd have the main character do something that would give the audience such a good reason to root against him, or at least not sympathize with him.

Do all of you still find yourselves rooting for Walt despite what he did?

Homer Bailey
10-10-2011, 10:10 AM
I feel the same way. Kinda makes me wonder what conflicts they're saving for next season and the eventual series finale. I hope it's not Walt vs. Jessie but I have a feeling that's exactly what it'll be.

And to those who figured out it was Walt that poisoned Brock, nice call! I had my doubts about that theory because I figured there was no way they'd have the main character do something that would give the audience such a good reason to root against him, or at least not sympathize with him.

You gotta think that Hank finds the surveillance tape, right? I think it's the Hank/Walt showdown we've always been waiting for.

And I found myself giving Walt a "tip of the cap" as the camera panned in on the Lily of the Valley flower. He outsmarted one of the biggest and smartest criminals on the planet, and took down the most powerful man he had ever come in contact with, and did so with an amazing plan that actually worked.

ervinsm84
10-10-2011, 12:42 PM

I think i mostly stopped rooting for Walt after he let Jane die in S2 despite whatever justifications he had. I dont think I stopped sympathizing with him till this episode though, but thats mostly bc of Cranston being a GOAT level actor in this series. Also, mostly just been fascinated with his story and how far he would go.

As twisted as it sounds, I kinda wish the kid died even though Walt used a "milder" poison. Even if he only intended to "just get him sick" itd be interesting to see how close his justification scenes with after the plane crash would mirror or contrast how he processed doing such a terrible thing.

Im pretty sure S5 has to be contain these main story arcs.
1. we know the Cartel never could Kill Gus bc of "who he was." Walt never knew about this. This has to become a central part of S5. If the cartel wouldnt kill him without being scared, Walts gonna get got or really close to it.

2. Hank v Walt as Hank continues to probe around and has to eventually find out. Also, they might be completely effed bc Gus was killed meeting a known cartel guy, and if they examine Gus's computers and stuff at Los Pollos, he has video surveillance of Walt and Jesse all over the place stored on his computer, unless they are gonna say bc the cameras were destroyed, then that destroyed the stuff on his computer

3. Jesse v Walt, likely concluding with Jesse finding out or figuring out Walt poisoned Brock. Possibly culminating with Jesse or Walt killing the other. Would be an emotional wreck to watch Walt kill Jesse, especially given that Jesse is practically more his son than Walt Jr.

Ohayou
10-10-2011, 07:03 PM

To call Walt entirely selfish would be a bit too far fetched, IMO. There's reasoning behind what he did.

Also, I don't know if you guys caught this or what, but after Jesse and Walt shook hands and Jesse was leaving, the camera was angled from the perspective of someone hiding. If you listen closely, you can hear what sounds like breathing. This makes me wonder if Mike played a role in helping Walt. He was clearly acknowledging someone in the car at the end. Who else would have that air freshener? You could say it was Gus' car, but unless it was moved, it wasn't parked in the same place as it was in 'End Times', at least from what I saw.

Buckeye33
10-11-2011, 07:41 AM
Also, I don't know if you guys caught this or what, but after Jesse and Walt shook hands and Jesse was leaving, the camera was angled from the perspective of someone hiding. If you listen closely, you can hear what sounds like breathing. This makes me wonder if Mike played a role in helping Walt. He was clearly acknowledging someone in the car at the end. Who else would have that air freshener? You could say it was Gus' car, but unless it was moved, it wasn't parked in the same place as it was in 'End Times', at least from what I saw.

This is a great observation and theory. I'm sure Mike figured out that he was pretty much left for dead when he was shot and all the medical staff worked on Gus until he was stable before they even thought about helping Mike. I also agree that the air freshener could not have been Gus' car, as it was not parked on the roof of the parking garage when he abandoned it.

Homer Bailey
10-11-2011, 10:05 AM
To call Walt entirely selfish would be a bit too far fetched, IMO. There's reasoning behind what he did.

I re-wound the scene several times. It's not breathing, but it's tires screeching in the parking garage. Which could still be an interesting discussion point, but it is definitely not breathing.

And what evidence do we have that Gus's car wasn't parked where it was in End Times? I thought it was pretty clear that Walt was inside the garage when he stopped at the car, and it's not clear that he was acknowledging someone in the car. Is it possible? Sure. But I think people are digging a bit too far into subtleties here.

Ohayou
10-11-2011, 11:47 AM
I re-wound the scene several times. It's not breathing, but it's tires screeching in the parking garage. Which could still be an interesting discussion point, but it is definitely not breathing.

And what evidence do we have that Gus's car wasn't parked where it was in End Times? I thought it was pretty clear that Walt was inside the garage when he stopped at the car, and it's not clear that he was acknowledging someone in the car. Is it possible? Sure. But I think people are digging a bit too far into subtleties here.

Yeah, I just did too. You're right.

It probably was Gus' car. It did have the same air freshener, but from where Walt was coming from, it didn't look like it was where it should be. The buildings looked different, too. Whatever... I'll just assume the obvious happened.

Homer Bailey
10-11-2011, 02:35 PM
Yeah, I just did too. You're right.

It probably was Gus' car. It did have the same air freshener, but from where Walt was coming from, it didn't look like it was where it should be. The buildings looked different, too. Whatever... I'll just assume the obvious happened.

I've read a lot of other people's opinions that were similar to your original one, but by my memory, Gilligan has never given an incredibly subtle hint to try and keep us guessing, and had it actually come through, has he?

I've worded that pretty poorly, but it's hard to put into words what I'm trying to say. Basically, I don't think we're supposed to have to rewind several times to try to pick up on clues.

medford
10-17-2011, 03:13 PM
I loved the ending, a big part of me wished the show would have ended right there. Much of the story wrapped up, a few loose ends to leave you wondering where the future laid.

I'm not sure what season 5 will bring. It appears that Hank will have to eventually learn of Walt's doings, at least to some degree. I think the Cartel angle is done, Gus mentioned how everyone eas dead, so I don't think Walt gets anything from that side. The DEA, thru Hank appears to be the only angle left for Walt to deal with.

Bold (and not so bold) predictions:

Jessie & Walt will have a fall out, something will have to drive them apart. The poisoning of Brock seems obvious, but it could be another angle.

Hank catches wind of Jessie's involvement, and thru Jessie learns of Walt's involvement. while the DEA is coming down on Jessie, Hank keeps the Walt angle to himself, hoping to be 100% sure before bringing the heat.

Mike returns from Mexico, recovering from his gun shot wounds to help Walt keep Jessie out of trouble. Walt doesn't know that Jessie has clued Hank in that walt is involved, but discovers that towards the end of the series.

Walt devises a plan to both throw Hank off his trail and to put an end to Jessie. Walt thinks that he's killed Jessie, but there are questions remaining despite the complete dissapearance of Jessie. Walt either convinces hank he's clean, or Hank lets it slide as Walt convinces him he's out of the game and owes him one for taking care of his medical bills.

Flash forward either 5 or 18 years later, walt is working in the car wash, working in the office, presumably moved on with his life and doing well. A worker comes in after working on either his daughter or Walt, Jr's car and informs Walt that he's found a big back of "blue" in the trunk it appears that Jessie is back cooking, and like the air controller's situation with his daugher, Walt's life has now come full circle. Cut to credits.

MWM
12-07-2011, 02:18 AM
Just finished watching the first 4 seasons. Fantastic show and am completely clueless as to what could come next.

As much as Cranston gets much of the fanfare for this show, the kid playing Jesse is the best actor on the show. Unreal performance week in and week out by him.

ervinsm84
06-12-2012, 12:47 AM
Sunday July 15, the GOAT show currently on TV returns to form on AMC for the airing of the first 8 of the final 16 episodes. There will then be a break, and a return for the final 8.

Short S5 Preview
Breaking Bad Season 5 Promo #1 (HD) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0BuC2OrVIU&feature=plcp)

And some fond memories **NSFW language** in vids below

The Transformation of Walter White | Breaking Bad [HD] - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuN-70bICR4&feature=related)

Choices That I Have Made - Walter White | Breaking Bad [HD] - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VvtnDvdxRE&feature=relmfu)
Accepting Who We Really Are | Walt & Jesse | Breaking Bad [HD] - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryqpcCrgt5o&feature=related)

The Best of Breaking Bad | Funny Moments/Bloopers [HD] - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNUjMnmw6EU&feature=related)

The Man | The Myth | The Legend | Gus Fring Tribute | Breaking Bad [HD] - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZesTqaT-Ydg&feature=related)

ervinsm84
06-18-2012, 01:12 AM
Less than 1 month to go for S5

http://i.imgur.com/kktn6.jpg

Homer Bailey
06-18-2012, 06:39 PM
Love your passion for this show ervin. Can't wait.

5TimeWSChamps
07-03-2012, 11:15 PM
11 days...

R_Webb18
07-04-2012, 12:04 AM
1 of the best shows out there and i watch a lot of tv

ervinsm84
07-12-2012, 12:56 AM
Really close to the beginning of S5. New interview with Bryan Cranston and the AV club.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/bryan-cranston-breaking-bad-john-carter,82309/

MWM
07-12-2012, 09:08 AM
I was watching an Seinfeld episode lately that had Tim Whatley (the one where he hosted the party Jerry wasn't invited to) and I watched it for a bit before I even realized that was the same Bryan Cranston. Hard to believe it's the same person.

Reds Fanatic
07-12-2012, 11:17 PM
I can't wait. By far the best show on television now.

Good article today on 10 major moments in Walter White's transformation from Mr. Chips to Scarface:

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/12/showbiz/tv/breaking-bad-chips-scarface/index.html

Ohayou
07-13-2012, 04:43 AM
Avoid reading the reviews at Metacritic.

medford
07-13-2012, 10:39 AM
I was watching an Seinfeld episode lately that had Tim Whatley (the one where he hosted the party Jerry wasn't invited to) and I watched it for a bit before I even realized that was the same Bryan Cranston. Hard to believe it's the same person.

He also played the neighbor (perhaps just 1 episode, perhaps more) to Doug Heffernon on King of Queens as I discovered on TBS the other evening.

RBA
07-15-2012, 03:31 PM
Just got an email from Netflix. Season 4 has now been added to Netflix.

Ohayou
07-15-2012, 04:08 PM
Just got an email from Netflix. Season 4 has now been added to Netflix.

Their timing couldn't be anymore damned inconvenient. :laugh:

Razor Shines
07-15-2012, 05:24 PM
Their timing couldn't be anymore damned inconvenient. :laugh:

Seems perfect to me. If you haven't seen season 4 you could record tonight's episode and easily blow through season 4 in a week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Homer Bailey
07-17-2012, 04:09 PM
Well? What did we think of the premiere?

ervinsm84
07-18-2012, 07:12 PM
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-wgPXCGj5bOs/UATU014grsI/AAAAAAAABcs/0IJxZc9GRaU/s720/breakingbad.gif

Time for a Myth Busters Breaking Bad special episode.

Also really surprised that Ted is somehow not dead. Feels like Vince Gilligan trolled us with the oranges and the "better off Ted" title of the episode.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m78psyjtdp1r17qi5o7_250.gif

Still loved it though. One thing to note from reddit. Flash forward in the beginning where he is 52 is ~1 year in the future bc he was 50 in the pilot and its been about a year of actual time to that point. He also didnt have on his wedding ring, which they showed him wearing when he told Skyler "I forgive you" at the end of the episode.

http://i.imgur.com/TI3yU.jpg

Gonna be really interesting to see how Walt gets to that point and I hope we find out soon.

http://i.imgur.com/zFFkN.jpg

http://i.minus.com/iKeOYXzQJ2R1d.gif

Rojo
07-18-2012, 07:53 PM
Watched the first episode last night. Was really disappointed. Actually thought it was pretty awful. I'm assuming it gets better? Like The Wire after the first season?

ervinsm84
07-18-2012, 09:51 PM
Watched the first episode last night. Was really disappointed. Actually thought it was pretty awful. I'm assuming it gets better? Like The Wire after the first season?

Each season is better than the one before it. Gaps of improvement are probably like S4>>>>>S3>>>>S2>1, but I'm afraid S5 may be the first season to break that. S4 of this show is just so hard to top.

But, if you didn't like the pilot (and tbh I'm surprised you didnt, but different strokes for different folks) you probably wont end up liking the show very much. You could give it another episode or two, but I vividly remember being hooked after episode 1.

Rojo
07-19-2012, 12:08 AM
But, if you didn't like the pilot (and tbh I'm surprised you did, but different strokes for different folks) you probably wont end up liking the show very much. You could give it another episode or two, but I vividly remember being hooked after episode 1.

Definitely not hooked. I went through this with MadMen.

BTW, I think these "buzz shows" get too much of a free ride. Every single one of them is "the best show on television". Sopranos is the mold for most of these. And, IMO, it's still far-and-away the best one.

ervinsm84
07-19-2012, 02:13 AM

BTW, I think these "buzz shows" get too much of a free ride. Every single one of them is "the best show on television". Sopranos is the mold for most of these. And, IMO, it's still far-and-away the best one.
Fwiw, I think mad men is massively overrated and dont particularly care for it. I've watched most of them though bc my wife likes the show a lot. So I do think that Breaking Bad is hands down the best show on TV, but its not really a huge claim to fame. Plus it's still a small niche market on a relatively obscure cable channel. The premiere only got 2.9 million viewers just to show how few people are really watching this show.

I mean sopranos was one of the first to do television in that type of story telling style, and is a great series. Also one of the first anti hero ones that I can recall, and paved the way to where now anti-heros are fairly common in tv.

I still like the wire more than sopranos though, but that's bc its more important socially and way more quotable dialogue. Its really common on a a night out with my friends for someone to make some sort of Wire reference to something or quoting a one liner here or there.

WMR
07-19-2012, 03:05 AM
I believe that time on the show is going to begin progressing exponentially this season. It's pretty wild that the first four seasons covered only one year considering how much has happened.

RiverRat13
07-21-2012, 05:45 PM

I watched the first three or four episodes when they originally aired and gave up on the show. Then everyone kept saying how great it was so I gave it a shot through Netflix and it got much better. I'm not like many who think it is the best show of all time, but I do enjoy it.

Tommyjohn25
07-22-2012, 11:36 AM
Yeah, it took me 3 or 4 episodes to really start to feel a connection to the show. Now? I think it truly is the best show on TV.

Brutus
07-28-2012, 03:35 AM
OK wow.

I actually am one of the many people that had not seen a single episode until very recently (like, last few weeks). That's not unusual, as I don't watch a ton of television, but when I hear buzz for a TV show I've often started watching late. In fact, I didn't watch a single episode of LOST until the night after the finale and it would up being my favorite TV show ever (I watched the entire series in a matter of about six weeks, give or take).

So, as with many other shows, I just recently started watching this one after the hype for the final season. It took me about 4-5 shows to really get into it, but once I did, I was pretty hooked. Personally, the fourth season I think was one of the best seasons of TV I've seen. It was phenomenal writing, brilliant acting and captivating cinematography. While I don't watch a ton of television, I've always been an aspiring screenwriter/author and for me, this is an amazing series. So for those of you who have yet to watch or only barely started watching, I'd advise you give it more time. In my estimation, the series got better with each passing season.

I'm kind of glad I started watching late, though. It's more fun to watch a series like this marathon-style. Now I'll have to go week-by-week with everyone else for the rest of the series.

ervinsm84
07-28-2012, 06:05 AM
I'm kind of glad I started watching late, though. It's more fun to watch a series like this marathon-style. Now I'll have to go week-by-week with everyone else for the rest of the series.

Get ready for torture bc I marathoned the first 3 seasons over a few weeks and it was a big adjustment for me during S4 going week to week. Didn't make me enjoy the show any less, but being able to marathon a great series is so much better than watching it week to week. Especially a show that flows the way this has from episode to episode.

ervinsm84
07-30-2012, 01:00 AM
uh wow.

Chip R
07-30-2012, 02:15 PM
OK wow.

I actually am one of the many people that had not seen a single episode until very recently (like, last few weeks). That's not unusual, as I don't watch a ton of television, but when I hear buzz for a TV show I've often started watching late. In fact, I didn't watch a single episode of LOST until the night after the finale and it would up being my favorite TV show ever (I watched the entire series in a matter of about six weeks, give or take).

So, as with many other shows, I just recently started watching this one after the hype for the final season. It took me about 4-5 shows to really get into it, but once I did, I was pretty hooked. Personally, the fourth season I think was one of the best seasons of TV I've seen. It was phenomenal writing, brilliant acting and captivating cinematography. While I don't watch a ton of television, I've always been an aspiring screenwriter/author and for me, this is an amazing series. So for those of you who have yet to watch or only barely started watching, I'd advise you give it more time. In my estimation, the series got better with each passing season.

I am the same way. I knew the marathon would be on but I only have so much time to watch and space on my DVR to hold them. I heard that if you watched the pilot and skipped the rest of season 1 you would be OK. So over the past few weeks I saw most of seasons 2-4 and have watched all of season 5 so far. Great series. I enjoy seeing Jonathan Banks again. He was on one of my old favorite shows, Wiseguy.

Ohayou
07-31-2012, 01:54 PM

Some episodes of The Sopranos are perfect. but it does have its dull points and the characters can be grating. Every character in the final season seemed to piss me off.

Getting back on topic, if I had to voice a complaint so far it would be that I feel they're going too fast regarding Walt's evilness. Seasons 1-2, 2-3, 3-4, there was a nice fluid transition. Walt's characterization so far in S5 just doesn't seem to flow from S4 as well as previous years.

Brutus
07-31-2012, 01:59 PM
Some episodes of The Sopranos are perfect. but it does have its dull points and the characters can be grating. Every character in the final season seemed to piss me off.

Getting back on topic, if I had to voice a complaint so far it would be that I feel they're going too fast regarding Walt's evilness. Seasons 1-2, 2-3, 3-4, there was a nice fluid transition. Walt's characterization so far in S5 just doesn't seem to flow from S4 as well as previous years.

I dunno. I think there has always been a little push forward, pull back with Walt. So far season 5 seems to be the same kind of back and forth we've always seen. At the end of the fourth season, he was starting to have thoughts about getting out of the business entirely and focus on his family, but I think he realized there wouldn't be money coming in and he figured with Gus out of the picture, he could take over with minimal risk of harm.

The progression seems consistent to me, but we'll see how far they go with this.

Razor Shines
07-31-2012, 06:45 PM
Well Gilligan and Cranston have said it's a Mr. Chips to Scarface transformation. We know where he ends and they've given three huge clues that it's going there over the last two seasons.

1. Steven Bauer playing Don Eladio.

2. Buying a M60 in the season 5 teaser scene from episode 1.

3. Watching Scarface in the last episode.

I'm sure there are more those are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head. I think Walt's "break" toward the bad has increased this season.

Homer Bailey
08-01-2012, 12:27 AM

I haven't seen it quite the same way you have. I see it more as Walt thinks he's that evil and powerful, when it is probably going to come back to bite him pretty soon here. I'm not trusting Mike that much these days, and I think some stuff is going to hit the fan here pretty soon. Not exactly a bold prediction considering the nature of this show, but I don't think people respect Walt's evil and power nearly as much as he thinks they do.

Brutus
08-01-2012, 12:52 AM
I haven't seen it quite the same way you have. I see it more as Walt thinks he's that evil and powerful, when it is probably going to come back to bite him pretty soon here. I'm not trusting Mike that much these days, and I think some stuff is going to hit the fan here pretty soon. Not exactly a bold prediction considering the nature of this show, but I don't think people respect Walt's evil and power nearly as much as he thinks they do.

Very true. Mike would have wasted Walt after he killed Gustavo if not for Jesse having earned Mike's respect and not wanting him to do it.

That said, I tend to think they'll wrap up the arc with Walt pulling back at the end. I think everyone seems to expect his demise and I think Vince ultimately thrives on towing the fine line between good and evil.

ervinsm84
08-01-2012, 01:32 AM
So, assuming gilligan isn't misleading us I think it's safe to conclude the ricin vial will come into play somehow again. Not really sure how it will, but I'm pretty confident it will play a significant role.

My insane conspiracy theory:

1. the ricin vial is hidden behind an outlet
2. we know it can easily be put into a cigarette if someone wants to poison someone
3. Skylar has started smoking due to stress/fear of Walt
4. Marie knows about Ted/affair and may ask Skylar about it
5. Skylar holds back and doesn't tell truth, but is beyond pissed at Walt and confronts him for being painted as the bad person
6. Walt fears she may say eff it all and confess to Marie
7. Walt ........

no he couldn't possibly do that could he?

http://cdn.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/shut-up.gif

19braves77
08-01-2012, 05:03 PM
Great season so far...

Really hoping for a Mike spin off series. Scenes I enjoyed from the last episode was the cooking scenes ( been awhile ) and the scene with Walt & Jessie about " being too close to the sun". Not clear if it was a warning to Jessie or Mike or Walt realizing how deep all this really is.....

The book at the beginning is by Walter Whitman. Its about "sense' and realizing your existence.

Question: Who do you think Walt kills first this season to make a point ?

Brutus
08-01-2012, 05:13 PM
Great season so far...

Really hoping for a Mike spin off series. Scenes I enjoyed from the last episode was the cooking scenes ( been awhile ) and the scene with Walt & Jessie about " being too close to the sun". Not clear if it was a warning to Jessie or Mike or Walt realizing how deep all this really is.....

The book at the beginning is by Walter Whitman. Its about "sense' and realizing your existence.

Question: Who do you think Walt kills first this season to make a point ?

I think it was a warning to Mike, but said to Jesse with subtle undertones that he's in charge. His assertion, I thought, was that Mike had no authority to decide who else gets paid.

If there's a spin-off, personally, I want it to be Saul Goodman lol

There could be a pretty funny crime sitcom with Goodman as the main character.

Kingspoint
08-01-2012, 05:29 PM
There is one really weak part that I didn't get.

How can "all of the cousins" who would exact revenge be killed?

And, why wouldn't another (or several fight for it) cartel just swoop in and take over?

Kingspoint
08-01-2012, 05:32 PM
Question: Who do you think Walt kills first this season to make a point ?The tweaker who played Solfeggietto at the music store.

kaldaniels
08-01-2012, 05:45 PM
The tweaker who played Solfeggietto at the music store.

I'm not just going to stand here and do nothing while you defile Skinny Pete! :D

Chip R
08-02-2012, 08:53 AM
If there's a spin-off, personally, I want it to be Saul Goodman lol

There could be a pretty funny crime sitcom with Goodman as the main character.

There have been rumblings that Saul will be in a spinoff but nothing concrete.

Razor Shines
08-02-2012, 08:57 AM

Yes and David Cross comes in to play his para legal.

Homer Bailey
08-02-2012, 10:10 AM
I think Walt's first victim will be the guy who played Landry from Friday Night Lights. The character that said he disabled the nanny cam. He wasn't supposed to talk to them.

Chip R
08-02-2012, 10:15 AM
I think Walt's first victim will be the guy who played Landry from Friday Night Lights. The character that said he disabled the nanny cam. He wasn't supposed to talk to them.

You mean "Lance." ;)

ervinsm84
08-02-2012, 01:48 PM

Definitely a possibility. That character almost has to come in to play a bigger role given that he's a relatively known actor. I've seen a lot of theories thrown out about it and I think him being Walts future victim is probably one of the better ones. One guessed he was an undercover cop that was trying to bust the robbing group and has now stumbled on this bigger criminal conspiracy. I think that's unlikely though bc Mike is Mike, and he's the one who did the background checks on the guys.

Brutus
08-02-2012, 03:12 PM

That would be awesome.

Homer Bailey
08-02-2012, 04:09 PM
Definitely a possibility. That character almost has to come in to play a bigger role given that he's a relatively known actor. I've seen a lot of theories thrown out about it and I think him being Walts future victim is probably one of the better ones. One guessed he was an undercover cop that was trying to bust the robbing group and has now stumbled on this bigger criminal conspiracy. I think that's unlikely though bc Mike is Mike, and he's the one who did the background checks on the guys.

Whoa that's a crazy thought.

19braves77
08-03-2012, 03:50 AM
Hard not to root for Hank:

http://i.imgur.com/VXhqv.jpg

ervinsm84
08-05-2012, 11:34 PM
yep, skyler's gonna get got

19braves77
08-06-2012, 01:10 AM
My stomached turned with the Skylar escape plan. Reminded me of the episode "Fly" were so much was said without really much action.

19braves77
08-06-2012, 01:34 AM
"Heists can usually ends in two ways, the guys who get away and those who leave loose ends..."

08-06-2012, 02:57 AM
I'll be really disappointed if tne climax is that one of his family members has to die in order to keep the business going. It's extremely cliche', pretty much the conflict of every criminal story.

ervinsm84
08-06-2012, 03:25 AM
My stomached turned with the Skylar escape plan. Reminded me of the episode "Fly" were so much was said without really much action.

Pretty good catch on your part bc I just read they brought back the same guy who directed Fly to do that episode. I'm sure that explains the similarities.

Brutus
08-06-2012, 06:09 PM
What a dark episode that was, but seems to be the logical progression.

Personally, though, I don't think anything is gonna happen to Skyler. Actually, I think she's going to wind up breaking bad herself and help Walt. The same thing happened with Carmela in the Sopranos for a period of time. She was struggling with her own culpability in Tony's lifestyle, and distanced herself from it. Then she wound up using his lifestyle to her advantage after a long while, and manipulating people with Tony's reputation. In the end, I think she softened as did Tony try to break away, but I think we're going to see Skyler embrace the lifestyle sometime here soon.

ervinsm84
08-06-2012, 08:07 PM
http://i.imgur.com/jr0dA.jpg

Homer Bailey
08-07-2012, 10:25 AM
ervin.... that's awesome.

19braves77
08-08-2012, 05:28 PM
Its amazing how Skylar and Walt have changed places yet rarely anybody is rooting for her. Vince Gilligan said that was by design because most of the time in real life, we seldom root for the victims.

Razor Shines
08-09-2012, 11:35 AM
Anybody have a guess what Walt's "plan" is? Before Jesse gave Walt his watch he said "I liked your plan, I think it's the way to go.". All we saw Walt say was that they aren't ramping down and what not. So am I just reading too much into Jesse's line or was there more that we weren't shown?

Danny Serafini
08-09-2012, 02:09 PM
I think he's just happy Walt stopped Mike from shooting Lydia, that's all.

19braves77
08-09-2012, 02:26 PM
I some how think Walt is going to try to sell his business to the cartel that was battling Gus. That is the plan....

Tom Servo
08-09-2012, 02:32 PM
I think he's just happy Walt stopped Mike from shooting Lydia, that's all.
Yeah, that's what I got from it.

Not allowing Mike to deal with Lydia is definitely going to be a large part of their downfall, methinks.

Razor Shines
08-09-2012, 05:22 PM
You guys are probably right, I think it was just the use of the word "plan" that threw me off.

Brutus
08-09-2012, 05:24 PM
You guys are probably right, I think it was just the use of the word "plan" that threw me off.

I don't think you're off base. I think the word "plan" insinuated there was more discussed in the meeting that we haven't yet been privy to.

Brutus
08-12-2012, 11:03 PM
It turns out, Walt did indeed have an actual plan.

Tom Servo
08-12-2012, 11:03 PM
Damn! I was thinking the last 10-15 minutes or so were pretty predicable (you knew the train plan would work), but that last minute got me. Todd breaking Jesse's #1 rule.

Chip R
08-12-2012, 11:52 PM
Landry kills again.

ervinsm84
08-13-2012, 12:29 AM
What's amazing to me, is I was really confused about the opening scene and even spent a few minutes trying to guess how that kid would come into play this episode and what/if the spider/jar was some kind of metaphor or that maybe later in the season the kid would find something incriminating from past seasons in the desert. After the tension with lydia tied up/walt bugging hank etc I completely forgot about the entire opening scene of a kid being in a desert the whole time they were robbing a train in the desert.

Completely blown away

Walt/Jesse reactions in this picture say a lot

http://i.imgur.com/3BgUj.jpg?1

Also loved this exchange:
Walt: You're a smart business woman. You understand the concept of leverage.
Lydia: Don't patronize me
Walt: YOU HAVE NONE!

idk if these #'s are accurate on the yield or $ but saw it posted elsewhere.

http://i.imgur.com/njojj.png

Brutus
08-13-2012, 01:50 AM
What's amazing to me, is I was really confused about the opening scene and even spent a few minutes trying to guess how that kid would come into play this episode and what/if the spider/jar was some kind of metaphor or that maybe later in the season the kid would find something incriminating from past seasons in the desert. After the tension with lydia tied up/walt bugging hank etc I completely forgot about the entire opening scene of a kid being in a desert the whole time they were robbing a train in the desert.

Completely blown away

Also loved this exchange:
Walt: You're a smart business woman. You understand the concept of leverage.
Lydia: Don't patronize me
Walt: YOU HAVE NONE!

I was perplexed by the kid in the opening scene as well but forgot about him by the end.

My favorite part of the episode though:

Skyler, looking at Walt's dirty hands: "Burying bodies?"

Walt: "Robbing a train."

19braves77
08-13-2012, 02:51 AM
From here on out, I am willing to bet there will be a high body count.

I like the way the movie "Heat" was mentioned. The showdown between Hank and Walt is being forshadowed.

Poor Jessie. The whole beef with Gus to begin with was the use of kids. Now they are no different.

What a great hour of TV.

Razor Shines
08-13-2012, 01:34 PM
So much for not killing any innocents.

Is Todd going to live through another episode?

Redsfaithful
08-13-2012, 02:33 PM
I briefly had the thought that Todd might be undercover, mostly because they were using a well known actor for the role. Not so much I guess.

19braves77
08-13-2012, 03:27 PM
I plan on watching that train segment again with no volume until the gunshot.

Brutus
08-13-2012, 03:53 PM
So much for not killing any innocents.

Is Todd going to live through another episode?

I think I read somewhere that Todd was going to play a rather large role in the final season, so I imagine he'll last a while longer.

Razor Shines
08-13-2012, 04:08 PM
I think I read somewhere that Todd was going to play a rather large role in the final season, so I imagine he'll last a while longer.

I think it's pretty clear Walt is going to side with Todd over Jesse on this one, so if Jesse or Mike don't kill Todd is Walt going to start trying to phase out Jesse and bring in Todd?

Also, I have to say I love that Bill Burr is on this show.

Homer Bailey
08-13-2012, 05:06 PM

Not a huge deal, but I know I'd prefer not to get spoilers like this based on information that is outside the actual content of the episodes.

WildcatFan
08-13-2012, 08:13 PM
I think the Jesse James allusion is carrying further than just this episode. Remember he was assassinated by a member of his own gang.

Razor Shines
08-13-2012, 08:24 PM
I think the Jesse James allusion is carrying further than just this episode. Remember he was assassinated by a member of his own gang.

Well Mike thinks that Walt is Robert Ford. In his mind Jesse James is already dead. I imagine Walt looks at it differently.

19braves77
08-13-2012, 10:13 PM
What about the foreshadowing of "Heat" ?

Earlier this season, Walt is watching Scarface starring Al Pacino. He is a bad guy. In Heat, Al Pacino is a cop. In "Heat", partnerships are ruined by the main characters accomplice's rogue actions that leads to the groups death.

Also, Hank saying that he is never going to give "Holly" back plays into the rumors that Breaking Bad will end with Walt Jr. having an accident, Skyler killing herself after outing Walter as Heisenberg, Holly becoming responsibility of Hank and Marie and Walt on the run.

kaldaniels
08-13-2012, 10:33 PM
Let's be careful about possible spoilers. Thanks.

WildcatFan
08-14-2012, 10:13 AM
Well Mike thinks that Walt is Robert Ford. In his mind Jesse James is already dead. I imagine Walt looks at it differently.

Good point, did Mike actually say that? I must have missed it.

Razor Shines
08-14-2012, 11:33 AM
Good point, did Mike actually say that? I must have missed it.

Well he said "Just because you killed Jesse James doesn't mean you're Jesse James."

ervinsm84
08-19-2012, 06:01 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=VQG5_rR4hog

Brutus
08-19-2012, 06:41 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=VQG5_rR4hog

I don't know where on earth anyone got the idea to do that, but that's absolutely brilliant. The scenes are perfectly in sync with the music.

Very well done.

Brutus
08-19-2012, 11:08 PM
So if I'm reading these circumstances correctly, I should surmise Todd will become Walt's new partner?

19braves77
08-20-2012, 02:20 AM
That opening scene made my tummy sick but I couldn't take my eyes off the screen.

The jar is so important now. Todd kept it because it has the boys fingerprints on it. He is going to use it for leverage.

Walt is going to be facing a three headed beast: Himself, his partners, and Arizona Kingpin Declan.

Razor Shines
08-20-2012, 09:43 PM
What do the note say that Mike left for the DEA? It was kind of blurred out when I watched it.

Brutus
08-20-2012, 09:48 PM
What do the note say that Mike left for the DEA? It was kind of blurred out when I watched it.

It said eff you, except not cleaned up for Redszone :)

Razor Shines
08-20-2012, 10:14 PM
It said eff you, except not cleaned up for Redszone :)

I don't buy it, I think he was informing on Walt. I think Gilligan originally wanted us to see it but then changed his mind but it was too late to cut the scene so blurring it was the best he could do.

Brutus
08-20-2012, 10:20 PM
I don't buy it, I think he was informing on Walt. I think Gilligan originally wanted us to see it but then changed his mind but it was too late to cut the scene so blurring it was the best he could do.

The blurring didn't really mask what was on the note. It was pretty plain as day lol

Razor Shines
08-20-2012, 10:27 PM
The blurring didn't really mask what was on the note. It was pretty plain as day lol

Yeah, I've read the rumor that you're referring to but I just don't see it.

ervinsm84
08-20-2012, 10:29 PM
Yeah, I've read the rumor that you're referring to but I just don't see it.

You're joking right?

Tom Servo
08-20-2012, 10:32 PM
I'm pretty sure Razor is just rustling our jimmies.

Razor Shines
08-20-2012, 10:40 PM
I'm pretty sure Razor is just rustling our jimmies.

You're telling me you believe that there wasn't a hidden message in that note even though only two letters were blurred out? Ridiculous.

Brutus
08-20-2012, 10:45 PM
You're telling me you believe that there wasn't a hidden message in that note even though only two letters were blurred out? Ridiculous.

OK Razor, now you've made it clear. I honestly thought you were being serious until this post lol

camisadelgolf
08-20-2012, 10:47 PM
Kind of a cool article.
http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/culture/2012/07/the-uncannily-accurate-depiction-of-the-meth-trade-in-breaking-bad.html

So it’s somewhat surprising that in depicting the mechanics of the meth business, “Breaking Bad” is so notably realistic. I spent the past six months interviewing drug traffickers and D.E.A. agents for an article about the business side of a Mexican drug cartel, and, having been an ardent fan of “Breaking Bad,” I was startled by how much the show gets right.

08-21-2012, 08:19 PM
Not to give out spoilers for those TiVo'ing the show, but I've been having serious logic problems with the show for the past few seasons.

The last few episodes have provided the biggest one.

With $5M in hand, Walt can start pretty much any empire he wants, and there is no way he's not smart enough to understand this. While there is a lot of realism on the show, it's slowly getting closer to a Telemundo telenovela.

Brutus
08-21-2012, 08:31 PM
Not to give out spoilers for those TiVo'ing the show, but I've been having serious logic problems with the show for the past few seasons.

With $5M in hand, Walt can start pretty much any empire he wants, and there is no way he's not smart enough to understand this. While there is a lot of realism on the show, it's slowly getting closer to a Telemundo telenovela.

I don't think it's unrealistic at all. It's become an obsession. He found something he's good at, and he doesn't want to make the same mistake of quitting on it he did before.

camisadelgolf
08-21-2012, 08:55 PM

You're talking about a decision that would be easy and logical for someone who's sane. Walter White's lack of sanity has already been established.

Brutus
08-21-2012, 08:57 PM
You're talking about a decision that would be easy and logical for someone who's sane. Walter White's lack of sanity has already been established.

Yep. That was clearly contrasted in the story with Jesse's decision to take the money and his not understanding why Walt wouldn't do the same.

08-21-2012, 09:04 PM

Introducing insanity like this is just lazy writing, it allows you to do anything with no need for believability. Again, like a telenovela.

There are ways to use insanity that maintains believability, it seems like the writers are struggling to keep the plot interesting, and are throwing out believability to do so. To be fair, this is fairly common for shows after their third season, but I expected more from this show.

camisadelgolf
08-21-2012, 09:12 PM
Introducing insanity like this is just lazy writing, it allows you to do anything with no need for believability. Again, like a telenovela.

There are ways to use insanity that maintains believability, it seems like the writers are struggling to keep the plot interesting, and are throwing out believability to do so. To be fair, this is fairly common for shows after their third season, but I expected more from this show.
I'm not sure I'd call how they portrayed his insanity 'lazy' writing. After all, they've devoted five seasons to it. It's not like he was always acting rationally (although one could say it has gotten progressively worse as time has gone on).

bigredmechanism
08-21-2012, 09:48 PM

I'm not sure it's lazy writing. He's turning bad; it's the name of the show.

He wants an empire.

Brutus
08-21-2012, 09:57 PM

I wholeheartedly disagree with you here. The whole premise of the show has been building up his insanity for five seasons. It's gotten progressively worse. There have been times where they'd pull back a bit, but for the most part, it's been getting more and more pronounced.

ervinsm84
08-21-2012, 10:27 PM
I'd get the criticism of him becoming too irrational if it hadn't come into play repeatedly throughout the seasons with a gradual build to this point. But it's something that has built up from S1 throughout each year. I guess maybe it's too big of a leap for someone to buy, but Idk why this one would jump out more than multitude of other things he's done that a rational person would never do.

I mean, I think the biggest leap of logic if we want to nitpick would have been him turning down a really good job with Gray Matter in S1 and having all of his health care taken care of and instead he chose to go cook crystal meth. What was the reason he did that? His pride, ego and arrogance wouldn't let him take charity and the added backstory of how he sold his shares for 5k along with some type of fall out with Elliot and the other partner in the company. Even though it was definitely the best decision for his family to take the position at Gray Matter. Any rational person in that spot would snap accept that offer given the situation, especially when the alternative is cooking crystal meth.

They've gradually pushed the idea of Walt's ego becoming bigger and bigger to the point that it's out of control and he thinks he's untouchable. ("Because I said so" line comes to the foreground this season) He gets all of his self worth and pride in feeling like "the man" when he's Heisenberg, the big bad meth king, bc in his regular life before this, he was just an underachieving, stuck in a rut guy who was struggling from pay check to pay check with a wife who bossed him around and wasn't far from being just an emasculated coward.

Walt's ego needs to be fed and fed again. He truly believes and has lived with the regret of not having kept his shares in Gray Matter that he should be the owner of a company worth billions. The only way at this point for him to achieve any level of self worth and ego fuel of that level is to run a meth empire.

Is it fanciful? Sure. Any rational person would not do this. Just like any rational person would not return to cooking meth when offered a lucrative salaried position with full health care. Just like any rational person wouldn't walk into Tuco's headquarters in S1 with a bag full of fake blue meth that's explosive and try to blow up the place. Just like a rational person doesn't go and proposition/black male some drug dealer kid he taught in high school cook meth together. Just like a rational person doesn't go and try to steal a barrel of methylamine from some company with his only accomplice being a drug addict. Just like any rational person wouldn't try and bug a freaking DEA agents office when he leaves the room to get a cup of coffee. Especially when that DEA agent is his brother in law.

There's tons of other examples like this that built up over the seasons. A rational person doesn't go to the lengths he did to ensure that Jessie was always involved in the business when Gus initially wanted nothing to do with Jessie due to his drug problem.

Chip R
08-21-2012, 10:42 PM
They've gradually pushed the idea of Walt's ego becoming bigger and bigger to the point that it's out of control and he thinks he's untouchable. ("Because I said so" line comes to the foreground this season) He gets all of his self worth and pride in feeling like "the man" when he's Heisenberg, the big bad meth king, bc in his regular life before this, he was just an underachieving, stuck in a rut guy who was struggling from pay check to pay check with a wife who bossed him around and wasn't far from being just an emasculated coward.

Walt's ego needs to be fed and fed again. He truly believes and has lived with the regret of not having kept his shares in Gray Matter that he should be the owner of a company worth billions. The only way at this point for him to achieve any level of self worth and ego fuel of that level is to run a meth empire.

I think you have explained that quite well.

I think he also does it for the rush. The rush of doing something risky where if it goes wrong he could die or be sent to prison. I also think he wants to show everyone he is the smartest guy in the room. He wants people to appreciate his genius but it is something that can't be shown to everyone. It's like when he got drunk at Hank and Marie's and told Hank that Gale wasn't Heisenberg. He couldn't stand Gale getting the credit for his work, his genius. Speaking of Gale, I think that had something to do with Gale being fired as his partner. It wasn't necessarily because of his affection for Jesse, it was because Gale was too perfect. He couldn't boss him around because Gale knew about as much as he did.

08-21-2012, 10:52 PM
I understand the gradual decent into insanity, and it worked until the last two seasons. I just think this particular plot twist is too contrived and over the top. I thought the same thing last season, but to a lesser extent.

Like I said, I expected better from the writers.

ervinsm84
08-21-2012, 10:53 PM

I think he also does it for the rush.The rush of doing something risky where if it goes wrong he could die or be sent to prison. I also think he wants to show everyone he is the smartest guy in the room. He wants people to appreciate his genius but it is something that can't be shown to everyone. It's like when he got drunk at Hank and Marie's and told Hank that Gale wasn't Heisenberg. He couldn't stand Gale getting the credit for his work, his genius. Speaking of Gale, I think that had something to do with Gale being fired as his partner. It wasn't necessarily because of his affection for Jesse, it was because Gale was too perfect. He couldn't boss him around because Gale knew about as much as he did.
Agree with all this, but especially the bolded

I also wonder how many times he's said something along the lines of "MYYYY RECIPE!!!!" as if he was doing some great work of scientific achievement.

The show is a very interesting look into the entire psyche of the male ego.

Brutus
08-21-2012, 11:00 PM

I think he also does it for the rush. The rush of doing something risky where if it goes wrong he could die or be sent to prison. I also think he wants to show everyone he is the smartest guy in the room. He wants people to appreciate his genius but it is something that can't be shown to everyone. It's like when he got drunk at Hank and Marie's and told Hank that Gale wasn't Heisenberg. He couldn't stand Gale getting the credit for his work, his genius. Speaking of Gale, I think that had something to do with Gale being fired as his partner. It wasn't necessarily because of his affection for Jesse, it was because Gale was too perfect. He couldn't boss him around because Gale knew about as much as he did.

I think the Gale thing was a combination of his affinity for Jesse, the fact Gale was intelligent and also that he knew Gale's learning would make Walt expendable to Gus.

19braves77
08-21-2012, 11:02 PM
Vince said Grey Matter will be further explored this season and why he was bought out. I am betting he was basically fooled into a "Buyout" like he is going to fool Mike and Jessie.

Razor Shines
08-21-2012, 11:04 PM
I think the Gale thing was a combination of his affinity for Jesse, the fact Gale was intelligent and also that he knew Gale's learning would make Walt expendable to Gus.

Also, wasn't that to keep Jesse from going after Hank?

ervinsm84
08-21-2012, 11:07 PM
I understand the gradual decent into insanity, and it worked until the last two seasons. I just think this particular plot twist is too contrived and over the top. I thought the same thing last season, but to a lesser extent.

Like I said, I expected better from the writers.

I think the other thing they are trying to hammer home though is to remove any of the Walt apologist out there who might have tried to claim all of his problems have been due to mostly circumstances out of his control. I think he truly started down the "breaking bad" path when he turned down the Gray Matter position to the point that he's no longer "breaking bad," he just is simply "bad." I thought they've done enough to show that transformation, but I understand why someone may think otherwise bc well, Jessie would say 5 mill is 5mill. I guess we'll just agree to disagree.

Brutus
08-21-2012, 11:07 PM
Also, wasn't that to keep Jesse from going after Hank?

I think you're right. I can't remember the exact timing of Jesse's threats, but that sounds correct.

Tom Servo
08-21-2012, 11:10 PM
Walt has been shown to be stubborn and thickheaded forever. He refuses to walk away with less than what he could possibly make like he walked away from Gray Matter.

R_Webb18
08-21-2012, 11:37 PM
the dinner scene was amazing

Brutus_the_Red
08-22-2012, 01:15 AM
I keep coming back to the ricin hidden in Walt's room. I think that's going to come back in the end.

And yes, the dinner scene was absolutely hilarious.

08-22-2012, 01:31 AM
IIRC, the Gray Matter deal had something to do with another woman and Skylar. She was played by Jessica Hecht (Ross's ex-wife's lesbian lover from Friends). Anybody remember that, or am I remembering it wrong.

WildcatFan
08-22-2012, 09:32 AM
the dinner scene was amazing

Jesse's reaction when Skyler brought up the affair is my favorite thing he's done on the whole show after "Yeah *****, science!" Just kept chugging that glass of water while glancing around. So funny.

RichRed
08-22-2012, 10:05 AM
Jesse's reaction when Skyler brought up the affair is my favorite thing he's done on the whole show after "Yeah *****, science!" Just kept chugging that glass of water while glancing around. So funny.

Aaron Paul deserves another Emmy for that scene alone. Just so awkward and hilarious.

kaldaniels
08-22-2012, 10:09 AM
IIRC, the Gray Matter deal had something to do with another woman and Skylar. She was played by Jessica Hecht (Ross's ex-wife's lesbian lover from Friends). Anybody remember that, or am I remembering it wrong.

Wow she looks different.

Yet another Seinfeld alum on the show as well - she was the annoying laugher.

08-22-2012, 12:51 PM

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/2f7a14bbb1/breaking-bad-spin-off-series

WildcatFan
08-23-2012, 11:14 AM
http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/2f7a14bbb1/breaking-bad-spin-off-series

Oh that's terrific.

Tom Servo
08-26-2012, 11:10 PM
Mike :cry:

19braves77
08-27-2012, 02:07 AM
Walt has my permission to die .

Did anybody notice who else was wearing black briefly in this episode ?:eek:

Why would you allow Todd to right down the formula to your blue meth ?

CTA513
08-27-2012, 04:18 AM

I also thought that was odd since you have no idea if you can really trust him.

Chip R
08-27-2012, 09:00 AM

If Jesse isn't going to be helping him, he can't exactly place a want ad out on Craig's List. Besides, Walt's teaching again. He loves teaching young minds chemistry. Also, Todd is more low maintenance than Jesse was. It could come back to bite Walt in the ass but he doesn't have a lot of choices.

19braves77
08-27-2012, 11:10 AM
So, is the end-game for these first 8 eps. to somehow kill the nine guys or how how Walt for the first time killed someone out of anger when the before it was always out of desperation ?

One thing that would tie this season up well is allowing Skylar and Jessie to connect. They both lost someone in the transformation of Walt.

Tommyjohn25
08-27-2012, 02:01 PM
Wow. I went from always finding myself rooting for Walt, in a way, to borderline hating him after one episode.

WildcatFan
08-27-2012, 02:34 PM

It's also interesting that in an episode where Walt loses his grip on Jesse when Jesse decides he doesn't care about the money that he employs a new partner that doesn't seem to care about money from the get-go. It's always been Walt's leverage, and his desperation is clouding his judgment there.

Not that judgment has been his best friend for five years, though.

Chip R
08-27-2012, 02:53 PM
It's also interesting that in an episode where Walt loses his grip on Jesse when Jesse decides he doesn't care about the money that he employs a new partner that doesn't seem to care about money from the get-go. It's always been Walt's leverage, and his desperation is clouding his judgment there.

Not that judgment has been his best friend for five years, though.

Walt had a point about Jesse. What's he going to do now? Video games, go carts, partying and getting back on drugs? He didn't seem to be having too much fun doing that. Kind of like that old Twilight Zone episode where the gangster dies and he had anything he wanted: girls, booze and won every time he gambled. Pretty soon he got sick of it and asked why heaven sucked so much. His guardian "angel" told him he wasn't in heaven but in hell and had to do all that stuff for eternity. If Jesse doesn't get back with Walt, he's going to be stuck doing that same crap all the time. Of course if he gets back with Walt he's either going to die or go to prison.

I think Jesse, almost as much as Walt, needs the excitement of being in the meth business.

Tom Servo
08-27-2012, 02:56 PM
Will be interesting to see how Walt plays Mike's death. Does he just tell Jesse that Mike left? But unless Walt does something to the body, he will be found by the police and it will get out. Walt telling Jesse the truth is not a likely option.

WildcatFan
08-27-2012, 03:16 PM
Walt had a point about Jesse. What's he going to do now? Video games, go carts, partying and getting back on drugs? He didn't seem to be having too much fun doing that. Kind of like that old Twilight Zone episode where the gangster dies and he had anything he wanted: girls, booze and won every time he gambled. Pretty soon he got sick of it and asked why heaven sucked so much. His guardian "angel" told him he wasn't in heaven but in hell and had to do all that stuff for eternity. If Jesse doesn't get back with Walt, he's going to be stuck doing that same crap all the time. Of course if he gets back with Walt he's either going to die or go to prison.

I think Jesse, almost as much as Walt, needs the excitement of being in the meth business.

Jesse rarely spends money--he's got a house and car both paid off and had just that one run of splurging when he bought the sound system. I bet he's got enough money saved up to at least keep him going until he finds something he wants to do. I agree there's a temptation to go back to being a good-for-nothing kid, but he's grown up a ton in the last two seasons. I think he wants a family and a job and to do good for once in his life. As strange as it is, the last few months of the meth business has taught him some responsibility.

Brutus
08-27-2012, 06:32 PM
Wow. I went from always finding myself rooting for Walt, in a way, to borderline hating him after one episode.

I did too, but I find this turn of events somewhat encouraging.

The premise of the show, obviously, is that Walt is in a slow decline and his moral compass has been eroding. But Walt's character is obviously the protagonist, and this sudden shift to being the antagonist strikes me as an arc that will conclude with him coming to Jesus, so to speak.

Normally, it's not all that odd that an antagonist becomes a protagonist. But in this case, there aren't any characters that people want to root for against Walt. People like Jesse, but they don't want to see he and Walt butt heads. Same with Mike prior to yesterday. And I don't think anyone is rooting for the D.E.A. to ultimately catch Walt.

So my thinking is that Walt will conclude this first half of the final season as a bad guy, but they'll bring him full circle in the end. Even if they do that, one wonders what the cost will be.

camisadelgolf
08-27-2012, 07:16 PM
To be fair, Mike wasn't exactly a saint to Walt the whole time they worked together. When Mike worked for Fring, he would've tried to kill Mike on command (and did) with no questions asked.

Redsfaithful
08-27-2012, 07:16 PM
Walt will end up dead or in jail. It's a foregone conclusion that's had plenty of foreshadowing (look at this season alone with Scarface and Heat popping up.)

The creator has said the show is about turning Mr. Chips into Scarface. The only question for me is how it will go down.

I stopped rooting for Walt when he poisoned the little kid (why that pushed me over the edge while his other murders and shenanigans didn't, I have no idea, but it's fiction so there you go) but he's turned particularly nasty this season. I don't think he's done yet either, I could easily see Skyler having a similar end to Mike. I'm sure at some point it will cross his mind that it would be an easy coverup to say she just left, what with all her mental issues they are pushing.

The only other end to the show I could plausibly see is him getting his empire, but with his family dead and no friends. He's lost sight of everything, and has even said he has nothing except the business. Just a formality now to make that literal.

Brutus
08-27-2012, 07:20 PM
Walt will end up dead or in jail. It's a foregone conclusion that's had plenty of foreshadowing (look at this season alone with Scarface and Heat popping up.)

The creator has said the show is about turning Mr. Chips into Scarface. The only question for me is how it will go down.

I stopped rooting for Walt when he poisoned the little kid (why that pushed me over the edge while his other murders and shenanigans didn't, I have no idea, but it's fiction so there you go) but he's turned particularly nasty this season. I don't think he's done yet either, I could easily see Skyler having a similar end to Mike. I'm sure at some point it will cross his mind that it would be an easy coverup to say she just left, what with all her mental issues they are pushing.

The only other end to the show I could plausibly see is him getting his empire, but with his family dead and no friends. He's lost sight of everything, and has even said he has nothing except the business. Just a formality now to make that literal.

There are such things as swerves. The foreshadowing could be a device to make everyone believe something is heading down one path, and it winds up going down another. Vince Gilligan has been forthcoming about the influences for the show and the character, but it doesn't mean he doesn't have a different vision for the endgame.

Nothing is a foregone conclusion. Vince is a smart man. He's not going to give away the ending of a show that has had people on the edge of their seats for five seasons. If he wants you to be sure something is foregone, there's a decent bet it's not.

Redsfaithful
08-27-2012, 07:50 PM
We will see, but I'll be very surprised if Walt ends up a winner and happy out of all this.

Razor Shines
08-27-2012, 08:23 PM
I did too, but I find this turn of events somewhat encouraging.

The premise of the show, obviously, is that Walt is in a slow decline and his moral compass has been eroding. But Walt's character is obviously the protagonist, and this sudden shift to being the antagonist strikes me as an arc that will conclude with him coming to Jesus, so to speak.

Normally, it's not all that odd that an antagonist becomes a protagonist. But in this case, there aren't any characters that people want to root for against Walt. People like Jesse, but they don't want to see he and Walt butt heads. Same with Mike prior to yesterday. And I don't think anyone is rooting for the D.E.A. to ultimately catch Walt.

So my thinking is that Walt will conclude this first half of the final season as a bad guy, but they'll bring him full circle in the end. Even if they do that, one wonders what the cost will be.

Why not? I'd love to see Hank be the one to put him away.....either in jail or the ultimate put away.

19braves77
08-27-2012, 08:39 PM
I re-watched the eppy and does anybody else think that the plant that they show while they are eating dinner a Lilly of the Valley?

That last quote by Mike before he was shot was great:

"You and Your Pride and Your Ego!
“It’s all on you,” “We had a good thing going with Fring."
"It all ran like clockwork!"

We all have met someone like Walt in our life. It could be a friend. a neighbor,or a family member. They never realized how good they have it until its too late.

One thing that I like with Vince is early on he got a lot of criticism for glamorizing meth. I don't know anybody that would want to be involved in the headaches of making meth.

kaldaniels
08-27-2012, 08:41 PM
I've watched all the episodes, but I can't remember this fact.

Why did Fring try to kill Walt? Mike referred to Walt not leaving well enough alone or the like.

19braves77
08-27-2012, 08:41 PM
And I don't think anyone is rooting for the D.E.A. to ultimately catch Walt.

I want Hank to figure it out and for Jessie to get away with it.

Razor Shines
08-27-2012, 08:53 PM
I've watched all the episodes, but I can't remember this fact.

Why did Fring try to kill Walt? Mike referred to Walt not leaving well enough alone or the like.

Walt ran over Fring's drug dealers to save Jesse.

19braves77
08-27-2012, 08:56 PM
Walt ran over Fring's drug dealers to save Jesse.

Walts loyalty to Jessie. Gus didn't like Jessie from Day 1.

kaldaniels
08-27-2012, 09:20 PM
Thanks for the refresher.

sonny
08-28-2012, 11:29 AM
Here's how I see the series end. I think the downward spiral continues until Walt has lost everything, including his empire. In his desperation, he makes some mistakes blowing his cover and eventually a shoot out with the DEA. After being shot and laying there dying, we get a quick zoom into Walt's eyes and then we are suddenly transported back to Walt sitting in the doctors office receiving the news that he has cancer. The whole series is a quick thought of Walt in light of his received tragic news.

It's likely not going to happen, but that'd be neat.

Homer Bailey
08-28-2012, 12:09 PM
Here's how I see the series end. I think the downward spiral continues until Walt has lost everything, including his empire. In his desperation, he makes some mistakes blowing his cover and eventually a shoot out with the DEA. After being shot and laying there dying, we get a quick zoom into Walt's eyes and then we are suddenly transported back to Walt sitting in the doctors office receiving the news that he has cancer. The whole series is a quick thought of Walt in light of his received tragic news.

I'd be furious. That would be a terrible, terrible ending.

Z-Fly
08-28-2012, 12:44 PM
In the first episode, they showed him eating at a dinner hiding out. I would assume they go back to that at some point.

08-28-2012, 01:48 PM
Like Jesse, I'm out.

Still some great scenes and great acting, but just too outlandish of a plot with too many plot holes.

It was explained to me after previous episodes that the plot holes were due to Walt's insanity. So when did Mike go insane? No way that a guy who vets a crew for a living would hire such an incompetent boob as a lawyer, a lawyer who would flip on him and everyone the second he's caught. Plus no way Mike would call Saul to help him get his escape bag, or let Walt be the one that gets it for him. Mike just ain't that sloppy. and there's too many more to mention.

I said before that it was slowly becoming a Telemundo Telenovela... Well it's full on novela now. I'll keep TiVo'ing it just in case, but I just don't care what happens to the characters anymore, and have no desire to watch it.

Brutus
08-28-2012, 03:12 PM

The "it was just a dream" angle has been used on shows before, and it usually winds up alienating the viewers. I personally hate the idea and will be upset if that's the route it goes.

Redsfaithful
08-28-2012, 03:14 PM
I agree that Walt bringing the escape bag is a problem. I guess you can either buy that he wouldn't want to risk Jesse and thought Saul might be watched or not, but it is unlikely.

Worse I thought was Mike not taking Walt's keys with him when he tied him to the radiator.

That being said, finishing shows is always rough. The Wire's fifth season was its worst. There's only 9 episodes left so I'll certainly stick around to see how it ends, and I'm still enjoying the show despite the flaws.

Brutus
08-28-2012, 03:15 PM
Like Jesse, I'm out.

Still some great scenes and great acting, but just too outlandish of a plot with too many plot holes.

It was explained to me after previous episodes that the plot holes were due to Walt's insanity. So when did Mike go insane? No way that a guy who vets a crew for a living would hire such an incompetent boob as a lawyer, a lawyer who would flip on him and everyone the second he's caught. Plus no way Mike would call Saul to help him get his escape bag, or let Walt be the one that gets it for him. Mike just ain't that sloppy. and there's too many more to mention.

I said before that it was slowly becoming a Telemundo Telenovela... Well it's full on novela now. I'll keep TiVo'ing it just in case, but I just don't care what happens to the characters anymore, and have no desire to watch it.

I'm not sure why you find this so outlandish. First off, Mike does background checks on everyone. What would come up in a background check that would let Mike know a lawyer would flip on someone? Even the best background checks wouldn't catch everyone, nor would anyone be perfect at reading someone. If anything, given almost all criminals are eventually caught, it's more outlandish to think even someone like Mike wouldn't eventually slip up. Mike's pride was bound to haunt him at some point, as he often was practically bragging that his guys would never flip as he was sure of their selections. Criminals that start feeling like they're too good to mess up often do mess up. Mike's over-confidence was bound to catch up with him if you're looking at it from a practical standpoint.

As far as Mike calling Saul to help him get his escape bag, why not? Mike even said on the phone he couldn't get near the airport because they were watching for him. He needed to have someone pick it up that wasn't being tailed. He let Walt do it because Walt clearly had an investment in Mike's security.

I really don't see how you think this is so outlandish. If anything, the writing of this show has been very realistic and it's been a very controlled, methodical development.

08-28-2012, 03:35 PM
I'm not sure why you find this so outlandish. First off, Mike does background checks on everyone. What would come up in a background check that would let Mike know a lawyer would flip on someone? Even the best background checks wouldn't catch everyone, nor would anyone be perfect at reading someone. If anything, given almost all criminals are eventually caught, it's more outlandish to think even someone like Mike wouldn't eventually slip up. Mike's pride was bound to haunt him at some point, as he often was practically bragging that his guys would never flip as he was sure of their selections. Criminals that start feeling like they're too good to mess up often do mess up. Mike's over-confidence was bound to catch up with him if you're looking at it from a practical standpoint.

As far as Mike calling Saul to help him get his escape bag, why not? Mike even said on the phone he couldn't get near the airport because they were watching for him. He needed to have someone pick it up that wasn't being tailed. He let Walt do it because Walt clearly had an investment in Mike's security.

I really don't see how you think this is so outlandish. If anything, the writing of this show has been very realistic and it's been a very controlled, methodical development.

If Mike could buy the silence of nine criminals, he could buy the silence of one lawyer. And i'm sure there are more people in Mike's Rolodex than Saul, Walt and Jesse, lol.

Brutus
08-28-2012, 03:46 PM
If Mike could buy the silence of nine criminals, he could buy the silence of one lawyer. And i'm sure there are more people in Mike's Rolodex than Saul, Walt and Jesse, lol.

Perhaps he didn't think, because of legal implications, he would be burned by an attorney (after all, one of the reasons he was using his attorney is because of an expectation of attorney-client privilege). Besides, the attorney was already on his payroll... wouldn't that have automatically been assumed that his silence was understood since he was being paid to represent Mike?

As far as his Rolodex, maybe he felt most of his guys were compromised? Even if one accepts that Mike knows other people, it doesn't invalidate his rationale to call Saul (no pun intended).

You're really overthinking this. And it seems to me that you're making assumptions that the show has not really established to be able to make.

Just because he didn't call who you think he should call, i.e. some non-existent character, doesn't make his choice outlandish.

WildcatFan
08-28-2012, 04:10 PM

This is how Jonathan Banks, who played Mike, explains the end of his character. Came from an interview with Vulture.com.

http://www.vulture.com/2012/08/breaking-bad-jonathan-banks-interview-mike.html?mid=twitter_vulture

It’s easy to wrap a nice bow on it and say, “He worked with bad men who knew they were bad men.” Just before I go to kill Lydia, I go to kill one of my own guys. He tries to explain to me why he did it, he had to do it, the pressure that was on him. And Mike’s response was, “I know. I understand.” Then he shoots him. I think that’s the world that Mike lived in. And I think every time he pulled the trigger, he went deeper into his own hell and lost another piece of himself. I can justify why Mike had his guard down at the end: There had been too many killings.

It's always interesting to me to hear how actors work their motivations into the story, and we may never see it.

Razor Shines
08-28-2012, 04:24 PM
I read an interview where Banks said viewers should have been screaming "No half measures, Mike!!" during this season.

19braves77
08-28-2012, 04:33 PM
Like Jesse, I'm out.

Seriously with your way of thinking you should have stopped with Gus's face was blown off and he walked 15 years to adjust his tie before dropping dead.

Just in enjoy what Vince gives us each week: A very uncomfortable journey but clear and yet complex treatment of morality.

08-28-2012, 06:00 PM
Seriously with your way of thinking you should have stopped with Gus's face was blown off and he walked 15 years to adjust his tie before dropping dead.

Just in enjoy what Vince gives us each week: A very uncomfortable journey but clear and yet complex treatment of morality.

I actually had problems with the believability of the show way before that. I kept watching because there are so many other great elements to it. It's just too much for me now. Like I said, I just don't care how it ends up or what happens to the characters anymore. But I usually feel that way after the third season of every drama, so lasting this long is a testimant to how good the show has been.

MWM
08-29-2012, 07:38 AM
The Wire's fifth season was its worst.

There were only 4 seasons of The Wire. There was no 5th season. There were only 2 Godfathers as well. :D

WildcatFan
08-29-2012, 09:31 AM
There were only 4 seasons of The Wire. There was no 5th season. There were only 2 Godfathers as well. :D

I always wished they would make more Star Wars movies after Return of the Jedi, but I guess it'll never happen.

bigredmechanism
08-29-2012, 09:40 AM

It was weird how they just skipped Season 2 as well.

Redsfaithful
08-29-2012, 09:55 AM
It was weird how they just skipped Season 2 as well.

Season 5 could have been skipped, I think Simon was too close to the newspaper industry, too much inside baseball. And the McNulty story thread was silly.

Season 2 wasn't my favorite but it was vital to the overall thesis.

Homer Bailey
08-29-2012, 10:23 AM
I've never understood the criticism of season 2. It's different, but I thought it was awesome.

MWM
08-29-2012, 10:31 AM
I really liked season 2 as well, but not as much as 3 and 4 and probably not as much as 1. Season 5 was just some other show with the same characters. Season 3 was pure genius.

Redsfaithful
08-29-2012, 01:43 PM
4-3-1-2-5 for me.

Homer Bailey
08-29-2012, 03:25 PM
4-3-1-2-5 for me.

Same for me, but huge gap between seasons 2 and 5. Still really, really enjoyed season 2. Five was just awful.

Z-Fly
09-02-2012, 11:07 PM
Can someone update me on the WW thing? I can't remember.

kaldaniels
09-02-2012, 11:12 PM

Gail wrote it.

WildcatFan
09-03-2012, 02:10 AM

Hank found a note Gail wrote to a W.W., and when hank jokingly said it could be Walter White (which it was), Walt told hank it was probably Walt Whitman. Now hank finds a book with a note again to "My other W.W." in walt's house. Now he knows who his Heisenberg really is.

What an episode. The prison scene made me sick, and Jesse tossing his gun away after Walt's visit was one of the most powerful things I've seen. These next 44 weeks are going to be agonizing. It's Hank vs Walt next summer, and I'm Team Orange all the way.

19braves77
09-03-2012, 02:47 AM
Hank found a note Gail wrote to a W.W., and when hank jokingly said it could be Walter White (which it was), Walt told hank it was probably Walt Whitman. Now hank finds a book with a note again to "My other W.W." in walt's house. Now he knows who his Heisenberg really is.

What an episode. The prison scene made me sick, and Jesse tossing his gun away after Walt's visit was one of the most powerful things I've seen. These next 44 weeks are going to be agonizing. It's Hank vs Walt next summer, and I'm Team Orange all the way.

To add a little more:

The book that is signed is a collection of poems that contains a poem called "Gliding Over All" and another poem called "When I Learn'd the Astronomer" which Gale and Walt discussed during one of their cooking sessions. Gale bought Walt the book has a gift. Vince said that scene was filmed to prove that he had an end game in place due to the critics saying he is making this up as he goes....

19braves77
09-03-2012, 02:53 AM
My favorite quote:

" Tagging trees is easier then chasing monsters"

09-03-2012, 03:25 AM
So WW can pull off eliminating 8 guys in three different prisons in a two minute period, but is dumb enough to leave incriminating evidence in his bathroom when his DEA agent brother in law comes over? Really????

Brutus
09-03-2012, 06:39 AM
So WW can pull off eliminating 8 guys in three different prisons in a two minute period, but is dumb enough to leave incriminating evidence in his bathroom when his DEA agent brother in law comes over? Really????

Are you serious? Who's going to think to move a book from a bathroom?

That's a minor detail that anyone could forget.