PDA

View Full Version : Dodgers fire hitting coach

50YrRedsFan
07-20-2011, 06:17 PM
SAN FRANCISCO -- The inability of the Dodgers' offense to score runs and win games cost hitting coach Jeff Pentland his job Wednesday.

Pentland, 64, was told following Tuesday night's 5-3 loss to the Giants and the team was told in a morning meeting before Wednesday's Clayton Kershaw-Tim Lincecum matchup. Assistant Dave Hansen, a protege of Pentland, was promoted on an interim basis.

bshall2105
07-20-2011, 06:29 PM
I'm devastated

Vottomatic
07-20-2011, 06:48 PM
If the Reds acquired Ethier or Kemp, they'd be hitting .220 after Jacoby worked with them.

texasdave
07-20-2011, 07:09 PM
SAN FRANCISCO -- The inability of the Dodgers' offense to score runs and win games cost hitting coach Jeff Pentland his job Wednesday.

Pentland, 64, was told following Tuesday night's 5-3 loss to the Giants and the team was told in a morning meeting before Wednesday's Clayton Kershaw-Tim Lincecum matchup. Assistant Dave Hansen, a protege of Pentland, was promoted on an interim basis.

Ummm, if you fired the coach for a lack of performance, why would you put his protege in charge?

mu4103
07-20-2011, 08:09 PM
Who made this call? The Dodgers offense has done surprisingly well having 0 to work with. Kemp has turned into a top 3 hitter in the game. Either has become a great hitter. Isn't Jamey Carroll hitting over .330? I know Furcal can't hit his weight and Loney has never been able to hit, but Furcal has been injured and Loney has never proven to be the hitter people thought he would be.

Very unexpected to me. McCourt needs to fire his marriage counselor and his therapist, but the Dodgers' hitting has nothing to do with players under-performing. It has to do with having no players. I really hope McCourt didn't have a say in it. If I was the coach I would go to bankruptcy court and see if the government would force the team to keep me for the time being. Without knowing the specifics this sounds ridiculous.